Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2022, 13:56   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Climate change impact on India & the world

Some positive local news that took me by surprise too.

The attached pictures were taken just 8 years apart. In 2014, a friend had organized a sapling planting drive among the residents of her apartment building. Families with children went to a nearby area that the government had earmarked to develop as a park and planted a lot of saplings. Since I had a camera, they asked me to take some pics. I never went back to that area, but I understand that they kept an eye on the saplings and took care of them. Last week had to drop my wife off nearby, so just thought I'd walk there and see what the place looked like. And wow! Didn't expect the trees to grow that fast. (Mostly Honge, I think.) Had to call and confirm that it was indeed the same place.

So, let the governments do the big policy stuff, you do that small step today. Use a metal reusable bottle, avoid plastic, leave the gas guzzler at home and use the Metro, plant one tree (where it will have a chance to grow), do what you can. It all adds up even though at times it seems like it's not going to be enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Climate change impact on India & the world-01.jpg  

Climate change impact on India & the world-02.jpg  

Last edited by am1m : 26th August 2022 at 14:00.
am1m is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 23:07   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

The psychology of climate change?

Quote:
Climate change is a reality that’s becoming clearer to us with every year that goes by. The facts speak loud and clear. More and more creatures are under threat; the ice caps are melting at record speed and all around the globe; we’re seeing more frequent natural disasters such as extreme drought, flooding and tornados. Well-respected scientists are warning of a total meltdown if global warming isn’t limited to less than two degrees Celsius by the end of the century. But although humanity is very aware of the danger, our response has been slow -- to say to the least.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 14:11   #78
BHPian

With the current economic set up, it is important for any change for individuals or corporations to be incentivized financially,either negatively or positively. The movement towards EVs (especially for the past few years) is a good success story where lower running costs have contributed to the shift more than a concern for climate. Similiarly punitive fines need to be imposed on tough sectors like shipping, airplanes etc for a quicker switch to alternative modes. The bigger problem is handling deforestation and degradation of nature,where it is difficult to build any consensus.
guru_max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 01:18   #79
BHPian

The ugly face of climate change is showing its head in neighboring Pakistan. According to their Climate minister, 1/3rd of their country is underwater and more than 33 million have been affected. Atleast 1,000 people have died - mostly children. If I understand correctly, the primary cause of this flood is a glacier burst that's been directly linked to climate change. The same happened in Uttarakhand at a smaller scale in 2021. The melting ice of the Himalayas that has fed the Indian, Chinese and Indo-Chinese civilizations for thousands of years are ticking time bombs due to climate change with such glacier bursts likely becoming more frequent this decade. Mitigation for events of this scale isn't easy and we can expect such events to happen with increasing frequency including in India. After all, at the end of the day, it's developing countries that'll pay the price as predicted.

dragracer567 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 15:53   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

The other side of climate change. Protesters/activists destroy petrol pumps. Ironic, some of them use safety glasses, and hi-vis jackets which probably came from oil products? Also, using hammers on petrol vending machines? I hope they realize sparks and petrol don't go well together!

There are also groups which deflate SUV tyres. Hybrids don't count.

I doubt these means will drive the change these groups want to see.
Dry Ice is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 18:52   #81
PGA
BHPian

There is something uncanny that I have been observing for last four years. There has been a distinct reduction in localised rain on the farm lands vis a vis nearby cities.

My farm is located in the vicinity of two major towns and one smaller one. I have been seeing that over last few years that much greater amount of rain falls over these cities and around their immediate neighborhood than on my farm.

Could it be due to thermals rising from heat islands that our cities have come to be which aid precipitation. Another observation has been that temperature difference between my farm and the cities is to the tune of 6 degrees.
PGA is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 19:31   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
There is something uncanny that I have been observing for last four years. There has been a distinct reduction in localised rain on the farm lands vis a vis nearby cities.

Could it be due to thermals rising from heat islands that our cities have come to be which aid precipitation. Another observation has been that temperature difference between my farm and the cities is to the tune of 6 degrees.
+1 Sir. I have been thinking of the same. For instance in the past 10 days, heavy rains lashed our city at least thrice, while not a single drop fell on our village 15 kms away. This is part of a pattern that I have been noticing and wondering for sometime. I would have expected the opposite.

When you say the temperature difference is 6 degrees, is the city hotter or the farm? If I can share, at mid-day say between 11am - 2pm, its absolutely uncomfortable and energy sapping if I do any activity in the farm, but I don't feel half as uncomfortable around the same time when I cycle back for lunch to home from the place I work out from. (Is it due to all the moisture rising from the paddy fields all around and engulfing the area?)

Last edited by rrsteer : 11th September 2022 at 19:35.
rrsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 07:57   #83
BHPian

This video was shot 13 yrs ago. Can't imagine how much worse climate change has become since then. No wonder we are seeing extreme weather patterns these days.
deetee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 17:56   #84
Senior - BHPian

Global sea level continues to rise.
Climate change impact on India & the world-20221102_174931.jpg
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 21:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

From India's perspective, its important to realize that its per-capita economic status matters so much in this issue. About 15 years ago, the the average urban middle or upper middle class dweller had a much higher disposable income relative to the lowest levels of the society. That arithmetic has changed, as most people in the lower-economic strata have seen their average incomes double or even triple at the lower end of the scale. We see a lot of people from erstwhile lower-income category (pandemic notwithstanding) purchasing consumer goods and services, traveling and consuming food at a higher value than before. It would be simply unfair to suddenly make them bear the burden of the rich man's sins by way of resorting to sustainable living. What is sustainable living for us probably means a cutback for those who are just beginning to enjoy their newfound economic status. At the same time, the fact that rapid infrastructure development is taking place in urban, semi-urban and village areas close to pristine forest land, mountains and water bodies, is taking a huge toll as well. There may be a need to consolidate development plans for towns/villages in order to leave forests alone. Besides this, population control measures may also be needed from the sustainability perspective-this may result in loss of the very demographic dividend that has fuelled India's present decade of growth. And this will echo in all those countries which are presently on the development path.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 17:39   #86
Senior - BHPian

The talks seem to be failing at COP27, EU threaten to walk away if no stricter measures are implemented, no deal is better than bad deal. Looks obvious that the temperature raise cannot be stopped below 1.5°C.

Expect more stricter action on emissions.

Climate change impact on India & the world-screenshot_20221119173313_twitter.jpg
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 21:45   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Merchant Navy's ship's fuel to undergoing a silent change in support of climate change measures.

For nearly a century, the world’s oceangoing fleet has been operating on Heavy Fuel Oil a refinery by product that costs 1/3rd less than crude oil. The 50,000 vessels ploughing the high seas consume over five million barrels daily, not much less than the world’s aircraft fleet. 5% of oil ends up getting burned in a ship’s engine. But these days may be ending soon.

This is because regulations and rules being hammered out silently by the International Maritime Organization or IMO (the UN body regulating shipping) are about to change the industry beyond measure.

Following decades of resistance, the IMO is about to implement measures to reduce its carbon footprint in the shipping world. It wants to lower emissions intensity to about 40% below the levels of 2008 by the end of the decade, with carbon pollution by the year 2050 dropping to half of the observed levels of 2008. From 2023, all vessels will have to share their emissions and report their strategies to improve if they have been underperforming.

Three years ago, all ships were operated by heavy fuel oil which is cheap but nasty. It comes with a heavy sulphur content that damages the environment. The IMO tightened rules on sulphur emissions at the start of 2020, mandating any vessel that could not install pollution-control devices to switch to cleaner diesel overnight.
Faced with rising costs to power fleets, ship owners are now switching to eco-friendly alternatives. So far, the winner has been LNG, which typically delivers energy at a considerably lower price than diesel.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 18:13   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Sharing two interesting charts I came across recently while digging around in my usual unemployed fashion.

Climate change impact on India & the world-change_in_average_temperature_with_fahrenheit.svg.pngSource NASA
The first is on the change in mean surface air temperature as measured over 10 years, 2011-2021, versus the same data from 1956-1976. Chart below. It is of concern that in and around the poles the rise is in the 2 degrees range and lesser in the tropics. India seems to be in the less than 1 degree bracket.

Climate change impact on India & the world-screenshot-293.pngSource: Govt of India
The second is the installed capacity today in India of renewable energy. At 37% this is creditable. Given that most of renewable sources are cyclic the actual output in Twh is 21.7% in 2021-22 versus 17.3% in 2014-15. At 322 Twh India remains 5th in terms of Kwh output from renewable sources behind China, USA, Brazil, Canada in that order. Of the large countries Brazil leads the way with 80% of its power output coming from hydro-electric. But it is China that shows what can be done with an output of over 1800Twh! - more than the next four combined.

This thread is amongst the least read ones on Team BHP today with our share of detractors. I wonder how important climate change and its implications will be in 2043. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we will be dealing with more chaos and panic.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 21st January 2023 at 18:18.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 11:02   #89
BHPian

Record breaking heat waves across Asia and southern parts of Europe.

Climate change impact on India & the world-hot_1.jpg
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 20:04   #90
Senior - BHPian

No one cares, I am beginning to realise. The risk reward ratio is asymmetric. The world's decisions are made by old white men, who have little to lose with climate change. They'll all be dead anyway. Now there is some hope that a lot of money will pour into climate, like some sort of silver bullet. Again, the investment industry expects asymmetric and short term results, neither of which describes climate action.

Enjoy the next ten years, because it's all going to go up in flames. Literally.
v1p3r is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed