Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2020, 09:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?

There are lots of free and paid health apps for both Android and IOS linked with fitness trackers/watch.

Daily average BPM, Sleep BPM, calories burnt on workouts like both indoor and outdoor walking/running, cycling etc can be tracked. Some apps help us to track the category of calories we burn during a specified period like fat burn, High intensity, extreme etc.

Would be interesting to see what app the fellow TBHP'ians use. Also sharing the workout graphs on calories burnt will help others to motivate and learn.
Surprise is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 09:28   #2
BHPian

re: Which fitness tracker & app do you use?

I use Amazfit Bip tracker and MiFit app. Its the cheapest available tracker with dedicated GPS chip inside.
It can track walking, running, cycling and treadmill activities only.

I have been using it for 1 year and it's value for money. The tracking is accurate on distance aand once locked to a GPS satellite, it keeps it well.
Old 9th May 2020, 09:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

As I am not a fan of those fitness bands etc., I have mi band 2 hrx that I bought owing to curosity of having one.

I have used pacer, healthify me, mi fit and Google fit app on android.

The only app I am using consistently is the Google Fit app. Google gets all my personal data anyway so I am comfortable giving this additional data to that company only.

It is accurate in steps counting (reintroduced recently, replacing the move minutes section), counts heart points for more intense activities, distance and weight.

Healthify Me is also good app where you can input everything you ate and it lets you know the excess and deficiencies that can then be worked upon.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 10:27   #4
BHPian

I've been using Amazfit Bip Lite, the one without inbuilt GPS tracker for almost 10 months now. However, since the device can connect to the phone's GPS, I'm not missing out on the function.

Distance tracking has been accurate - I measured my running route with the trip meter on my Himalayan and it correlates well. The app I've been using is MiFit, which gives me the following information after a walk/run:
(Please click on the image for better quality)
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-sportdetails_long.jpg

I have also been using Google Fit for a month or so now. Step counting is quite accurate. However I'm not sure how useful the 'Move minutes' and 'Heart Points' are! I have not been able to connect my Amazfit device to Google Fit yet - hence I haven't been able to access heart rate data on Fit yet.
Old 9th May 2020, 11:15   #5
BHPian

I am using Amazfit, with mifit app for the last 15 months and quiet happy with its performance. It is value for money with good looks. The readings are accurate. I use it for knowing time, track workouts, sleep pattern and heart rate. The best feature is we can change the watch face by selecting from hundreds of watchfaces available on line. The battery is also good with average life of 10 days.
Old 9th May 2020, 11:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

I used to use the -
1. MI App, for various band iterations,
2. Strava, for logging my cycling efforts, and
2. Google Fit to aggregate

Since last 2 years I have stopped using any of these Apps. I still have a Fitness Tracker Band that I wear regularly and keep a daily check on my activity and vitals, but now I do not sync the data with any app.
Over the last couple of years, I have become more cautious about what all Personal and Personally identifiable data I am divulging over the internet and to service providers.
Old 9th May 2020, 12:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the activity/health app of IOS. Usually it's the calories burnt, exercise and no.of steps.

Read about the paid version of an app - "Heart" & got it installed. Tried the workout module for walking (treadmill). More I try to maintain the average BPM, tougher it was - This is turning out to a new area altogether unlike the plain version of activity/health app (in terms of activity)

Is there any recommended (minimum) duration one has to work to get the benefits of cardio work out..say at 70-80% of peak heart rate.
Attached Thumbnails
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-tbhp.jpeg  

Old 9th May 2020, 18:18   #8
BHPian

I have been using Samsung Health and very recently I explored all the features of the app. It's one of the best free fitness/health apps available on Android or iOS (comes pre-installed on Samsung phones but even iOS users can install it if they buy a samsung watch or samsung fitness band)

Samsung Health offers step tracking, sleep tracking (I don't know how it does it but it's very accurate), can measure your heart rate, your current stress level, has weight management functions built in, dynamic food/calorie tracker in which one can either input their diet manually or click pictures of the food they ate for Bixby vision to input it in Samsung Health. It also offers workout rep counter for literally a million exercises, a water & caffeine intake counter, heck it even offers a menstrual cycle tracker for women.

Other than this, it also has workout achievements, a community feature known as "Together" which compares your active hours or steps to everyone who uses the app globally. It offers compatibility with Samsung's smart watch, Fitness bands and a variety of third party fitness accessories as well. On top of all this, it also offers various programmes for fitness and meditation, all of which are FREE!
Attached Thumbnails
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-screenshot_20200509180345_samsung-health.jpg  

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-screenshot_20200509180356_samsung-health.jpg  

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-screenshot_20200509180405_samsung-health.jpg  

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-screenshot_20200509181815_samsung-health.jpg  

beemer5499 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 22:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which fitness tracker & app do you use?

I use Endomondo to track my walking & cycling activities. Find it pretty decent for my needs which are just about time and distance.

Don't use any apps for the daily 1-hour badminton - the sweat-drenched Tee is good enough.
Old 11th May 2020, 09:12   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can I be a little oldschool here? Here is what I use.

How much I weigh:
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-20200510-07.30.50.jpg

How wide my waist is (black marker used to track progress):
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-20200509-19.25.34.jpg

How much I can lift:
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-20200509-19.24.28.jpg

How much faster / longer I can run:
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-20200509-19.23.49.jpg

How much faster / longer I can cycle:
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-20200509-19.23.08.jpg

Annual health / body checkups. Sugar & blood work are twice a year:
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-20160702-09.57.48.jpg
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 12:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

Would be interesting to see what app the fellow TBHP'ians use. Also sharing the workout graphs on calories burnt will help others to motivate and learn.
This is a thread with a difference and am loving it. Not surprised though, having experienced a bit with the range of interests of petrolheads in this superb forum.

I have been using Fitbit & Nike Running apps for some time now. The Fitbit app is sort of default, due to the Fitbit Charge 2 HR which is with me for some time now (been using Charge HR before this). Have found it useful in keeping track of Steps, Heart rate, Calories burnt, Work outs, Runs / Walks details etc. The Sleep Monitor has been very useful and I have found a direct correlation with sleep quality and general well being. (The negative side of this sleep monitor, as per my better half is that I don't believe that I have had a good sleep even though I might have been snoring throughout until and unless the Fitbit app says so!!). Even monitoring the Resting Heart rate over time can indicate if something is amiss. Well, this is my observation having been using them for quite some time now.

Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-screenshot_20200511110838.png
While the Fitbit app is the default omnipresent, Nike Running Club (NRC) has been my partner in my regular runs and walks. This is also a 'free to download and use' app. This is accurate w.r.t the distances and the accuracy is directly dependent on the GPS quality which in turn is determined by the network coverage. This has a feature to add one's friends as a motivation factor for weekly and monthly comparisons.

NRC also comes with a lot of additional features like Guided Runs, Coach etc. Snapshots are attached for info.
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-screenshot_20200511105440.png
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-screenshot_20200511105453.png
In addition if one chooses, there is the Nike Fitness app which can assist in other workouts, plans etc. (Also a free to use app).

And as per request of Surprise, I am attaching a screen shot of my first 10k after the shutdown has started. Though it was a relaxed run soaking in the nice clean air, it gave me a real booster shot.
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-screenshot_20200511105148.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I use Endomondo to track my walking & cycling activities.
Had tried my hand at Endomondo sometime back. Left it after I moved on to Fitbit. But Endomondo gives me a monthly update now thanks to being linked through Fitbit. Talk about privacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can I be a little oldschool here? Here is what I use.

How much I weigh:

How wide my waist is (black marker used to track progress):

Annual health / body checkups. Sugar & blood work are twice a year:
GTO, you are bang on target, as you have subtly brought in the concepts of goals, targets and measuring indices. Weight and waist size are very important "direct feel" targets and can never replace anything of the indices given by these apps.
Whichever app one uses, regular health check ups are a must. I rely on the mandatory annual medicals which comes with my job and the free check up offered by my medical insurance policy.
bimal_67 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 14:53   #12
BHPian

I use the Honor Band 4 and Huawei health for my fitness activities since the band was released
Pro's -
1. Excellent app and excellent battery
2. Accurate step counter, HR sensor (continuous) and sleep tracking
3. Has weather data, all app/call notifications and find my phone functions
4. Has all the fitness basic modes covered. I use the free workout option for gym purposes.
5. Very bright Oled screen, good functional faces and good looks.
6. Very detailed app and stats.
7. All for 2500 INR !!

Con's -
1. The HR tracker does not track properly with gloves strapped on.
2. The Honor band 5 has many more exercise modes. faces along with SpO2 sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Which fitness tracker & app do you use?-1589188684846.jpg  

Rohit_Quad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 12:05   #13
BHPian

I am using the Runkeeper app for the past year or so. Only the free version, not the paid version. It is sufficient to track my daily walks of around 8 to 10 kms. In detail.

The app is installed in my Android phone. So, the only drawback is that I have to carry my mobile phone with the GPS activated. I do not keep the GPS activated all the time, but only switch it on when I am using the app.

I do not have any wrist trackers and am solely dependent on this app.
Old 12th May 2020, 12:42   #14
BHPian

I use the Apple Watch Series 4. Its fitness tracking is really really good!

The unfortunate thing is that it is only compatible with the iPhones. However, if you are invested in the Apple ecosystem, there is nothing else like it because of its seamless integration with their products.
NerdyMillennial is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 13:30   #15
BHPian

I am a 48 year old former gym rat who's now only into light exercise. I use a basic Huawei wrist band mainly to keep track of my walking, sleep times and quality. I also use an electronic weighing scale, and MyFitnessTracker app on Android to keep track of my food intake.

IMHO the best advice to be followed in this regard was by Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius - be conscious of your health and fitness, not obsessive.
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks