Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:11   #5326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
If i add fed ex shipping the total including shipping comes to 186.15 which is around 12k. Will there be custom issue or it will be covered by Fedx. I am not sure of same.

Thanks.
Yes, FedEx would clear customs, pay duty and deliver. Make sure your Adhaar card /Passport or any KYC document address is the same as your delivery address. You may need to upload KYC by email. You could track progress, using the tracking number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The highest rate of basic customs duty on parts is 20%.

Do you mean the grand total of customs duty, CVD, addl.CVD & various surcharges etc when you say 'customs duty'?

New rules for personal items.
https://trak-in.cdn.ampproject.org/c...stom-duty/amp/
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:55   #5327
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Yes, FedEx would clear customs, pay duty and deliver. Make sure your Adhaar card /Passport or any KYC document address is the same as your delivery address. You may need to upload KYC by email. You could track progress, using the tracking number.

New rules for personal items.
https://trak-in.cdn.ampproject.org/c...stom-duty/amp/
Thank you very much for your inputs. I am trying to source Ignition Coils for my Honda Civic. At local Honda they cost a cool 5.4k min each and for 4 i would get them at 21.6K plus vat ,installation etc would bring total cost around 25 to 28. At Rock Auto including FedEx Shipping the price is coming at ~12.5k and even if i get taxed 42% on 12.5k the total comes around 17750 which is still lesser than what i would pay at Honda. I would still save around min 4k i guess. I hope my calculations are correct.

Thanks again.
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:17   #5328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Does anybody have a link to the exact clause in the finance bill which makes this amendment? I've searched online and have not been able to find it. Is it even within the framework of the law to charge different rates of duty for the same item based on whether the importer is an individual or a corporate?
First, I think the distinction is based on whether something is for "personal use" or not, and I believe that is totally fine within the legal framework (our system is full of cases where personal use and non-personal use are charged differently; electricity is a prime example).

Anyway, I have tracked down the clause in the Finance Bill that makes this amendment. But I am not sure how Aramex is applying it to the Shopandship service. Has anyone seen such a communication from any other service? I plan to write to Aramex about my doubts.
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:28   #5329
Senior - BHPian

Recent experience with Amazon.in:

Around two weeks back, I placed an order for a book, a car charger and the Jopasu duster rejuvenator.

The deliver date had been stated as 15th April or before.

I got the charger on 13th April on my office address.
The book showed out for delivery on 14th, but wasn't delivered the whole day. I left for Mumbai on 14th evening and at the airport I received a message saying the courier needed more details in the address and so the package had not been delivered.

I reported the matter to Amazon support, stating that another package from the same order had been delivered by the same courier to the same address.

By the night of 14th, I received an email informing me of a Rs. 100 credit in my Amazon account for goodwill gesture. Because they had failed to deliver.

I got both the items the following Monday.

Mighty impressed with Amazon.
Old 24th April 2017, 13:41   #5330
Senior - BHPian

Those looking to buy a car DVR, check this out..

Blaupunkt BP2.0 Black Surveillance camera For Car

http://www.amazon.in/Blaupunkt-BP2-0...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 24th April 2017, 13:42   #5331
Senior - BHPian

The value of goods ordered is 136 dollars. If the shipping cost is included it comes to179. Will the custom duty be calculated on 136 dollars or it will be calculated on shipping cost as well ie on 179 dollars ?
Old 24th April 2017, 14:46   #5332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The value of goods ordered is 136 dollars. If the shipping cost is included it comes to179. Will the custom duty be calculated on 136 dollars or it will be calculated on shipping cost as well ie on 179 dollars ?
179 Dollars Plus Insurance if any.

Quote:
I would still save around min 4k i guess.
The difference is too little to take a chance, what if one of those does not work? Even If your overseas vendor will ship you a new one without any charge you will have to pay customs again, better buy locally or else try some junkyard. There are good possibilities of finding this from salvage.
Old 25th April 2017, 19:16   #5333
JLS
BHPian

5000 off on PS4 at Flipkart

Hello All,
There is an offer on Flipkart for PS4.
On any credit card / debit card, you get 5000 off!

I ordered Ps4 500 GB with two controllers for 24,999 - official price 29,999.

Seems this may not last long.

JLS
Old 26th April 2017, 14:14   #5334
BHPian

Just thought of sharing my 'bad experience' with Pepperfry...
I had been purchasing stuff from Pepperfry since last one year or so and quite happy with their products. But, the recent product that I brought, i wanted to return it as it had a design issue with the product. That's when i got to experience how tough these guys can become when i want to return something, the reason for which is not 'as per their policy'. The product that i wanted to return was not defective or damaged, just that it had a design defect because of which it was difficult for us to operate it. Now, as per their return policy, they cannot refund for these kind of reasons. So my request was out rightly rejected.
I have been shopping from Amazon and Snapdeal (and earlier Flipkart) since last 5-6 years and having experienced their return policy, i realized how different (and difficult) these guys are compared to Amazon, FK or SD!
Old 26th April 2017, 15:16   #5335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Just thought of sharing my 'bad experience' with Pepperfry...
I had been purchasing stuff from Pepperfry since last one year or so and quite happy with their products. But, the recent product that I brought, i wanted to return it as it had a design issue with the product. That's when i got to experience how tough these guys can become when i want to return something, the reason for which is not 'as per their policy'. The product that i wanted to return was not defective or damaged, just that it had a design defect because of which it was difficult for us to operate it. Now, as per their return policy, they cannot refund for these kind of reasons. So my request was out rightly rejected.
I have been shopping from Amazon and Snapdeal (and earlier Flipkart) since last 5-6 years and having experienced their return policy, i realized how different (and difficult) these guys are compared to Amazon, FK or SD!
Can you share the type/ brand of the product and the design flaw? We may want to avoid buying it from PF in the future.

I had a decent return experience from Pepperfry a couple of years back. This was an MDF wardrobe. It started shaking from day 1 and I was not confident of the quality. They tried to convince me to keep it, offered to send an expert carpenter to repair it, offered to pay me 1/3rd of the cost back and I can still keep the product etc. I rejected all offers and asked for a full refund and return. They honoured it. I guess the policy may have changed since then.
Old 26th April 2017, 15:26   #5336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Can you share the type/ brand of the product and the design flaw? We may want to avoid buying it from PF in the future.

I had a decent return experience from Pepperfry a couple of years back. This was an MDF wardrobe. It started shaking from day 1 and I was not confident of the quality. They tried to convince me to keep it, offered to send an expert carpenter to repair it, offered to pay me 1/3rd of the cost back and I can still keep the product etc. I rejected all offers and asked for a full refund and return. They honoured it. I guess the policy may have changed since then.
This (https://www.pepperfry.com/my-gift-bo...r-1431407.html) is the product that i was referring to.
Just to quote one of my other experience with pepperfry, recently i had ordered couple of chairs from them. When i received them, i saw lot of dust/stains and couple of scratches on the product. So, when i raised the request for return, they did offer me 'partial refund' (more than 50% refund) with the option of keeping the product. This option sounded attractive for me and hence i accepted their offer. So, that way, their return policy may still be the same. Just that we cannot return their product unless it is damaged, defective or not as described in the site.
Old 26th April 2017, 19:38   #5337
Senior - BHPian

One of my shipment is stuck at Bangalore sub foreign post office since 12th April.

Date Time Country Location Event Type Mail Category Next Office Extra Information
12/04/2017 12:40:26 India KOLKATA FOREIGN LCAO Transfer from office of exchange (Inb) Air BANGALORE SUB FGN POST

I have raised a complaint, no response. So sent an email to CPMG Karnataka Circle, who forwarded to Asst PMG (BD), who forwarded that to SSPOS EAST BANGALORE.

Not sure how many more forwards before I get a response.

Also wonder why India post is giving the highest authorities email id as the first escalation point.
Old 28th April 2017, 11:17   #5338
BHPian

I was thinking of buying a Lenovo ZUK Z2 Pro from AliExpress. ~$280 for Snapdragon 820, 5.2" AMOLED 1080p display, 6GB/128GB without being too big like One plus 3/T.

This duty hike has made me drop the plan. Looks like the government will be able to achieve what it wanted to, i.e stop most buyers from importing cheaper stuff from China

Last edited by theredliner : 28th April 2017 at 11:19.
Old 28th April 2017, 12:01   #5339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I was thinking of buying a Lenovo ZUK Z2 Pro.

This duty hike has made me drop the plan.
There are reports that ZUK brand itself will be diluted and New products will come under Moto brand. So, wait for some more discounts.

In any case, all these brands come under Lenovo.
Old 28th April 2017, 13:15   #5340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I have the 20000 mAh one, and it really isn't that bad ergonomically. Definitely not pocket size, but fits very well into my electrical accessories travel pouch.
I bought the 20Ah one on 21/4 and it was delivered on 24/4. Seems just fine to me (though not palm-size). So far, no complaints.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Most Viewed