Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2020, 12:23   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Living in an Apartment vs Individual House

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
Someone in the earlier post said that parking is not an issue in the individual house, I would say it depends. If planned for future, we can manage it well. With the raised umber of car owners, I can see that already narrow streets are full of cars parked outside of house on the side of the roads.
This is a very valid point. When my parents constructed our house 3 decades ago in a middle-class colony of around 200 houses, hardly anyone had cars or even two-wheelers. Obviously nobody planned their houses or the colony with the ease of car parking in mind. Fast forward to today, almost everyone has a car and have had to spend more money (sometimes more than the car itself) to accommodate the vehicles.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 15:25   #62
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
For example, as on today, one can buy a 3BHK apartment from a reputed developer at around 1Cr in a good developed locality in Bangalore, probably very close to your workplace. What kind of an independent house can one purchase with the same money ?
Interesting point. This is also city dependent, Bombay for eg doesn't have the individual house culture. There are some old family bungalows but you'd have to be Uber rich to buy one now.
Old 1st June 2020, 16:13   #63
BHPian

Having lived in both, I think I am qualified to answer this one. I lived in a 1200 sqft apartment for 7-8 yrs before moving to a gated society duplex villa about 4-5 yrs back. Here's what changed :

1. Close to the ground - Its easy and comfortable for parents and kid to step out without elevator dependency, straight into the lawn and sideyard. Made them more outgoing than they ever were. Lockdown was not to tough - parents could sit in the lawn every evening and kid could play in front of the house every evening.

2. Water independence - Since we have a sump and water supplied from borewell, we know how much water we got and how we can manage it. We are not paying for water being wasted by others. Also, we are allowed to implement own RWH solutions to conserve water.

3. Easy egress and ingress - In a large apartment complex, it takes 15 mins to get into elevator, to multi level parking and then exit the parking. Due to this reason, I would opt for a villa even if it means going further 15 mins away from your workplace. Effective commute time won't change.
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 16:37   #64
BHPian

Stayed in an independent house for the first 10 years and for the last 25 years in an apartment. Now i get the urge to buy and move to an independent house (in Chennai). But considering the land cost, it is highly unlikely but this is one thing in my mind for the last 5 years or so.

Pros of Independent House
1. Privacy & Peace. I apartments that I own (total 3 in Chennai) have always had some or the other quarrels between the owners. The bigger the apartment, bigger the fights.
2. You can grow your own garden. Of late I got interested in planting veggies and growing small vegetables in home (Brinjal, Chillies, Ladies Finger, Pudhina, Spinach, etc.) in the very small space that is available for me in the apartment.
I plan to dedicate a floor to grow my own Veggies when I construct my own independent house.
3. You can construct the way you want and in future (after 30 years or so), if needed can demolish and reconstruct also as per kids wish. This can't be done in an apartment obviously.
4. As per my view, all apartments have a lifetime - Probably some 30-40 years. And reconstruction with so many people's acceptance is a major task.
5. Can host friends and family any time without anyone questioning. This, at least in the apartments I own is a major problem. There is restriction of hosting outsiders inside apartment. (But I agree, even I would feel the same way when a neighbor hosts a large event and disturbs my peace)

Cons
1. Price
2. Should be in a good locality.
3. Security (with many safety technologies, this can be prevented to some extent)
Old 1st June 2020, 17:41   #65
BHPian

I own a flat and a villa (not an independent bungalow, but in a gated community). I prefer the flat. Oddly enough, the privacy is actually higher in my flat.

Common services in apartment complexes help owners deal with complexity. I don't agree that maintenance is higher in apartments. The outflow is likely to be the same one way or another (water, security, clubhouse etc.)

Most independent houses in places like Bangalore don't have sufficient land. The built up area takes up most of the land area. Consequently, there isn't any practical use for windows because you will only get to check out your neighbour's kitchen. On the other hand, apartments can give you a better feeling of space for a lower price.
kovilkalai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 23:25   #66
BHPian

Not so obvious observation

Occasionally visits of snakes and lot of mosquitoes. If you live in high rise apartment, these issues are non existent.

Wanna DIY stuff with your car? ita easy to do in independent house (availability of power point, carrying tools).

If you are regular at everday social gatherings, your absence will be immediately noticed in the apartment. Good for elderly people.

Good aerial view is only a dream in independent house.

If you are above 6 foot, stretching your hands could be dangerous in the apartment due to lower ceiling height.

Unless you are not living in the top floor, you can manage without cooler / AC in the apartment.

The apartment guys still managed to get down for the evening walks during lockdown. In some independent houses, it wasn't possible.

During strict lockdown, I still.managed to took out all my vehicle for spin inside CHS premises. End result, no dead battery or uneven tyre cracks after 1.5 months of non mobility.
dicor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 13:42   #67
BHPian

I stay in a small district town in eastern Assam. Here, the apartment culture is fairly new (less than 10yrs). I was in the lookout for a plot of land about 6yrs back and it was the same time when apartment buildings were being constructed. Even today, there are only a handful of apartment buildings here and construction of some more in progress.
Me and my wife unanimously opted for a plot of land for the pros it offers. Fast forward a couple of years, a plot was bought and lastly construction started for a G-floor house with the help of loan from a PSU bank. For, us the flexibility offered by individual house outweighs the pros of an apartment, by a long margin. Once ready to move in, there will be ample space for a front garden, back-side and terrace vegetable patch and space for children to play. But, the only things which we will have time to devote our entire weekends will be maintenance of the spaces along with the need to add few things for continual need of improvement every now and then.
What I feel is that money wise, purchase and maintenance of both individual house or apartment will be similar in my area but we will have the entire house and space to ourselves. With a borewell for water supply and readily available manpower for any maintenance work, I think I didn't took a wrong decision.
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:05   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
Stayed in an independent house for the first 10 years and for the last 25 years in an apartment. Now i get the urge to buy and move to an independent house (in Chennai)....
I'm on the same boat. Only we've lived for long in our 1987 constructed apartment on East Coast Road. Suffice it to say that I've longed for an independent home of our own.

I've purchased a plot near the IAF station in Selaiyur where the landscape is still lush with greenery. My intent is to build, but I'm assessing the post-COVID world...will there even be a viable workforce for the construction? I don't know. The migrant laborers all have gone.

Quote:
4. As per my view, all apartments have a lifetime - Probably some 30-40 years. And reconstruction with so many people's acceptance is a major task.
You've nailed it. Our ~35 year old apartment is structurally sound, but is obviously past its prime. Every owner except one longs for it to be demolished and re-built. It's always one owner who holds out - until he gives in and someone else props up with a complaint about the proposed rebuilding plan. The plumbing, the paint, the cracks on the building are all meanwhile begging for repairs - and which owner will shell out money for repairs when they are bent on demolition? That's the status of our vacant Thiruvanmiyur apartment. It's a crying shame, going on 5 years now...
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 09:41   #69
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have lived in an apartment my whole life but want to have an independent house in outskirts of Mumbai (Kalyan mostly), does anyone know of the land rates (per guntha?) there, also, how much does it cost to build a semi premium villa (3 BHK) with parking on a 3-4 guntha house?

Anyone from team-bhp who is in this business can throw some light?

I know the answer to my question can be very subjective depending on location, type of interiors, etc. But I want to start my preparation for the same.
Old 16th September 2020, 01:05   #70
BHPian

Hi all, I request guidance from you. I live in Bangalore and been searching for a flat/individual house.

Apparently I got a promising option to buy a Builders floor flat (Built in 40*60, total 4 flats).
Since it's quite different than typical flat vs fully owned land/single own house, do you have any experience on this? What are the implications on longer run would be encountered? What are pros and cons here?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by lokii_83 : 16th September 2020 at 01:06.
Old 16th September 2020, 01:46   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokii_83 View Post
What are the implications on longer run would be encountered? What are pros and cons here?
Builder floors are very common in North. It will all depend on the layout, like how’s the individual parking, access to stairs/ lift and most importantly, does your local administration allow floor vise registration or will it be a percentage of the while house. You can have some problems with shared resources if any, like a water connection or even sewage in case anything goes bad. I will prefer an individual smaller home or a flat.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 09:14   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, I request guidance from you. I live in Bangalore and been searching for a flat/individual house.

Apparently I got a promising option to buy a Builders floor flat (Built in 40*60, total 4 flats).
Since it's quite different than typical flat vs fully owned land/single own house, do you have any experience on this? What are the implications on longer run would be encountered? What are pros and cons here?

Thank you in advance!
I have no personal experience of a builder floor but I have observed first hand what relatives and friends have faced in Delhi-NCR. Between the three options of an apartment in a multi-rise constructed by a reputed builder, a stand alone bunglow and a builder floor on an independent small plot the third is the worst option with the disadvantages of both of the first two and none of the advantages. I would take it as an option only if I have absolutely no choice and am desperate to buy a house in that particular locality - a situation you rarely find yourself in at least where major assets like a house is concerned. In a builder floor arrangement where all common services are shared between 2 to 4 families, as Turbanator has alluded, you are constantly battling how the resources are shared, how costs are divided, how repairs and routine maintenance is done etc. You get to observe human pettiness and stupidity at its absolute worst. And the one who caves in is the one who is the most decent. Just my observations. Hope this helps.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 09:31   #73
BHPian

I have kept both the option and can say that I have lived in both types equally since I was born. I prefer gated community/flat as long as I am working. After retirement would prefer villa for passing time, gardening, maintenance and sipping morning tea in backyard, probably on a swing.

Last edited by Wanderers : 16th September 2020 at 09:33.
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 10:42   #74
BHPian

Presently I am staying in an apartment. Maybe few years down the line will buy an independent house in a gated complex.
Garth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 11:29   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is that? Some owner of independent house trying to sell his first floor? If yes, don't go anywhere near it.

Last edited by Gansan : 16th September 2020 at 11:30.

Most Viewed