Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Have you / are you going to install the Aarogya Setu app?
Yes, I already have or I will shortly 293 49.00%
No, I do not plan to 305 51.00%
Voters: 598. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 15:43   #151
AZT
BHPian

Re: The Aarogya Setu App : Yes or No?

This app is a privacy nightmare. I'll only install when I need to enter office and then remove this ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsood View Post
So did my wife who is a teacher and being asked to do so if they want their salaries credited.
This is just disgusting. How is withholding salary even legal. This made me screenshot the privacy risk shared by below user and share it with close friends & family groups asking them to remove this app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Very rightly said, Sir. By profession I am a cyber security architect with a leading US company. Before this I was a lead development engineer for a network security appliance used by fortune 100 enterprise. I also hold a US patent in data security. Why I would not like to install this app: -BJ
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 15:56   #152
BHPian

Voted 'No'

Basically two reasons:
1. I don't trust the government with such detailed personal information. Now I don't mean the current party that forms the government, I wouldn't trust any government that needs to mandate people to use such an app and give up so much information. And all that without even a promise that they'll erase this data once the pandemic is over. There aren't even specific clauses mentioned how this data will be used. The potential uses of this app are being expanded almost every other day.
2. Any app that relies on regular junta doing self declarations isn't going to fulfill its purpose in entirety.

As of now, whenever I go down for essentials, I'm acting as if I and every body else is potentially infected and that I need to take precautions accordingly to not spread it around and protect myself as well. No app needed.
MegaWhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 16:39   #153
AZT
BHPian

Came across this article which sums it up perfectly - https://www.strategic-culture.org/ne...te-celebrates/

Quote:
I realize this pandemic frightens us all and turns our lives inside out. I realize it has taken “normal,” beaten it thoroughly, changed its clothes, given it a fake mustache, and then dropped it out of a helicopter from 30,000 feet. By the end of this pandemic, “normal” will only be identifiable by dental records. But even so, we cannot give away all our rights, all our privacy under the guise of “security.”

Any salesman will tell you, one of the best tools to sell someone something they don’t need is fear. Want someone to buy the expensive car? Tell them it’s safer and ask them to picture their children in a car accident. Want someone to buy the home security? Paint a mental image of a big bad burglar stealing their entire Phil Collins vinyl collection. After 9/11 companies even sold parachutes to office workers to keep under their desk in case they needed to jump out the window. Didn’t even matter if their office was on the second floor. Can’t be too safe.

Fear makes us idiots. Fear makes us listen to the lizard brain instead of the smart guy in your head. Don’t let the oligarchs use fear to trick you into giving up what little right to privacy and freedom you have left.
AZT is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 17:22   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Came across this article which sums it up perfectly - https://www.strategic-culture.org/ne...te-celebrates/
Very interesting that the author tells us that sellers use "fear" to sell something to you, and makes use of the same "fear" technique to sell his ideas to the readers.
StarrySky is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 20:29   #155
Team-BHP Support

Forget everything about the App being secure or not.

When you are outside and at a checkpoint, the Police will ask to see the App.

If its not already installed be prepared to spend a good amount of time explaining your concerns about security, privacy and data management to the underpaid, overworked and tired Police guy.

If you can afford it get a alternate phone and use a different email id and disposable number on it.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 20:45   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Forget everything about the App being secure or not.

When you are outside and at a checkpoint, the Police will ask to see the App.

If its not already installed be prepared to spend a good amount of time explaining your concerns about security, privacy and data management to the underpaid, overworked and tired Police guy.
Isn't that the scary part.
But i see that it is being challenged in court:

Last edited by theMandarin : 7th May 2020 at 20:50.
theMandarin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 20:47   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
Absolutely bone chilling scary.

There is no denying that at all.

I am just taking the very practical path.

We can argue as much as we want but if you are someone who goes out on a regular basis and cross multiple checkposts, you better be prepared to waste a lot of time with people who may or may not be very polite.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 21:11   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
Also challenged in Kerala HC some hours back:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...nVhZ6yVnJ.html

This is getting interesting!
lapis_lazuli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 22:09   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Also challenged in Kerala HC some hours back:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...nVhZ6yVnJ.html

This is getting interesting!
In Kerala ? This would be interesting. Kerala government has already shared patient data with a US firm. Lets see what happens.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 22:48   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
In Kerala ? This would be interesting. Kerala government has already shared patient data with a US firm. Lets see what happens.
That data sharing was also challenged in court and is under consideration by court. It is posted for hearing after 3 weeks.

This petition is more about loss of personal autonomy by making the app mandatory. This is my biggest concern about the app too.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 7th May 2020 at 22:49.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 07:30   #161
Senior - BHPian

I am actually very very interested in knowing what kind of data theft or identity theft all you guys are harping about?

You location is known by a lot of apps which are under the ambit of government.
Your voice calls are tracked and are under the ambit of the government.
Your internet browser history is also under the ambit of the government through your service providers.
All you speak or type on your phone is traced by various apps and almost all are under the ambit of the government.
So your bank account details such as passwords etc. are already known to the people out there.
Cloud storage is already leaked storage as you all know from certain recent happenings.
Facebook has accepted in court that even when their app is not in use and the phone is not in use, they still have access to the microphone and camera. Search.

So what exactly is the personal detail left for anyone to loose. We're all out there as an open book. All accessible by governments of the respective countries. Sometimes even more.
If anyone denies that then they're living in a delusional world!

I don't understand what more damage can another app make.
For get all this. Your Smart TVs. Those cameras are always on!!

And all those who don't believe this, just check meetings which go on for high end corporate houses. Phone are left way way out. People are made to tape their cameras on camera phones. Laptops are ordered specially without cameras. Heck even phones are ordered without cameras.
Multi million dollar insurances are done to prevent data theft. And the insurance companies order literally military level security at such offices.

And here we are talking about Aarogya Setu and what government will do with our data. We all are not as important as we all think. Hahahaha
navpreet318 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 10:29   #162
Senior - BHPian

I came across THIS ARTICLE on how Governments are pushing Contact Tracing down our throats despite very low or even contrary evidence to demonstrate that it even works for the proposed purposes. At the same time it's immense use for fine grained surveillance cannot be discounted, and neither should it be disregarded, because though the pandemic will wane at some point, surveillance won't!
- Snowden
- Forbes

We as citizens should demand transparency and accountability from our governments.
To that effect, making the App, and the backend components Open Source would be a great trust building step.

Whoever wants to give up their privacy and subsequently freedoms easily is most welcome to; I am not!

P.S. - I don't have Facebook for 4 years now and use a constant VPN on every device I use. I know it is not perfect, but I am not going to make it easy for anyone either.

Last edited by roy_libran : 8th May 2020 at 10:37.
roy_libran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 11:05   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
This petition is more about loss of personal autonomy by making the app mandatory. This is my biggest concern about the app too.
What is there to challenge, if it is already shared ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I am actually very very interested in knowing what kind of data theft or identity theft all you guys are harping about?

You location is known by a lot of apps which are under the ambit of government.
Your voice calls are tracked and are under the ambit of the government.
Your internet browser history is also under the ambit of the government through your service providers.
All you speak or type on your phone is traced by various apps and almost all are under the ambit of the government.
So your bank account details such as passwords etc. are already known to the people out there.
Cloud storage is already leaked storage as you all know from certain recent happenings.
Facebook has accepted in court that even when their app is not in use and the phone is not in use, they still have access to the microphone and camera. Search.
You are right, I asked same thing previously, what is privacy?

You can add these to your list,
Cellphone carrier Call center executive already knows your location,
Bank personnel at the terminal knows your whole financial history.
and so many are there

Hope you all know that, your WiFi SSID is also geo-tagged through its MAC ID. So whatever device you are connecting to it also tagged to location. Its just that you and your device doesnt know it.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th May 2020 at 16:29. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 8th May 2020, 11:20   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

This guy draws a parallel between tracetogether and setu.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/coron...dles-your-data
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 14:51   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cellphone carrier Call center executive already knows your location,
Yes - has access to triangulated location for me which isn't very precise, but given that this data isn't shared freely amongst carriers, nor aggregated across operators unless on a legal order, it isn't completely possible to build a picture of who I am with at any given time.

Quote:
Bank personnel at the terminal knows your whole financial history.
Yes - Aggregates or Threshold breaches are reported to RBI, Tax authorities, Credit Reference Agencies etc., but any Tom, Dick and Harry will find it difficult to build a complete financial profile to target me unless I am extremely careless. The government still can though.

Quote:
Hope you all know that, your WiFi SSID is also geo-tagged through its MAC ID.
Yes - Although is possible to spoof.

Anyway, there are lacunae here which will prevent all this data rolling up and getting consolidated to build a very accurate and real-time profile. With this App however, except the financial side (which can always be seeded later), this picture can be built in the real time with great accuracy. At least that's how I understand things.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks