Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2020, 15:25   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How are you spending time in the lockdown?

We have re organized our day to two square meals instead of three. So brunch at 11AM/1130AM followed by an early dinner at 6:30PM American style. Less burden on the kitchen and the kitchen sink not to mention less load on the stomach.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 15:36   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
... Less burden on the kitchen and the kitchen sink not to mention less load on the stomach.
I realized I've been skipping dinner pretty much every alternate day, don't get as hungry sitting and working at a desk. Club that with a midnight walk inside the apartment complex to de-stress after work, and the scale says I dropped a kilo last week, not that I needed to!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 15:38   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I realized I've been skipping dinner pretty much every alternate day, don't get as hungry sitting and working at a desk. Club that with a midnight walk inside the apartment complex to de-stress after work, and the scale says I dropped a kilo last week, not that I needed to!
Send me your scales
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 15:45   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

In the Netherlands the lock down is (still?) a little less restricted. We can still go out and do our supermarket shopping. You are allowed to go out for a bit of fresh air and exercise.

Still, most shops have closed down, many people will work from home, schools have closed down. Restaurants, cafes etc are all closed.

As my wife came home last week, having spend more than 24 hours travelling across three international airports and two different planes, we are self isolating for the next two weeks.

We are extremely fortunate to have a large house, garden and of course I have my garage with my (classic) cars I can fiddle with. I am used to working from home, so for me nothing new, other than I have never done it for such a long time. Usually, I would be travelling around the world extensively and only work from home the odd day or week.

We spend a lot of time on our hobbies and interest and the garden needs a lot of work this time of the year.

We have also taken up family-video calls with our kids and their partners. They are all working from home as well. Last Saturday we had our first Dorrestein-Clan-Zoom-Video-Meet. Everybody had gotten themselves something to drink and some nibbles, just like we do if they come to visit us.

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-img_2528.jpg

Good fun, not as good as meeting f2f. But under the circumstances it is good to stay in touch with everybody. This Zoom app works really well and is very simple to install.

Stay safe, stay healthy!

Jeroen

You see my daughter making a toast, nothing alcoholic, she is a mummy-soon-to-be!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st March 2020 at 16:19. Reason: Removed duplicate paragraphs.
Jeroen is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 17:39   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

You know what's going to be the most crowded place after the lockdown lifts (21 days or whenever it actually gets over) ?
Malls ? Supermarkets ? Cinemas ? Parks ? Bus/railway stations ?
No.

Barber shops and beauty salons.
Kid and myself were aleady overdue to cut our hair, when we went into self lockdown at the start of March. Now hair has become unmanageably thick and long (saibaba) after a month. Itchy and sweaty. Royal pain.

Wife offered to be barber for both of us. Thinks she is a skill master. I didn't agree. She kept pestering for a week, didn't agree. Her logical argument is "come on, big deal. As if you are a well groomed man, you are at best a neanderthal who types on whatsapp ; besides, there is no one apart from me and your son, to look at you". Logical, but nope. Didn't budge. The mental fatigue of isolation is already draining my spirits. Didn't want a further dent to my sense of well being by looking at an even more ridiculous version of my gorilla face in the mirror.

Finally, taking pity on her desperation to prove her worthiness, relented and agreed for her to cut my son's hair first. If good, she can cut mine the next day. Tools = my electric shaver, which also has a pull out trimmer. Not much power, good only for facial hair or soft baby hair. So, scientifically, it can't be useful to cut strong thick hair on a person's head. But science is not a succesful medium for argument between husband and wife. She pulled out all stops, fetched some combs and scissors from the "grooming" section of her ridiculously large real estate occupying cupboard. Watching it was like watching someone get ready to do surgery with kitchen knives. I kept smiling, encouraging her new zeal for playing beautician. Afterall, it was my son's head at stake, not mine. The little devil already looks like Dennis the menace and has been testing our patience all the time. Any hair removal from his head, will be ok.

And then, it was D-Day yesterday. The preparations were elaborate, procedures like charging the trimmer etc were completed, newspaper sheeting of floor done, baby chair in place. Everything was professional grade. I kept myself to my laptop, as instructed, so that I wouldn't "micro manage" our shehnaz hussaini.

½ hour later, it was done.

My usually overenthusiastic boy, looked glum and his eyes were welled up. My wife strutted around in pride as if she had just solved the Rubik's cube. I looked. And looked again. The poor child had a rat eat his hair all along the bottom of his hairline - sides&back. She said mushroom cut. I kept quiet, struggling to smile and mutter some words of encouragement. Seeing the sadness in his eyes, looked at my precious baby and said "wow, looks so nice, very beautiful". Unfortunately, wife also heard it and sighed in relief and fulfillment. Kid smiled back, now that his appa said he looked beautiful.

My precious looks like a 4 year old Kim Jong Un, now. Yes.

Thankfully, no one can see him, except his grandparents on video calls. But I know whom to point my finger at, in case they protest.
Love of my life that she is, no haircut from my dear wife for me. No way.
venkyhere is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 20:43   #51
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
You know what's going to be the most crowded place after the lockdown lifts (21 days or whenever it actually gets over) ?
Malls ? Supermarkets ? Cinemas ? Parks ? Bus/railway stations ?
No.

Barber shops and beauty salons.
Bombay has been under curfew since before the nation so our haircuts are even longer overdue. You definitely have a way with words, should consider starting a blog if you don't have one.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 11:01   #52
Team-BHP Support

Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 11:04   #53
BHPian

It's boring at times, but i enjoy the peace. I've been watching a ton of movies and reading some books. the books i read during this lockdown
  • The kite runner by Khaled Hosseini
  • A Thousand splendid suns by
    Khaled Hosseini
  • Epidemic by Reid Wilson
  • Black flags by Joby Warrick
  • The things they carried by Tim O'Brien
I'm in my final semester and it'll be interesting to see how things pan out.
Old 5th April 2020, 14:23   #54
Senior - BHPian

This Lockdown has been very useful for me as I was able to complete a lot of pending works. Chief of which was reviving my very old VHS tapes which were infested with Fungus and I thought they were done for. Fortunately you can revive such tapes, so don't throw them away !.

I made of vlog of it so if anyone wants to watch that DIY can watch that here

If this lockdown is going to extend I will have to revive my dead PS3 as well.
stanjohn123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 16:13   #55
BHPian

Well, the lock down has certainly been making me super restless as I am someone who is not a big fan of work from home. I really miss working from the office and given the fact I run a game development studio, the anxiety levels are at an all time high for me but I am learning to cope up. On the bright side our team has been able to finish a bunch of games that we launched and continue to launch of various platforms and the lockdown means that games consumption are at an all time high so it is certainly keeping us on our toes

On another note, I managed to finish Half Life Alyx on VR and really enjoyed the week that I spent on the game. It really helped diverting my attention. Wondering if I can find some time to play another title or two that can help for another 10 days! Otherwise we have a bunch of games we need to develop and finish!
Old 5th April 2020, 16:59   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Microsoft are running a Xbox games Spring sale for another 9 days. You can save upto 80% and download the games directly onto your console. Lots of really good games are on sale. Check it out!
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 17:16   #57
BHPian

I try to maintain a normal routine. However, that's easier said than done. I wake up late around 8 AM. Do my workout for an hour after that bathe & have breakfast.

I attend to emails & make a few calls with my team members. This takes no more than a couple of hours after which I am pretty much free the rest of the day.

To avoid going bonkers from boredom, I am reading a lot. I have found a balance of reading serious fiction & some light but pleasing stuff. I am reading Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" (an intellectual's version of Da Vinci Code if you ask me) & my favorite Amar Chita Katha & Tintin Comics.
How are you spending time in the lockdown?-img_20200405_171105.jpg

I must make special mention of ACK comics. I took advantage of their Free Downloads & downloaded all my childhood favorite titles. In these worrisome times, it gives me a lot of peace of mind to read them and relive my childhood when things were simpler. I am not a very spiritual person & I am quite surprised at the therapeutic effect these comics are having on me.

Stay home & stay safe all TBHPians. Hum Honge Kaamyaab!!!
laser2707 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 17:19   #58

I'm a student still in 2nd year of my UG and this is how my day goes.

Sleep :- 8 hrs
Study :- 5 hrs
Netflix/Movies :- 4 hrs
Online Classes :- 2 hrs
Phone calls to friends/family :- 1 hrs
The rest 4 hrs is spend on miscellaneous activities like eating, gardening, social media and so.

To be honest, I'm kind of enjoying this lockdown period, except for my evening walk. That is something very dear to me and I seriously miss it. No points for guessing that would be the first thing I would do after the lockdown lifts.
Deowrat17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 17:54   #59
BHPian

Look what I've managed to assemble!
Good old lego in new clothes by Xiaomi.
Next goal: disassemble and re-assemble it into a new model.

After 3 hours of childhood:
How are you spending time in the lockdown?-img_20200405_17345501.jpeg
How are you spending time in the lockdown?-img_20200405_17452301.jpeg

(PS.: I keep telling myself, you're never too old for lego!)
Mr.Bentley is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 19:18   #60
BHPian

Mid of march, I was in Pune and my whole family ( wife, kids, parents ) were in my home town - Indore. I was managing every thing like cooking, cleaning, dusting etc in Pune all by myself. Anticipating a lock down I decided to drive down to Indore.

On March 16th, I started from Pune at 05:30 Am in the morning, and I was in my home @ Indore by 02:30, exactly in 9 hours. ( I was surprise). I only stopped to attend natural calls and once for fuel.

Now during lock down, engaging my 4 years old daughter is getting difficult day by day. All her toys are in Pune, out of which we miss Mega blocks the most. We are trying keep her screen time limited to 60-90 minutes. To keep her engage we are doing following :
- Draw picture of her favorite cartoon characters and color them.
- play Doll house with her mickey mouse club house kit.
- My dad drew a board of Chausar ( and old Indian ludo like board game) and started playing with her.
- little writing practice.
- I read her few books, mostly Pepa pig cartoon books. Have downloaded old India classic tales 'panch tantra ki kahaniya' on Kindle, will start with that today.
- Next we are going try paper craft.
INJAXN is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed