Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2020, 10:07   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Which city should I move to - Kochi or Trivandrum? EDIT: Bangalore it is!

There are plenty of NCR registered cars in Bangalore. There should not be any problem using here, but Karnataka Govt. and traffic police are very unpredictable. Out of state registered cars are their first target during routine checks and are seen as a source of money (bribe).
It is ok if you are planning to reregister here. I would suggest getting a car in Bangalore and sell it when you leave. Learn little bit Kannada and you are good to go.

Try to rent a place closer to your office to beat the traffic. Rent may be high but you save fuel cost and time.

Last edited by Latheesh : 9th June 2020 at 10:14.
Old 9th June 2020, 10:27   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
There are plenty of NCR registered cars in Bangalore. There should not be any problem using here, but Karnataka Govt. and traffic police are very unpredictable. Out of state registered cars are their first target during routine checks and are seen as a source of money (bribe).
It is ok if you are planning to reregister here. I would suggest getting a car in Bangalore and sell it when you leave. Learn little bit Kannada and you are good to go.

Try to rent a place closer to your office to beat the traffic. Rent may be high but you save fuel cost and time.
Thanks Latheesh. I was planning to pay the road tax (but not re-register the car). Was thinking about diesel cars from NCR as the deals tend to be appealing for anything older than 5 years. Your suggestion to buy it from Bangalore makes sense.

On learning some Kannada - absolutely!
Old 9th June 2020, 10:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

I currently stay in South Delhi, office in Gurgaon. I shifted to Delhi from Bangalore a little less than 2 years back. Since my team is spread around Kochi and Trivandram, I travel to both places quite regularly and interact with people from these places everyday.

So if given a choice between the 3, Bangalore anyday. Like others mentioned the trick is to take a house near office. I had taken a house which was 1.5 kms from my wife's office and mine was 4 kms. We both are in the same organization, however different buildings. Pollution is there mainly due to Metro construction in some areas, however overall much less than Delhi. I used to stay in Whitefield, my best friends were Teambhpians. One of them even shifted to my apartment so we can chat over tea at an Udupi next door everyday. They are still my closest pals. Bangalore is all about timing. You leave at 8AM roads are fairly empty. You leave home at 820 AM, you add 30-40 mins to your commute. For a north indian, food will be an issue and getting maids speaking Hindi. I didnt know a word of Kannada and I survived pretty well. Lots of places to hang around and weekend drives. I always had WB cars and I never faced any issues specially thanks to Mr. Waseem. I even sold WB cars in Bangalore. I had registered one as well before selling, and it's a pretty smooth process as long as you have a good agent and a valid NOC. If you are paying tax, I would suggest register as well, the biggest benefit being you will become the first owner on paper. Add to all this, if you are an enthusiast, lots of tuners in Bangalore.

Kochi and Trivandrum I love because of the food scene. I get down from the flight and straight to Paragon Restaurant. Cost of living is much lower than Bangalore or Delhi however much laid back as well. The cafe and pub culture is not that prevalent so you may wonder what to do during weekends. People normally prefer talking in Malayalam, even in office, so language can be a barrier in few occasions. Weather will be humid, so be ready to perspire a bit more than now. If you can overcome all this, it's a great place. Work culture is much better.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 9th June 2020 at 10:55.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 11:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Another question for fellow Bhpians - I am thinking of buying a diesel car in NCR (6 to 7) years old and then move it to Bangalore with me.
If you plan to stay in Bangalore for long, the DL number plate would be an issue. While the booking of out-of-state vehicles is not happening in the manner it was a year ago, it is still an issue and you might be stopped more frequently than a KA vehicle. And if you end up paying KA road tax, you lose the cost benefit.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks