Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Your priority purchases post lockdown?
Car/ Bike/ Scooter 28 5.25%
Electronic gadgets (TV, cellphone, laptop etc) 71 13.32%
Clothes, footwear etc 36 6.75%
Lifestyle products (Home Gym, etc) 19 3.56%
Household items (Refrigerator, Furniture, kitchen items etc) 64 12.01%
Others (please do mention) 74 13.88%
Not planning on buying anything 241 45.22%
Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th April 2020, 22:12   #136
BHPian

Default Re: What's the first thing you'll buy after the lockdown ends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
Voted for Other.

The first thing I am going to buy after the lock down ends, is a portable tyre inflator and a puncture repair kit...

....So at this juncture, I'll summon the wisdom of the good folks on this forum, to suggest any brand/model they have used thoroughly and swear by. Much appreciate the help.
Realized after posting that my request for suggestions on the tyre inflator might be OT on this thread. Mods please pardon me for that and merge this post to any suitable existing thread.
Old 30th April 2020, 22:40   #137
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My list includes

1 plate Samosa, 1 plate of chaat. followed by spare 100 litres of Diesel in jerry cans.

And then:-
1. Renew the driving license. Expiry is due July this year.
2. Good quality an office chair.
3. A dishwasher and a front load washing machine.
4. Used Milagrow floor cleaning robot on OLX.
5. Apparel for my a year old kid.

Last edited by dicor : 30th April 2020 at 22:48. Reason: punctuation
Old 30th April 2020, 22:42   #138
BHPian

The number one priority if non-essential items open up for sale, either conventional or online, will be a good 'office' chair. Working from home for more than a month sitting on a regular dining table chair has been a horrible experience, not to mention incessant neck pain which needs relieving with frequent breaks. Work from Home is going to continue till at least May-end as informed by our organization so investment in a good chair will be an investment in self.
Apart from that a mobile, which I get to change every 2 years and am due to purchase one in May this year (company sponsored expense )
All other items go on the back-burner.
Old 30th April 2020, 22:53   #139
BHPian

My list includes:
1. Wacom graphic tablet to connect to a computer (to be used by my wife for conducting online tuitions)
2. Getting door damping / underseat subwoofer for my Seltos gtx dct (the SQ I am getting out of so called bose system is not as good as tiago supplemented with a humble 8 inch box subwoofer).
Old 30th April 2020, 23:11   #140
HrB
BHPian

I've been meaning to buy a new Smart TV even before the lockdown was announced. That is still there in the list. But during the past one month, priorities have changed. Following is my prioritized list .
1. Inverter - the inverter gave up during the 1st week of lockdown. Living in the darkness whenever there is a powercut.
2. Glass for window : One of the bathroom window broke during the seasonal Storm.
3. Hawai Chappal - I had 3 pairs. Strangely, all gone.
4. Smart TV - Not a necessity by any means. It's a want.
Old 30th April 2020, 23:37   #141
BHPian

From a businessman's perspective - If the valuations are cheap (and most likely they will be) - will buy or acquire a significant stake in a business/company. Cash-rich companies are going to be on a shopping spree.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 00:38   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
From a businessman's perspective - If the valuations are cheap (and most likely they will be) - will buy or acquire a significant stake in a business/company. Cash-rich companies are going to be on a shopping spree.
Do you mean buying the stocks or like real businesses ?

Last edited by aah78 : 1st May 2020 at 00:43. Reason: Spacing fixed.
Old 1st May 2020, 00:44   #143
BHPian

Was on a look out for a good compact SUV (Diesel). Got some good deal and eagerly waiting for lockdown to recede to get my Nissan Kicks home.
Old 1st May 2020, 02:18   #144
BHPian

Probably a car as I have been waiting past 1 year. Parking issues to no parking deferred the decision.
Also if domestic flights do not resume and I believe they would not , I would buy clothes , accessories for my Mac and furniture for home office.I am in my hometown without my essential work / wear accessories.
Came home on a week vacation and the vacation got extended
Old 1st May 2020, 02:33   #145

Decided to make the best of this lockdown and finally went on that diet that I have been wanting to for several years, but have never been successful until now.

As I already own a couple of weights enough for working out at home and have a hair trimmer (thankfully!), the first thing I crave to do after this lockdown ends is to go and have dinner from a nice restaurant.
Old 1st May 2020, 03:52   #146
BHPian

Voted for others. More stocks, cause buying stocks in the market are not listed!

Although my answers are nothing like others have probably posted about, I am just being honest!

1) A better chair to pass all these hours parked on my read-end. The current one has gone on a slant with the awkward positions while playing PUBG, spend my day on a plastic chair, with some pillows as backrest and one to sit on. This may continue for a while I guess, uncertain times ahead.

2) Get my MacBook fixed! The port and charger have burnt out (MagSafe 2 pin problem apparently is very common!) So, a new charging port in repairs and a new charger.

3) Cigarettes for days like this or a potential second wave - who knows what is in store? Astronomical prices are annoying, but not enough will power to kick the butt.

4) A ring for the lady. Long overdue and if I delay it any longer, I will probably have to hear about it for the rest of my life

MOD NOTE - Post edited, Rule 11 and 3 smilies.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st May 2020 at 09:51. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 1st May 2020, 07:04   #147
Team-BHP Support

1. I'm going to get myself a pair of running shoes. The ones I have are old and about to give up the ghost.

2. Have to get a pressure cooker for home. Our's broke down during the lockdown. Our neighbour has very graciously lent us her's.

3. Gonna get the car serviced. That's overdue now.

Don't really need anything else. I don't plan to buy anything unless it is really necessary.
Old 1st May 2020, 10:57   #148
BHPian

Hair clippers - in fact, mine just got delivered under "essentials" from Flipkart! I will not be going to the barber for a while. A given that I have near zero "special styling" requirements, this may be a permanent move if I'm even slightly happy with the results!

I predict intelligent hair clippers and "robo" clippers soon if everyone decides they don't need a barber. Imagine, creating your hairstyle on your laptop / phone from templates, donning a dome (like those for drying your hair) and letting the software and hardware do its job. The more creative ones will create new templates and either post them for free or charge for them. Given that we have 3D printing, haircuts are not going to be that far off!

I think we need a separate thread for evaluating Hair Trimmers/Clippers for haircuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrB View Post
3. Hawai Chappal - I had 3 pairs. Strangely, all gone.
My suggestion, buy a Paragon - even the cheapest ones last and last, and they are comfortable.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th May 2020 at 08:59. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 1st May 2020, 11:12   #149
BHPian

My shopping list includes (the major items)

1. Air conditioner
2. Car (My current ride is now more than 15 years old and hence unfit for public use in Delhi NCR).
Old 1st May 2020, 12:41   #150
BHPian

I don't plan to buy anything. The enforced confinement has led to a realization that we actually need very little & desire a lot.

Two things I need to get done, but they aren't acquisitions.
- It's peak summer the AC's need their annual AMC.
- Pest control is long overdue in my apartment

That's about it. Rest are merely Wants & Desires and certainly not needs. The basic quality of my life will not change if I do have them or not.

One look at my closet is reason enough to believe in minimalism. Every day when I don my shorts, I look at my collection of shirts, trousers, jeans, tees, socks & think to myself what was I thinking when I acquired all this? An extended lapse of reason is what happened.
laser2707 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed