Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2020, 13:35   #46
BHPian

Re: Where are you getting your groceries & supplies?

In Mahadevapura, Bangalore:

Amazon Pantry is delivering fast since last week and I am replying on it for dry stuff (1-2 days).

We've Metro C&C and Namdhari in immediate neighborhood, open roughly for 9 hours everyday. I went to Metro once at the start of lockdown and stocked essentials. Since then only visit Namdhari for fresh produce.

The grocers and veggie shops in my neighborhood are also open and people from my society visit these as well.

Milk etc is delivered to home regularly by MB and Daily Ninja.

I also see people getting deliveries from BB but I'm not able to get slots from them.

Overall pretty relaxed here at the moment.

Among online players, Amazon seemed to handle it well in terms of reliability (either yes or no). FK first postponed my order then kept deleting items. No slots in BB so far, which I think is a big miss for them.
Logan2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 13:57   #47
BHPian

Seems like most of you guys are doing just fine! It is okay to not get a particular type of food item readily available in such times.

But, for me, it's a different story. The nearest BigBazar/Dmart/RFresh is a good 5-6 km away. Add to this, my society authorities won't allow anyone to take their vehicles out of the gate without proper permission. So, I am limited to a couple of grocery stores that are just outside my society gate. Moreover, Amazon Pantry hasn't yet started delivering to my Pincode. BB is struggling way too hard to get items delivered. 1/4th of the total order placed only gets delivered! Flipkart too hasn't yet started delivering at my Pincode.

But, recently I found out that Box8 is also accepting grocery orders! Finally, some relief! Thanks to their promise of 38 min delivery, and they are living up to it. Dunzo and Swiggy is also beneficial sometimes, but only till 11 am.

Stay in! Stay safe!
Cheers -NA
na_agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:19   #48
BHPian

This is not an advertisement but just an effort to help the community - and spread the word if possible

The organisation I work for, has a small manufacturing set up in Nashik, Withthe lockdown coming into effect, we thought of using the factory premises to help the workers keep their jobs and also be of use to the community.

Almost overnight one of our colleagues came-up with the idea of vegetable baskets, as Nashik is the hub for fresh veggies and home deliver it to societies. This could also contribute to the farmers who were struggling to sell their produce with the APMCs shutting down.

We created such baskets and started taking orders through whatsapp groups in Mumbai and Thane and sold out the 1st lot of 90 boxes. Hoping to ship 500 boxes this week.

This has been well received by senior citizens who can't risk going out for veggie shopping and get a week's stock of veggies sitting at home.

Planning a fruit basket and a covid defence kit of face shields, face masks and sanitiser bottles next.

Has been a great experience so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Where are you getting your groceries & supplies?-whatsapp-image-20200414-5.27.24-pm.jpeg  

Where are you getting your groceries & supplies?-whatsapp-image-20200412-6.31.46-pm.jpeg  

Ameya_G is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:25   #49
BHPian

A big thanks to all the small Kirana stores around us who have been working hard in this situation. I had been buying my monthly grocery from More supermarket but now there's no point standing in a huge line especially when I can source all the items from my locality itself. Luckily we have almost everything in our locality right from Kirana store,vegetable vendors,meat shops,bakery and medical too. Cops in Mangalore are very strict and they close the shops if people have not maintained distance while standing in the que and seize the vehicles in case of unnecessary commutes.
Sahilrai166 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameya_G View Post
This is not an advertisement but just an effort to help the community - and spread the word if possible

The organisation I work for, has a small manufacturing set up in Nashik, Withthe lockdown coming into effect, we thought of using the factory premises to help the workers keep their jobs and also be of use to the community.

Looking at the pricing in your poster, there seems to be a 40% mark up on retail prices. Hope the farmers are getting their share too.
Theyota is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:54   #51
BHPian

In large societies in Mumbai, the society management has tied up with vegetable, fruit and egg vendors who come twice a week. In our society having 200 apartments, the vegetable and fruit vendor comes in Tata 407 while the egg vendor comes in a Piaggio Ape, and stay for the entire day. Every apartment is allotted a specific time of the day for 3-4 minutes so that there is no crowding near the vendor.

There is no disruption in milk delivery and is still being delivered every morning by my friendly neighborhood milk guy. Only difference is instead of coming up to each apartment, he drops off the milk packets at the lobby and the apartment numbers are written on each packet; since no one apart from residents are allowed into the buildings.

For fish and chicken, my friendly neighborhood shop is still delivering thankfully. However, the prices have increased.

For groceries, I ventured out from my house last weekend, after almost 4 weeks at 6am in the morning. The Dmart at Powai is now open for 24 hours. Only the grocery section is open and other sections have been barricaded. They allow 10 people at a time; check the temperature and put dollops of sanitizer on the hand before entering. I was after around 25 people so I had to wait for 20-25 minutes. Stocked up on groceries for around 2 months this time.
subhro1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 15:16   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
Looking at the pricing in your poster, there seems to be a 40% mark up on retail prices. Hope the farmers are getting their share too.
Yes they are getting their fair and full share at the time of procurement itself - The supply is a bit erratic and transportation from Nashik to door to door in Mumbai and Thane turns out a bit expensive as there are 2-3 vehicles involved. Also we are not procuring huge quantities to benefit from economies of scale which bumps up the cost a bit.
Ameya_G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 15:24   #53
BHPian

it's a struggle here in Gurgaon. Amazon Pantry is only delivering to one PIN code, not where I stay. Big Basket slots are always full. I managed to place an order on Grofers on 11th and the delivery was supposed to happen today but they have now postponed the delivery to 18th. As they had first delayed and then cancelled an order that I placed just before the lockdown, I am not too optimistic. Meanwhile, I am dependent on the neighborhood Grocery store which is cashing on the situation by selling substandard products at exorbitant price. I have limited my outings (have gone out only twice since the lockdown) and avoiding Supermarkets. Hope the situation improves after 20th with the relaxations.

Zappfresh is delivering without any glitch so I am well-stocked in proteins
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 15:46   #54
BHPian

Huge difference now(positive) as compared to couple of weeks back in Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore. Big Basket (provisions/veggies), Healthy Buddha(veggies), Licious(Meat) are all delivering fast. Even 1mg and Netmeds have improved in their delivery time for medicines. However, I assume that the slots especially in Big Basket are being reserved daily for old/premium members. Hence, no issues so far.. Over the past 25 days, have gone out only once when Big Basket had cancelled the delivery at the last moment, couple of weeks back.
kiranknair is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 16:05   #55
BHPian

Based in Vashi, Navi Mumbai:

Groceries: Managed to get most from dmart via their App. Only challenge is that only some part of the whole list get delivered. They have a challenge with delivery slots but found that checking app at 7:00 am means that some slot is available. Amazon Pantry delivered some other stuff but took a week to deliver. Grofers which I used regularly just keeps saying no slots available and come back later. Basic stuff such as bread, eggs, dal, rice, etc is available with neighbourhood kirana. Milk/Curd/Paneer/etc comes from the Warna shop which we have here.

We have a tempo with vegetable visit us once in 2 weeks and the neighbourhood veggie guy is also open now. They were closed for about 4-5 days.

An interesting site https://covidmaps.in/ shows you stores which are open nearby and how they are working.
aniketvu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 16:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

Not much problems for us thankfully. We have a More store, local vegetable market with limited vegetables and a supermarket with daily essentials. Surprisingly all maintain the minimum prescribed social distancing norms.
There was a time, when I would specifically go and buy from the local supermarket/ kirana stores even at slightly higher rates, because I felt if larger E-commerce sites took over our lives, these people's livelihoods would be lost. I am glad I thought that way.

In these days when the large Ecom companies have not been able to deliver anything , these local shops have come to our rescue. I even went and thanked them for remaining open and going beyond their call of duty , keeping the shops open for longer hours and managing the overall stress due to this once in a lifetime situation.

Last edited by hrman : 15th April 2020 at 16:33.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 16:50   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
it's a struggle here in Gurgaon. Amazon Pantry is only delivering to one PIN code, not where I stay. Big Basket slots are always full. I managed to place an order on Grofers on 11th and the delivery was supposed to happen today but they have now postponed the delivery to 18th. As they had first delayed and then cancelled an order that I placed just before the lockdown, I am not too optimistic. Meanwhile, I am dependent on the neighborhood Grocery store which is cashing on the situation by selling substandard products at exorbitant price. I have limited my outings (have gone out only twice since the lockdown) and avoiding Supermarkets. Hope the situation improves after 20th with the relaxations.

Zappfresh is delivering without any glitch so I am well-stocked in proteins
Have you tried Milkbasket & BB Daily? They are working absolutely fine atleast in my locality (Sec 47, Gurgaon). Also, there are a lot of vendors available on Swiggy store, Dunzo & Zomato as well for grocery needs.
Old 15th April 2020, 17:03   #58
BHPian

BB is definitely back to their normal service now, at least in my area. Agree that we will have difficulty in getting the slots and also the delivery dates are minimum 4-6 days from the time of booking. But, at least they are not cancelling the orders like they were doing couple of weeks back. Today I received my 6th order since 6nd of April. And for the last 3 orders, the delivery date used to be 6 days after the booking date. But, within a day, I could change the slot for the next day itself.
Old 15th April 2020, 17:03   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
Have you tried Milkbasket & BB Daily? They are working absolutely fine atleast in my locality (Sec 47, Gurgaon). Also, there are a lot of vendors available on Swiggy store, Dunzo & Zomato as well for grocery needs.
Milk Basket was not delivering a week ago here in sector-55. Have not tried BB daily, do they operate independently of the usual Big Basket? I have seen the options available in Zomato. I will probably try one for Vegetables and fruits.
Old 15th April 2020, 17:09   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

So is this the plan for delivery in Bangalore?

https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...ivered-2212240

"Bengaluru Residents Need Not Step Out, Essentials To Be Home Delivered"

"You don't have to step out of your homes for purchasing groceries. The Home Delivery (080-61914960) service is now extended to all the areas of Bengaluru," tweeted Bengaluru Mayor M Goutham Kumar."

"Shop owners must compulsorily register their shops by sending a message on Whatsapp."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News reports said the app/model was tested in South Bangalore last week. Anyone tried it and can let us know how it worked?

Not sure how it's going to work across Bangalore. Also, I couldn't make out from the news reports- is this mandatory, will this be the only way to get groceries in Bangalore? Or will we still be allowed to go to the shops/cart vendors?

Last edited by am1m : 15th April 2020 at 17:15.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed