Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2020, 17:13   #76
BHPian

Re: How are you spending time in the lockdown?

Unfortunately no spare time for me as it’s work at full swing at office and being in IT and everyone working from home means non stop escalations and meetings. But, shut down my laptop and spent some time with my daughter (6 yrs) and we learnt some magic tricks which she now does with aplomb, did a mono acting with masks for her friends over zoom, she is learning Carnatic music and helped setup infra for them. No Netflix or Amazon prime intentionally for anyone at home. She is now learning glass paintings and Origami.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 17:21   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Another thing I have managed to do is help wifey make some Dalgona Coffee and Chocolate Donuts at home !
They look delicious! My sister introduced me to Dalgona Coffee very recently. I dont know how I missed that till now, but its my favourite thing now!

Quote:
Thanks for bringing this to light ! What an amazing build up that is. It is identical to what we used to have earlier named LEGO Mechanica/ Technica. Never knew Mi Xiaomi had anything like this on offer.
I'm trying to get my hands on a LEGO Technica kit, I'll ask my friends to get one from the USA, once this pandemic situation settles down.

This one by Xiaomi though, is a little inferior to the Technica. We don't get any of those motors in this kit. Good old gears do the part here. On the upside, this one costs a fraction of what LEGO technica costs. It screams VFM

Quote:
Will take up this project with my 4 year old son during this lockdown. Thanks once again.
Perfect thing to do with the little ones!
Back then, Lego was my favourite thing being a kid. I hope you'll have as much fun that Inhad back then! Do post images of the project after making it!
Stay safe and have fun!
Mr.Bentley is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 17:49   #78
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, I don't know how I'll cope up after this lock down fracas ends. I haven't set alarms since March 21st. Haven't worked since then. Have watched a few movies. But have been going to the terrace regularly with my camera to either shoot birds or flowers. Bathe as I wish, but eat regularly and exercise regularly. My terrace has become my sanctuary. I don't cook but make coffee and tea and do the dishes. Waiting for this lock down to end.
Attached Thumbnails
How are you spending time in the lockdown?-dsc_8045.jpg  

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-dsc_8049.jpg  

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-topaz-75102.jpg  

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-topaz-7696.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 6th April 2020 at 17:58.
Durango Dude is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 18:52   #79
BHPian

I've been getting more into gaming. Putting in a lot of hours on Forza Motorsport 7 and F1 2019. Getting into leagues on these games is a really good way to pass time. Competitive and clean racers makes for a fun and intense experience. All BHPians on the XBox can set up a TeamBHP championship.
rahulcmoulee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 20:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

We had a Tower Fan in our home whose Oscillating Motor was not working.
So I thought of troubleshooting it on 30-03-2020.

Since initially I did not know where the Oscillating Motor was installed (later came to know that it was below the Base of Tower Fan), I decided to rip the Body of Tower Fan from Top and also clean the internal parts. This Fan was purchased in May 2015 and since then it was not cleaned from Inside.

During this experiment I found out that the Wires of Oscillating Motor had got cut due to them rubbing against the floor of room during Oscillation.

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-01-tower-fan.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-02-after-cleaning-top-cover.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-02-before-cleaning.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-03-below-top-cover.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-04-left-screws.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-05-right-screws.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-06-removed-front-panel.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-08-inner-view.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-10.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-11-below-top-cover-after-cleaning.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-11.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-13.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-14.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-15.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-16.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-17.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-18.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-20-motor.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-21.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-22.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-23-bearing-balls.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-24-front-panel.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-25-dirty-front-panel.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-26-cleaned-surrounding-motor.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-27-cleaned-back-cover.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-28.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-29-slot-protection-flap.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-30.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-31-cable-protection-flap.jpg

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-32.jpg
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 22:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, welcome to Team-BHP !! Good to see another Calcuttan joining the Forum ! Hope to catch up with you soon in some of our meets.
Thank you so very much. This is a privilege that was worth the longing! I guess I have seen you a long time ago at Suman da's place in Topsia with your Endy, you were pointing to the air box and seemed to be in a hurry hence could not have a conversation then.

Quote:
I guess you omitted reading the instructions on the Duster Cover and on the Duster Rejuvenator. This is what I usually do :
  1. Wash the Duster after taking out the plastic/ wooden handle
  2. Kept it overnight submerged in water
  3. Next Day gave it a wash again and the results are equally bad
  4. Left it for 24 hours to dry normally under the sun clipped it to the grill
  5. Next Day Sprayed the Wax and Left it to dry for 1 hour, again sprayed the way and again left it to dry for 1 hour and then again repeated the process
By the End of Day, your duster is ready to use and the results are fantastic/ better than original !

I have 4 dusters and I did the same for all including the Hand Duster for Interior Cleaning.
Yes exactly! I had went through this thread previously before diving in https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ar-duster.html (DIY: Cleaning & rejuvenating the Jopasu Car Duster). The problem facing me is the strands have become a bit curly and are not straight. Though after 4 generous spraying sessions the strands have become better or "waxy"..
arindam.dino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 13:32   #82
BHPian

Here is what I am doing:

7:30 AM: Wake up

9:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Attend the company's daily briefing video call on Microsoft Teams.

10:00 AM - 11:30 AM: Work on some important reports related to my work.

11:30 AM - 12:30 PM: Lunch break when I watch some series like friends/HIMYM.

12:30 PM - 4:00 PM: Working on some new ideas on how to help my company survive this pandemic and it's after-effects OR I end up taking a powernap

4:00 PM - 6:00 PM - working on a new article to be published on the effects of COVID-19 on my industry (Aquaculture).

6:00 PM - 9:00 PM - Have dinner and catch with my friends and family. My social interaction has increased quite a lot in the past 2 weeks and I'm blessed to have friends in every corner of the globe, so I try to talk to them and understand the scenario in different countries and continents.

9:00 PM - 3 AM: Watch some series, I recently started watching 'The Office' or play some video games - I just finished AC odyssey, now I'm enjoying Euro Truck Simulator! Intend to start RD2 soon.

3 AM - 7:30 AM: Sleeping time.

As you can see, it is not a particularly healthy lifestyle (wasn't before the pandemic either). I barely even walk around, my diet plan is in shambles and I just don't sleep enough at night (I used to get a good 6-8 hours before the lockdown). However, I'm still trying to keep my mental health in place by socializing online since I live alone and have been indoor continuously for almost 20 days now.

We should understand that while we have pressures to be more productive, especially given the apocalyptic predictions post-pandemic, it is important to be patient with ourselves if we can't meet our daily targets of productivity since this is a difficult time for us mentally and physically

Thank you.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th April 2020 at 14:56. Reason: Edited on request. Thanks.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 14:13   #83
Senior - BHPian

I have been indulging in some cooking for the family (particularly on weekends or evenings when I had no meetings). A few dishes done recently

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-food1_1.jpg
Paneer Tikka and Paneer Achari Tikka

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-food2.jpg
Chicken Schezwan

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-food4_1.jpg
Chicken Lollipop (Used the aluminium foil sparingly)

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-food5.jpg
Fish Moly (Pearlspot/Karimeen)

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-food8_1.jpg
Chicken Tikka and Chicken Pahadi Tikka

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-food7_1.jpg
Paneer Tikka and Paneer Pahadi Tikka
pjbiju is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 15:09   #84
Senior - BHPian

How lockdown redefines our weekends

Before March 2020, I used to look forward to a nice cycle ride with friends on Saturday mornings and a car meet (or something to do with cars on Sunday). If there was nothing to do, I gave a nice wash to both my cars - the Punto Abarth and the Palio 1.6. However, its now been almost a month that I haven't even seen the Palio (it's parked in another building about a km away).

But now, the situation has changed and the last weekend felt like any ordinary day! In fact, I'm glad to have some work to do, otherwise would have been a totally different situation. How are you guys doing it? Any tips to differentiate the weekend in these situations?

How are you spending time in the lockdown?-2-shell.jpg

Quote:
It’s a question those of us with non-essential jobs have had plenty of time to ask in recent weeks as schools, offices and public spaces of all kinds have closed to slow the spread of coronavirus. Confined to our homes and stripped of our daily routines, many in self-isolation have found that time has become a strange and amorphous thing that can’t be defined by a calendar.

If you’re still in pajamas and both the TV and your work laptop are on, does it matter what time it is? If you’re still ping-ponging between work that needs finishing and kids who need snacks, does it matter what day of the week it is? What is a weekend, really, and is it even possible to have one in a quarantined world?
Quote:
Why do weekends matter? Unlike the 24-hour daily rotation of the Earth or its year-long journey around the Sun, the seven-day week is a purely social construct, as the journalist Katrina Onstad notes in her book The Weekend Effect: The Life-Changing Benefits of Taking Time Off and Challenging the Cult of Overwork.

In fact, the two-day weekend was in part born from another economic crisis, Onstad says. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, many industries that had not yet adopted the 40-hour workweek cut employee schedules back to five days a week, so that fewer working hours could be distributed among more people. By 1938, the 40-hour workweek was enshrined into law with the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Quote:
How society will change its habits in response to this crisis remains to be seen. For individuals, though, establishing some kind of structure to the day and week is a critical component to surviving the uncertainty and strain of the coming weeks.

The content of your routine isn’t as important as the fact that you have one, Eyal says. The current crisis may be an opportunity to shift things around and create a schedule that accommodates your rhythms instead of an employer’s. And you also may find there are some things you like just as they are.
Source
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 15:22   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How lockdown redefines our weekends

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised at how it's going. On weekdays, I'm usually out of the house at 730am and back only by 830pm. Weekends I'm usually out on weekend trips or at the very least outdoors for most of the day. I thought I'd lose it, staying indoors for this long, but so far, so good. I guess hearing the stories of people who have lost their livelihoods and are generally much, much worse off is making me realize how very, very lucky I am.

As far as defining where the workday ends and where the weekend begins, I've always found that pretty easy. Unless I have a really pressing deadline, I switch off the laptop at 5pm. Perhaps log in just for a call if I have one later. Weekends again, I don't switch on the laptop or even check mail (either office or personal). Physically the location is the same yes, but mentally I find that helps me switch off and differentiate.

Last edited by am1m : 7th April 2020 at 15:27.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 15:56   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

A normal working day is as packed as it was before with some additional time spent for overcoming the inefficiencies of remote working. So from that perspective the weekend remains the same as before. Avoid work related stuff and focus on the stuff to be done at home.

I normally use the bike to go to work and the car does duty only on weekends. A drive out, a movie plan typically happen every weekend, so that part has changed. Instead, spend the time doing some pending work on the home front, reading more books than usually done etc.

Of course, weekend is also when we do step out to buy essentials. So standing in front of the super market awaiting your turn due to social distancing measures is also a new weekend activity.

In short- for me, no drastic redefinition of weekends. Some activities replaced with others.

In addition to the weekends, this is a period with festivals and festival holidays- Ugadhi, Good Friday, Vishu to name a few. So how we celebrate our festivals are also redefined in these tough times.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 16:03   #87
Team-BHP Support

I'm working from home and fully productive so now, I really look forward to the weekends. On weekdays, I have office and house work. Weekends give respite from office work.

On the other hand, there is 0 socialization now, whereas otherwise, almost every weekend was spent traveling or meeting friends over social activities.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 18:31   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Wow, good to see that you VCR/VCP is still in working condition, and hey I also see the good ol' CRT TV!

... brings back the memories of furry head cleaning tapes and head cleaning fluids!
Yes it really did bring back good old memories. I was surprised when the VCR was working, but then after all " It's a made in Japan" product so it's mandatory that it should work.

I also had a dedicated "Made in Taiwan" cassette cleaner but that refused to rotate the tape. So I had chuck it in the dustbin open up the VCR.

Yes, the CRT TV is also working great. But I took it out only to connect it to the VCR as I could not find the required cables to connect it to my LED. Later I found the cables to connect it to my LED TV to watch the tapes.
stanjohn123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 19:17   #89
Senior - BHPian

Had a horrendous time cutting my hair. I had a hair cut around 3 months back and was getting super uncomfortable in the heat. My wife and daughter tried their level best, but could not salvage the odd rat bite like patches. Finally took the trimmer a did a 0.5 inch tonsuring.

Advise other BHPians not to venture in to this misadventure. This is a super difficult task. Hope the lock down get extended and the hair grows back by the time office reopens.

Last edited by poloman : 7th April 2020 at 19:19.
poloman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 19:26   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Had a horrendous time cutting my hair. I had a hair cut around 3 months back and was getting super uncomfortable in the heat. My wife and daughter tried their level best, but could not salvage the odd rat bite like patches. Finally took the trimmer a did a 0.5 inch tonsuring.

Advise other BHPians not to venture in to this misadventure. This is a super difficult task. Hope the lock down get extended and the hair grows back by the time office reopens.
Illustrate your advice with a few photos
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed