Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your priority purchases post lockdown?
Car/ Bike/ Scooter 29 5.43%
Electronic gadgets (TV, cellphone, laptop etc) 71 13.30%
Clothes, footwear etc 36 6.74%
Lifestyle products (Home Gym, etc) 19 3.56%
Household items (Refrigerator, Furniture, kitchen items etc) 64 11.99%
Others (please do mention) 74 13.86%
Not planning on buying anything 241 45.13%
Voters: 534. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2020, 19:21   #181
BHPian

Re: What's the first thing you'll buy after the lockdown ends?

Books for kids.. Academic & others.. Can't see kids glued to screens all day. Online class, study videos, fun games, what not. Simply too much. One thing I hate about lock down is it's making them addicted to screens. Going out and playing is barred largely.
Vizay is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 20:27   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
What was Livpures service like during the lockdown?

Sutripta
They did call as follow up, but my apartments were under siege. They're scheduled for installation next week.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 17:28   #183
BHPian

Noticed this thread just now.. As the lockdown 4.0 is in progress and many changes are setting in. Here goes my list - split into TWO - Already Bought & wishlist.

Need for some of these things arised as I kept staring at few parts of the house for long and also paid more attention to rest of the members in the family.

Already picked these items (small to significant)

- 10m HDMI to HDMI cable for the TV and tata sky unit (Longer one needed to hide the ugly wire behind the wood work). Dint go for Amazon basics and felt this one would better. https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00GG57JO8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Screenguard for my wife's phone. This was DIY so bought two from different sellers

- Philips trimmer BT 3221 - Something which O never thougt I will buy in my life. Overall a good decision - great product so far. From Amazon. https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07D17R2PP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Mi Box 4K from Flipkart (as my Chromecast suddenly gaveup) Happy to have discovered this - else I would have spent 3k more on a Firestick & Alexa. Highly recommended, if you are looking for a streaming device. https://offers.store.flipkart.com/mi...FUX9HEF5E8JFTR

- A printer for home use - Picked a Canon inktank G3010 from Reliance Digital. They surprised me with next day delivery. This has been in my mind for long. Now with WFH situation and kid's school starting from home I took the decision to make it less of a hassle. Else I used to go out for regular prints. https://in.canon/en/consumer/pixma-g3010/product

- Few plants for the desk - succulents & moneyplant. I definitely feel that workspace has to be interesting, inviting and inspiring

This list may seem long for few. But for me this has really made me feel comfortable on daily basis. I carefully picked products that can do multiple things and also serve me and my family well.

Wishlist for near future or later

- Floor Cleaning robot. If anyone has experience with such products, please share your suggestions. To me it is a simple replacement to my maid and cost recovered over 2 to 3 years with regular attendance. https://irobot.in/i-series.aspx

- Insurance - like many mentioned here. Plain 'Term'

- Home theatre - That's a small indulgence out of the entire list.

- Invest in skill building courses.

- Invest time in my hobbies - This is to make my days more meaningful for myself. And continue learning.

Now I will also go through the thread in detail to pickup some great ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj.bhalla View Post
My kids will have online classes from June, so laptops for them will be the purchase that I will do.
If I may suggest - For kids, you may consider desktops instead of laptops. From my personal experience during this period, I have seen my kid is more comfortable with desktop - large screen, dedicated place etc. I have Lenovo C-40 Series All-in-one. It is just a screen with everything built it. Have an UPS.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th May 2020 at 17:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
vigneshnr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 17:38   #184
BHPian

On the contrary, I realised that I have things too many. I really don't need many stuff that I have piled up over the years. Need to get rid of some of them.
The focus now will be on maintaining good health and happiness.
skchettry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 19:30   #185
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised at the 45% who don't need to buy anything. I am in no mood to spend but unfortunately, this lockdown has hurled up a big list of needs out of which the house hold items and repairs including electrical appliances that constitute a significant percentage of the purchase. Renewal of car insurance policies are an additional burden.

Among the wants, following are worth a mention-
1) Office chair
2) Piano (noob trying to pick a hobby to de-stress)
3) Other misc. electronics that aid for study or WFH like Monitor, wireless mouse etc.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 25th May 2020 at 19:32.
Old 31st May 2020, 08:58   #186
BHPian

I've been using an iRobot Roomba 960 for the past 20 months. Expensive but well worth the money for peace of mind and efficiency. Generally fuss free ownership save for a couple of times when something got stuck inside and I felt the robot needed deep cleaning. Irobot Bangalore was very responsive and offered to arrange for a free pickup, service and delivery (from Bangalore, I live in Delhi). I've been also considering their sweeping robot, Brava, for some time now.

While there are many new players in the market at the moment, my research indicated that iRobot beats them in consistency and reliability. It is the big daddy of robot vacuums. If you have the cash, then go for the latest i7 which will reduce your bin clearing hassle to once a week. Else evaluate your floor area, carpets etc and general dustiness (most dust is dead skin so the more people in the house means more dust) and pick one with enough suction power and battery life.

The biggest benefit of my ownership is freedom from unreliable and untrustworthy maids. Between a Roomba, a Dyson V8 for cleaning corners and car, dishwasher, washing machine and a fabric steamer I completely in source my chores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
Noticed this thread just now.. As the lockdown 4.0 is in progress and many changes are setting in. Here goes my list - split into TWO - Already Bought & wishlist.

Need for some of these things arised as I kept staring at few parts of the house for long and also paid more attention to rest of the members in the family.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 31st May 2020 at 09:22. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 31st May 2020, 10:16   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr;

- Floor Cleaning robot. If anyone has experience with such products, please share your suggestions. To me it is a simple replacement to my maid and cost recovered over 2 to 3 years with regular attendance. https://irobot.in/i-series.aspx
Had sunk a sizeable sum in such a cleaning dev ice a few years ago.

It's simply not worth it..

A magic mop works much better...
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 10:49   #188
BHPian

Quote:

I am using iRobot Braava 390t which is most helpful in Indian context where we need wet mopping. Bought it from Amazon, and using it since April 2017. Works better than other brands' 2 in 1 vacuum+mops. I use a Dyson cordless V8 vacuum cleaner (its manual work but way way way better than sweeping with a broom and better result than any robotic vacuum) and use this robotic mop thrice a week for wet moping. Tried roomba vacuum robots also, but they are noisy, parts are costlier and take time to finish cleaning (1:30 hr for 3 bhk). Braava takes longer time and needs little attention to refile water but its silent and not intrusive.

Only and the biggest Achilles' heel for any iRobot product in India is its service and accessories availability, mainly the battery (they sell online but adds a huge rs.400 delivery charge over their already high price tag).

But none the less, it helps (https://irobot.in/300-series.aspx).
dipdawiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 11:16   #189
BHPian

I'm going to buy a honeycomb grille for my Altis. Please note that I can get a new Altis or another used Altis very easily. But this grille is very hard to get. The honeycomb grille I'm speaking of is seen on the first generation diesel Altis.

If and whenever I get it, I am going to do some subtle modifications to her, along with some suspension touch ups.
Old 29th June 2020, 19:25   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
I've been using an iRobot Roomba 960 for the past 20 months. Expensive but well worth the money for peace of mind and efficiency. If you have the cash, then go for the latest i7 which will reduce your bin clearing hassle to once a week.
[/b]
Hi, took some time to respond.. Thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning towards iRobot products owing to its support and reliability

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
Yes.. And I am yet to persuade my family fully to agree on this purchase. Now everyone is ok with the routine that has set in with mops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
I am using iRobot Braava 390t which is most helpful in Indian context where we need wet mopping. I use a Dyson cordless V8 vacuum cleaner.

Only and the biggest Achilles' heel for any iRobot product in India is its service and accessories availability, mainly the battery (they sell online but adds a huge rs.400 delivery charge over their already high price tag).

But none the less, it helps (https://irobot.in/300-series.aspx).
With higher adoption, I guess they would price the services better in future. Will sure check the Dyson product alongside.
Somehow vacuum cleaners didn't take off in India like other appliances like washing machine, RO and I feel this robot cleaners fall into the same bucket for families. But a category to watch.
Old 29th June 2020, 19:43   #191
Senior - BHPian

I picked up iLife Robot Vac for 16K for its service back up in Bellandur. And a Dyson V10 Absolute for areas the Robot will miss. LG Dishwasher is installed, and so is a 700 liter Fridge. I'm expecting Lock-down to hit us again, given the rising cases. Now, nobody is allowed inside the apartment complex to install a water purifier even, so the timing was right
Quote:
I am leaning towards iRobot products owing to its support and reliability
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 06:28   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post

Ask someone who has allergies. The amount of dust/ pet hair it takes out even after mop is surprising. It's a life saver. I bought an entry level model for trial purpose, now I have no second thoughts about going for a higher model even though it is quite expensive.
ast.ggn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 17:13   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Ask someone who has allergies. The amount of dust/ pet hair it takes out even after mop is surprising. It's a life saver. I bought an entry level model for trial purpose, now I have no second thoughts about going for a higher model even though it is quite expensive.
To that end, a vacuum cleaner would be a much better investment.
Old 30th June 2020, 17:37   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I'm going to buy a honeycomb grille for my Altis. Please note that I can get a new Altis or another used Altis very easily. But this grille is very hard to get. The honeycomb grille I'm speaking of is seen on the first generation diesel Altis.

If and whenever I get it, I am going to do some subtle modifications to her, along with some suspension touch ups.
Check with this guy
Mr. Danish Ameer on 9871336369. Maybe he could help.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 02:13   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Voted Others.

1. Buying a vacation for my family.

2. A peaceful bike ride out of Mumbai, to the hills probably.

I also plan to visit a shop which supplies me with some tonic that is helping me survive the lock down.
So just wanted to revive this old thread.

What had we thought, and what did we buy first thing after the lock-down opened.. well in phases at-least.

For me:
1. I do not yet dare to go for a vacation anywhere, so that's out of question.
2. Not ridding the bike even when the lock-down has opened.

Thanks to new work culture adopted/forced/developed in the past few months, I now-a-days hardly get to spend "quality" time with family on the weekdays.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner happens near the computer, or on the call. The work-from-home has not become any reality, its more like live-in-office.
So on the weekends (usually when I used to ride), I shutdown my office & spend time with my family.

Well, I did manage to get the tonics that I spoke about. Thanks to the home delivery model adopted by them.

In fact I procured a lot more things than I could think of.
1. A brand new laptop (MSI GF63) + 16 Gb RAM + 1 TB HDD for it.
2. A bicycle for me and my daughter.
3. Board games.
4. Firestick and subscriptions to many streaming channels.

Go on, share the stuff you though you would buy or NOT buy, and ended up buying during or at the end of the lock-down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks