Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2020, 13:02   #16
BHPian

Re: A businessman may lose his car for not registering it on time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Twist in the story. He bought the car from a loan taken from a co-operative bank. But the bank can not re-possess the car if the owner decides to default on EMI as the car may not be released from RTO.
RBI should take strict action against the bank, as it's a failure in their side also.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 13:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
RBI should take strict action against the bank, as it's a failure in their side also.
My car completed four years in Feb and same with my loan. For the first time I got a call from bank asking me to send my car insurance copy for their records

Last edited by ajmat : 14th June 2020 at 20:28.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 14:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-One View Post
..., As per their info the owner needs to meet the RTO when changing the address.

...i did already email the JRTO of Thrissur twice over the last 2 weeks but to no replies.

has anyone been in a predicament like this? any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
Try contacting RTO office via phone, or well, you may also get help from the driving school, so contact them if you don't get any help from RTO. Probably you could get away with the requirement to be physically available by providing an authorisation letter to a close-relative.

FYI, the expiration dates of all vehicle related documents have been extended till September 30 (Driving License, vehicle fitness certificate validity extended).
Old 14th June 2020, 15:03   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
This has "shady" written all over it. Serves him right. Hope the car gets auctioned off and proceeds given to some relief fund
Who will buy it in auction? The whole point is, it cant be registered by anyone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-One View Post
... Now i am not sure when i will be able to come and what can be done about this.
i have paid all the 5 yr registration extension and tax money to the driving school and on August 5th 2020 the registration will expire.
i did already email the JRTO of Thrissur twice over the last 2 weeks but to no replies...
Push the driving school guys. Thats exactly why you have paid them for the service. I dont see a problem why it cant be re-registered. The car was registered when the rule was valid - should not pose an issue. At the max, redo the ownership documentation, ie - file a new document with someone in your family as the owner so they can present themselves at the RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
I was about to ask a similar question!
What if I buy a used car (let’s say BS4 or earlier) from another state and want to register it in my state? I suppose this would be allowed.
My take above.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 15:36   #20
BHPian

Thanks a lot Justin. I shall try that.

Push the driving school guys. That's exactly why you have paid them for. I don't see a problem why it can't be re-registered. The car was registered when the rule was valid - should not pose an issue. At the most, redo the ownership documentation, i.e. file a new document with someone in your family as the owner so they can present themselves at the RTO.

Thank you Swiftnfurious, as you said yes they did charge about Rs. 2500, so I shall push them. If not then, try to change ownership with a family member. Thanks a ton

Last edited by Aditya : 14th June 2020 at 20:20. Reason: Back to back posts merged, typos
Old 14th June 2020, 16:05   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a friend who bought a car two weeks prior lockdown. He had temporary registration. However, he couldn't get Permanent registration and now the one month period is well past. Now, the twist is that he needs to urgently drive the car from Vizag to Delhi to transport his father in law on a medical necessity. So, as of now, he is caught up in a fix.

Any guidance on a legally correct way to proceed on this? Can he travel on an expired temporary registration, on the basis of these unforeseen circumstances?
Old 14th June 2020, 19:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
I have a friend who bought a car two weeks prior lockdown. He had temporary registration. However, he couldn't get Permanent registration and now the one month period is well past.
Hi, I think the important consideration is whether this was a BS4 or BS6 vehicle waiting for registration? If BS4, then doubt any RTO will be registering it now, as the deadline was 30th April.

If its BS6, then the Transport ministry had last announced extention of validity of vehicle documents till September 30th, including the registration. Your friend should be able to drive it and suggest him to carry a print of the news article in the vehicle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wap.bus...0901459_1.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/drivin...l-september-30
Diesel_Drives is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 08:23   #23
BHPian

Yes I shall push the school guys. As you said they charged me for it anyway. And also will try changing the ownership of the car. Thank you so much

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th June 2020 at 19:28. Reason: Missing capitals in beginning of sentences.
Old 15th June 2020, 08:51   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
he couldn't get Permanent registration and now the one month period is well past. Now, the twist is that he needs to urgently drive the car from Vizag to Delhi to transport his father in law on a medical necessity.

Can he travel on an expired temporary registration?
If the car is Euro-6, no hassles but if it’s Euro-4, depending on the RTO, he might face problem. I don’t think there was any time limit to get such sold cars registered by SC but it will depend on the interpretations by respective RTO.

Validity of all expired Motor vehicle related documents has been extended till 30th Sep. So technically he can drive but given the distance, I won’t recommend. Another problem can be settling a claim on an unregistered car, should there be any incident.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:51   #25
BHPian

I am not sure how it works in other places, but in my last 2 purchases here in Pune (2- wheelers), vehicle was not delivered until the RTO registration was completed and the allotted number was received. I believe this is the practice here in Pune across all companies/ dealers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks