Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2020, 10:26   #1
BHPian

A businessman may lose his car for not registering it on time!

A business man in Bangalore bought a Mercedes in June last year. He initially got a temporary registration and started using it as registration number.
Law caught up with him recently and he was made to pay the registration fee along with fines.

But paying registration amount and fine may not give any solace as the car can not be registered now as it is a BS4 model, unless some court gives him reprieve.

Twist in the story. He bought the car from a loan taken from a co-operative bank. But the bank can not re-possess the car if the owner decides to default on EMI as the car may not be released from RTO.

Strange, but true

Link to news in Kannada https://kpepaper.asianetnews.com/c/52524122

Last edited by ajmat : 8th June 2020 at 19:22. Reason: minor typo
girishv is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 09:19   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A businessman may lose his car for not registering it on time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
But paying registration amount and fine may not give any solace as the car can not be registered now as it is a BS4 model, unless some court gives him reprieve.
Serves him right for breaking the law so blatantly. On a related note, I wish a strict law would come out for used cars. After selling our cars, so many of us face a problem whereby the buyer doesn't transfer the car to his name. The RTO should impose similarly strict action (stiff fine + repossess the car).
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 09:32   #3
BHPian

This has "shady" written all over it. Serves him right. Hope the car gets auctioned off and proceeds given to some relief fund
Old 8th June 2020, 09:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is symptomatic of a deeper malaise in our society. If you are someone it is a right, a privilege indeed a badge of honour to break, circumvent or skip the law. It gets reflected "legally" by the huge green billboards we see at road tolls of all the luminaries funded by the tax payer who are exempt from toll. It shows up on the lists at airport security of those who are exempt from being frisked. And of course in breaking queues. The list is endless. It infects not just government officials but businessmen and in some ways each of us -- this feudal mentality that rules are for the serfs. I hope this two bit worthy has his car confiscated and the bank loan repaid at threat of a jail term. I doubt anything as serious will happen but each turn of the screw reforms our society just a little bit.
V.Narayan is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 09:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A business man in Bangalore bought a mercedes in June last year. He initially got a temporary registration and started using it as registration number.
Law caught up with him recently and he was made to pay the registration fee along with fines....
If he has bought the car in his company's name I can imagine his plea in court would be that he'd be unable to pay back the loan claiming he can't operate his business without this car, following which his business may be sent into liquidation by the banks leading to unemployment of many families.

Privileged society definitely needs an intervention.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2020 at 10:27. Reason: Trimmed quote.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 09:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
This is symptomatic of a deeper malaise in our society. If you are someone it is a right, a privilege indeed a badge of honour to break, circumvent or skip the law...
Sir, agree with you fully.

This sense of entitlement and urge to show "power" is so pervasive that people across the spectrum do it.
Middle class folks like to point fingers at politician or richer people, but really, this pathetic behavior is everywhere; and mostly shows up in throwing money to get work done, and in process raise the cost of that particular public service for the poorer citizenry.

eg. literally everyone breaks rules/laws while registering property, or get building plans approved, or see how many of us use the convenient side door to get seats for certain Engg/Dental/MBBS/MD, or do illegal modifications to our cars, or randomly make rules that disallows maids/staff from using main lifts in our apartments, or how we get our driving licenses, or keeping PUC certificates refreshed !!

Easy to point fingers.

cheers
lazy

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2020 at 10:27. Reason: Trimmed quote.
lazy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 10:02   #7
BHPian

Serves him 100% - he should be made to run from pillar to post? I don't think so, instead have heavy penalties in place and make him pay or impound the car to be sold. Owners choice.

Expecting people to do the right thing does not work, instead it's the heavy fines system that keeps things in check. E.g. in India when new traffic penalties came few months back every one fell in line.

Like tax brackets have fines linked to individuals income level with a minimum threshold so that people of all income groups equally feel the pinch.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 19:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

That is the tip of the iceberg. The famous RSM's Lamborghini Huracan flaunted temp plates (at least for a long time when I last saw the car, his 911 Turbo also until it was sold!). Yes, the road taxes are obscenely high but if you want to own it, do it properly.

Outside of the businessman, the biggest culprits are the RTO and the thick walls between districts or states etc. Let me explain

RTO - why does one need a temp registration. The only use case that I could think of is if I bought a car in Bangalore and need to register it in Hosur. It used to be the case that cars had to be taken to the district RTO to get registered so I needed to register my exotic car in Mysore, take delivery on a temp plate and get to Mysore to complete the process.

With full IT, Vahan etc, the dealer can log in or work with the RTO to get the car registered in any district without a visit.

Thick Walls - If you need a temp registration to move the car, the RTO needs to ensure checks and balances and notify the destination RTO to expect the registration of the particular vehicle.

So what will the poor businessman do with that Blue Elephant - if he could get it back?
  • Use it as a rallycross car on private land
  • Dismantle it for parts
  • Export it to Africa
  • Get buried in it

Last edited by ajmat : 9th June 2020 at 11:26.
ajmat is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 22:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That is the tip of the iceberg. The famous RSM's Lamborghini Huracan flaunted temp plates (at least for a long time when I last saw the car, his 911 Turbo also until it was sold!). Yes, the road taxes are obscenely high but if you want to own it, do it properly.
Not just his huracan, in fact all his exotics from the first 458 to the current 458/488 follow the same MO. uses the cars on TR until he sells it, just prior to which he gets the cars registered in PY. in fact, when he had taken his 488 to bombay for the ferrari run, he even managed an MH46 TR while he was there.

funnily enough, you dont see him repeating the same tricks with his cars in dubai.
AbelAFC is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 10:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

When I lived in Chennai, I saw similar cases with super luxury cars. They would be driven only with temporary registration extended as many times as possible. Guess the rationale was that it could be sold later as an unregistered car. In my partners building there was this chap who always had Maserati's, Aston's etc and they would stay on temp plates for 6 months to a year and then he would get the next car.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 11:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
After selling our cars, so many of us face a problem whereby the buyer doesn't transfer the car to his name. The RTO should impose similarly strict action (stiff fine + repossess the car).
A very valid point.

My 70+ year old uncle sold his immaculately maintained Ambassador to a used car dealer.

A year later, police arrived at his door and took him to the station where he realized that his Ambassador met with an accident. 2 passengers in the other car had died. That's when he came to know that the Ambassador was still in this name.

Then began a cat-and-mouse game where he had to run between the police, the car dealer and the actual culprits to get absolved from the case. This went on for a couple of years and he transformed from a jolly man to a completely drained individual.
JojyKerala is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 11:59   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Euro 4 cars which were sold before March 31 and a temporary number was issued can be registered.

In certain RTOs, like chandigarh, after lapse of 3 months of temporary registration, police clearance is must. You pay some extra fine but that’s about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
They would be driven only with temporary registration extended as many times as possible. Guess the rationale was that it could be sold.
Temporary numbers can no longer be extended. Used to happen many years ago. In fact, temporary numbers are also issued from Vahan portal. Once a temporary number is issued, you cannot change ownership name and the car has to be registered in the same name. Again, in past, due to manual temporary numbers being available with Dealerships, they can do such changes.

Temporary numbers are issued due to varying reasons, say you have bought a car in one state but want to get registered in the other and dealer may not have a registration in that state to issue plates. Or, you need some fancy number which will be available in auction which may happen in some weeks. So these are perfectly legal and accepted.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th June 2020 at 12:07.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 12:01   #13
BHPian

A quick query a bit off the subject : i have a 2005 ford fusion that i bought in Goa, was planning to do a change of address back to Thrissur (kerala), Got the NOC in November2019 from Goa RTO, As i am based in Vietnam, i came down for a few days in Feb 2020 and had all the documentation done with a driving school, As per their info the owner needs to meet the RTO when changing the address. So was planning to come down in May to do the needful and due to the COVID19 plan was cancelled. Now i am not sure when i will be able to come and what can be done about this.
i have paid all the 5 yr registration extension and tax money to the driving school and on August 5th 2020 the registration will expire.
i did already email the JRTO of Thrissur twice over the last 2 weeks but to no replies.

has anyone been in a predicament like this? any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
G-One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 12:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-One View Post
A quick query a bit off the subject : i have a 2005 ford fusion that i bought in Goa, was planning to do a change of address back to Thrissur (kerala), Got the NOC in November2019 from Goa RTO, As i am based in Vietnam, i came down for a few days in Feb 2020 and had all the documentation done with a driving school, As per their info the owner needs to meet the RTO when changing the address. So was planning to come down in May to do the needful and due to the COVID19 plan was cancelled. Now i am not sure when i will be able to come and what can be done about this.
i have paid all the 5 yr registration extension and tax money to the driving school and on August 5th 2020 the registration will expire.
i did already email the JRTO of Thrissur twice over the last 2 weeks but to no replies.

has anyone been in a predicament like this? any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
I was about to ask a similar question!
What if I buy a used car (let’s say BS4 or earlier) from another state and want to register it in my state? I suppose this would be allowed.

Last edited by kryogesh : 14th June 2020 at 12:18. Reason: content correction
Old 14th June 2020, 12:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogesh View Post
I was about to ask a similar question!
What if I buy a used car (let’s say BS4 or earlier) from another state and want to register it in my state? I suppose this would be allowed.
sure you can register. i dont think will be an issue.
G-One is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks