Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 10:18   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Work From Home (WFH): Is this the future for many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Most of the people I know seem to be still in an optional/hybrid mode, with most of them opting to not go in, or at most once in a while.
Heard that for hybrid, it is mandatory that the employees should be in the base location even on the days they do not go to office. Is it true?
adisan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 10:23   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Heard that for hybrid, it is mandatory that the employees should be in the base location even on the days they do not go to office. Is it true?
The few companies I have friends at seem to have that rule in place, yes. I think it differs though, would be good to hear from more people about what is going on in their orgs.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 10:31   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, especially if the office premise is in a SEZ zone. My previous firm (India arm) leader made this very clear that the Mumbai/MH government had made it very clear on that. At a firm level, they were open to be flexible for a minority percentage for a one year timeframe but that would be on a case to case basis.

The other flexibility they were offering was allowing folks to be located in the same state (we had offices in Mumbai & Pune) but not beyond these two cities. This was shared end of last year and I don't think all my team mates shifted back by start of this year so I guess it's a rule that isn't being enforced diligently but I expect it to be enforced by end of this year. I have heard similar arguments being made in my current firm as well as my wife's firm (both in very different industries and in Bangalore).
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 10:43   #349
Senior - BHPian

My company is Ok with permament wfh so long as there's no insistence from the customer. There's no requirement to be in the same city or state either. I'm very happy with this decision. It acts as an incentive to retain people. I'll certainly not change over to a company that insists on working from office.

Another large company I know of is allowing permament wfh with a 5-10% salary cut which I think is reasonable. I think the trend going forward will be higher salary for in-office work, especially for those with the right skills.

Companies that have invested in large campuses are usually the ones insisting on a return to office.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 13th June 2022 at 10:48.
sdp1975 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 11:37   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

To add more details- my company has reduced the number of seats in the office, based on what the employees said they would prefer. Prior to the pandemic we were negotiating for a bigger space, thankfully that hadn't been finalized. Now we don't even have enough seats to accommodate everyone even if all of us wanted to return.

The company where my wife works (a massive US-based company) is not asking employees to return unless they are in a direct client-facing role. Not even required to return to any of the cities where they have offices. Employees were asked to opt for a permanent remote or office-based role. Based on that response, they shut 2 of the 3 offices they were renting Bangalore and must be saving a tidy sum.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 19:11   #351
Senior - BHPian

I personally don't like WFH - way to many distractions and I lose my routine.

I was just thinking - Did WFH cause all these problems for the IT market? With people working from home they are free to attend 3-4 interviews a day. This is something one could never do when you work from the office!
Captain Slow is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 14:08   #352
BHPian

My native is just 195 kms away in a different state. My company has asked people to work from office 3 days a week. Initial days, there were people coming in. But that enthusiasm is gone now and in our project even the top mgmt does not come.

I am in a dilemma to sell off everything in my base location and go back to my native.
The company is also not clearly telling what is that they want, WFH, Hybrid or all days work from office etc.
deemash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 15:11   #353
BHPian

My company has started insisting that employees be in office 3 days a week earlier it was 2 days. This has resulted in many getting infected with Covid including me. The dissatisfaction is gradually rising and the attrition has gradually risen to approx. 34%. So in effect there is complete new set of associates every 3 months now.

Last edited by sunbaj : 24th June 2022 at 15:12.
sunbaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 17:30   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
My native is just 195 kms away in a different state. My company has asked people to work from office 3 days a week. Initial days, there were people coming in. But that enthusiasm is gone now and in our project even the top mgmt does not come.

This is the case in lot of offices. Even in my office, we were asked to come to office 3 days a week, people do use to come earlier for couple of days, but that frequency is down to 1 now or even to once every 2 weeks.

We were told that there are few SEZ related tax benefits which company claims needs people to be in Office. Its like benefits claimed on earnings by developing and selling Software's needs that software to be developed in SEZ and not at individual's home.
INJAXN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 17:44   #355
BHPian

Our company has added so many people that we dont have enough seats ! Just going to office 1 day per week.
Its nice to work with live collaboration. Helps to discuss and close things quickly face to face. Going out for lunch, tea with team is kind of refreshing. I am all for working this way with up to 2 days in office and rest WFH.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 12:53   #356
VVN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
My company is Ok with permament wfh so long as there's no insistence from the customer....

Another large company I know of is allowing permament wfh with a 5-10% salary cut which I think is reasonable. I think the trend going forward will be higher salary for in-office work, especially for those with the right skills.

Companies that have invested in large campuses are usually the ones insisting on a return to office.
I don't think it is reasonable for any Indian company or any company based out of India to cut salary based on the location. The tax structure is uniform across the country unlike in the US. The anti work movement which is gaining traction in the US and other western countries desperately needs to come to India. The work force here is not at all protected and companies almost always end up taking advantage of the desperate situation.

Coming to the WFH situation, my org has currently made it mandatory for certain teams to work from office. Certain under performers are also asked to come to office. I think this is what will work moving forward especially given the fact that nothing really broke when WFH was at its peak. Everything worked like clockwork.
VVN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 13:46   #357
BHPian

The organization that I work for has this hybrid work model where the employees should work from office for 2 days every week and rest they can WFH.

I am bit scared to go to office due to many comorbidities that I have. But they are pushing me to come to office. I am in very big dilemma.
Old 26th June 2022, 13:53   #358
BHPian

Quote:
It is true in my company which is an European MNC. We are following 3+2 at the very minimum but all employees must be in Noida or surrounding areas. But I observe people are eager to be back to office. The human connection is something people have missed. My company provides for a very employee friendly atmosphere and more often than not colleagues become friends. So everybody misses that cuppa
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 13:56   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
The organization that I work for has this hybrid work model where the employees should work from office for 2 days every week and rest they can WFH.

I am bit scared to go to office due to many comorbidities that I have. But they are pushing me to come to office. I am in very big dilemma.
Same here. No comorbidities as such but I have been in lockdown mode(no malls/hotels/theatres) since covid started March 2020 as I have a small baby. But office forced the same and now I am travelling twice a week reluctantly with double mask.

What I do is once I reach office spray my desk and wipe it with tissue. Keep sanitizing my palms when I touch common doors etc. Carry my own food and avoid canteen etc not even coffee. And when leaving I spray and wipe my equipments(laptop, mouse and mouse-pad) before putting them in the bag.

Been 2 months since I started going to office and follow this religiously. I know sounds paranoid but that’s how it is. My colleagues are getting positive even now but firm doesn’t want to go back to full WFH sadly and I need the salary so can’t quit

P.S: Me and all my adult family members(4 of us) are fully vaccinated (all 3 doses) but the baby(1.9 year old) obviously isn’t.

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th June 2022 at 14:25.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 17:21   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVN View Post
I don't think it is reasonable for any Indian company or any company based out of India to cut salary based on the location.
Few companies got a city allowance policy which differs within the country. Probably, they are taking out that, if it a permanent WFH.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks