Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 16:02   #556
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
What? 3-4 Months?....

Another question: say If I dont get the item by next week (officially 6 weeks over) how easy it is to claim a refund?
That was when the product didn't reach me the first time they shipped it so I was given the option of a refund or they could try shipping the item again. The customer care lady was honest enough to share that at times it does get lost in the customs so there's no guarantee but they can definitely ship another piece without any extra charge. I went ahead with her recommendation and got the item in another month and a half.

Since then my products have never been held at customs but I've never received it earlier than 40-45 days also.

Also, what I've realized is that the product pictures posted are mostly far from the real thing. So what I do is look for pictures and videos put up by the existing customers. That way the final product is about 90% closer to my expectations.

I would continue shopping from dx but that would be for cheaper items, definitely less than $20, always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When you buy something paying 3-4$, do you expect the seller to give you EMS or DHL kind of shipping which costs 20$+?
Why blame the e-commerce site.
No

I never blamed anybody, merely stated the facts. In fact I'm quite happy with what dx offers. For me dx is never about useful, reliable items. Only about entertainment stuff that is otherwise unavailable in India or way too expensive or illegal to procure.
Old 20th June 2013, 18:18   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you buy something paying 3-4$, do you expect the seller to give you EMS or DHL kind of shipping which costs 20$+?
Why blame the e-commerce site.
No doubting that. However if you want a repeat customer it is always good to go an extra mile. This is the best form of advertising and will drive home a point that the seller is not only after money but service and genuine.

I sell eye wear especially Mauijim throughout India and the Middle East. I am not organised and do not even have a website and sell through Facebook and referrals.
1. I ensure or at least try within my means to make sure that the orders reaches on time. This is very important.
2. Even if I were sending a free hard case to a customer in the Gulf, I make sure I use the same logistic people and ensure it is delivered on time. I do not make any money on this and in fact lose more doing this. However this maybe my USP and the customer is overwhelmed and the organised competitor may try what he likes, yet my customers don't budge.
They even offer me advice like I should start EMI's and other brilliant ideas. Coz they love me for being me and no just after money.

However you have rightly pointed out the true facts. Corporate always choose the most prudent manner as profits come first. They are not bothered about loosing a single customer as many are joining every other day.
They have a lot of systems in place and hence they are not flexible to change the same often as it is very expensive. Ex. Logistic partner. This is just my opinion.

Benny John
Old 20th June 2013, 18:57   #558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
No doubting that. However if you want a repeat customer it is always good to go an extra mile. This is the best form of advertising and will drive home a point that the seller is not only after money but service and genuine.

I sell eye wear especially Mauijim throughout India and the Middle East. I am not organised and do not even have a website and sell through Facebook and referrals.
1. I ensure or at least try within my means to make sure that the orders reaches on time. This is very important.
2. Even if I were sending a free hard case to a customer in the Gulf, I make sure I use the same logistic people and ensure it is delivered on time. I do not make any money on this and in fact lose more doing this. However this maybe my USP and the customer is overwhelmed and the organised competitor may try what he likes, yet my customers don't budge.
They even offer me advice like I should start EMI's and other brilliant ideas. Coz they love me for being me and no just after money.

However you have rightly pointed out the true facts. Corporate always choose the most prudent manner as profits come first. They are not bothered about loosing a single customer as many are joining every other day.
They have a lot of systems in place and hence they are not flexible to change the same often as it is very expensive. Ex. Logistic partner. This is just my opinion.

Benny John
Tell me something Benny. If I buy somethiing which costs 15rs. Would you take 15rs from me, and then ship your item by tracked speed post for 50rs, thus incurring a major loss? I guess not.
You will charge customer shipping. This is true for any website. Even Amazon and etc., offer free shipping only on orders above a certain value(or if you pay yearly prime membership).
Chinese websites offer quality shipping. You get what you pay for(true for most solid objects). So if you are not choosing it, it reflects on the quality of the buyer, not the seller.
Old 20th June 2013, 19:04   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried dx.com for a nokia battery charger and a car clock. I ordered on the 14th May. I have yet to see any signs of it reaching me. On contacting CC they informed it takes 3-5 weeks for a product to get to India. In case you want faster shipping you need to pay extra.

Not sure if anyone else faced the same issue but I am staying away for dx.com
I faced the same issue,and the lady confirmed that the package was lost while shipping.I was offered a refund or a re shipment with tracking at a nominal charge of $1.5,paid the amount and shipment was delivered in 2 weeks.
Excellent service from DX.com,no need to stay away from them.
Old 20th June 2013, 19:08   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tell me something Benny. If I buy somethiing which costs 15rs. Would you take 15rs from me, and then ship your item by tracked speed post for 50rs, thus incurring a major loss? I guess not.

Chinese websites offer quality shipping. You get what you pay for(true for most solid objects). So if you are not choosing it, it reflects on the quality of the buyer, not the seller.
Hello Tanveer, That is exactly what I am trying to say. Yes, I would. A hard case that I send to the customer is done free. Free product+Free shipping. This needs to be a customer who has already bought something from me.
I have a proprietor advantage, unlike the big guys.

Very true with regard to Chinese shipping. For my distribution business they DHL charges me 20% extra over the normal guys. Yet it reaches faster and safer.

In both cases, you get what you pay for.

In my case its different. Sometimes I wonder why I do it. Yet making new friends and what they think about me makes m do it.
Old 20th June 2013, 19:55   #561
BHPian

I think people shouldn't be blaming DX at all. It is one of the most reliable and customer friendly website out there.

They ship their items through standard post so blame HK post, Indian Post and customs for that because DX themselves are not at fault.

If you want it quick, pay more money and get it. It's free shipping and you shouldn't expect much more than that.

Saying that why should I pay for quick shipping for an item worth Rs50 and then crib you didn't get it soon enough is sort of a moot point.

Personally, I have ordered from their website at least 20 times and each time I was aware that it will take a month or so. I have received the packages almost every time, only once I didn't and the new product was promptly reshipped without extra charges. Moreover I have even ordered high value items (considering only DX) worth $20+ and have received them without an issue, this includes 2 Zippo lighters which were original (I confirmed that using various tips available online to identify original zippo lighters)

I have always tried to order at the bulk rate for things like screen guards, which anyways adds tracking. If the total cost is too low, I add tracking anyway for peace of mind. I advise everyone to do the same.
Old 20th June 2013, 21:47   #562
BHPian

Thoughts on Dx.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
I think people shouldn't be blaming DX at all. It is one of the most reliable and customer friendly website out there.

They ship their items through standard post so blame HK post, Indian Post and customs for that because DX themselves are not at fault.
You have a point. But in my case I had absolutely no idea when the things get delivered. And I am habituated to eCommerce website like Amazon & Ebay. In this case when my items (total bill $13) did not have any intimation by 4 weeks I got worried. That's when I checked with their CC. To my surprise I found the shipping time to be 3-5 weeks. Yes, it was my mistake.

But from where I am coming is I am comparing ebay & dx side by side, Dx is cheaper, however in this case when I simply dont know when I would be getting an item, it is of very little use to me. I would rather pay more and get it faster than wait eternity for it.

Yes, it does not make any sense for dx.com to charge 15 bucks for an item and spend 50 buck to ship it. And you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Again - if I had my distribution hubs in major countries I could ship them faster and in a more economical way. The websites keeps writing 'ships in 7 business days' - unfortunately in my case I thought, that okay - should get to me by 2 weeks probably.

Again my purpose here is not to demean or bad mouth any website, just sharing my experience. Hope others are more sensible that I was.
Old 21st June 2013, 00:07   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You have a point. But in my case I had absolutely no idea when the things get delivered. And I am habituated to eCommerce website like Amazon & Ebay. In this case when my items (total bill $13) did not have any intimation by 4 weeks I got worried. That's when I checked with their CC. To my surprise I found the shipping time to be 3-5 weeks. Yes, it was my mistake.

But from where I am coming is I am comparing ebay & dx side by side, Dx is cheaper, however in this case when I simply dont know when I would be getting an item, it is of very little use to me. I would rather pay more and get it faster than wait eternity for it.

Yes, it does not make any sense for dx.com to charge 15 bucks for an item and spend 50 buck to ship it. And you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Again - if I had my distribution hubs in major countries I could ship them faster and in a more economical way. The websites keeps writing 'ships in 7 business days' - unfortunately in my case I thought, that okay - should get to me by 2 weeks probably.

Again my purpose here is not to demean or bad mouth any website, just sharing my experience. Hope others are more sensible that I was.
It's an open forum. You don't have to justify your experience.
All I'll say is you'll find most of the best sellers on dx on eBay too. They're shipped using dxs bulk shipping, and the price difference will be about 200-300%.try looking for led bulbs.
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:54   #564
BHPian

How has Indiatimes shopping been recently? I want to order a phone but have heard horror stories from all over. They will take 10 days to ship the phone which is absurd. Its nowhere as close to the time that other vendors take to ship.
Old 24th June 2013, 09:51   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
How has Indiatimes shopping been recently? I want to order a phone but have heard horror stories from all over. They will take 10 days to ship the phone which is absurd. Its nowhere as close to the time that other vendors take to ship.
One Word "Don't".

Have horrific experience with them lately.
Old 24th June 2013, 15:15   #566
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
How has Indiatimes shopping been recently?
Indiatimes has improved tremendously, I purchased a couple of high-end phones from them. They took their own sweet time to ship but the received goods were in top condition. Also got a couple of orders refunded, no sweat there too.

While recently my experiences with Flipkart have been the worst I've had with any online shop in India.
Old 24th June 2013, 16:10   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
While recently my experiences with Flipkart have been the worst I've had with any online shop in India.
More details please?

Have been a satisfied customer at Flipkart for a long time now.

Maybe they are going bad due to the 'take-over' and financial losses?
Old 24th June 2013, 17:30   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
One Word "Don't".

Too late Ordered a phone last night. Lets see how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Indiatimes has improved tremendously, I purchased a couple of high-end phones from them. They took their own sweet time to ship but the received goods were in top condition. Also got a couple of orders refunded, no sweat there too.

I don't understand why they take so long to ship! But it's still promising to hear that you received your order

Weren't flipkart the benchmark? What went wrong?!
Old 24th June 2013, 19:38   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How has Indiatimes shopping been recently?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
One Word "Don't".

What's the time frame for 'lately'? I have purchased few 32 inch TVs, watches going to 10k, even mobiles from indiatimes for past 1 year. Every time the order reached perfectly. If there was any delay from their promised date of delivery, I'd get a call, or if I raised a complaint there would be a flurry of calls to address the matter.

Besides, they have paid the octroi every time, so that saved a great amount of money. Shipping is not as fast as some other, but not as slow as some make it out to be.
Old 25th June 2013, 09:07   #570
BHPian

Well well, it appears that indiatimes have improved lately after my sundry experiences wherein they cancelled the order without intimation and took their own sweet time to refund the amount. Everytime, each CC guy comes into picture.

Atleast for me the good news appears to be Amazon.in has launched today "Electronics" section. Will explore it

Most Viewed