Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2020, 11:29   #31
BHPian

Re: RIP Irrfan Khan

Deeply saddened. Rest in peace, legends.
RIP Irrfan Khan-screenshot_2020043011284136.jpg
boniver is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 12:05   #32
BHPian

He was an embodiment of a pure and gracious soul. An actor of another kind, one that never stuck to glitz or glamour. He had the finesse and refinement of a true human being, one that you could relate to the real world.
Stellar performances, acting that was real. A true gem of a human being, gone way too soon.
Life of Pi, Piku, Hindi medium, Angrezi medium and lunch box are some of the notable and classic movies of real life portrayals. Rest in Peace Irrfan ji, we sure know that you are in a better place, devoid of all suffering. Om Shanti.
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 12:29   #33
BHPian

This sad news for some reason feels so personal and painful. Om Shanti !
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 12:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

The finest of his generation barring none. What an artist.

Gone to soon Mr Khan. Your craft will be deeply missed

Rest in Paradise.

Last edited by bigron : 30th April 2020 at 12:34.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 12:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

From the many whatsapp forwards I have received this one clicked with me the most

"The journey of Irfan Khan can be summarised as the boy who could not afford to buy a ticket to watch the first Jurassic Park, to playing the owner of the last Jurassic Park. Phenomenal.”

RIP Irfan Khan. You will be dearly missed :(
SnS_12 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 14:51   #36
BHPian

Deeply saddened.

He's by far the best actor in Bollywood. He's consistently reinvented himself and pushed the boundaries. Thoroughly enjoyed his acting in Karwaan. Fitting that the last movie I saw of his had a lot to do with death. And had lots of life.
pavanmadhini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 15:48   #37
BHPian

"Dheere chalna hai mushkil toh jaldi hi sahi" two days back i was listening to this track from PIKU. I could connect mtself with the roadtrip scenes from the film. Irrfan Khan was such a joy to watch. Never imagined he would leave us so early. Heard he was suffering but never appeared to be down and out. Today his D day co-star, Rishi kapur Ji has also left for the heavenly abode. Perhaps this is how the journey called life surprises us. Like we don't kow what lies ahead after a blind turn, we never know what's in store for us tomorrow. Rest in peace legends.

RIP Irrfan Khan-irrfan.jpg
Sujoy76 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 16:03   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

A wonderful actor and one among the very few actors who was comfortable and successful across different genres-whether commercial cinema, parallel niche films, Hollywood films to name a few. Only a great actor can pull that off successfully and consistently.

Also one of the few actors who could play any kind of role and not be worried about what the audience or the fans will think. Again only a great actor can command that loyalty from the audience and fans.

I am very selective in watching hindi films, but if it was an Irfan movie, there was no seconds thoughts- Would always plan to watch it.

May his soul rest in peace.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 30th April 2020 at 16:05.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 16:56   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
"The journey of Irfan Khan can be summarised as the boy who could not afford to buy a ticket to watch the first Jurassic Park, to playing the owner of the last Jurassic Park. Phenomenal.”
It goes without saying that I respect Irrfan Khan as is evidenced by my previous post, but once again this is proof that people can make almost anything up to garner likes from Whatsapp and Facebook, just by showing inspirational "you can do anything" sloganeering.

Irrfan Khan as described by himself, grew up in a well to do Pathan family based in Rajasthan, and they had a flourishing tyre business as well (here comes the automobile connect). He opted to study theatre and drama because he was in relative comfort and had the freedom and flexibility to do so. They weren't stinking rich, but statements like he couldn't have afforded a Rs.10 or Rs.15 ticket to see Jurassic Park are absolute nonsense.

The restless teenagers are sitting as we speak concocting inspirational tales based on remotely nothing real.
dark.knight is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 20:08   #40

Irrfan Khan is the only actor on whose demise i'm really saddened. Feels like i lost someone close to me.

Sir, You left too early. Though there are so many awesome movies of yours to watch and enjoy but I believe Indian Cinema was now growing in a way in which You would have definitely shone brighter than ever.

The World of Cinema has lost a Great Actor and a Great Person.

Rest in Peace Irrfan Sir.
chheringpal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 23:38   #41
BHPian

When we were in college, Tigmanshu Dhuliya made "Haasil". Irrfan's role was show-stealer in the movie.

The dialogues in the movie were so amazing that all of our roommates use to talk in in Haasil slangs. And some of then used to act as "Ranvijay Singh".

I will close this by one of the dialogue said by saying
"Rishton me Vishwas aur mobile me balance na ho to log game khelne lag jaate hain."

(People start playing the game, if there is a lack of trust in the relationship and lack of balance in mobile" )
dicor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 00:30   #42
BHPian

My heart is saddened knowing Irrfan is no more.

I loved his style and dialogue delivery on screen when I didnt knew anything about acting. I was a kid just 11 year old in 1994 when Sanjay Khan directed serial The Great Maratha was aired on DD. Irrfan played Najib-ud-duala, the man responsible for Panipat War.

As already we are watching what was aired in history of DD; I suggest you watch some part of the above History based serial on youtube. The consistency which Irfan aka Najib had from the very beginning of his career is just unparalleled. I bet you will never rate the present movie Panipat higher than the serial!

A great personality has departed;
a loss that can never be recovered!
H Karter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 00:31   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Irrfan Khan as described by himself, grew up in a well to do Pathan family based in Rajasthan, and they had a flourishing tyre business as well

but statements like he couldn't have afforded a Rs.10 or Rs.15 ticket to see Jurassic Park are absolute nonsense.
I think I read this story few years back about him not able to buy a ticket.
It may not be in literal sense but he may have wanted to convey how low he was at that time.

These are links from BBC and another paper, but cannot taken as absolute truth.
Link1
Link2

I have read another story about him being selected to play in C K Nayudu cricket tourney but he could not afford the expenses.

Fordday.
fordday is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 05:11   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I think I read this story few years back about him not able to buy a ticket.
It may not be in literal sense but he may have wanted to convey how low he was at that time.
The only BBC link we have is the one here :

http://https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-india-43476602

Quote:
He was born Sahabzada Irfan Ali Khan on 7 January, 1967 in the Rajasthan village of Tonk.

His mother's family had a royal lineage and his father was a wealthy, self-made businessman who owned a tyre business.

Khan dropped the "Sahabzada" from his name as it pointed to his family's privileged past - he felt this would get in the way. He also changed his name from "Irfan" to "Irrfan" - not for any noble motive - but simply because he preferred the way it sounds.
Since this is mainstream BBC, it cannot be wrong as their PR team wouldn't allow misinformation to be published and his mother, who also passed away recently, is confirmed to have come from a Nawabi family, his title Sahabzade itself is no joke, it is given for a reason. Also I'd say he was clearly joking, trying to establish an exaggerated contrast between his movie character and his real self during the promo. He clearly came from well established lineage.

Last edited by dark.knight : 1st May 2020 at 05:29.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 12:20   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The restless teenagers are sitting as we speak concocting inspirational tales based on remotely nothing real.
It pains me to bring this up on this thread, but I could not help myself. I'm only referring to the statement I've quoted.

Very, very bold of you to assume that restless teenagers are sitting and weaving stories. Based on your statement (since you've absolutely pulled it out of your hat), can I assume that you belong to the same age group too? I appreciate the fact that you're trying to debunk myths, but please don't become the very monster you want to destroy.

I absolutely don't see the point of this discussion on a thread where we're mourning the death of a legend, the very best that India has ever had.
boniver is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed