Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Are you up-skilling/re-skilling during the lockdown?
Yes 88 51.46%
No 48 28.07%
Registered for courses but did not complete 35 20.47%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2020, 14:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Upskilling during the lockdown

Have started meditating-calm and insight timer apps being very good, the latter also has a lot of free content.

I have also used the limited time-off I had (being in essential services-we are back to our usual activities since second week of janata curfew) to finish off long pending books on my to-read list.

I also went through quite a few LinkedIn courses to brush up soft skills.

Enrolled for the free course from Yale on coursera, 'the science of well-being' but haven't completed it yet!
Old 17th May 2020, 14:16   #17

I am from the hospitality background and owing to the conditions of the industry have decided to shift. Currently a business degree aspirant, so far have completed the free course from Google Analytics on marketing, have learnt the basic Adobe suites viz. Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere and used the gained skills to help market some local businesses in my area amid the lockdown.
I am also helping my sister who sings help setup a YouTube channel of hers(Premiere helps here)
I am currently learning tools like Python, R and advanced Excel to aid my skills in data analytics and projection. I have also enrolled in a few professional development courses on Coursera and edX to make me help understand the business side of things.
I used to love painting and sketching when I was young, post college I had given up that habit of mine, so the lockdown has helped me pick up the brush again!
One skill that I have absolutely failed to inculcate is to control my diet which is all haywire and I might emerge from the lockdown looking like "Bibendum"-the Michelin Man.

P.S. if any knowledgeable BHPians could advise me what extra I skills I could hone to help me gear up for my MBA semester, would be extremely helpful
Old 17th May 2020, 15:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourishganguly View Post
advise me what extra I skills I could hone to help me gear up for my MBA semester
Man, you are being way too hard on your self! I think you should just step back a little, breathe easy, and spend some time planning -

Quote:
If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes thinking about the problem and five minutes thinking about solutions
Quote:
If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend the first six of them sharpening my axe
One from Einstein and another from Lincoln - two of my favorites!

I am not an MBA so will keep away from any conversations on those points. Also, I don't know how you are spacing all these activities, but appears to me you might killing yourself more than enjoying the process.

Python and R - My suggestion would be pick one. Preferably Python - quite an easy one. Learn it exceedingly well. Depending on your background you might be able to master it in a month or so.

Once you've mastered one language, you can pick up pretty much any other language at your whim and fancy and toy with it. The mastery (in one) will teach you to ask the right questions to enable you working efficiently in any other language you choose.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 15:11   #19
BHPian

I already started investing in stock market last year. But i started upskilling myself during this lockdown in FnO trading. Though it could be beginner’s luck as well but i am already richer by 70000 bucks in just 12 trading sessions of day trading. I turned to Zerodha’s varsity, expert lectures on youtube and a couple of books on trading strategies.
bmw_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 16:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Man, you are being way too hard on your self! I think you should just step back a little, breathe easy, and spend some time planning -

Also, I don't know how you are spacing all these activities, but appears to me you might killing yourself more than enjoying the process.
I understand your concerns, but I already had basic knowledge of a lot of stuff that I mentioned, so it basically is brushing the dust off. It also includes stuff I have planned ahead. Courses I have chosen are usually in the audit mode(too broke to pay for each certificate ) and a couple of hours each day is all the investment they require. I've been sitting home since Mid February now, and hence have the luxury of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post

Python and R - My suggestion would be pick one. Preferably Python - quite an easy one. Learn it exceedingly well. Depending on your background you might be able to master it in a month or so.

Once you've mastered one language, you can pick up pretty much any other language at your whim and fancy and toy with it. The mastery (in one) will teach you to ask the right questions to enable you working efficiently in any other language you choose.
Thanks a ton, I am currently doing Python and have heard R is pretty easy once you know Python, I already have basic knowledge of C++/Java.
Old 17th May 2020, 16:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_lover View Post
I already started investing in stock market last year. But i started upskilling myself during this lockdown in FnO trading. Though it could be beginner’s luck as well but i am already richer by 70000 bucks in just 12 trading sessions of day trading. I turned to Zerodha’s varsity, expert lectures on Youtube and a couple of books on trading strategies.
This is great! I've been wanting to get into stock markets and FnO trading to get some small profits. If you don't mind, can you post the resources that you had used to lear stocks and FnO trading etc.?
Old 17th May 2020, 18:19   #22
BHPian

With my job I never got time to start preparing for higher education after Engineering. I have started my GMAT prep via E Gmat online module and aim to apply for 1 year full time MBA in IIM's/ISB for coming year ( via a good Gmat score )

To take break from studies , I have subscribed to MKJ on youtube . An older gentleman who talks funny but is spot on in his core message about share trading / Investing. During this lockdown I became his member and started trading/investing via Zerodha .
Yet to get into FnO.
Old 17th May 2020, 18:26   #23
BHPian

Meanwhile, the cement industry continues to work in the era it was discovered

Though its a very traditional industry, I have moved into the role of driving the digital projects. So I am upskilling myself in data analytics (more from the translation side). And there a number of people-oriented courses I am undertaking.
Old 17th May 2020, 19:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
With my job I never got time to start preparing for higher education after Engineering. I have started my GMAT prep via E Gmat online module and aim to apply for 1 year full time MBA in IIM's/ISB for coming year ( via a good Gmat score )

To take break from studies , I have subscribed to MKJ on Youtube . An older gentleman who talks funny but is spot on in his core message about share trading / Investing. During this lockdown I became his member and started trading/investing via Zerodha .
Yet to get into FnO.
Awesome! I watch his analysis too end of day. Did you see any value in becoming a member and trading based on his analysis? Please do share your experience.

Also, I have always wanted to study further but could not take a break from work. I finally mustered the courage and signed up for a 2 year online MBA. Hopefully will have my Post Graduation in Global MBA by 2022.

Last edited by Darth_Vader : 17th May 2020 at 19:25. Reason: added to the topic.
Darth_Vader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 20:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Vader View Post
Awesome! I watch his analysis too end of day. Did you see any value in becoming a member and trading based on his analysis? Please do share your experience.

Also, I have always wanted to study further but could not take a break from work. I finally mustered the courage and signed up for a 2 year online MBA. Hopefully will have my Post Graduation in Global MBA by 2022.
Hardly any cost of Rs 160 a month of one of his membership. Good thing is that he shares all screenshots of his trades. Disadvantage is that he has put all his buying on hold till NIFTY comes at 8000 or lower. Which we all know is taking its own time. So I have not got a chance to replicate what he trades till now.

Regarding an MBA, I have not opted for online MBA since I had requirement of a recruitment post MBA. Post Engineering from VIT vellore , got into the first job I could get . After working for close to 5 years with a current CTC of 15-16 Lacs in a big /kind of safe organisation, am desperately looking for a change, more in search of a work which I will kind of like to do.

The only option that sprang to my mind is the 1 year MBA from these top Indian institutes post GMAT (CAT seemed too competitive to crack and foreign universities too expensive) so chose this path around 4-5 months back. However, this lockdown gave me the first opportunity to spend hours studying.

Any guidance from experienced people on my chosen way ahead in career will be most helpful.
WanderinNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 04:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Any suggestions on which foreign language to start learning which may be useful in future. May be 10-20 years down the line. I am keen on learning one. Should it be ubiquitous French or difficults like German, Arabic, Mandarin or relatively easier Spanish or something else? Please provide your thoughts. TIA.
German is not that hard by the way. I'd say French is the harder of the two!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 11:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Regarding an MBA, I have not opted for online MBA since I had requirement of a recruitment post MBA. Post Engineering from VIT vellore , got into the first job I could get . After working for close to 5 years with a current CTC of 15-16 Lacs in a big /kind of safe organisation, am desperately looking for a change, more in search of a work which I will kind of like to do.

Any guidance from experienced people on my chosen way ahead in career will be most helpful.
If you are looking to change the domain in which you have been working, it will be very challenging to do so. I only know of a couple of classmates who were able to do so. It is more a function of the available openings during the year you graduate. A change in role is possible within the same domain only.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 19:11   #28
BHPian

This lockdown gave me some more time to spend with my family. I learned and am enjoying parenting a lot.
This is the best skill I added to bucket till today
Old 19th May 2020, 01:14   #29

I did not vote in the poll. I understand this is the perfect time to upskill. But to the readers out there, please be aware of toxic productivity too.

There are tons of people learning new things and up-skilling but understand that it is completely okay to take a break as well. The future does indeed looks bleak but there is indeed a future regardless. To the people reading this, understand that there are many people who aren't doing anything particularly productive. I know people who are just focused on spending time with their family or catching up on gaming because they've been burnt out from work.

So, don't go all out and just start doing something because everyone else is doing the same. Take a deep breath, reflect on your life, learn or do what you always wanted to. If not, that's completely fine too. We are all in this to survive for now, the time to thrive will come sooner to later
arzanali is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 20:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Any suggestions on which foreign language to start learning which may be useful in future. May be 10-20 years down the line. I am keen on learning one. Should it be ubiquitous French or difficults like German, Arabic, Mandarin or relatively easier Spanish or something else? Please provide your thoughts. TIA.
Arabic is a fairly easy language relative to the others you've listed. It writes like urdu and has alot in common from hindi, urdu and persian which would give you better insight into our own cultures. I learnt it (for the most part) by reading arabic subtitles in hollywood movies back when i stayed in Saudi arabia.
Taha Mir is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed