Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your priority purchases post lockdown?
Car/ Bike/ Scooter 29 5.43%
Electronic gadgets (TV, cellphone, laptop etc) 71 13.30%
Clothes, footwear etc 36 6.74%
Lifestyle products (Home Gym, etc) 19 3.56%
Household items (Refrigerator, Furniture, kitchen items etc) 64 11.99%
Others (please do mention) 74 13.86%
Not planning on buying anything 241 45.13%
Voters: 534. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2020, 09:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: What's the first thing you'll buy after the lockdown ends?

I have been using my Oneplus 3 for more than 3.5 years now. Though the phone works just like it used to on Day 1, I want to buy a phone from some side income I am expecting. Lets see.

Hope I don't get a salary cut till then and hopefully will be able to retain my job.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th April 2020 at 10:18. Reason: C > see.
2000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 10:46   #47
BHPian

We have sold our Micra CVT in December and planned for a new Car in March, but due to pandemic everything is pushed back. Now we repent selling it.

My wife travels daily by Uber, now due to the current scare she wants to drive herself. So the first purchase after lockdown for us might be a new Automatic Hatchback.
RaceHorse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 10:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I'm actually looking forward to invest in some high density weights, an inclining bench, pull up bar, and a 3ft rod for home workouts. The thing I've missed the most is the gym.
Agreed. Have really been thirsting for a good workout with lots of iron. While home workouts have been all the rage and heavily marketed in this time, it just doesn't cut it for me since I'm used to a good gym session 4-5 times a week. But don't think I'll buy anything for home. Will just pray that gyms open up within the next month or two.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th April 2020 at 11:10. Reason: Typos.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 10:58   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at it slightly differently, in my view, even after lock down ends, in the foreseeable future, there will be a fundamental change in the way we do various things and that will trigger some new purchases. And I think this will be across different strata of society in different forms. So no intention to see m elitist here.

Few examples:
  • As few folks already mentioned, comfortably going to a saloon (could be the next door barber shop or a high end saloon/parlor) is going to be some way. Which means a hair trimmer (or to be more generic, a hair cutting kit of some form) will be something that a lot of people will buy.
  • Products that simplify home cleaning. Could be a fancy mop, a vaccum cleaner or a high end iRobot kind of thing.
  • With schools and colleges reopening someway away and online classes being planned, there will be a need for devices to enable this. Again it could be anything from a mobile phone to a desktop or entry to high end laptops.
  • With going out to the movies again a long way away and content on OTT platforms rapidly increasing, enabling a movie watching experience at home is also going to see an uptick. Again could be a new TV, a better TV, maybe better sound systems or even high end projectors.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 11:11   #50
Team-BHP Support

Here in Singapore it is not lock-down really, and with the closures I have a new-found friend in Amazon

But I do miss my regular coffee fix from the cafe next to my office. So that's the priority buy when the shops open up!

What's the first thing you'll buy after the lockdown ends?-3412b3f1a5ff4bd9ab4c3e055a30a878.jpeg

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th April 2020 at 11:13.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 11:14   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

By sheer luck, I seem to have done all my shopping for things just before COVID-19. Including comfort items, essentials (other than consumer goods of course), electronics, tools, car modification items etc. After almost a decade, I have no items in the wishlist in the shopping apps either! I have to consider myself lucky. Voted for the last option. Not planning on buying absolutely anything!

Even if the lockdown lifts - it is mainly due to the necessity for people to earn. Lockdown lifting absolutely does not mean that the all clear alarm is sounded. Social distancing must remain as a standard practisc now on. So unless a potent vaccine is developed, the shot is taken by the population and hopefully general communal resistance to the virus is developed after gradual exposure - minimizing social contact is what I'll stick to.

As such - I'll not be buying anything other than bare necessities for survival for quite a while to come. Everything else - can wait for better times when I can enjoy them better also.

Of course - people not buying things like I won't be - has dire consequences for the world too. Unless people go out shopping and open up their wallets - economies are going to be doomed. But survival comes before economy basically.

Last edited by Reinhard : 28th April 2020 at 11:15.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 11:15   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Working from home for me primarily involves calls through the day, both on phone and over conference apps. I desperately need a truly wireless earphones like Jabra elite etc. to make life easier for me as I like to move about the house.
I have both Jabra Elite 65t and AirPods for over a year now.

My recommendation AirPods for office work or phone calls and Jabra Elite 65t for Exercise or while using in metro or whenever mobile.

In AirPods microphone is in both earbuds so one can use either left or right or both for calls.

In Jabra 65t microphone is in only left side so after long hours on calls if ear starts paining then there is no option to switch to other ear.

If your ecosystem looks like mine - iPad, MacBook, iPhone then AirPods are a beauty as one can keep switching bluetooth connection between devices.

However I have used AirPods and Jabra 65t both with Android and Apple devices. No issues in either getting connected.

Battery life is solid 2-3 days in both sets.
heydj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 11:23   #53
BHPian

With the lockdown need for a good WiFi to replace the free one given by airtel. Also my old acer timelinex needs to be replaced as it is being used by my son for online classes and the camera and microphone is not working. A good chair is also needed.
Old 28th April 2020, 11:58   #54
Team-BHP Support

Contrary to views of others, as days are progressing, I am trying to find things I don't need any longer and can give to others or sell. Over the past many Years, had accumulated a lot of things which serves no or little purpose now.

Another wish is to travel a lot, I mean a lot. Don't know if this is because of the number of travelogue's I see here or just the effects of Lockdown, it will be a good idea to visit as many places as possible. I am sure it will be cheaper too.

And, last, as pointed out by Mr. V. Narayan, everyone should keep a portion of their earnings for the needy. Even small amounts can help needy people.
Turbanator is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 12:03   #55
BHPian

[*]As few folks already mentioned, comfortably going to a saloon (could be the next door barber shop or a high end saloon/parlor) is going to be some way. Which means a hair trimmer (or to be more generic, a hair cutting kit of some form) will be something that a lot of people will buy.

Any recommendations for a good hair cutting kit for in house use?
envyravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 14:13   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
What's the first thing you'll buy after the lockdown ends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by envyravi View Post
[*]As few folks already mentioned, comfortably going to a saloon (could be the next door barber shop or a high end saloon/parlor) is going to be some way. Which means a hair trimmer (or to be more generic, a hair cutting kit of some form) will be something that a lot of people will buy.

Any recommendations for a good hair cutting kit for in house use?

I bought a Syska electric cordless mens 'pro styling' grooming kit - my DIY Mini Lawn Mower - a week ago from flipkart. It has several attachments including a shaver and trimmer and all. And costs around 1500 Rupees. It was delivered the very next day since beauty and grooming fall under 'essentials' as per flipkart.
It has several settings and has done a good job of a crew cut in my case. Anyway I wear my hair very short and usually have a haircut every 20 days. With this 40 - 45 odd day lockdown I was beginning to resemble a large furry grizzly bear. Hence I bit the bullet and bought this. My personal preference is always the Rather militaristic sort of buzz cut if you will. So this machine worked perfectly for me.
There are other machines available for this purpose and some may cost even upto 10000 rupees.
Whichever machine you buy you will need to be careful to keep looking at the mirror as you progress on the DIY lawn mowing activity and you will absolutely have to enlist reasonably competent help to handle the rear side of your head.
What's the first thing you'll buy after the lockdown ends?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1588063200.565543.jpg

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th April 2020 at 14:16.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 15:08   #57
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

A proper office chair, this lockdown has got me unprepared to work from home completely. Have a decent table but managing currently with a dining chair. Got to invest in a good office chair as the work from home trend is here to stay in the near future.
Striker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 15:09   #58
Senior - BHPian

I had bought a Remington hair trimmer with lots of attachments last year from US. Have been using it now for self and Son.

It comes with comb, clips, scissors and different hair length attachments. Helps with the beard I have been growing too

I have no plans to buy anything special after the lockdown ends. Hope everyone comes out of this in good health.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 15:47   #59

As soon as the lockdown is lifted am planning to drive down to Gurgaon city and stock up on Dog Food and Meat for both the doggies and us. We have 4 dogs and feeding them is a challenge with the fear of the lockdown extending.
We are located in a small village near Gurgaon. The lockdown has affected our access routes to the city.

Second time on my wishlist is yeast. Loads of time to experiment with food, make our own wine . Sadly with no yeast in the house, we will have to wait till the lockdown lifts up to make wine.

Dont feel the need to buy anything more.
Tranz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 17:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

Corona has had a very profound and humbling effect on me. I don't intend on buying anything. Finances are comfortable, but if the Lock Down extends into a few months then what?? I just pray to God Almighty to keep my family and me healthy and sane in these trying times.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks