Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 13:07   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: ‘Replace China’: India looks to lure over 1,000 US businesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Again, not making a personal statement here, but GE Healthcare and Wipro GE merged in 2009. Would be good to stop spreading fake information.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...84454.ece/amp/
Sorry boss, if you accuse me of spreading fake information, it is personal. Fortunately, having parents who worked in GE, W, and WGE since the 90s, I have some knowledge of how engineering and sales were apportioned, as well as the level of involvement of Wipro, and how it declined.

I am not sure why you keep quoting some random journalists. There are enough publications who will claim the earth is flat. Let's stick to facts and competence. Just because you don't know the background of every BHPian, don't assume we are incompetent when we don't shower praise on the things you appreciate.
v1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 13:16   #92
BHPian

Ah so battle lines are drawn and the causalities would end up breathing through the ventilator which they voted for.

Bio medical instrumentation requires extensive knowledge of sensors, materials, testing procedures, algorithms , fail proof electronics all of which come through years of research and improvement. M&M does not have any of the knowledge required. What M&M is doing is trying to stitch up a product just for twitter feeds. Show me how it works in the long run and i would rest my case . Otherwise, leave out this Jingoism for a more practical and scientific approach.

I still maintain that Mahindra should stick to what they can do : Produce SUV's ( not cars). In case you want to come up with the argument that Ferrari also produced ventilators, pl have a look at their website (https://www.ferraril.it/en/company/). They have been doing it since 1960 . GM and Vantec medical collaborated for ventilator production with Vantec giving the technical expertise while GM investing only in production technologies.
srini1785 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 13:29   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I am all for "made in india " products but the device looks like car dash board from the 70's.
Quote:
Well , if that is your perspective then i respect it. I can only tell you that glorifying such Jugaads is not going to get us anywhere. Especially not in the field of medical instrumentation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Wannabe ventilator manufacturers all over the world are suddenly facing a reality check.
It is to be used only in case of an emergency during this pandemic, when all our high end venti's are already being used and the patients requiring venti's outnumber them.

If the Indian Railways built isolation wards from train coaches and Maharashtra uses Wankhede Stadium to house patients, it does not mean that Railways and Maharashtra will now start hospitals in them after the pandemic, neither can you label them as wannabe hospital owners nor can you outright reject their utility for lack of proper aesthetics. It is just part of capacity augmentation and preparing for the worst case scenario.

No Doctor or Institution will use it without it getting prior approval and certification from a competent government authority. So it will be tested for critical parameters and all necessary modifications made before being allowed near patients.

In a pandemic, all you will see are devices with preference to function over form. These may not be perfect and as elegant looking as devices costing well more than a million bucks but it may prove priceless for the person who may be saved by it.

Consider this, If a patient is sinking for the lack of a ventilator and this emergency ventilator is lying around in your ICU, you will only weigh the Risk-Benefit component and not consider its paint job or brand value or plastic quality.

Indian Doctors anyway work in a lot less luxury and a lot more jugaad in Medicine. Visit a government medical college ward and you will see.
nasa_hubble is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 13:40   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, please, let's not doubt each other's motives for either questioning or praising a product.

It is obviously awesome that we are taking steps towards becoming self-reliant. I think all of us have been and will continue to be be proud of successful Indian products and ingenuity. But at the same time, it makes sense to see if the particular product is really the first stage in the long process towards becoming a truly usable one or if it is meant to just be an exercise in PR. That happens far too often too. All over the world, not just in our country.

In this particular case, the company themselves have disclosed that there is no demand for them and they probably will not leave the factory.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...3.cms?from=mdr

So I think some skepticism is warranted in this particular case. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by am1m : 20th May 2020 at 13:45.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 21:28   #95
BHPian

India becomes world's second largest manufacturer of PPE body coveralls: Centre

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/75871010.cms
nasa_hubble is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 22:09   #96
Senior - BHPian

This thread is about "luring 1000 US businesses from China to India".

That has gone down the tubes with Trump's call to the Indonesian president asking him to host the US companies relocating from China.

Hence this thread has lost its relevance.

It now seems to be on the lines of trying to close a stable door after the horse has bolted or building a new stable for when the horse comes back.

Either way this thread has run its course and it's time to close it.

Last edited by AMG Power : 21st May 2020 at 22:14.
AMG Power is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 01:11   #97
BHPian

The recent discussion about self-reliance, is in line with the mod note on post #69, which mentions the following:

Quote:
Mod Note: Please restrict the debate to how one can make oneself self-reliant.
I think it is a good idea to let this thread continue. This thread may serve as a log to look back at the progress made. Things when conceptualized may not resonate with everybody initially, neither are they always executed as planned.

We do not know what the future holds, but if this thread continues today, we rid ourselves of hindsight bias in the future.
Old 25th May 2020, 11:18   #98
BHPian

The government should immediately make a rule stating the Country of Manufacture

- should be prominently made visible in all products.
- should be prominent in the first page search results of all e-commerce platforms. E-Commerce platforms can also make it part of their filters

In case of composite products, a formula can be worked out with industry bodies how to arrive at (e.g a weighted %) a Country of Manufacture.

ps - This thought came to me as I am looking for a table fan/pedestal fan and it is very difficult to search a "Made-in-India" product (even Indian brands like USHA are Made in you-know-where).
Old 25th May 2020, 12:04   #99
BHPian

Government selects 10 Indian companies to develop Desi Zoom ..

Pl note : Grant size is limited to 5L for prototype. So, GOI is dead serious about "Vocal for local".
srini1785 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 12:32   #100
Senior - BHPian

^^^
As long as it does not become 'you have to use one of these'.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 12:54   #101
BHPian

It's probably limited to defense and sensitive GoI meetings with all servers in India. But of course, if you are going to deal with GoI then "you have to use one of these".

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th May 2020 at 13:12. Reason: Typos.
Old 25th May 2020, 13:08   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Pl note : Grant size is limited to 5L for prototype. So, GOI is dead serious about "Vocal for local".
Haha. Great catch. This also answers any lingering questions one may have on "how are we able to make such low cost rockets and satellites!"

Pay scales have certainly improved considerably over the last decade or so. I don't know how it is these days, but earlier if there was a successful launch folks used to get bonus in the form of sweets (laddos were most common), some turkey-towels, occasionally plastic models of the rocket, and on odd occasions some monetary benefits!

Hopefully, though, the grant size scales up once it's time to go beyond the prototype. However, even with no grant size, you can expect our folks to come up with truly phenomenal solutions and products - only if politics is far removed from the development and not much importance is given to "who gets the credit!"
Old 25th May 2020, 13:23   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Government selects 10 Indian companies to develop Desi Zoom ..
Hoping that the government is planning to indigenize the end to end architecture and not only these apps. There is no point having a desi app for video conferencing if people install it on Xiaomi phones!

Last edited by warrioraks : 25th May 2020 at 13:38.
Old 25th May 2020, 13:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
That has gone down the tubes with Trump's call to the Indonesian president asking him to host the US companies relocating from China.
Companies are already moving from China. Vietnam, Malaysia and to certain extent Singapore have been beneficiaries.

But all these moves are driven just by costs. The day it becomes cheaper to automate the manufacturing process these industries will relocate back to Western world. And boy are they not working on it.

So where does that leave India?

Not in a favorable situtation. Not that it is our fault. Our labor force is not dirt cheap and ready to be exploited. And that is good in my books. I do not think that assembly jobs are the way forward for India.

We have to create value, come up with products and that is where we were, are and will still be lacking in near future.

OT: A notable deviation to this narrative is the story of Notion Ink. Do google it.

Last edited by download2live : 25th May 2020 at 13:58.
Old 28th May 2020, 13:06   #105
BHPian

Amid rising anti-China mood, local app Mitron eats into TikTok's India market in eye-popping manner

Our neighbours get a taste of their own medicine, someone created a copy of their app and took away their business

https://m.economictimes.com/tech/sof...w/76059316.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks