Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:37   #16
BHPian

re: IVF: A few precious eggs, a million reluctant sperms & a medical miracle!

Congrats and happy parenting! I first scrolled down towards the end and was glad to see the beautiful and blissfully sleeping child!

That's a wonderful medical miracle. As the adage goes - "When you need a miracle, just look into your child’s eye, and realize you've already created one."

I didn't catch the name of your son if you've mentioned above. If it is not too personal and can be shared, would love to learn what you've named him and the thought process behind picking that name.

Hearty congrats again.
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 14:07   #17
BHPian

re: IVF: A few precious eggs, a million reluctant sperms & a medical miracle!

Congrats Hunter3077. That's a roadtrip for you to remember.

Being on the other side of a table I would add few things for you to ponder. I am not a OB/GYN, but I treat quite a lot of "would be moms" for their medical complications and quite a few of them are IUI/IVF kinds. Hence I have shared many of their anxieties, all the while showing a stone face for them to hate or to wonder.

You are spot on about the observations about women, they are mentally stronger sex. They will physically get bruised or broken easily but the pain of that injury does little to dampen their spirit. They keep fighting back. My usual run-ins with husbands and Mother in laws would be about one question(and people working with me sometimes make fun about it), "Nothing will happen to the baby, no?". Though I know the anxiety my wrath would be immediately upon them and my usual discourse would be sort of "Your baby/Your bloodline-the fetus, is a parasite on my Patient - the Mom to be. Let me fix the earth(mom) first and you worry about the earth first, the plant(fetus) will grow on its own." Mother in laws usually disappear after this encounter, loathing to see me. But in your case you noticed the sufferings of your wife and supported her journey, which means a lot for her.

Common public and many of the doctors think medical science is black and white, which is not. Medical science is a big grey patch covering 1%(just a random small number) of the nature and the entire edifice of medical care is based on this small percentage. Nature would play funny games with even the greatest of the doctors and most doctors achieve greatness by understanding and failing in front of the nature repeatedly. Other doctors earn well and disappear in bank books. My advise to many of those desperate couples is be patient if the age is on your side and let the nature gift you something.

Last edited by aadya : 2nd April 2020 at 14:12.
aadya is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 14:59   #18
BHPian

Re: IVF: A few precious eggs, a million reluctant sperms & a medical miracle!

Congratulations, priceless emotions. Only childless couple would know the scale of your emotions. All that ends well has begun well

PCOD is very common these days. Food habits, Life style, Obesity and more importantly Stress have direct correlation to infertility. The IUI/IVF/ ovarian drilling via laparoscopy and those hormones supplements that cause nausea/mood swings and the emotional trauma coupled with social stigma, the ordeal is unimaginable, Kudos to all those women.

On a side note, IMO, natural medicines such as Ayurveda/Unani have amazing benefits as far as infertility is concerned.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 2nd April 2020 at 15:01.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 15:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thank you so much for sharing your story. A black wasp says, not easy to share it; respect to you. Salute the determination and perseverance of you two as a couple. A big congratulations to you and your wife. Wish you happy parenting and good health to the little one.

And how can I end without paying my respect to you for serving the nation in this capacity. A big salute to our forces who keep the borders secure, take part in daunting relief operations in disasters, and keep up the sovereignty of our country.
Thank you for the good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Congratulations to your wife and yourself. Gorgeous little boy! Enjoy!

Unique, beautiful and encouraging story in these very testing times.
Thanks so much for sharing!

Jeroen
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
What a beautiful story, and thank you for sharing. And along with all the automobile stories, snippets like these makes this community so unique and special.

And Congratulations!
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Congrats and happy parenting! I first scrolled down towards the end and was glad to see the beautiful and blissfully sleeping child!

That's a wonderful medical miracle. As the adage goes - "When you need a miracle, just look into your child’s eye, and realize you've already created one."

I didn't catch the name of your son if you've mentioned above. If it is not too personal and can be shared, would love to learn what you've named him and the thought process behind picking that name.

Hearty congrats again.
Thank you.
The story behind his name is interesting too. I was so convinced that I only shortlisted the names of girls. Me and my Sister-in-law would share names every day and kept shortlisting them. And we both were sure that it won't be a boy! Imagine our surprise when he landed up finally.
We named him DHRUV - Unperturbed, Unshakeable, Fiercely Determined being some of the characteristics of the mythological Dhruv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Congrats Hunter3077. That's a roadtrip for you to remember.

Being on the other side of a table I would add few things for you to ponder. I am not a OB/GYN, but I treat quite a lot of "would be moms" for their medical complications and quite a few of them are IUI/IVF kinds. Hence I have shared many of their anxieties, all the while showing a stone face for them to hate or to wonder.

You are spot on about the observations about women, they are mentally stronger sex. They will physically get bruised or broken easily but the pain of that injury does little to dampen their spirit. They keep fighting back. My usual run-ins with husbands and Mother in laws would be about one question(and people working with me sometimes make fun about it), "Nothing will happen to the baby, no?". Though I know the anxiety my wrath would be immediately upon them and my usual discourse would be sort of "Your baby/Your bloodline-the fetus, is a parasite on my Patient - the Mom to be. Let me fix the earth(mom) first and you worry about the earth first, the plant(fetus) will grow on its own." Mother in laws usually disappear after this encounter, loathing to see me. But in your case you noticed the sufferings of your wife and supported her journey, which means a lot for her.

Common public and many of the doctors think medical science is black and white, which is not. Medical science is a big grey patch covering 1%(just a random small number) of the nature and the entire edifice of medical care is based on this small percentage. Nature would play funny games with even the greatest of the doctors and most doctors achieve greatness by understanding and failing in front of the nature repeatedly. Other doctors earn well and disappear in bank books. My advise to many of those desperate couples is be patient if the age is on your side and let the nature gift you something.
Thanks. Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Congratulations, priceless emotions. Only childless couple would know the scale of your emotions. All that ends well has begun well

PCOD is very common these days. Food habits, Life style, Obesity and more importantly Stress have direct correlation to infertility. The IUI/IVF/ ovarian drilling via laparoscopy and those hormones supplements that cause nausea/mood swings and the emotional trauma coupled with social stigma, the ordeal is unimaginable, Kudos to all those women.

On a side note, IMO, natural medicines such as Ayurveda/Unani have amazing benefits as far as infertility is concerned.
Thank you.
Hunter3077 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 15:39   #20
BHPian

A very touching and emotional write up. Salute to your preservence and patience plus the guts to share personal up heals and contradictions of life.The bright side of this is that the joys and sorrows shared brings the positivity and entrusts the faith that no matter what the lows are they are bound to pass if we stay positive and have faith in God.

Your example will serve as a emotional balm to many such couples. Big congratulations to you and your wife for the blessings almighty have showered upon you by virtue of gifting a very beautiful child.
Sandeep500 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 15:51   #21
BHPian

Salute to you and your wife. A very touching and heartfelt article which moved me a lot since my wife and me went through the IVF route after years of trying to conceive naturally and later through IUI.

I would like to credit your wife for being so calm, positive and strong to go through such a harsh regime of medication and various hormonal injections. It is not easy for a woman to go through the IVF process. It is a mind and body breaking experience. I doff my proverbial hat to your wife and to you for staying strong and providing the emotional support she needed.

Only my family knows that my kids were born through IVF. Your article has given me the courage to share my story with people who I know are going through the pain of not being able to conceive.

Take care of the little one. He's a miracle kid!!

Offtopic: Is your handle inspired by the Hunter squadron at NDA?
Yusha is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 16:59   #22
BHPian

This is one of those stories that touches the heart. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations to the better half, you, and all the people who supported you.
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 17:15   #23
BHPian

Congratulations to You and Your family. Thank you for sharing .
wolg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 17:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

@hunter- Hats off to you, double hats off to your wife and God bless to your son. Being a father to a 3 month old son I can say for sure getting pregnant isn't an easy journey. There are heartbreaks, doubts and more stress than you can imagine for anything else. Watching my wife through the entire cycle and now raising our kid I can say for sure Women are much better equipped physically, mentally and emotionally than us men. Life is unpredictable. However, if we stay positive miracles do happen. You son is a miracle for your family.

Beautifully written, at times I felt I have been with you in your journey. All's well that ends well.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 18:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Look at the beautiful result Congrats and thanks for bringing this to us. A different one but a great one with such a beautiful ending.

Enjoy your parenting and there is nothing like it.

Last edited by srishiva : 2nd April 2020 at 18:06.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 18:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations hunter. Wish you, Dhruv & your missus a stress-free life hereon.

Btw going through the entire story was like a deja-vu moment. My wife's colleague had exactly similar journey. IVF procedure failed multiple times and they had lost all hope. One fine day she conceived naturally and are now blessed with a beautiful Angel. Guess Nature has its own ways, which no amount of science has answer to.

Kudos to the medical practitioners and your unit folks for being so understanding.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 18:24   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Deliberated myself whether to reply or not, given that am 'single' as it can be and would end up sounding raw or naive.

But have to reply given the rollercoaster of emotions your experience elicited in me.

When I used to hear of couples trying hard for a baby, I thought rather immaturely it must be the waiting and trepidation; the mental agony that all were referring to. The mental and physical ordeal that your wife went through and your mental agony, opened my eyes on the procedures and the mental agony caused by it.

Hats off to you for supporting her, especially the moments where you guys had to make a call on using others embryo or going for adoption.

Can't help but comment on your writing style. Other than the weight loss thread ( for a short time ), can't remember any other non-car related thread that I have read properly in TeamBHP. That too in one go. Even in official reviews, I almost always skip the "In-car entertainment" section.

Don't know whether it is a compliment or not, but I noticed your write-up had headings/sections only now, so much was i engrossed in it.

Again, best wishes for Dhruv, his mom and dad, and their families.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 18:25   #28
BHPian

What a beautiful and heart-touching story! Thank you for having the courage to share it with all of us. In these rather gloomy times, this story totally made my day!
I salute both you and missus for having the strength and determination to go through this ordeal; and for your service to the country as well!

Hearty congratulations on the bundle of joy! Hope you enjoy parenthood. Even without knowing you, I feel very happy for you both.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 20:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Big congratulations to you and your wife for the blessings almighty have showered upon you by virtue of gifting a very beautiful child.
Thank you so much for your wishes. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusha View Post
Offtopic: Is your handle inspired by the Hunter squadron at NDA?
Thank you. You are no stranger to the experience of IVF and tests that one has to endure while undergoing the process. Heartiest congratulations to you and the lady and best wishes to the kids. I feel humbled that you feel like sharing your own experiences after having gone through mine. Please do so.
And yes, I am from the Hunter quadron of NDA and that's reflected in my handle too. Are you associated with NDA too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
This is one of those stories that touches the heart.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolg View Post
Congratulations to You and Your family.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Beautifully written, at times I felt I have been with you in your journey. All's well that ends well.
Thanks a lot for your appreciation and the wishes. I shall convey to my wife too. I feel vindicated in writing this experience down when I see reactions like yours. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
A different one but a great one with such a beautiful ending.
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Kudos to the medical practitioners and your unit folks for being so understanding.
Thank you. We were indeed lucky to have such a fantastic medical support and the unit which ept egging us on through the emotional upheavals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Again, best wishes for Dhruv, his mom and dad, and their families.
Thank you very much. I feel overwhelmed by the response. Thank you for the blessings to the kid and the wishes.
Since you like the writing style, I suggest you read one of my earlier threads too! Sharing the link here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...highlight=noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Hearty congratulations on the bundle of joy! Hope you enjoy parenthood. Even without knowing you, I feel very happy for you both.
Thank you so very much. The response and the good wishes are overwhelming to say the least.

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd April 2020 at 07:36. Reason: Quotes trimmed.
Hunter3077 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 23:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

First off congratulations on the birth of your son! It indeed is a special feeling.
I've just become a dad last month as well. And yes through IVF.
I dont know what people hesitate to mention this as it is a very common thing now.
My wife suffered from the same PCOS as well as tubal blockage. So after a few years we needed to go through this as age was also against us. My wife is 39.
Also I feel that the whole process depends on the person as well as the doctor. Our doctor was Dr. Manisha Singh from Dehradun and our IVF doctor was Dr. Aswati Nair of Nova IVI Delhi.

Our first visit was in February last year and the eggs pick up was in April. June was the embryo transfer time.
Followed the medical advise to the T. Asked many many questions which even I thought were too basic but it cleared all the doubts. Stayed in a Delhi hotel for extended time after the transfer.
Bought a car airbed for the wife to be comfortable in the car.

Yes there were a number of injections involved but the whole process we very simple and painless. My wife never felt any problem at all as mentioned in a post above too.

Infact we also had these apprehensions about the process being very tough. But it was very very simple and painless. The whole pregnancy was very comfortable.

Of course the precautions were taken to an extra level. But mind you my wife and I live alone without the support of any family. And we were actually very very happy throughout the process.

At this age generally BP spikes at around week 26-27. But my wife being physically and mentally very fit and strong she was able to pull through till week 34 without any issues. Then she was on BP medicine. Week 38, we asked the doctor to take a call. She decided that in 2 days time we'll do it and it'll be a cesarean section. And lo and behold, I was a dad with tears pouring and elated.

We wanted to keep all tensions at bay so even my parents were informed a couple of hours after they became grand parents.

Madness of joy followed!!!

In the end I'd like to say that it is not something we need to hide. Everyone I know knew that we were getting this treatment from the start. Friends, family, even some co-dealers and company officials. I never felt it is something to hide and no one else made us feel this way either.

Also a word of advise to all. Do not delay it. My wife was indeed a special case and this was acknowledged by the doctors too. The sheer number of good eggs was a pleasant surprise to all.

Don't delay. Listen to the doctor. Ask questions. If you have any doubt, ask! Still in doubt, ask!! Not convinced, change the doctor.

But when you decide to finally go with a doctor, trust them with your eyes closed. We were convinced by our doctors. Both as medical professionals as well as human beings. They were simply superb.

We followed each and every advise to the T! Every precaution. Every prescription. Every visit and ultrasound.

Yes there were moments of tension throughout but you have to calm your mind and be super positive!

I'm loving the diaper changing and the sleeping with my son on my chest! Wow! Being a parent is indeed superb!
Congratulations to you and all the best to any future parents looking towards the IVF way. It's a great procedure to help you become parents.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 2nd April 2020 at 23:46.
navpreet318 is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed