Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 01:47   #1
BHPian

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations

Amid all the chaos and unfortunate loses, I believe that this pandemic has given us homo sapiens a chance to reassess our way of sustenance and exploitation. It has also brought us some extra time to our disposal which would mean I could spend some more time with my family, read TeamBHP, work for a while and then back to TeamBHP . This has become my Biorythm from past two weeks. Sorry for getting carried away, this thread is all about an artist I connected over a social media platform and this gentleman is such a talented vector art designer that I felt the urge to share his artwork with our fellow BHPians.

What's in store?

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-15-forza-1.jpg

I will divide this thread into two parts-

A. How we connected.
B. Words from the man himself.

Chapter 1: How we connected?

I have a social media account for my car, yes you heard it right my Heisenberg(Rapid) has its own followers. Since I follow most of the Indian automotive enthusiasts, I came across this particular id which caught my attention, was of Mr Akshay. I was blown away by the simplicity and the attention to details of his vector arts and the icing on the cake - it was all about the Indian automotive scene, which I love and grew up watching. There are a lot of fantastic render artist around the globe but I never came across anyone who has expertise in our desi cars (Pardon me if I'm not aware of any such artist). I PMed him if he is a BHPian, not yet but he will be one very soon. I so wanted to share these amazing artistry that I suggested him if I could start a thread on his behalf, to which he gladly approved. As a result, this thread was born & in the following section the story and the idea behind the work are explained by the artist himself- Akshay Kumar.

B. The Man himself-

A little briefing

Hi everyone, Akshay this side, and I would like to convey my regards to Sachin for allowing me to share my first ever unofficial Team-BHP post, as I am not on the platform yet. But being able to connect with everyone that’s an achievement for me. I am a graduate in B.Tech (Computer Science) and I've been passionate about cars since my childhood. As my parents tell me that I used to identify cars just by spotting their headlights/taillights, I even fought for a magazine at a hospital at the age of 6, just because it had a photo of the popular Red Car (Ferrari). Years then passed by, I used to draw and render my own cars until I got my hands on Photoshop. I learned photoshop online and then brought my ideas into the canvas- vector designing.

How I got into Car Illustrations:

After getting into college, I was introduced to the world of Vector images which was a revelation for a designer, since no matter how much you scale into it, it doesn’t get pixelated. That was the idea, to begin with illustration initially. Then in my learning period, I set a goal for myself to draw anything every day. I drew tons of things using hand drawing, photoshop and Illustrator as part of the challenge ranging from cartoons, superheroes, movie posters and a few Cars. What I had been doing wrong was trying out different things, I was not focusing on what I love to do, what my real passion was until I decided to stick to one thing.

Started with the most popular & bestseller Hatchback of all times – Maruti Suzuki Alto. It was 21st September 2018 when the series was initiated and has never stopped till this date. It was something which no one was doing, I never found anything in terms of artwork, merchandise, wallpapers or good 3D models of the cars that are available in India. I couldn’t pursue my dream to be a Car Designer in reality, but am carrying it forward through my digital renders.

Here’s the first artwork of the series:

Note: I know the watermark ruins the image altogether, but I have no option left, many people have misused my images so I always put these watermarks. Thank you for understanding.

Maruti AltoThe start of my Car illustration series, with a basic & not so detailed render

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-1-alto.jpg

Hindustan Motors ContessaWhen we talk about vintage cars, there are a few gems we all enthusiasts love and one of my favourite ones is the mighty Contessa

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-2-contessa.jpg

The Maruti Trio- The real gems of our Automotive Industry

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-3-maruti-trio.jpg

Three Musketeers

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-4-three-musketeer.jpg

Maruti 800 Second GenThis car has a special place for everyone, be it the first generation or the last of this model. The car that put India on wheels

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-5-maruti-800-2nd-gen.jpg

Maruti Suzuki EsteemThe one that took somewhere between 15-20 hours to complete, I do not remember the exact time spent on this one, but it is something in which I have done the most detailing ever.

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-6-extensive-esteem.jpg

The Legend - Tata Sierra Recreation of the classic ad – It takes the rough, with the smooth

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-7-sierra.jpg

Ford Ikon Feel the Josh yet?

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-8-fordikon.jpg

Uno The car that moved Europe is now in India

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-9-fiatuno.jpg

Peugeot 309 GLDMust we make a noise about a car that’s so Silent?

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-10-peugeot309ad.jpg

S1000RR I did made a few bike artworks as well, but cannot show them here due to sharing restrictions, but enjoy this Superbike, which was done in collaboration with Vipin Maben (if you have heard the awesome Supercar sounds on Youtube, then you must have heard his name as well)

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-11-bmws1000rr.jpg

Mountain Goat For the offroad lovers out there!

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-12-suzukigypsyvectorart.jpg

Legend Here’s a wallpaper you all can enjoy

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-13-mahindratharvectorartwallpaperblack.jpg

Buddha-Zen If we are talking about cars, then how can we miss the BIC? Here’s a Zen Estilo, on which I attempted some modifications, the bumper’s angle is obviously off but the more we learn, and the more we practice, gives the best results, right?

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-14-zen.jpg

Two game series-

I. Forza Here’s one of the cars from that, which features my own custom modifications I did amidst the quarantine period. Gave it a cyberpunk outlook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	15 Forza 1.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	1989936

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-16-forza-2.png

II. Need for Speed Underground 2 which we all know, gave tremendous options for customizing your car.

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-17-nfs.jpg

Modified Esteem I still love the low driving position and those thin A-pillars

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-18-marutiesteemmodified.jpg

The 1st Tallboy of India

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-19-marutiwagonr.jpg

The King aka Gypsy King

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-20-marutisuzukigypsy.jpg

The true Honda

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-21-hondaaccord7thgen.jpg

Fiesta S It's the season of Fiesta S (Also a recent acquisition by BHPian E=mc^2)

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-22-fordfiesta1.6.jpg

Cedia Project Paul

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-23-mitsubishicedia.jpg

Japanese Samurai Last but not the least, everyone’s favourite, has a top place in every enthusiast’s heart:
Our very own Honda Civic, here’s a wallpaper that has been popular amongst the Pinterest platform, if you do visit Pinterest often, you can check out my other wallpapers by clicking the link below:

https://in.pinterest.com/Akshay2038/cars/

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-24-hondacivic2006wallpaper.jpg

To be continued..
sachin_cs is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 02:24   #2
BHPian

re: Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations

Easter eggs:

Enthusiast in the making:

I used to collect all newspaper cuttings wherever I saw Cars or Bikes

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-paper-1.jpg

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-paper-2.jpg

This is what my notebook’s index used to look like:

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-index-.jpg

Few of my old sketches, including my random imaginative cars
(you can laugh it out loud by seeing the names I used and their too optimistic speed figures )

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-c1.jpg

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-c2.jpg

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-c3.jpg

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-c4.jpg

A Majestic way to end the thread:
Here's an off-topic vehicle, but when we mention Tank, I have covered that as well. No, we aren't talking about the Polo here 😅
Ladies and gentleman, Lo & behold The actual T-90 Bhishma Tank, which was done as part of my another Independence Special Series.

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-t90bhismatank.jpg

Thanks for reading!
Dear BHPians, as I have already mentioned that these vector arts do not belong to me, so any kind of appreciation or compliments would definitely go to Mr Akshay. He is not a member yet but he is an avid follower of TeamBHP, which also means that he will be following this thread, feel free to give your opinions or suggestions.

I'm attaching a link for his social media handle to see his other projects-

https://www.instagram.com/akshay.kumar.3939/

Note: I'm in no way associated with Mr Akshay or his venture. As an automobile enthusiast, I'm sharing what I feel is unique in its own way in our Indian Automotive Scene.

Last edited by sachin_cs : 7th April 2020 at 02:36. Reason: Image Update
sachin_cs is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 14:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

I've been closely following Akshay since the early days. Noticed his work because he used to regularly tag Team-Bhp on Instagram, and his quality increased steadily with each work.

I really like the simpler ones he designs, one of my personal favourites being the SS80 below -

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-instimage.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th April 2020 at 14:21.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 15:14   #4
BHPian

Absolutely love the Maruti trio, musketeers, Esteem with the hood open and the Gypsy. Are there more designs?
jayguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 15:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I've been closely following Akshay since the early days.
That's great, I started following him very recently and I was bowled with the simplicity of the designs. My personal favourite is the one of Fiat UNO. Looks real badass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
Absolutely love the Maruti trio, musketeers, Esteem with the hood open and the Gypsy. Are there more designs?
Even I love the Maruti trio and as far as designs are concerned he has a lot of them, do check out his id. Due to some restrictions we decided not to post all of the designs at once, if responses seek so then we will definitely upload some more artwork. And I also hope that he gets on the forum soon.
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 20:56   #6
BHPian

Re: Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
Due to some restrictions we decided not to post all of the designs at once, if responses seek so then we will definitely upload some more artwork. And I also hope that he gets on the forum soon.
Nice designs, simple and detailed. Thanks for sharing it sachin_cs. Also hope to see Akshay in the forum soon.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 14:02   #7
BHPian

I have been following Akshay since months now and I just love his work.
And with the Vectors, I like the captions that he puts which is related to the car.
Keep up the good work and join TeamBHP asap!
Nazaar25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 14:38   #8
BHPian

Some marker+pencil renders I did few years back:
Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-fiat-panda-stance-render.jpg

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-panda-side-render.jpg

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-gtr-front-render.jpg
I have more but those are not really illustrations of real cars, I now only work on my own designs.

Last edited by Doge : 8th April 2020 at 14:42.
Doge is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 16:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Nice designs, simple and detailed. Thanks for sharing it sachin_cs.
Thanks buddy, there's no substitute for simplicity and that's what makes it so special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
with the Vectors, I like the captions that he puts which is related to the car.
I know right, it helps to connect more with the artwork and makes the experience just more engaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
That is so surreal, please share more of your designs gentleman. I'm a sucker for pencil sketches and if it's about cars then I just can't ask for more in life . Irrespective of whether they are real cars or your own design, you have got great attention to details so please let the images coming.
sachin_cs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 18:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a Ton for sharing, i am a FAN now!

What a work of Art, and it has surely come at right time.
I am trying to do some T shirt painting stuff, and these drawings make it really easy for me to replicate.

I am surely gonna do that Padmini and Gypsy.
Mind-blowing details on Esteem
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 19:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
You designs are amazing man, especially the shading which gives it a 3d kind of effect!
You should start an Instagram account and share all your designs.
Nazaar25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 19:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Attachment 1990585

Attachment 1990586

Attachment 1990587
I have more but those are not really illustrations of real cars, I now only work on my own designs.
These images are crazy. The attention to detail on these images are just awesome. Especially the fiat panda
avaneesh. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 19:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Dope is just a mere word for these excellent renditions. The colored illustrations were gobsmackingly precise and spot on. Wallpaper material for sure. The Gypsy and the 800 were fantastic.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 20:31   #14

Wow great artwork by Akshay. And i love those sketches too.

I relived my school days when i too used to cut pictures of Cars and bikes (but mostly cars) and make a collage of them. And i used to make my own designs of cars. Wanted to become a car designer and DC was the obvious inspiration. But then i grew up and as a usual Indian boy sidelined those dreams of mine to pursue something else.
chheringpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 21:48   #15
BHPian

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I am glad you liked it. As much as I enjoy other people art, I really don't like to do it much myself when it comes to cars, I feel that a designer is different from an artist.
I would've liked to share more of my hand stuff with you guys but I don't have access to all my sketch work anymore because of the quarantine.
I have uploaded a few other snaps tho, first one is like a Suzuki Ignis successor that I had in mind. The second is this Zen Van, a complicated one to explain.
I do plan to start a thread as a guide to car design, I might post some of my actual portfolio stuff there.
Again, thanks for the kind words.
Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-sc1.jpg

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-sc2.jpg

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-sc3.jpg

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-sc4.jpg

Automotive Vector Art & Illustrations-sc5.jpg
Doge is online now   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed