Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Old 5th June 2020, 14:53   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Fire at Hotel Arpit Palace, Delhi - A survivor's experience

Really happy for your father but feeling equally sad for the ones who couldn't make it.
I was literally shivering while reading that phone conversation and I can't even imagine what you and your father must have gone through! Most importantly, you both were calm and strong in such a devastating situation which is just beyond words.
May God keep us all safe.
Nazaar25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 16:14   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Wikipedia entry on the incident

We bought Galaxy watch active 2 for him.

Me- ha, bye. JSK.

(I heard him telling firefighter about a single lady in 403 while disconnecting)

He was safe and that was all I wanted.
Thank you for sharing this incident. I am happy to know that your father survived .It is unfortunate that your family friend couldn't survive.

Very commendable of your dad to maintain calm in all that chaos. And i am sure that minutes must have been the most helpless period of your life. I pray that you don't have to face a similar incident again.

Thanks to this thread, i learnt one more way to reduce risk (stay only in first three floors of a hotel)
yogie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 16:21   #18
AZT
BHPian

Reading this reminded me of the Kamala Mills pub fire in 2017, 14 people died that night and almost all in their 20's. Even these so called decent hotels and high end pubs have zero fire safety protocols. There has to be a way to sue these people apart from legal proceedings. Great to hear your dad made it out safely.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Mills_fire
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 08:54   #19
BHPian

I am happy that your dad is safe and is back to normalcy. I always wondered how these hotels would manage in a fire situation with so much flammable substance all over, like carpets, curtains, soft cushions, wood everywhere.

You did the tough but the right thing while talking to your dad, instead of getting emotional, which would not help in anyway. This controlled conversation is very difficult and not many can do.

As a thumb rule, I don't keep fuel and fire next to each other. No incense sticks, no camper, no paper, no curtains near any Live fire like diya or stove. Always switch off the diya and all electrical appliances at the switch board before stepping out from home. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for sharing.
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 16:29   #20
BHPian

Default Re: The Fitness Band/Smartwatch Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay View Post
Above was the incident from my point of view. Now let’s look at what my dad had done before calling me.

# Dad had taken many lectures on industrial and workplace safety at various offices and institutes, which helped him immensely to remain composed and making conscious decisions.
Hello @JJay, very gald to read about your dad's escape and I believe knowledge, training and will to act without panicing are critical.

There is an incident I would like to share as well from around 25-27 years ago.

I had written the about that episode in 2017 so that my spouse would put in her company's annual magazine, she did not like it and it remained saved on my laptop. I have decided to use it here

Here Goes

One a rainy morning in June I attended a funeral of one of my previous neighbours. These were the people that knew me from my childhood, the ages when you prefer to run around naked, I still prefer running naked but neither have the guts or the cuts to do it.

While we were waiting at the cemetery for the funeral to progress, the old aunties decided to troll me, they called me over and advised a lot of stuff including Kittu beta, pls lose some weight, at this point I was hoping for something to change the topic but they wouldn’t pause their scrutiny, shortly there was a small lull in the conversation, I took this God sent opportunity and asked one of the aunties about how her daughter was doing and asked her if she remembers the fire.

That aunty’s reply was, “I will never forget that day,” and went on to tell all the other aunties about the day of the fire, meanwhile yours truly used this opportunity and fleeted away before the scrutiny could resume.

The Fire Story.

The best days of my life (maybe not), studies over unemployed, waiting to start a job, no work other than errands for the parents and smoke breaks with boys.

One afternoon one of my friends calls me down for a chat, midway down the steps from my apartment to the ground floor I see this aunty running up followed by my friend who was looking bewildered, I took all this in and as I was going to ask, she volunteered “Kittu, aag lagli, chal.”

Without a thought I followed her, back up past my house up to her floor, through her apartment into the kitchen, there I see this sight; the aunty’s daughter was standing in the kitchen next to a kadai on the gas stove, with a stick in hand, stick pushing an electrical wire upward while the oil in the kadai was blazing to glory.

It was a deep kadai about 30 cm diameter filled with oil more than halfway and the oil surface was on fire, puri time maybe.

The poor girl is standing in the kitchen and she has a stick in the hand and the stick is pushing up a small wire hanging from the ceiling leading to a light bulb, so I ask her, dear what are you doing ? to which she replied the wire will burn and electrocute us all, so in that moment of confusion, I asked my friend to switch off the power mains, then I checked the gas knob at the stove and the cylinder – Both were off

I then requested aunty for a thick towel or blanket or something, she gave me a turkish towel which I took to the bathroom and wet the towel in a drum full of water, after which I wrung the towel enough to stop water dripping, this wet towel I folded midway, walked up to the kadai, the wet towel held in front to protect me from the heat, my arms behind the towel. In a swift motion I put the towel on top completely covering the kadai, the fire was put out and that was it, this incident was never discussed again, I didn't inform my parents or other friends nor did I talk to the aunty or her daughter or anything, no lessons were learnt, no knowledge was shared.

A few days after the said funeral I was contemplating about this fire, I had thought about this before but it was always as a story or a fleeting thought, this time with improved maturity and increased experience I wanted to get a takeaway for my kids. This was when I realised the blunders.

The girl
Why did she stand there exposed, holding a wire which clearly was not a threat?
Why didn’t she alert the neighbours or call the fire department, she instead chose to phone her mom at her work place? In her defence the work place was just a 10-minute walk away.

The mom
Why did she choose to run all the way from her work place to her home without alerting anyone at the work place or calling the fire department or telling the building watchman?
Why didn’t she advise her kid over the phone to alert the neighbours, leave the place etc?

Me.
Why did I waste my friend as a resource sending him to find and isolate the power main?
Should I have just let the oil burn out instead of trying the wet towel?
What if I would have tripped the kadai over trying to extinguish the fire?

Water under the Bridge.

No point in contemplating about the mistakes and the “could have happeneds” so I decided to put this to use.
On one of my drives with the wife & kids, I shared the Fire episode with them, I told them some of my concerns about the incident and asked my kids what would they do if we had a fire at our home, I was pretty happy with the answers my 7 and 11 year old gave me we also discussed about alerting the neighbours , banging on the doors and shouting fire as they ran down, instructions to be given to the watchman uncle etc etc.

Then I asked them the number for the fire dept, the boys answered 100, I told then that was the number for the police and pat came the answer from my elder one “911,” too much tv. I told him well that is for USA.

Frankly I too couldn’t recall the number for the Fire fighters was it 101 or 102, so I told the boys assignment time, find out.

I completely forgot about the number assignment, but was happily surprised when my younger kid came home the next day and told me dada its 101, I asked him where did he get that from and he told me it was stencilled inside the school bus.

Why this long post?

I realised that before this fire conversation, the only safety training I had given my kid was not to talk to strangers and no touch zones.
These trainings / talks were prompted by external factors like some teacher or councillor or better half or even my child’s query.

What safety training do we impart to our kids, friends, parents? Do we try to gauge their knowledge and then try to improve either their or our knowledge? Isn’t this important?
Relax&Cruise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 11:35   #21
BHPian

Default Re: The Fitness Band/Smartwatch Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
do you guys have a chance at suing this Hotel?
But it needs to be done.
Criminal proceedings by the City Govt can go on parallely.
Easier said than done.

Frankly, we gave it a thought but as advised by local politician, we neither had backup of any "mainstream" political entity nor lots of time and money to throw in. We quickly disperse the thought and decided to move on as we had enough of bad times and were desperately needed few happy moments.

Last time we got to know that case was transferred to Delhi crime branch and the owner of the hotel was arrested while the hotel licencee was still on run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
you both were calm and strong in such a devastating situation which is just beyond words.
Even we were in bit of surprise, but regular meditation is the key. It makes one conscious about the aspects of surrounding situation, leads to rational thinking and behaviour. [At least true in our experience]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogie View Post
Very commendable of your dad to maintain calm in all that chaos.
Indeed commendable.

Not his profession but occasionally he takes industrial/workplace safety related seminars in offices and institutes, which helped him to remain so.
Now his seminars are more engaging (okay,less boring) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Even these so called decent hotels and high end pubs have zero fire safety protocols.
Though surprising, very true. In fact, this hotel was listed under 2 star category. (not aware of the criteria being considered in giving star ratings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
I always wondered how these hotels would manage in a fire situation with so much flammable substance all over, like carpets, curtains, soft cushions, wood everywhere.
Regular stairs had plenteous wood for aesthetic purpose which burnt in fire, due to which even people from lower floors couldn't get down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax&Cruise View Post

1] There is an incident I would like to share as well from around 25-27 years ago.

Here Goes The Fire Story.

2] No point in contemplating about the mistakes and the “could have happeneds”....

3] I realised that before this fire conversation, the only safety training I had given my kid was not to talk to strangers and no touch zones.
These trainings / talks were prompted by external factors like some teacher or councillor or better half or even my child’s query.

What safety training do we impart to our kids, friends, parents? Do we try to gauge their knowledge and then try to improve either their or our knowledge? Isn’t this important?
1] Thanks for sharing, good to know no one got injured even if it had happened long ago.

2] Absolutely right approach adopted by you .

3] It is high time we adopt some features of Japanese educational system and stress more on practical learning of survival during disasters.

If I am not wrong "112" is our "All in one" Emergency number now, it can be used for immediate assistance from Police (100), Fire (101), health (108) and women (1090).
JJay is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed