Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2020, 10:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan

Kolkata Airport closed overnight after hangars collapse and airport flooded due to Cyclone.
Attached Thumbnails
India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-cal.jpg  

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-cal1.jpg  

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-cal3.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 11:25   #17
BHPian

Really gruesome tragedy. I felt sad because of some personal property loss, but the images have reminded me that I am still privileged and capable enough to bounce back, which might not be the same for many others. I chanted "Go Corona Go" but did not ever realize that it will disappear only for 2 days from our minds causing more severe pain.

Disclaimer : The following have been received via WhatsApp. Reported to be in Maniktale/Kakurgachi area. The third pic is of the surreal-looking Victoria Memorial.
India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-whatsapp-image-20200521-7.45.10-am-1.jpeg
India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-whatsapp-image-20200521-7.45.10-am.jpeg
India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-whatsapp-image-20200521-8.21.26-am.jpeg

Last edited by sharktale : 21st May 2020 at 11:28.
sharktale is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 12:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Wonder what the (electric) power situation is in Kolkata at this time of the cyclone.

What I recollect from my visits to the city is something incredibly unlike Bangalore - While in Bangalore the power gets cut even with so much as a whiff of rain in the horizon, not so in Kolkata. Rains may be pouring down wildly in Kolkata, the power is hardly interrupted.
Power cuts and shortage of power supply, which is now a norm in Bangalore, is more or less a big rarity in the Kolkata of today. I feel so good about such improvements in Kolkata, since when I was growing up, power cuts in summer used to be the norm in that city. The Kolkata of today is far removed from the Kolkata of 25-30 years back, and in a good way.

Whenever I go home to Kolkata from my workplace i.e. Bangalore, I am amazed at the progress that the city has made over the years in terms of infrastructure - especially power and road infrastructure, in which areas Bangalore is absolutely pathetic.
arindambasu13 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 15:38   #19
BHPian

I have had first hand experience of the destructive power of one of the severest cyclones viz Hudhud of 2014. Due to that experience I have been tracking cyclones, their effects and our response.

I have to state that NDRF has really been doing their job to prepare the population prior to the cyclone and thereafter in assisting to put their lives back on track. Have seen their wonderful on-the-ground work. The coordination between state agencies and NDRF also has been seamless of late.
bimal_67 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 16:24   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
My poor car.. ... Any idea how much damage to expect?
With water half-way up the wheels... I suspect very little damage will have been caused. It probably entered the cabin, and biggest job would be interior cleaning.

Do not make any attempt to start the engine until you are sure no water has entered. How to be sure? I don't know and ask that someone can post that advice please.
Old 22nd May 2020, 00:33   #21
BHPian

I am associated with electricity services and was on duty yesterday when the storm hit Kolkata. It was a dreadful experience for us. There were cascaded trippings everywhere and managing things were next to impossible. Most of the city was in dark and some parts are dark even now. The parts of the city where overhead network is predominant have suffered the most. Supply is being restored gradually but it will take some time considering the extent of damage.
Fordlover88 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 00:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Nope, that's a transformer bursting near Anwar Shah Road close to my home. Power is still out after 30+ hours. Water for drinking is running out as pumps are not running. Unable to reach the CESC or Lal Bazar control room helplines. Have two senior citizens who are ill and their medicines are getting spoiled because the refrigerator is not working.

Staggering amount of destruction and trees have fallen all over - a lot of them because their roots would have been weakened due to the concretization of all pavements.

Administration in my area is not visible at all. This is a very large scale disaster. Bracing for tough times.
digitalnirvana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 00:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

In Mumbai, it is 100% underground cabling, so power is never ever shutdown even in very severe storms.

Dunno about Kolkata. Being British planned originally like Mumbai, I thought even Kolkata might be similar.
Central Kolkata (British era Kolkata) have underground cable network while greater/suburban Kolkata have mostly overhead network. The places with overhead network have suffered the most due to the storm and are in dark even now also.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:15   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

This was bad. The worst storm I have ever seen in my life till date. Sharing few pics and video's clicked my me.

Amphan at 4 pm from Hooghly Dist (Uttarpara), WB.

Amphan at 5-30 pm from Hooghly Dist (Uttarpara), WB.

Amphan at 7-45 pm from Hooghly Dist (Uttarpara), WB.

Few pics I took, yesterday from my home -

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2270.jpg

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2288.jpg

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2291.jpg

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2296.jpg

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2300.jpg

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2308.jpg

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2314.jpg

Clicked at midnight when the whole electricty in our area was off.

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2320.jpg

Around Uttarpara

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2321.jpg

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2323.jpg

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2324.jpg

At Singur

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img_2346.jpg

Have few video clips from my car's dashcam, when I went out today to see the situation around. Will upload that clip once I download it from the Dashcam.

Last edited by Samba : 22nd May 2020 at 02:19.
Samba is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
This was bad. The worst storm I have ever seen in my life till date. Sharing few pics and video's clicked my me.
I was waiting for your comment, saw some of your videos yesterday on your channel. My God, what a devastation. I hope your Etios and Duster are fine.

I guess a lot of vehicles would be affected directly or indirectly. Already many car batteries are down due to Covid - lockdown. And now flooding + resting in moist environment is only going to make things worse.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 22nd May 2020 at 02:45.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:51   #26
BHPian

The experience of UM-PAN was horrifying.

May Good God take care of all the people who got affected by this Cyclone.

A small video from my end :

SouraC is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:50   #27
BHPian

Attaching a few pictures of our society at the aftermath of this cyclone. Situation is very grim out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Unable to reach the CESC or Lal Bazar control room helplines. Have two senior citizens who are ill and their medicines are getting spoiled because the refrigerator is not working.
CESC Helpline is down due to huge volume of calls. Your area has lots of trees uprooted on electric poles. That's why restoration is taking so long. But our LT overhead gangs are working day and night to restore power as soon as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img20200522wa0019.jpg  

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img20200522wa0018.jpg  

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img20200522wa0017.jpg  

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img20200522wa0016.jpg  

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img20200522wa0015.jpg  

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img20200522wa0014.jpg  

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img20200522wa0013.jpg  

India braces for 'super cyclone' Amphan-img20200522wa0012.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd May 2020 at 13:42. Reason: As requested.
Fordlover88 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 14:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
With water half-way up the wheels... I suspect very little damage will have been caused. It probably entered the cabin, and biggest job would be interior cleaning.

Do not make any attempt to start the engine until you are sure no water has entered. How to be sure? I don't know and ask that someone can post that advice please.
Sorry for the late reply... been a crazy 2 days thanks to the aftermath of the storm .. This car was parked in the underground.

Shortly after posting the question (8 30 AM) I went to check on the car again. I had taken photos at 6 AM so was sure that the level was actually RISING. I checked that there were no issues in the power lines and decided to go see the car up close.

The level has steadily increasing as the drains were not taking away water...

The front door line level was starting to go underwater. I got in using the rear door and the interior was dry. I confirmed that the tail pipe was over the water (the parking lot is higher towards the rear of the car). Popped the bonnet to confirm that intake is clear. Started the car and drove out without incident.

Car running fine, carpets are dry, no water on dip stick .

The water level increased after that even though multiple pumps are running. Lot of my apartment's cars are still stuck . ...
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordlover88 View Post

CESC Helpline is down due to huge volume of calls. Your area has lots of trees uprooted on electric poles. That's why restoration is taking so long. But our LT overhead gangs are working day and night to restore power as soon as possible.
Hi, is there any way of knowing when power supply could be restored? My elderly parents stay in Moore avenue in tollygunge and have been without power since Wednesday. There are no uprooted trees/poles in the neighborhood they are in. Not able to reach the CESC helpline.
Old 22nd May 2020, 16:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi, is there any way of knowing when power supply could be restored? My elderly parents stay in Moore avenue in tollygunge and have been without power since Wednesday. There are no uprooted trees/poles in the neighborhood they are in. Not able to reach the CESC helpline.
Hi, restoration is already in progress in most areas. Our servers and intranet services are down presently hence can't check in details about tollygunge area but you can expect supply to be resumed by end of today or tomorrow first half.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks