Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 08:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Best Voices thread (not best singers, but the most amazing singing voices)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker48 View Post
I think Clare Torry deserves a spot in this list.
The way she expresses her feelings without saying anything in words but in melodious tune is nothing less than extraordinary.
That really is talent. Here Brit Floyd, a tribute band, renders the same song equally well.

AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 10:41   #47
BHPian

Re: The Best Voices thread (not best singers, but the most amazing singing voices)

Amazing thread. Keep the recommendations coming.
Old 4th June 2020, 21:04   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding a few more.

- Johnny Cash
After such an amazing career, to have such a monster hit in Hurt (albeit a cover) was just special. The video is a masterpiece and deservedly won a Grammy that year.

- Dave Mathews
My goodness, what a singer. And with a great band around him. Perfect for those long distance road trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Vashti Bunyan - Train song (also featured as intro for TV series - Patriot)
Loved the show and the intro, didnt know where it was from. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I'm not a fan of her songs but you can see the voice she has in this video:
Wow, didnt know she had this in her. Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Barry from the BeeGees comes to mind as a unique voice since he was able to render a completely different tone for males (Staying Alive). This is one of my favorites as well.
Fabulous voice indeed. We had a triple cassette Best of Bee Gees compilation when we were growing up. Good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
One more that I absolutely love listening to. Chris Daughtry. I rooted for him in American Idol, and this video shows why:
I would have bet everything I had at that time (admittedly not that much though) that he would have won that year. I really loved his voice from the first time I heard him, maybe it is best that he didnt win. He was always destined for stardom and had a ton of charisma.

Remember when Fuel was hot for a minute? I thought they would be the next big thing.

- Brad Scallions
Lead singer of Fuel. They are one of the forgotten heroes of rock music. They had some really nice songs in Hemmorhage, Innocent, Bittersweet, Shimmer, Falls On Me and my all time favourite song of theirs, Bad Day.

neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 21:24   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
- Johnny Cash
After such an amazing career, to have such a monster hit in Hurt (albeit a cover) was just special. The video is a masterpiece and deservedly won a Grammy that year.

]
Thanks for that. How can one forget Trent reznor!
One song I can't skip is Dead souls. Features on the ost of the crow.

Listen to when he starts low and goes louder about 2/3rd of the way in and the beast transitions. Especially the final chorus. Awesome stuff. This song is a cover, much like Cash covered hurt (that was such a surprise for me when I found out years ago).
Even when Trent is just talking, as he does with quite a few works, it's brilliant. Instance :
Old 4th June 2020, 23:15   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Jasleen Royal - An indie performer. She has had her hits and misses. Her more famous tracks are "Phir Dekhiye" from RockOn! and "Din Shagna Da" from Phillauri.

Sorry for nit-picking - Phir Dekhiye was sung by Caralisa Monteiro, not Jasleen. Jasleen came onto the scene much later, from India's Got Talent.
Old 4th June 2020, 23:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

American Idol 2020 likely winner - Nepal's Arther Gunn does a take on Bob Marley:

while Shubha Mudgal demonstrates her versatility:

and Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa go live in Amsterdam with the blues

Old 5th June 2020, 07:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Sorry for nit-picking - Phir Dekhiye was sung by Caralisa Monteiro, not Jasleen. Jasleen came onto the scene much later, from India's Got Talent.
Yeah. I realised that I skipped words after that Editing option went away.
What I meant to say was her rendition of "Phir Dekhiye" which as you said, she sang at IGT.
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 08:33   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Shubha Mudgal in THIS song:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
While Shubha Mudgal demonstrates her versatility:
Big fan of Shubha Mudgal. Strong voice across three octaves.

Raag Bhimpalasi - sound from heaven

Shobha Gurtu has a unique voice for light classical and Thumri.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th June 2020 at 10:51. Reason: video links removed from the quoted parts
Old 5th June 2020, 18:16   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
There are so many others, but these are my top of the pops.
Chip in guys, would love to use this lockdown to find some new voices!
Thanks Mayankk, great post !

Most of my personal preferences are already covered here. Ones I couldn't find so far in post (and I highly recommend) are Jim Morrison and Bob Dylan. Both were more than just singers and their other talents usually overshadows their singing.

> Morrison's voice remains gold standard for deep masculine voice, soothing to ears but carries attitude. Influenced many after him...

> Dylan - Opinions are divided: raw, harsh, nasal, even disturbing. There are die-hard fans and haters. But no one can deny he (and his voice) was unique which defined a genre and generation.

Other Notable Artists with unique voice ( I couldn't find/ missed in past posts): Bruce Springsteen, Bono (U2), David Bowie, Elvis Presley, Paul McCartney (Beatles), Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones).

On Indian Side: Kishore Kumar

Great initiative, made me revisit my music library once again. Felt good, music can really heal. Looking forward for more suggestions.

PS: My first post, any feedback to improve is appreciated.
Old 5th June 2020, 19:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0whand View Post
Thanks Mayankk, great post !

Most of my personal preferences are already covered here. Ones I couldn't find so far in post (and I highly recommend) are Jim Morrison and Bob Dylan. Both were more than just singers and their other talents usually overshadows their singing.
With your name, I would have expected Eric Clapton!
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 22:57   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
With your name, I would have expected Eric Clapton!
Ha ha, he indeed is my favorite. But was already quoted by other BHP-ians

sl0whand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:22   #57
BHPian

Some of the amazing voice I relished since my teens and it’s getting sweeter as it is gets older like wine.

“A” Agnetha Fältskog, “B” Björn Ulvaeus, “B” Benny Andersson, and “A” Anni-Frid Lyngstad, it’s like an addiction listening to ABBA and my favourite “Angel Eyes”

Teens of 80’s adored honey sweet voice of Marie Fredriksson from Roxette, my favourite “Fading like a Flower”

I doubt whether this generation recognize Tom Scholz from Boston, mesmerizing voice and what a music they made. I got introduced to this band during my high school days (1990) and BOSTON become like an addiction, I love to blast “Livin for you” from the album “Walk on” during my sweet home runs.

80’s and 90’s introduced phenomenal Rock bands with amazing ballads and pure musical talent, do you recognize Kip Winger from rock band Winger, whenever I play “Miles away” my neighbor’s too listen

Magical voice of Sebastian Bach from Skid row “I Remember you” and Joe Elliott – Def Leppard “Have you ever needed someone so bad”, I guess my replay button will be damaged soon.

Long live Rock Ballads
glovins2004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:40   #58
BHPian

Most of the vocalists I consider good have been mentioned already - Jon Bon Jovi, Axl Rose, Sting. I also kind of like Richie Sambora, he used to provide backing vocals for Bon Jovi (in Bed Of Roses, the higher pitched voice), but he also released two of his own albums, and one of my favorite songs is Ballad Of Youth

Most of what I listen to is metal, usually symphonic, and most of my favorites are more male vocal bands/tracks those aren't exactly known for amazing vocals, so it is kind of limiting to have to list female fronted bands. Among thrash metal bands, James Hetfield and Dave Mustaine have great vocals, and Philip Anselmo of Pantera has a wide range from guttural (5 minutes alone) to soft (Cemetery Gates). Soundgarden's Chris Cornell and Ozzy Osborne are two other vocalists with very different, unique voices, as also Kurt Cobain of Nirvana.

At the other end of the vocal spectrum is Marvin Lee Aday aka Meatloaf. Brilliant vocals for ballads.

Tarja Turunen of Nightwish, Simone Simons of Epica are nice, with Vibeke Stene of Tristania being my favorite in the genre. Their new singer , Mariangela Demurtas is nice too (see Year Of the Rat below) but I rate Vibeke over Mariangela.

Tarja Turunen : Over The Hills And Far Away

Tarja Turunen : Bless The Child

Simone Simons - White Waters

Simone Simons - Design Your Universe

Vibeke Stene in Cease To Exist :

Mariangela Demurtas in Year Of The Rat :

Incidentally, 2020 is the Chinese year of the rat!!

Within Temptation's Sharon Del Adel:
The Howling

Our Solemn Hour:

Among the more mainstream singers, I was listening to Alan Walker and some of the vocals were very intriguingly nice. So I went about looking for each of them, especially the ones I loved.
Of those, the voice I really loved was that of Iselin Solheim , who sang Faded and Sing Me To Sleep, her voice feels soothing, and this song Sing Me To Sleep kind of got stuck in my head. She also has other tracks not by Alan Walker.

Iselin Solheim - Sing Me To Sleep live
Pay attention to the part where she sings "Anywhere , anytime, I would do anything for you, anything for ya" part - I find that last bit absolutely cute.

Iselin Solheim - Wizard of Us:

Another superb vocalist from Alan Walker's tracks is Tomine Harket in Dark Side :
Tomine Harket singing "Dark side" live :

One more of Alan Walker's songs whose vocals stood out , All Falls Down, turned out to be Noah Cyrus, who happens to me Miley Cyrus' sister, hadn't heard anything about her before searching for this track.
Noah Cyrus in All Falls Down

Another pop singer I found randomly listening to stuff on Youtube, she's got a raspy vocals
Charli XCX - Boom Clap (OST for The Fault In Our Stars)

Among Hindi/Indian musicians:
I find Mohit Chauhan's vocals truly outstanding. Songs like Nadaan Parindey couldn't be rendered better by anyone else. Shaan is my other favorite Indian singer, amazing voice and amazing music. I also like Nikhil D'Souza and KK for a few select tracks I've heard.

How can I forget Ram Sampath - the lead of rock back Colorblind. He also sand Bhag DK Bose in Delhi Belly.
He is simply amazing, somehow rock isn't too popular in India and he had to go filmy afterwards, but listen to this :

If that's now A+ grade rock music and vocals, what is ?

I can't recall any female Indian singer in particular that I like, maybe Shirley Setia but she does covers more than originals, nice voice though.
And though not Indian, Momina in Coke Studio's "Afreen Afreen" , what a sweet voice!

Last edited by Ricci : 6th June 2020 at 15:07.
Old 17th June 2020, 17:17   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovins2004 View Post
I doubt whether this generation recognizes Tom Scholz from Boston, mesmerizing voice and what music they made.
Tom did not sing. Brad Delp did. That falsetto is all Brad Delp.

FYI, Tom was a think, lanky, geeky engineering graduate from a small engineering school near Boston called MIT. He worked for the Polaroid Corporation and while working there developed a Walkman style guitar amp he called the Rockman and later expanded this to develop the Bassman/Bass-Ace. He founded "Scholz Research & Development" around 1980-81 to develop other products for Pro-Audio. I think the last product (or among the last products) they developed was a compressor for acoustic guitar for Jim Dunlop Corporation.

That's pretty much the gist of Tom's life (oh he was married twice). You can google the rest.

Last edited by navin : 17th June 2020 at 17:19.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 21:09   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Tom did not sing. Brad Delp did. That falsetto is all Brad Delp.
Hello Navin, Thanks for correcting. You are right, Brad Delp is the lead vocalist and Tom Scholz the founder. Walk On is my favorite album, hope you do like Boston.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks