Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 19:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pregnant elephant dies after eating cracker-stuffed pineapple

In line with Manjunathki's points, I might add that it is the human ego that makes us feel superior. Without weapons and/or technology, most of us won't even survive if we are left in the middle of the Tadoba/Pench or some such kind of forest.
Humans do not have the first right over natural resources. If we dont keep our distance from other species, the inter-species conflict will worsen. The cruelty of the human race is only rivalled by its frailty in the relative natural order (as evidenced by corona).

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 4th June 2020 at 19:07.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:24   #47
BHPian

For your information:
Pregnant elephant dies after eating cracker-stuffed pineapple-img_20200604_165221.jpg
Flyer is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:51   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL... I'm awestruck not by the news article, but that so many think that you can just go and feed a wild elephant.

“... As she walked on the streets...” sounds more like a cow.

Last edited by dhanushs : 4th June 2020 at 20:20.
dhanushs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Greed.

I am surprised you missed the article link I posted. Here it is:
Their natural predator wolves are very few in number, and wild boars breed very fast, almost like rabbits.
Propagandist article. You damage the ecosystem so much that some of the predators of boars must have vanished resulting in a rise in their population. There is huge demand for wild boar meat in the high ranges of Kerala. So rampant killing and hunting is prevalent there.
The only vermin on earth is human beings with uncontrolled population and exploitation of resources.
poloman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 20:15   #50
anb
BHPian

The news quoted by OP in the first post is turned out to be fake. In this circumstances I request moderators to remove the fake news given in the opening post.
Attached Thumbnails
Pregnant elephant dies after eating cracker-stuffed pineapple-img_20200604_201149.jpg  

anb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 20:16   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Propagandist article. You damage the ecosystem so much that some of the predators of boars must have vanished resulting in a rise in their population.
Ok, so you have a professional disagreement with that wildlife expert with 35 years of experience. Can you kindly share your professional background in wildlife related area. I just want to be sure you are not some random guy on Internet putting down experts who have spent a life time working in wildlife conservation.
Samurai is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 20:25   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
The news quoted by OP in the first post is turned out to be fake.
It isn't fake but NDTV did report it that way when the news broke out. The author has corrected the article since.

I've attached the PDF copy of the cached article.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NDTV_Pregnant Elephant v1.0.pdf (1.01 MB, 111 views)
Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 20:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so you have a professional disagreement with that wildlife expert with 35 years of experience. Can you kindly share your professional background in wildlife related area. I just want to be sure you are not some random guy on Internet putting down experts who have spent a life time working in wildlife conservation.
So you are saying that a wildlife expert with 35 years can't run propaganda. You don't need to be a professional to criticize. I have been born an brought up in some of these areas is good enough for that. Many a times this human wild life conflict is cited as license to hunt down wild animals. How many wild boars have you come across in a forested area, if they were multiplying in thousands.
This stood out in his bio.
Life Member of the National Rifle Association of India Is this only recreational? Has he won medals?

Last edited by poloman : 4th June 2020 at 20:40.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 20:39   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So you are saying that a wildlife expert with 35 years can't run propaganda. You don't need a professional to criticize.
Hmm, you should consider reading this book.

Quote:
I have been born an brought up in some of these areas is good enough for that.
Even I grew up around forests, doesn't make me an expert on wildlife.

Quote:
This stood out in his bio.
Life Member of the National Rifle Association of India
So what? Why should that make him a bad guy? When I lived in Coorg, every house had a gun or two. Doesn't make them all bad people.
Samurai is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 21:03   #55
BHPian

Every parcel of land in India is guarded/manned by an forest guard. He is the responsible person for any & every thing related to forest /wildlife. If a conflict arises, it's they who are responsible.

Please be also informed of Shri. Nawab Shafat Ali, the most celebrated hunter and the only tranquillising and culling expert in the country.

https://starofmysore.com/meet-nawab-shafath-ali-khan-1/

Hyderabad: 50 wild boars killed at Dundigal IAF base

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/hyde...w/63966203.cms
ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 21:25   #56
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Why did they encroach forest land and cultivate in first place? This took place in the buffer zone of Silent valley national park. Most of these areas are illegally occupied for generations. There was a report from a environmentalist Madhav Gadgil which talked about the extent of encroachment in western ghats.
Perhaps poor people/farmers encroach forests because they cannot afford an apartment in Bangalore and do not have the education to land that plum IT job.

Perhaps they encroach forests to work in rain and sun to grow fruts cheaply (like pineapples) that city folk like having in their pinacoladas, tutifruti or hawian pizza.

Perhaps the govt failed to educate their parents about family planning so due to the immense population pressure in Kerala, they have no where else to go.

Perhaps the forest dept and govt is so useless that it has allowed forests to be stripped of food for animals and the animals are forced out of forests looking for food.

Anyway, in the end the poor elephant paid the price for all these reasons.

I just wish that people would take some time to understand the problem and if they really care, to do something real about it instead of going all bleeding heart on a keyboard until the next tear jerker story comes along.

I also wonder how many people shedding tears on this thread have eaten meat from a sheep, goat, chicken, pig, cow etc etc.
KMT is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 22:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Perhaps poor people/farmers encroach forests because they cannot afford an apartment in Bangalore and do not have the education to land that plum IT job.
Poor farmers... Whom are we kidding here. Do you think these are the poor tribals or the son of soils? These are people with political backing who systematically encroached upon the public wealth which is our forests. Or is it like I am poor so let me go and encroach 10 acres of forest land then call other species as vermin.
The back ground for this cruelty was set some time back
https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...cle6079714.ece
Quote:
A directive of the Kerala State Human Rights Commission that the government permit killing of crop-raiding wild boars has come as a shock to conservationists and wildlife authorities.

Commission chairperson J.B. Koshy issued the order on a petition from N. Devarajan of Koduman. He said it was impractical for farmers to seek the permission of the Forest Department to shoot or trap wild boars when they ravaged crops at night.

Mr. Koshy suggested that the farmers should be allowed to kill the animals found in non-forest areas by gunfire or other means.

Meat of the boar killed after obtaining permission from the authorities shall be allowed to be consumed, the directive said.
These are the same lobbyists disguised as experts who gave an open pronouncement to start the killing.
poloman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 00:36   #58
BHPian

I can see some people here have taken it upon themselves to defend this because of the area this has happened in. Just to reiterate, no one here is generalizing the entire population of that region neither any one is blaming entire population. People here are just disgusted, gutted that something like this could happen and want the person responsible for this to face the consequences.

We Humans have destroyed our forests, killed the animals out of sheer greed. This incident is no different. Hundreds of animals are poached every year, there is no outrage but this mother caught the fancy of entire nation because she was pregnant and died a very painful death and we have social media. I will be real glad if this going viral could save even one animal's life.

The person /person's involved in this deserve a painful death if they did this knowingly. Period.
Engine_Roars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 00:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wild boars are vermin, they are a menace to both agriculture and forests.

Read this article from an wildlife expert to understand why.

The vermin status of Wild boar varies from state to state.

Goa declared it vermin less than a month ago.

Kerala allows forest officials gun down wild boar.

This cracker stuffed pineapple was obviously placed for wild boar by some farmers who were fed up by all the damage by the wild boars. Unfortunately, an elephant got to it first. This method is not legal, but when people are frustrated, they take extreme measures. In remote areas, law is not exactly followed to the letter. Even enforcers are used to turning a blind eye when farmers take matter into their own hands.

Suppose an animal destroys your work product on a daily basis. What would you do after all the humane methods fail?
2 questions for you:-
1) In goa, where you say they've declared boars as vermin, do you have farmers killing them with explosives hidden in fruit?
2) If its illegal to kill them in Kerala, how can you justify it, especially since you're a moderator?

To answer your question: If an animal destroys your work product on a daily product, as per your statement, its perfectly fine to break the laws of the land and protect your work product, right? One shouldn't even think of informing the forest dept, which is the correct process, just lace fruit with explosives and if you kill the wrong animal or person, then just chalk it up to collateral damage?
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 01:32   #60
BHPian

We can all day argue about what is right or wrong but when lives are lost whether animal or human guilty needs to be punished and example needs to be set. Animal human conflict is increasing in our country as we don't have space to accommodate such a large population.
Maybe we should start talking about how to reduce our population.
FrozeninTime is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks