Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2020, 15:27   #1
BHPian

Pregnant elephant dies after eating cracker-stuffed pineapple

OMG I am really shocked to see something like this happening in Kerala. I count it the most educated state in our country and this shameless thing happening there is really pathetic.

Feeling really very sad after reading the news.

Quote:

Thiruvananthapuram: An incident exposing the brutal reality of society surfaced from the state of Kerala. While on one side, several steps are being taken by activists to prevent the abuse of animals, there are some people who are subjecting them to brutality and torture.

Locals in Kerala allegedly fed a pineapple stuffed with crackers to a pregnant elephant on Wednesday. The elephant died after the pineapple exploded in its mouth.
A forest official woking in Malappuram district of Kerala took to social media platform Facebook and shared the details of the incident.
The elephant had wandered into a village in search of food. Some of the locals fed the pineapple stuffed with crackers to the tusker while it was walking on the streets.

Tusker did not hurt anyone

Mohan Krishnan, the forest official who shared the details of the incident was also a part of the team that rescued the elephant. Krishnan wrote on Facebook, "She trusted everyone. When the pineapple she ate exploded, she must have been shocked not thinking about herself, but about the child, she was going to give birth to in 18 to 20 months."
The elephant suffered serious injuries on its tongue and mouth after the crackers exploded in its mouth, NDTV reported. In his post, Krishnan stated that the pregnant tusker did not hurt any of the villagers even as it ran through the streets in pain.

After the explosion, the pregnant elephant went to the Velliyar river and stepped in. Following this, the forest department brought two elephants- Neelakanthan and Surendran to take the pregnant tusker out of the river. The elephant died at 4 pm while standing in the river.
Petition filed for Justice:https://www.change.org/p/ministry-of...5-b7e8697b6dd1

Source:
https://www.timesnownews.com/mirror-...neapple/600656
Attached Thumbnails
Pregnant elephant dies after eating cracker-stuffed pineapple-index.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th June 2020 at 13:48. Reason: EDIT: Picture added
roby_dk is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 15:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brutal animal abuse: Pregnant elephant dies after locals in Kerala feed her cracker-stuffed pine

I know this post adds no value but: And some of humankind still wonder what have we done to deserve Covid. We deserve something much, much worse
arvind71181 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Brutal animal abuse: Pregnant elephant dies after locals in Kerala feed her cracker-stuffed pine

Really sad, especially when it's said that the elephant didn't destroy any crops or hurt anyone.
Can understand when people want to protect their crops and use firecrackers to scare away animals, but to purposefully feed food laced with crackers just smacks of sadistic behaviour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
OMG I am really shocked to see something like this happening in Kerela. I count it the most educated state in our country and this shameless thing happening there is really pathetic.
Literacy is not equal to education/progressive thinking.

Don't know the extent of PR work outside Kerala, but for Keralites, other than the equitable development, there is nothing to be proud of in the so called 'Kerala model'.

Killing each other for idealogy doesn't make one greater than those killing for religion/caste.
DicKy is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very sad news!

I watched latest news update. Where and how elephant got injured is still not clear. I do not know from where media got this "pineapple fed by locals" came from.

Last edited by Latheesh : 3rd June 2020 at 17:44.
Latheesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Very sad news!

I watched latest news update. Where and how elephant got injured is still not clear. I do not know from where media got this "pineapple fed by locals" came from.
How did the cracker stay lit until it was given to her or when she was eating? How did the elephant not see the spark or fire or smell or taste of something fishy? Wondering if it's just firecrackers or something worse.
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Brutal animal abuse: Pregnant elephant dies after locals in Kerala feed cracker-stuffed pineappl

I read this news yesterday and haven't felt normal since then. This goes on to show how cruel, destructive and selfish we humans can be, towards others. Feels strange how can one think and come up with such ideas?
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:13   #7
BHPian

Re: Brutal animal abuse: Pregnant elephant dies after locals in Kerala feed cracker-stuffed pineappl

https://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/how-hea...ephant-2240021

I do not think that the pineapple was meant for the elephant (not making it less inhumane but atleast not making it sound like that it was done on purpose to harm the elephant)

"Pineapples with country-made crackers are usually used by locals to protect their fields against wild boars. According to forest officials, the elephant is suspected to have eaten one of the pineapples."

What I do not understand is this part:

"We don't know when the incident happened. But because of the starvation and shrinking of the elephant, we suspect that it would have happened around 20 days ago,"

Why wouldn't someone try to help the poor animal for so many days?
praveen789 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

“We are suspecting that the elephant fell prey to the explosive snare used to fend off wild boars. But there is no evidence now to suggest that it was intentionally fed such an explosive,” KK Sunil Kumar, Mannarkkad Divisional Forest Officer (DFO)"

https://www.thequint.com/news/india/...e-animal-abuse
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:21   #9
BHPian

Not trying to play down the brutality of the incident but the elephant appears to be the unintentional victim of what could be a booby trap for wild boars. ‘Fed by the locals’ would be too much. In areas bordering forests with wild boar issues, the locals usually booby trap fruits with firecrackers called ‘panni padakkam’ (which means pig firecrackers) or ‘thotta’ (local made explosive) in the farms. Usually it kills the boar & scares away the rest. The elephant to have eaten one of those by mistake. It is a really cruel practice & sad to see such a beautiful animal die.
TSIboy is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:22   #10
BHPian

Its really tragic and not the way any living creature should leave this planet!

A bit of reading and understand the fruit was not fed intentionally. This is common practice (not just in Kerala) to keep the wild boars at bay. Again, this is plain cruel for any kind of animal!!
vinair is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I do not know from where media got this "pineapple fed by locals" came from.
Quote:
"Her jaw was broken and she was unable to eat after she chewed the pineapple and it exploded in her mouth. It is certain that she was offered the pineapple filled with crackers to eliminate her," Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) and Chief Wildlife Warden Surendrakumar said.
SOURCE: https://english.manoramaonline.com/d...nt-valley.html

Personally, i would find it very difficult to believe someone would have done this intentionally, unless there was a human-animal conflict which does not seem to be the case here. It may be a case of jumping the gun, but you never know. I really hope this was not an intentional action, I still would like to have some hope on humans.

Last edited by sachinayak : 3rd June 2020 at 19:24.
sachinayak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:32   #12
BHPian

re: Pregnant elephant dies after eating cracker-stuffed pineapple

Reading the other thread where couple drowned in lake does make me sad but that was an accident where they were helpless and the time to save them was very less.

But this is not accident it is a planned murder and done intentionally to kill the poor soul which did no harm to anyone even after being bombed. Generally animals attacks when they are irritated, but it is clearly mentioned in all news feeds the elephant didn't attacked anyone or broke any property. Very bad to kill animals with such practice. Not sure if they even reported this to forest department else she could have been saved.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
SOURCE: It may be a case of jumping the gun, but you never know. I really hope this was not an intentional action, I still would like to have some hope on humans.
Yes.

Authority are checking 3 possibilities:
1) Poachers
2) Came in contact with explosive used for fishing
3) Came across explosive kept to trap wild boars.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:44   #14
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pregnant elephant dies after eating cracker-stuffed pineapple

Title edited since it is not clear if the act was intentional. - Support Team
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 20:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pregnant elephant dies after eating cracker-stuffed pineapple

All sentient beings feel fear and pain. But in the animal kingdom out in the wild, elephants (and whales and dolphins...etc.) are more sentient than the rest. Knowing this, it rends my heart at the pain, the fear and the foreboding that the pregnant pachyderm and her herd will have had, as she stood there in the river. I feel wretched and torn beyond words.

Can we delete this thread and pretend it never happened please? (This is a rhetorical question, please ignore!)
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks