Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2020, 22:07   #46
BHPian

Re: Post-Lockdown Bucket List - What are you looking forward to doing?

1) Buy a good ergonomic chair - even if the lockdown is lifted, I'll be working from home for some more time and this is one thing that I and my back have sorely missed during this lockdown period.

2) A day long outing with the family. Carry some homemade food, drive through some hills, watch the sunset on a beach and head back home.

3) A long ride on my Dominar, it's the longest I have ever parked my bike without riding it.

4) Buy some dumbbells, resistance bands for working out at home.
Old 30th May 2020, 07:19   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Friend: What is it about you and monsoon drives?
Me: It’s an emotion, it cannot be explained with words. Join me the next time and I will help you experience it 😊

Somewhere in Malenadu
Post-Lockdown Bucket List - What are you looking forward to doing?-r3.jpg

Water is the elixir of life and if you really want to see for yourself what it can do, do this simple experiment. Visit a place just before summer starts and then visit the same place during the monsoon. You will feel the difference! Do note the choice of words. It is not just about seeing the sights as you drive by in your air-conditioned cocoon. Its all about stepping out, getting wet and soaking in the effervescent joy of things coming back to life.

We are lucky to be living in a geography-climate where we get to experience the simple joy of walking in the rain. I have always been a pluviophile, even when I didn’t know about the existence of this word. When I was young, I have spent many a day cycling in the rain and feeling content. The joy of watching your cycle wheel churn through puddles, the thrill of speeding through a turn in a downpour, peace and calm that you experience when you lazily drive around with your face turned up to the sky. Given a chance, I would exchange a lot of money for the opportunity to go back in time and experience this simple joy all over again!

In some ways, the emotion associated with rains is an oxymoron. On one hand I yearn for the different beats of rain: a) hesitant first drops, only an introduction that tentatively breaks through the wind. b) steady pitter patter that resonates with the rhythm of your heartbeat. c) crescendo of the downpour that pulls you away from everything else and makes you step into the rain. On the other hand, all you want is the peace and quiet that flows through you as you listen to the beats of rain and sip on hot coffee.

En-route mallalli falls
Post-Lockdown Bucket List - What are you looking forward to doing?-t4.jpg

Over the last 5-6 years, I managed to rediscover some parts of this emotion that I associate with rains. I have managed to take time off and drive through various parts of Karnataka, searching for that elusive peace and quiet. Memories of these drives are very distinct and stand out among all other experiences, not just for me but also my family. Walking through muddy trails to get to a roaring waterfall, driving through almost fluorescent green fields, walking across mossy bridges dripping wet, driving through a puddle time and again to get that perfect picture, staring at undulating hills of green that mesmerize you, walking through clouds and getting goose bumps and so many other unique experiences.

I definitely plan to drive through the ghats of KA this monsoon season as well, taking all precautions necessary to keep Covid at bay.

Are you planning a monsoon drive this year?

Jog Falls in all its glory
Post-Lockdown Bucket List - What are you looking forward to doing?-j3.jpg

P:S - Sometimes I did wonder, why something as simple as rain generates such strong emotions. Over the years I did try and explore various theories and explanations, and one that resonates (for me, might not be conclusively proven etc.) is Attention Restoration Theory (ART), developed by Stephen and Rachel Kaplan in the early 1990s. ART explores the positive impact of exposure to nature on our ability to focus and concentrate. After reading through it, it makes complete sense if I consider anecdotal experiences.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 08:40   #48
Senior - BHPian

Well said. I echo your sentiments being a Pluviophile myself. There was this movie about people chasing typhoons, but I go after the rains. Karnataka and Kerala is 'set up' by god for people to enjoy these showers. In fact there is this app 'Calm' where you can hear the rain and it soothes your mind gently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Friend: What is it about you and monsoon drives? Me: It’s an emotion
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 17:30   #49

GO HOME!

Planning for a road trip from Current Location - Chennai to Home in Mumbai. With an excuse of not travelling through Flights and the approaching Monsoon season, a long drive would be blissfully perfect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks