Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Are you up-skilling/re-skilling during the lockdown?
Yes 88 51.46%
No 48 28.07%
Registered for courses but did not complete 35 20.47%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 12:28   #1
BHPian

Upskilling during the lockdown

The series of lockdowns have been unprecedented and have brought their share of pros and cons and fortunes and miseries. One aspect however, has been the possibility of taking up tasks that many had put on the back burner for a while, especially for the salaried class, but not restricted to them.

One of these tasks has been to upskill or reskill - learn something new to stay relevant to current jobs, or something altogether different to change career paths, enter the job market, enhance business opportunities or create a second revenue stream.

To make the most of this time, many online learning websites have provided sharp discounts and some publishing houses have made a few books accessible to all at no cost as well.

Posting this poll to gauge how many of us have taken up learning during the lockdown.
MegaWhat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 12:52   #2
BHPian

Re: Upskilling during the lockdown

If cooking and cleaning are considered skills in your opinion, I have been having a good go at both. Overall my free time has reduced since WFH usually takes the same amount of time and the chores eat up into my free time.
Tapish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 13:16   #3
BHPian

Any suggestions on which foreign language to start learning which may be useful in future. May be 10-20 years down the line. I am keen on learning one. Should it be ubiquitous French or difficults like German, Arabic, Mandarin or relatively easier Spanish or something else? Please provide your thoughts. TIA.
Old 12th May 2020, 13:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been WFH from last 2 years, so this was nothing new on work front for me. I have definitely picked up brooming, dishwashing and cooking skills. On the contrary lockdown has been more straining since the above had to be done along with work, which alsoincreased marginally.
AtheK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 13:55   #5
BHPian

I have not voted (yet), mainly because this is something I do all the time anyways - lockdown or no lockdown!

I am a very regular at Coursera and edX. Occasionally peering into other portals as well to see if there is something of my interest / value. I am ok with spending $60 - 100 for certifications and do get about two per year on the average while auditing (for free) quite a few courses.

Of all the courses I have attended or registered for, there has been only one course that I did not complete - that was $60 wasted owing to a rush of other commitments (personal and professional).

Most of the learning/skilling I do is out of joy for learning and not really keeping in mind the job-market! That's how I've learned ML over the last 8-12 months. I have also sat through courses on applied math, stats, data analytics, etc - but did not really learn anything substantial that most of us may not already know.
Miyata is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 14:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

While I'm not taking any structured courses, I do occasionally watch youtube tutorials for new skills that I need to quickly familairize myself with (eg. MySQL).

In addition to that, god bless Stack Overflow! My browser history shows that I've visited 325 SO pages during the lockdown. And I'm sure 80+% of those pages answered the question I had.
Rehaan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 19:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

I learnt how to do some basic soldering and also improved my spray painting and sanding techniques
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 22:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I have been WFH from last 2 years, so this was nothing new on work front for me. I have definitely picked up brooming, dishwashing and cooking skills. On the contrary lockdown has been more straining since the above had to be done along with work, which alsoincreased marginally.
Except for the 2 years WFH, I'm in the same boat here. I did register for a few courses but managed to complete only those that were less time intensive. The rest of the time goes on household chores if not on work. Whatever time remains goes in eating. Only now have I realised how much I eat!
Old 13th May 2020, 08:27   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not upskilling on the professional front, but I am on the personal front. Have started meditating (using this app) and by God, it is truly a life-changing experience. Am experiencing levels of consciousness never / rarely seen before, it's greatly helping maintain focus on even hard work days and I'm overall thinking better + clearer + even more positive.

Developing meditation as a skill for life .
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 10:51   #10
BHPian

I have been thinking of a personal project for a long time, and now finally I have got some time. I should be able to complete in a week or two
Old 17th May 2020, 11:25   #11
BHPian

Voted - No. I am working up to 12 hours now. 9AM-9PM. After that friendly calls from business collegues! :-).
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 11:28   #12
BHPian

The first one month of lockdown went by with me just lazing around and binge watching The Grand Tour.
Then started to attend a few medical conferences for medicos which have sprung up quite a bit now.

And then realised I still had a lot of time left. Being a huge fan of the 70's and 80's rock music scene, I decided to brush up on my Guitar skills and have started to practice everyday.
Upskilling during the lockdown-screenshot_20200517111402_1589694413884.png

And then, again realised I still had some time left. Noting that my weight put me on the wrong side of my ideal BMI range, decided to start doing some home workouts.

Overall, my time at home wasn't a complete fiasco but still hope that this issue gets sorted out soon, as it's becoming increasingly frustrating to be unable to go to college or for drives.
dr_davis97 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 12:12   #13
BHPian

Completed a certification course of 'Search Inside Yourself' on leadership, and am currently in the process of attending the 'Fundamentals of digital marketing' on the google university. SIY was six weeks, and was instructor interfacing. The google course is self paced and online, tutorial driven.
sam_babushka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 12:49   #14
BHPian

Voted for YES. Our company arranges for webinars of different OEM vendors around the world on a regular basis and we get to learn a lot from them. On a personal front i am doing some household chores which i hardly did before. I thought i will try my hand at cooking but am yet to start it.
Old 17th May 2020, 13:09   #15
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Luckily for me, the lockdown has coincided with some very interesting technical work and have learned a significant amount of new technologies in quick time on the job, including some that I hadn't heard or read about earlier!
For a business application we're building, I had to do some user profile and email management work. Did some reading and found that the Microsoft Graph API is a good bet. While at it, also forayed into Azure app services, Azure Dev ops, service bus, Azure active directory, Sharepoint development using CSOM, Sharepoint REST API, Microsoft Graph API for Sharepoint, Power Automate (formerly Flow) and Power Apps eventually covering a lot of ground in the Office 365 application development space - all in a tad over 2 months

Last edited by NPV : 17th May 2020 at 13:12.

Most Viewed