Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2017, 15:01   #5311
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
The message may well have been sent by any of the verification centers, but why take a chance with potential harassment?
It may have been sent by paytm to a verification centre for followup, but the agent in question, seeing a woman's name (and possibly age etc data in the profile) concludes that it is a young woman, and wants to stalk or harass her.

That is a not unknown occurrence, that courier delivery boys, cabbies etc retain the phone number of a woman customer and then try to stalk them on whatsapp / phone etc.

Added nuisance - Quite a few social media programs look at the dialed number list, and associate that number with valid fb profiles (so I see fb profiles for a former driver I sacked some years back etc as "suggested friends").
Old 19th April 2017, 13:12   #5312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Now that FK has been forced to buy Ebay, it is unlikely they'll be able to afford Snapdeal as well.
Seems like I was wrong: https://www.vccircle.com/flipkart-ap...-merger-talks/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Added nuisance - Quite a few social media programs look at the dialed number list, and associate that number with valid fb profiles
Stop giving the FB app access to your dialler history and contacts list?

Got this in email from a service I use.

Name:  Untitled1.png
Views: 1404
Size:  12.2 KB

Basically it means we have good incentive to get shipments in $30 chunks (though the shipping costs will also have to be factored in).

I think charging duty on books is reprehensible, though. Especially since people already pay through their noses for those that don't have eastern economy editions.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th April 2017 at 21:07. Reason: Posts merged on request.
Old 19th April 2017, 20:15   #5313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got this too. And I'm a bit puzzled. Does this mean that duty has been hiked? Surely it wasn't as high as 41% on that bracket before?
Old 19th April 2017, 22:44   #5314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I got this too. And I'm a bit puzzled. Does this mean that duty has been hiked? Surely it wasn't as high as 41% on that bracket before?

Yes, the duty has been hiked to 42 %.
I had ordered some motorcycle parts from the US. I always choose FedEx /DHL /UPS shipping. They deliver after clearing customs.
The Mumbai UPS office called and requested my permission to pay and clear customs. That's when the UPS lady explained about the custom duty hike from 33 to 42%. Had the goods delivered home in 6 days. Had to pay the duty in cash. No option of card payment.
Old 20th April 2017, 00:50   #5315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Yes, the duty has been hiked to 42 %.
Thanks. That's seriously bad news for us shopaholics.
Old 20th April 2017, 19:40   #5316
Senior - BHPian

Anyone can recommend a good powerbank? I am looking at a compact one with 13000 mAh or more. Compactness is a must - the Indigo inflight store is offering one that fits in the palm of the hand; I am looking at approximately that size.

I need to be able to charge at least two devices at 2 (2.1?) A.
Old 20th April 2017, 19:51   #5317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyone can recommend a good powerbank? I am looking at a compact one with 13000 mAh or more. Compactness is a must - the Indigo inflight store is offering one that fits in the palm of the hand; I am looking at approximately that size.

I need to be able to charge at least two devices at 2 (2.1?) A.
The Mi Pro is what you need. Supports USB-C charging and two-way fast-charge. It's 10000 mAh but fits all your other needs perfectly.

The regular 20000 mAh variant is terrific VFM and very portable, but not exactly pocket size/weight and does not support fast-charge.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th April 2017 at 19:56.
Old 21st April 2017, 09:54   #5318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The Mi Pro is what you need. Supports USB-C charging and two-way fast-charge. It's 10000 mAh but fits all your other needs perfectly.

The regular 20000 mAh variant is terrific VFM and very portable, but not exactly pocket size/weight and does not support fast-charge.
Thanks. Can't find the 10000 mAh version on either Amazon or Flipkart, and the mi.com link only says "notify me". Is it out of stock?

Also, contrary to what you say, this one: http://www.amazon.in/dp/B01H6X2UN8/ supports fast charging. And it is available on Amazon. The size is a bummer though, but everything else seems fine. Maybe I should relax my size constraint and go for it.

Size of 10000 mAh: 91 x 61 x 22
Size of 20000 mAh: 142 x 73 x 22 (a lot bulkier, but I can live with this).

Spec sheet of 20000 mAh: http://files.xiaomi-mi.com/files/pow...nk20000-en.pdf
Old 21st April 2017, 15:28   #5319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....supports fast charging......

.....Size of 20000 mAh....
Yes, the Pro model seems exclusive to mi.com site and currently out of stock. Same story with previous models too until they became available on other e-tailers.

I have the 20000 mAh one, and it really isn't that bad ergonomically. Definitely not pocket size, but fits very well into my electrical accessories travel pouch.

About the fast charging, though the website claims a 2.1A output, my Moto Turbo (XT1225) doesn't charge as quick from the brick as it does from its bundled turbo-charger of similar rating. It isn't slow or anything, I get a ~50% charge top-up in about an hour on my phone's 3900 mAh battery so it's pretty decent actually, if not blazing fast.

Bought it around the time I got my phone last year, and I can usually top up my phone FOUR times (usually from 20% to FULL) before the bank gets in the '25% left' range.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st April 2017 at 15:40.
Old 22nd April 2017, 20:54   #5320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1631056

Basically it means we have good incentive to get shipments in $30 chunks (though the shipping costs will also have to be factored in).

I think charging duty on books is reprehensible, though. Especially since people already pay through their noses for those that don't have eastern economy editions.
Does anybody have a link to the exact clause in the finance bill which makes this amendment? I've searched online and have not been able to find it. Is it even within the framework of the law to charge different rates of duty for the same item based on whether the importer is an individual or a corporate?

Last edited by kbk_75 : 22nd April 2017 at 20:55.
Old 22nd April 2017, 22:38   #5321
Senior - BHPian

I am considering buying parts from US based site Rockauto.com which ships to India. The parts cost around 170$ along with shipping. If they get stuck at customs what is the procedure to get them released in Mumbai ?
Old 22nd April 2017, 23:28   #5322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I am considering buying parts from US based site Rockauto.com which ships to India. The parts cost around 170$ along with shipping. If they get stuck at customs what is the procedure to get them released in Mumbai ?

If the value is under INR 10000, there should be no customs. Depends on the custom official.
If shipped by FedEx /DHL /UPS /TNT custom duty is paid after submitting KYC by email. You can to pay custom duty after home delivery. You would get a official receipt.
However, if it is shipped by USPS then it may get stuck in customs and you get a postal notice to submit documents and clear duty. Generally a custom clearing agent may call you (they get a list daily) and make a deal. He will do the needful after submitting documents (credit card statement, pan and adhaar card) and transfer of duty amount . You may not get receipt for the duty paid.
Or else, you need to go to the custom office and submit documents and clear duty amount. The package will be opened in front of you by the custom official. You will not be able to collect parcel, but it would be delivered by the postman in a few days. I had done this once. Going from Pune to Mumbai, a whole day wasted.
Best option is to choose FedEx /DHL which has a higher shipping cost. All duties will be paid and package delivered home in 5 to 6 days.
Please note custom duty is now 42%.
Hope this helps.
Old 22nd April 2017, 23:33   #5323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the value is under INR 10000, there should be no customs. Depends on the custom official.
If shipped by FedEx /DHL /UPS /TNT custom duty is paid after submitting KYC by email. You can to pay custom duty after home delivery. You would get a official receipt.
However, if it is shipped by USPS then it may get stuck in customs and you get a postal notice to submit documents and clear duty. Generally a custom clearing agent may call you (they get a list daily) and make a deal. He will do the needful after submitting documents (credit card statement, pan and adhaar card) and transfer of duty amount . You may not get receipt for the duty paid.
Or else, you need to go to the custom office and submit documents and clear duty amount. The package will be opened in front of you by the custom official. You will not be able to collect parcel, but it would be delivered by the postman in a few days. I had done this once. Going from Pune to Mumbai, a whole day wasted.
Best option is to choose FedEx /DHL which has a higher shipping cost. All duties will be paid and package delivered home in 5 to 6 days.
Hope this helps.
If i add fed ex shipping the total including shipping comes to 186.15 which is around 12k. Will there be custom issue or it will be covered by Fedx. I am not sure of same.
Thanks.
Old 23rd April 2017, 02:46   #5324
Senior - BHPian

The highest rate of basic customs duty on parts is 20%.

Do you mean the grand total of customs duty, CVD, addl.CVD & various surcharges etc when you say 'customs duty'?

Quote:
Hope this helps.
Old 23rd April 2017, 02:50   #5325
Senior - BHPian

Edit: Ok, I stand corrected, I found this point on the taxguru.in website:

"Chapter Note (4) of Chapter 98 has been amended so as to remove the non-applicability of headings 9803 and 9804 to goods imported through courier service. Also, to amend heading 9804 so as to extend the classification of personal imports by courier, sea, or land under this heading. - See more at: http://taxguru.in/custom-duty/union-budget-2017-key-custom-duty.html#sthash.TwedtZQl.dpuf"

So essentially if this is correct and notified, then 9804 does cover courier, sea and land imports as well as air and post imports, so basically we are all screwed and will now have to pay 42.xx% duty for all personal imports. This will also have the trickle on effect of driving up the cost of imported items brought by businesses because they will know that you can no longer import items by courier at the prevailing section head's rate of duty. Acche din are truly here!

-- Original message follows --

Quote:

Attachment 1631056

Further to my earlier post, I did some digging and here's what I found, two copies of customs tariff attached. The wording under point 4 (c) in NOTES is explicitly clear - Section 9804 does NOT cover items imported by courier. Unless there is a notification given by CBEC that changes this wording, I think it is quite clear that people are being misinformed in order to get them to pay extra duty. Have a look and see for yourselves.

As an aside this is from the 2016-2017 Tariff, CBEC website itself doesn't list the 2017-2018 Tarriff.
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-img_4645.jpg  

The Online Shopping Thread-img_4646.jpg  

Last edited by kbk_75 : 23rd April 2017 at 03:02.

Most Viewed