Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2020, 01:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Asterix creator Albert Uderzo dies at 92

RIP Uderzo. You continue to bring tears of joy to my eyes. Whoever thought up the 'present' Coronavirus must be a fan too!.
Old 30th March 2020, 03:43   #17
BHPian

When growing up, all of us would eagerly wait for our colony library to be stocked with the latest Asterix & TinTin comics and right enough, those books would be in heavy demand for the next two months.

Rest in Peace Dear Mr Uderzo. Know that you have made millions of children very happy with your comics and there can be no one like you again.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 06:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

RIP- these people and also Herge (Tintin) shaped my 'young adulthood' ie (10-14 years).
Old 30th March 2020, 11:10   #19
BHPian

Outstanding artwork, 48 pages of pure wit in literally every frame and a phenomenally clever utilisation of history. That was pure genious. Nothing comes close in terms of a sensory assault by comics. To choose between Asterix and Tintin is like asking a parent to choose between children, but I have to hand it to Goscinny and Uderzo if I am forced to make that choice. When I am in one of those moods where I can't decide what to read, Asterix/Tintin are the safest bet. I have read them so many times I have memorised all character names. Like most people I enjoyed Asterix more as a grown up than as a child
Malyaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 14:53   #20
BHPian

Albert Uderzo was also a car connoisseur, motorsports enthusiast, and a huge Ferrari fan. A Ferrari collector since the early/mid 1970s, he had some pretty spectacular Ferraris in his lifetime, such as an F40 LM race car just to name one.

The racing theme occurred often in his comics and some of his cartoons literally featured Ferraris. In the 2008 French comedy Astérix aux Jeux olympiques, Jean Todt (Ferrari CEO at the time) and Michael Schumacher played some funny roles:

meta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:11   #21
BHPian

Deep respects to the brilliant artist! He has been a great relief for me in tough times and still will be.

The creativity, the lightheartedness and the nuances of his work are unparalleled, well, at least to me.

He will be missed. May your soul rest in peace Sir!
Old 2nd April 2020, 14:29   #22
BHPian

If anyone would like the Digitised version of all the Asterix and Obelix stories, DM me with your email Ids. More than happy to share!

Alternately you can download the format you prefer from here
epub, PDF, kindle etx.
make sure to scroll down to see the format options. The Tintin collection is also available on this page.

https://archive.org/details/Asterixcompleteset/mode/2up
Attached Thumbnails
Asterix creator Albert Uderzo dies at 92-asterix.jpg  

Asterix creator Albert Uderzo dies at 92-tintin.jpg  

Last edited by famousshoes : 2nd April 2020 at 14:59. Reason: added pics
famousshoes is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 15:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
R.I.P. He brought laughter into the lives of many. At an especially difficult time in my life when it felt everything I'd built would collapse I would curl up with an Asterix or Tintin and escape from the world..
Can totally relate to this thought sir. I too, when needed a break from this world have relied on the quick wit realistic stories of Asterix and Obelix. Sad Sad News indeed.

RIP Albert Uderzo you brought a smile to many with your thoughts, ideas and your creations. Veni Vidi Vici !!
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Asterix comic books used to be all imported with astronomical price to buy contrary to regular comics like Tinkle, Amar chitrakatha series, Chandamama, Champak, Chacha choudhury, Readers Digest etc.

Nevertheless, I ended up reading the entire series through library, friends and in whatever way I could get them. Those childhood days reading Asterix were magical and would transport me to their world through those brilliant narrative and illustration. I truly cherish those times.
Old 2nd April 2020, 22:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

RIP Uderzo. You'll always be a source of happiness in my life and in the life of my kids too.
Old 4th April 2020, 12:41   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
A charioteer named "Coronavirus" was featured in one of their Comics! You have to hand it to Goscinny & Uderzo for planting so many easter-eggs in the Asterix series. You can keep looking down the ages and still find something relevant and amusing!
A small correction sir, the comic you are referring to was not by Goscinny and Uderzo. It was published in 2017 and was written by Jean-Yves Ferri and drawn by Didier Conrad.
This is similar to Robert Ludlum books being written today, basically franchised out to other authors.
Secondly, the coronavirus is something that existed a long time ago, even the dettol label refers to it. The present variant which is creating all this nuisance is covid19 ( COrona VIrus D19)
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed