Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2020, 14:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Best Voices thread (not best singers, but the most amazing singing voices)

This thread is for some of the most amazing voices you’ve ever been fans of.
I am not talking about amazing singers, who have huge range, brilliant range, or are technically the best. No, this is more about voices that have other qualities, even peculiarities. Of course, they can be brilliant technically as well, but we are not looking at Whitney Houstons or Lata Mangeshkars.

The reason for this thread is that some of us find it much more entertaining when a singer has some x-factor () which literally causes goose pimples. I would love to discover more such voices in addition to what I have mentioned here. Here goes:
1. Dave Mustaine: This man is a class apart and I am thankful for his waywardness which got him thrown out of Metallica. We got another band because he got fired.

Wait for the guttural growl at the end of the riffs.
2. William Bruce Rose, or Axl Rose: His voice is undeniably soothing, but only until spaghetti incident. Chinese Dem was quite hopeless, he just didn’t sound the same, or even good. Better, Catcher in the rye, and street of dreams are listenable, but hardly a spot on this:

Wait for “Why must it drift away and die”, and “I never wanted it to die” near the end of this song.
3. Till Lindemann: Rammstein liberally offended everyone into submission with everything that they did. Whether it was the harshness, the guttarality of the music. Or their arrangement, offensive/dark lyrics and even more weird live performances and videos. But what sticks with you is the voice of Till coming from the deepest darkest holes of hell.

Listen to the intro and the outro. You will either throw away your headphones into the toilet to rid them of the unholiness, or you will be searching for even more stuff from the guy. Try and listen to Rammstein in chronology, and go to his solo stuff only when you are a fan, I would suggest.
4. Chris Cornell, RIP: It was a total shock, his death. When RATM reformed into something unrecognizable, as Audioslave, it was sacrilege. However, Chris’s voice complemented the way in which Tom Morello made his guitar dance so well. Of course, this Morello was not wielding an axe like he did with RATM.

Look for the end of the guitar solo at around 2:15. In fact, listen to the solo as well to see what Morello is all about, and then listen to the stanza at the end.
For sheer variety in compositions:

5. Zack De La Rocha: This guy defined the use of music against the establishment. Rebellious, hard and loaded lyrics. Anything that ever came from RATM is heavenly, and ZDLR’s rap and feelings just make you want to go out and buy a little red handbook.

One of the lesser known songs, wait for the entry into the solo by Morello
6. Eddie Vedder: We’ve grown up with PJ, but his Ukulele songs, and solo works are amazing. Rise up, guaranteed, they’re both vocally as well as lyrically so satisfying!

Here’s one with Chris Cornell:

And with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

There are so many others, but these are my top of the pops.
Chip in guys, would love to use this lockdown to find some new voices!

Last edited by mayankk : 1st June 2020 at 14:26.
mayankk is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 15:34   #2
BHPian

re: The Best Voices thread (not best singers, but the most amazing singing voices)

Jasleen Royal - An indie performer. She has had her hits and misses. Her more famous tracks are "Phir Dekhiye" from RockOn! and "Din Shagna Da" from Phillauri.

Her voice retains a childish tinge to it which hits the nostalgia button in my head instantly and turns me kinda mellow.

Amit Trivedi - A brilliant composer with some of the most unique basslines and instrument fusions the Bollywood industry has seen.
But as a singer too, he is really accomplished. His voice is very lively, someone you'd love grooving to at a stage/concert.

My favourite compilation of him singing -

Honestly, I don't know if these actually belong to this thread. The mods are free to remove this post if required.

Last edited by sharktale : 1st June 2020 at 15:43.
sharktale is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 15:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Best Voices thread (not best singers, but the most amazing singing voices)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Jasleen Royal - An indie performer. She has had her hits and misses. Her more famous tracks are "Phir Dekhiye" from RockOn! and "Din Shagna Da" from Phillauri.

Her voice retains a childish tinge to it which hits the nostalgia button in my head instantly and turns me kinda mellow.
That song has been heard and done to death, but the first time I heard this version, I had to get it immediately. It's just brilliantly haunting!
On Punjabi, Qismet by Ammy Virk, similarly honest in his voice:

And heavy lyrics too.
mayankk is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 17:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Ozzman cometh \m/

Hardly a good singer with a voice like wailing kittens but man oh man what a vocalist The perfect voice for Sabbath. Never did like much better singers like Dio and Gillian when they were with Sabbath.

Mustaine, definitely.

Lemmy Kilmister comes to mind as another solid vocalist

But singer and vocalist? Well the bootleg video of Halford, Dickinson and Tate belting out The one you love to hate is solid evidence for three of the finest singers in the business.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 17:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Jasleen Royal
Honestly, this was the first name that came to my mind when I read the thread title. Absolutely in love with her voice, and her latest song, Nit Nit!

Here are some more names that come to my mind:

Joseph Keefe of "FamilyoftheYear":
He sang this beautiful song for the movie "Boyhood":

Prateek Kuhad:
Although he has songs like 'cold/mess' that are way more famous, this is my favourite:

Anuv Jain:
Relatively new to the Indian Indie scene, this is my favourite song of his:

Rupali Moghe:
Another lesser known artist:

Darshana Rajendran:
Here's her cover of "Bawra Mann":

Lisa Mishra:

Last edited by boniver : 1st June 2020 at 17:53.
boniver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 17:47   #6
BHPian

Indian Singers: Lata Mangeshkar (Pre-1980 exclusively); Hariharan; Yesudas; Jagjit Singh; Suresh Wadekar; Sonu Nigam; Rafi; and Kishore

Non-Indian Singers:Freddie Mercury (Queen); Bono (U2); Klaus Meine (Scorpions); Lionel Richie; John Lennon; Eric Clapton; Bon Jovi (been long since I heard him now); Kurt Cobain; ...have forgotten some names!
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 19:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ragnbone man, whatever his real name is has a great baritone voice.

Also how can we forget the legend himself - Vitas !!
Mortis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 20:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Ragnbone man, whatever his real name is has a great baritone voice.

Also how can we forget the legend himself - Vitas !!
Thanks for that. I've heard human before, as it turns out. Got it now.
And Vitas, if you take away the visual mess, is quite nice!
Old 1st June 2020, 20:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly, among alternate voices I have heard Vidya Vox with her mash ups and Prateek Kuhad are real good. My favourite song of Prateek Kuhad also featured Irfan Khan and hence it’s now memorable even more for me.

ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 21:01   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Lemmy Kilmister comes to mind as another solid vocalist
How could I forget Lemmy!
Orgasmotron, whenever it pops up on shuffle in the car immediately makes the hand turn the volume up to max! And of course the songs taken up by the WWE (HHH and Evolution).
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 22:31   #11
BHPian

Few of these are popular songs. But they really made me hear their voice and awe:

This man's voice is amazing, I'm sure there are many fans:

Both in this song - Sting and Cheb Mami:

Not so popular, but I like Fink's charismatic voice with the lovely guitar strumming:

Last edited by five46 : 1st June 2020 at 22:34. Reason: 'Agree' appears by default with the smiley, which I didn't want to
five46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 23:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Since I harped about RATM, I have to mention Tom Morellos independent work as well. "the road I must travel", and "it begins tonight" under the night watchmen. They're brilliant. Road especially harks back to when he raged against the machine in its lyrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
F
This man's voice is amazing, I'm sure there are many fans:

Both in this song - Sting and Cheb Mami:

Not so popular, but I like Fink's charismatic voice with the lovely guitar strumming:
Sunoh is probably his best work, and I remember that when it came out, people said the guy couldn't sing. With that voice, he didn't need to have range, and he knew it, or his producers did. There's another song of his, Tu kaun hai, that's right up there too, even though it featured in a movie.
Love sting too, but mostly his solo work. You've got to listen to what he was doing on OSTs in the 90's. From all for one, and it's probably me, he went to the other end for a reworking of Demolition man, from three musketeers, lethal weapon, and demolition man, respectively.
That demolition man one is a good video too.

Will be checking out fink too, thanks.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 23:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This thread is for some of the most amazing voices you’ve ever been fans of.
I am not talking about amazing singers, who have huge range, brilliant range, or are technically the best. No, this is more about voices that have other qualities, even peculiarities. Of course, they can be brilliant technically as well, but we are not looking at Whitney Houstons or Lata Mangeshkars.

The reason for this thread is that some of us find it much more entertaining when a singer has some x-factor () which literally causes goose pimples. I would love to discover more such voices in addition to what I have mentioned here.
Great thread. Here is my take.
You mentioned goose pimples, Vashti Bunyan and Gotye are the first that come to my mind. Then back home, there is Rahul Ram (from Indian Ocean band) and Neha Bhasin who have an x-factor that is unexplainable.

Vashti Bunyan - Train song (also featured as intro for TV series - Patriot)

Gotye - Somebody that I used to know

Combination of Indian Ocean and legendary lyricist (Piyush Mishra)

Neha Bhasin has a knack of recreating the magic of Punjabi folk songs
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:22   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Best Voices thread (not best singers, but the most amazing singing voices)

What a brilliant thread, mayankk . Thanks for sharing! And it's great to see so many music lovers on Team-BHP. 90% of my waking hours are with some kind of music playing in the background.

My 2 paisa for this thread with voices that really touch my soul.

Jasmine Thompson:

Shubha Mudgal in THIS song:

IMHO, Moby has one of the best voices out there (although he promotes a lot of others in his songs):

I think Lana Del Rey is really next level!

Enya moves my soul:

Anyone else a fan of Beth Gibbons?

2Pac, especially in mashups like these. He brings a "different" flavour to the song:

Elizabeth Fraser was chosen over Madonna for this track! Listen and you'll know why:

Kurt Cobain had a rather unconventional, but crazy-good voice:

I like any & all kinds of music genres (except Jazz). Here's what my iTunes looks like:
The Best Voices thread (not best singers, but the most amazing singing voices)-annotation-20200602-091913.png
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:31   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Best Voices thread (not best singers, but the most amazing singing voices)

I'm not a fan of her songs but you can see the voice she has in this video:

Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks