Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2015, 13:43   #3256
Senior - BHPian

I recently tried BigBasket which is now delivering in Delhi and NCR. From a comparison, it seems to offer the most products, by a wide margin compared with grofers (big let down), meragrocer, etc.

So anyway, last week I placed 2 orders of 2K and 1.1K (to avoid delivery charges).
1. Prices were competitive
2. Delivery slots are available in bands of 2 1/2 hours from around 7.30AM-10PM. My experience in both cases was that the items were delivered at midpoint but never later, eg 7.30-10PM delivery was made at around 830PM.
3. Products looked fresh and were recent (date of manufacturing).
4. Big problem is their payment system. I paid for one item by card and while their backend (and my bank) charged, it did not reflect in the front end customer interface. Had to call them to get it sorted and even then when the order was delivered, the delivery man was not intimated of the payment. Had to make 1-2 calls again.
4. Cash on delivery is fine for now, as there is no hassle.
5. They credited 10% cashback and will have to check whether I do save money on future purchases.

Overall, definitely worth it and would consider it for future purchases here in Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I did not find anything from Flipkart to be 'crazy'.
You will most likely get a better deal selling your working mobile on Olx, Quikr, etc.
Flipkart's sales are usually deceptive and I would consider myself to be extremely lucky to get something that I want at a price that is cheaper than during normal periods. Would really need a software to hunt thru and get something that is worthwhile.

Just yesterday, they were advertising a mega sale with frontpage ads. One product (sandisk sd card) caught my attention with advertised huge savings. When I visited Flipkart, the 32GB class 10 was Rs. 942 but was shown as a huge saving (which it is on MRP anyway). Since I have been following this product for sometime, Rs. 942 is near to what has been the price for last 4-5 months.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th May 2015 at 14:53. Reason: Merged
Old 27th May 2015, 14:21   #3257

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

There are other tricks too at flipkart. eg they sell mouse for 57 rupees but charge 80 for delievery.
Old 27th May 2015, 14:51   #3258
BANNED

Flipkart is costly compared to snapdeal / jabong etc.
I was looking for a wildcraft bag on Myntra , was priced at 50% discount and final discount price was 1100, same bag was available at Jabong for Rs 799.
So we cant trust what price is discounted, also with app only option at Myntra its dicy to shop on a mobile where there is little option to compare on a 5 inch screen
Old 27th May 2015, 14:57   #3259
Team-BHP Support

Flipkart are acting like your quintessential corner-market thugs. Heavily marked-up goods shown available at huge discounts. Anyone who has tracked a product for any length of time can easily tell there's no 'real' discount in the sale, some products even pricier than their out-of-sale avatars.

They'll still find plenty of suckers I guess, who will just look at the heavy dicount % and hit 'purchase now'. No wonder all these sites are falling over themselves to go mobile/app only, easier to screw a customer by limiting research options before robbing him of his cash.
Old 27th May 2015, 15:35   #3260
BHPian

I just ordered a TP-Link Modem Router today from FK for 1692, vs 1918 in Snapdeal. I do believe they have marked up stuff, but there are some decent deals now and then...
Old 27th May 2015, 15:42   #3261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I just ordered a TP-Link Modem Router today from FK for 1692, vs 1918 in Snapdeal. I do believe they have marked up stuff, but there are some decent deals now and then...
Of course there are decent deals but to find something that is a real deal for today (and was not yesterday) may require a lot of time and the amount may not be worth the effort in terms of money and time.

I have seen and browsed through many online sales and I really do not find them now to be worth the bother. But of course `you can fool most people some of the time' seems to be the guiding principle behind these frequent online sales. As previously burnt get wised up, new suckers are targeted. The point is to generate a website visit and hopefully get sales (even something that is not on `sale') or even page hits.
Old 27th May 2015, 15:48   #3262
Senior - BHPian

Well, the scene for online shopping has changed in the last few months. Gone are the days where there were real cool deals every now and then. Now I no longer see them.

The market has evolved and now stands somewhat like below
Flipkart = Maruti Suzuki
Amazon = Hyundai/Honda
Snapdeal = Mahindra & Mahindra
Jabong and Myntra = Renault Duster & Ford Ecosport
Shopclues = Tata Motors.

Rest All = who cares - hardly matters !
Old 28th May 2015, 01:58   #3263
Distinguished - BHPian

While there is no real consumer-law-with-teeth control over advertised prices and discounts, all this stuff is going to go on and worse. All I can say is that if I am happy with the product and the price then the deal is fine, but it is always worth checking elsewhere.

I'm happy that one of Flipkart's bank-card-discount offers got me 10% off a phone (or I will be when I get it) that only they sell.
Old 28th May 2015, 02:42   #3264
Senior - BHPian

Something I came across on TOI. Quite explains the changing trend and reduced discounts.
Days of heavy discounts on gadgets online may be over
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/47442935.cms
Old 28th May 2015, 02:54   #3265
BHPian

Found DSLR cam canon 700D on Paytm for 33k with warranty and two lenses
A good deal overall for my videography experiments ,I think.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:24   #3266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Yes. You have to spend a little more effort, though not as much as calling people multiple times to get your money.

You get paid more if you choose to sell the phone to a buyer directly (selling via other channels) - just like selling a car directly to a buyer instead of an agent.

Edit: When I look back now, I think the last time I purchased something from Flipkart was 2 years ago - simply because they were the cheapest for the product that I wanted to gift someone.

I purchase quite a lot every month online - somehow Flipkart's pricing never excites me.
Well that's the thing. I don't want to spend a little more effort on things I think I've consumed enough value of. Using Nokia Lumia 720, which I bought for Rs. 12500, for over 24 months is enough for me. My brother used to complain that it hangs. There aren't enough apps. Battery is acting funny. Hence I don't mind hassle-free exchange even if it gets me Rs. 2000 bucks in return. Plus that 10% Axis bank card meant I got an additional Rs. 899 off. Also, I think getting MotoG2 for Rs. 8091 is a sweet deal. And my brother is super happy.

Plus, in my particular case, I've had a very bad experience of selling two items on OLX.

First one was when I was selling my old dinning table set. I got multiple calls and finally I booked it for one guy who begged and pleaded me. He said he needs the dinning table set because his in-laws are visiting him and someone has arthritis and how that person cannot sit on the floor and eat. I asked him to collect the item within 24 hours and when he did not even call me back for the next 48 hours I rang him up only to figure out he's already bought another set because he got a better deal.

Another case, when I was selling my shoe-rack and some other small furniture items on OLX, two bachelors working in reputed IT firm booked it and when they came to collect it, they started low-balling even when I was clear in my advert. That went on before I shut my door on them, ruining a good 30 minutes of a peaceful weekend that I was looking forward too, after a terrible, horrible, stressful week at work.

Now, I'm not biased towards Flipkart. In fact, I love Amazon and have been ordering from Amazon for the last 8 years (even if it means troubling my friends and relatives in US ). And when it comes to buying clothes, I wait for Jabong deals. But a MotoG2 (which is only available on Flipkart) for 8091 was a sweet enough deal for me to make me feel it was a crazy deal.

So you see, both of us consume the online life differently. Maybe unlike you, I'm probably more lazy and don't really like making too much effort.

Last edited by creative420 : 28th May 2015 at 11:28.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:35   #3267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Flipkart = Maruti Suzuki
Amazon = Hyundai/Honda
Shopclues = Tata Motors.

Absolutely stay away from Shopclues - I have been told by someone who used to work there and they claim that not all products sold are geniuine.

Amazon is by far the best online shopping website. Snapdeal has increased its trustworthiness. Flipkart is expensive and they charge a delivery price for almost everything.

I stick to Amazon, plain and simple.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:38   #3268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I stick to Amazon, plain and simple.
Yes, amazon simply because their return process is hassle free, no questions asked/fully automated, quick, and most importantly, they stick to their policy. Try returning to Flipkart and you will see.

How is infibeam?

Last edited by vasudeva : 28th May 2015 at 11:40.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:46   #3269
Senior - BHPian

I would like to add...
Paytm = Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Flipkart = Maruti Suzuki
Amazon = Hyundai/Honda
Shopclues = Tata Motors.
What Flipkart is doing is like the market trend. They have to match them or lag behind. Explains lot about the consumer psyche. Deal, Discount, Offer, Sale, etc are Magical words product quality is of low priority.

Last edited by carwatcher : 28th May 2015 at 11:50.
Old 28th May 2015, 12:19   #3270
Senior - BHPian

Be ultra careful of this website: http://www.bookmyoffer.com/

They have a very nice attractive and smooth interface. I stumbled upon this site while browsing Facebook on my mobile. This site showed up as a sponsered website, and was advertising Mi 10400 MAh at Rs.31 only !!

So I went to their website and found it to be true. Hurriedly, I went to checkout the cart, and the price zoomed to Rs.580. This even seemed to be very lucrative considering that Flipkart and Amazon sell is for Rs.999.

So I placed an order and thank God for the instant brain charge, to put it on Cash On Delivery, instead of Netbanking payment !!

I immediately informed a few of my colleagues and friends to buy it for so cheap. They laughed at me, as if I bought a peanut for a million bucks ! They said it was a fake, and only Flipkart and Amazon are the authorized sellers of Mi products, rest all may be re-sellers or fakers.

I immediately Googled up and found a website to verify how to distinguish between original and fake power bank.
Here is the website: https://www.techmesto.com/identify-f...mi-power-bank/

I was now totally convinced that I was buying a fake product. So I went to the website, and cancelled the order, since it wasn't shipped out.
This was tricky, as the layout and features are kind of very amateurish. Nevertheless, I found a box to enter order number and comments. So I put a comment about 3 or 4 times to Cancel the order.

The next day surprisingly the product arrives via ECom Express (a major thug courier company). The guy asked for Rs.580.
I said I wanted to open and check the product before accepting.
He said that was not possible and only after I handover cash, I can open and see. I was confident that it would turn out to be fake.

So I refused to accept delivery. He didn't allow me to sign or put a comment that I refused to accept.
Next day, ECom guys called me to know the reason for refuse, so that they can update their system. I said "Fake / Duplicate Product". He said thanks and hung up.

So guys, please be careful about buying from this and that websites which offer discounts. Even Flipkart and Amazon have fake sellers, ensure to buy from WS Retail or Amazon Fulfilled only.
If you buy from E-Bay, go to a place of worship and pray that it is genuine, because there is no authentication / guarantee by E-Bay that their products are genuine.

The Online Shopping Thread-bookmyoffer.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-mi-power-bank.jpg

The Online Shopping Thread-capture3.jpg

Most Viewed