Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2020, 16:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches

Friends,

Most of us (except the lucky folks with 24 hour maids) are tired of washing vegetables given the panic over covid. While there are easy to use ozonisers, they have their own headache in terms of cycle time (30 min) and subsequent vegetable drying efforts. UVC light sanitization is easy otherwise.

Supermarkets are doing this globally. This was Summer Hill Market in Toronto using a UVC conveyer: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAbTpM3lqrZ/

Solution levels:
a. Couch potato
b. Team Germophone - Permanent large volume sanitization
c. DIY junkie - medium volume sanitization

But before that - how long to sanitize? There are no easy answers. I am running 8-10 min cycles basis papers like these. Feel free to do as little or as more as you wish. I ensure that using a 10 to 15 min timer so that you can set it up and go do other things. Here is an example - switch it on and off via app without standing nearby. voila! https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07ZFPR7L5/

(a) is easy. Amazon and Flipkart have lots of vendors:
Use better brands like TRU-V sanitization bag which use UVC lights from Philips or Osram, not some generic no name company. Bulb is critical since you cannot judge UVC bulb quality by looking at it and UVC is very very harmful for your eyes.

Tru-V is very decent as per a friend who just bought it.
Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-whatsapp-image-20200606-7.19.36-pm.jpeg
Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-whatsapp-image-20200606-7.19.42-pm.jpeg

You need a box that's atleast 12x12x9 inches else you can't sanitize enough items or tall items like bread. See my tub for reference. The light must be high enough to spread all across.
Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-0_img_20200606_220959.jpg

Pros: Easy
Cons: Limited volume so you need to run multiple runs.

(b) is ideal. Set it up in a cupboard as done by BHPian outofthebox

Install a purpose built UVC tubelight (originally purchasable off AliExpress) in a cupboard as shown below:
Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-wp1591102901618.jpg

Here’s a few examples from an Amazon seller called Indetouch https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07L8CX9XY/ https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07L1NRRLT/
Please check the prices before you buy. Just sharing that as a reference. Ideally Google up and speak with them before you order.

To avoid the risk of inadvertent exposure, ideally you could include a pressure operated switch which switches off the light when the cabinet is opened.
Pros: Works for large volumes
Cons: Needs sufficient space

If you can't source that, see (c) below.

(c) - this happened on 18th May itself before anything else was available so it is the ugliest and most DIY and because cupboard takeover permission was unavailable from HQ.

you could use my setup below – I mounted the above setup on a 16×10″ chopping board. I will invert this into a Nestle or Amul milk packet crate if I can source a clean one. Currently it is mounted over a 17″ internal dia 10″ deep bucket.

It is basically Kent RO UVC sourced UVC lamp mounted on chopping board using self tapping screws and 0.75″ clamps.
Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-0_img_20200605_2015282.jpg

Ballast and AC-24V DC converter mounted on the backside (facing towards the user). The power supply has no slots to screw it firmly so we used 3M double sided tape and zip ties.
Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-0_img_20200605_2107082.jpg
Let there be (UV) light. DO NOT operate without covering it properly.
Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-0_img_20200605_2120362.jpg

How it is actually used, smothered by 3 layers of heavy towels and clothes. I will optimize this by next week.
Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-0_img_20200605_212218.jpg

Pros: Decent volume in ~2850 bucks basis Kent RO end customer prices. Purportedly it can cost under 1000 - ping your local RO shop for details.
Cons: Shroud is still messy and this is inelegant. Harder to store.

As with the other thread - this is more of an action oriented DIY thread for those who want to do something on their own, not for philosophical debate. I will not respond to any of those posts here - happy to take them on the main covid thread.

PS: Please note - this has been originally posted on my blog freerider dot in - sharing it here for DIYers of TBHP, lest someone wonder if that page is a copy!

Last edited by phamilyman : 7th June 2020 at 16:58.
phamilyman is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 02:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches

Nice. I had a UVC PLL tube and fitting that I have used previously so I was only too happy to put it to good use for sterilizing groceries during these covid times. I paired it with keeping the items in the sun on the balcony for as long as feasible.
Ive been planning on making some UVC sterilizing wand type things for my wife to use in the salon. Waiting for a particular shop to open in Mumbai to get what I need, tubes and fittings which are pretty much impossible to get now in Mumbai with the advent of LED tubes. If I don't get what I need then I was similarly planning to make something out of filter UV parts just as you have.

PS I don't think the UV tube in your cupboard is UVC Germicidal. It looks to be a blacklight UV. I similarly got bummed out that the Germicidal UV LEDs were also just blacklight UV otherwise my wand project would have been much easier.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 04:09   #3
BHPian

re: Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches

Nice DIY work @phamilyman, how do we ensure that the time to sterilize accurately which depends on light intensity and the fact that light has to reach all the surfaces is getting adhered to. I would be otherwise tempted to follow your route as commercial UVC sterilization boxes are costing a bomb these days. But some of their good side is that our regular protective gears like masks, etc can have an extended life if we UVC sterilize them than water or soap wash assuming UVC is working as expected.

I also believe we can extrapolate this thread to cover all sort of precautions we are taking for protecting ourselves at our homes.

For now I have resorted to following methods apart from stressing on hand sanitization or washing regularly which is NOT to be avoided under any circumstances

1. Mirah Belle Surface Disinfectant - Spray and auto dry out in air for commonly touched surfaces like door knobs, switches, etc. However it's main ingredient being Sodium Hypochlorite which is facing criticism nowadays I have resorted to the next ones

2. Chemtex Limited manufactured Alstasan Silvox 150 Mist - It is mild Hydrogen peroxide based body disinfectant that can be sprayed on groceries including vegetables and most importantly on clothes, skin with no bad effects. As we know Hydrogen Peroxide / bleech is main ingredient for sanitation booths and tunnels in many places of India including some airports.

3. Chemtex Limited manufactured Alstacol 25+ - Alcohol based surface disinfectant wherever you cannot use Silvox 150 like electronics including cell phones, frequently touched surfaces, etc. But its spray and wipe method and not just spray and evaporate only like the Mirah Belle surface disinfectant, but I am giving Alstacol 25+ a try in an effort to reduce Sodium Hypochlorite footprint at home.

4. Another Chemtex product which came with the family combo pack namely Alstatan II 256 - this one is a QAC (Quat Ammonia Compound) based floor cleaner which I read to be the ultimate in disinfecting but then the precautions to use seems a lot on individual protection side. So parked it for now, and will come back with its report after some days.

5. Dettol Antiseptic Liquid - A 2.5% dettol solution put in a spray bottle and used on pre washed cloth, toilet floors, etc wherever I am confused what else to use

One thing that everyone needs to be aware of is that if there are curious kids at home, everything from UVC to other chemicals must be kept out of their reach. Also the possession and use of such products should not bring a sense of negligence within oneself that you would neglect hand wash, social distancing and other precautions.

Here are links to the products I talked about, both are Indian companies and delivering across India

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B088F1D1V8/..._1Vw3EbY82WSF1

https://www.chemtexltd.com/shop/

And another mention which is like an accompaniment, some spray bottles and dispenser cap bottles of various sizes from Amazon to make using these convenient.

Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-img_20200606_210438.jpg

Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-img_20200606_210514.jpg

Last edited by haisaikat : 8th June 2020 at 04:17.
haisaikat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 09:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Guys, UV is not a DIY thing in my view.

It has severe possibility of mutating organic matter, while you may protect yourself from it, the food material is being exposed to it.

While I know where you guys are coming from, request you to do more research on this as I am not an expert and have spoken out of concern for fellow BHPians only.
2000rpm is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 12:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
PS I don't think the UV tube in your cupboard is UVC Germicidal. It looks to be a blacklight UV. I similarly got bummed out that the Germicidal UV LEDs were also just blacklight UV otherwise my wand project would have been much easier.
Fair point. passed on to our friend. I used the Kent RO standard replacement tube which is designed for the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Guys, UV is not a DIY thing in my view.
I am not an expert and have spoken out of concern for fellow BHPians only.
Thanks but chill sir. Did you really think someone who spent hours accumulating these links or getting the fitment done nicely would not have done the research? My first post mentioned the research link: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...rface_A_review

Why would I suggest something that was not well researched or not something I use myself at home?
Here's a sample research which summarizes decades of research
5-10 min is good for eliminating any bacteria. For just covid, I would surmise under a minute is safe enough to reduce concentration to levels that cannot affect you.
Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-u1.jpg

Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches-u2.jpg
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 13:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Food sanitization in the Covid era : Off the shelf, DIY & Cupboard approaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
...washing vegetables given the panic over covid.
You know the best way of sanitizing food in the Covid / rabid / plague / whatever-else-that-is-contagious era?

Cook it!
SS-Traveller is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 13:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

What some people dont realise is stuff like UV kills both types of living organisms. The bad... AND the good. What you then eat is sterile stuff.

A farmer i know uses his microwave for just one thing. Sterilizing starter soil for seedlings. He says the microwave does such a great job of killing everything, both the good and the bad, that the soil is perfectly sterile starter kit for his seedlings to start growing from. Ofcourse, he then adds organics to it to make the soil living again, minus the bad stuff.

Now imagine thats your food and you eating it.
Red Liner is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 15:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

While I appreciate your effort in setting this up and doing it, I personally feel this is a little too much. No offense meant to you.

Only care we take is wash the veggies in clean running water while wash the fruits a little more thoroughly as it will be consumed raw. Only additional thing we do is any bulk groceries that we order and gets delivered, we just keep it aside for couple of days before we unpack it and store them. And yes always keep hands clean especially after handling things bought outside.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 9th June 2020 at 15:23.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 17:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What some people dont realise is stuff like UV kills both types of living organisms. The bad... AND the good. What you then eat is sterile stuff.

A farmer i know uses his microwave for just one thing. Sterilizing starter soil for seedlings. He says the microwave does such a great job of killing everything, both the good and the bad, that the soil is perfectly sterile starter kit for his seedlings to start growing from. Ofcourse, he then adds organics to it to make the soil living again, minus the bad stuff.

Now imagine thats your food and you eating it.
Don't worry you don't need to eat fertile food. Besides the UV is only sterilizing the surface. We don't eat the skin of 99% of fruits and veggies so it's fine.
Old 9th June 2020, 17:14   #10
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

How it is actually used, smothered by 3 layers of heavy towels and clothes. I will optimize this by next week.
You can probably create a separate UV-cut glass chamber and install the light in there. Keep the cord a little longer and operate it from a distance.
Old 9th June 2020, 17:54   #11
BHPian

While it is good to be careful and take all precautions to reduce the possibility of infection.
However, I feel this is a bit too much. Please note that any virus can not survive on any surface for longer duration, it needs a live host to survive and multiply.
What we do is that the groceries that we bring in do not enter our kitchen, they go straight to our balcony and are left untouched for at least 24 hours. If there is anything that we want to consume immediately like a bag of chips, cold drinks, or a milk carton/ packet, we just give it a rinse with soapy water.
That is all there is to it. No need to go all rocket science high fandu here.
Same goes for frozen items like frozen paneer, peas, etc just a wash and rinse with soap and in the freezer.
The fresh veggies will ofcourse be cooked, so no risk there. If there is a salad item, then again no touching it until the next day.

Last edited by ishan12 : 9th June 2020 at 17:58.
ishan12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 18:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

As others have said - washing well and/or cooking properly is more than sufficient. No need to over-engineer and spend colossal effort on everything.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 18:26   #13
BHPian

I feel this is a tab overboard. Wash fruits, vegetables properly (not bananas, coconuts, obviously).
Apples/ fruits/ vegetables are washed properly in water and then dried and consumed only after 8 hours, raw, or else cooked properly before consumption.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 20:38   #14
BHPian

Since 20 years, we have been washing fruits and vegetables in a bucket of water to which 2-3 granules of potassium permanganate is added. Leave it for 15-20 mins followed by rinsing with plain water two times.
Cauliflower is washed in salt water followed by fresh water rinse.
akhil_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 20:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

We have it on medical authority that the best way to sterilise our vegetables is to cook them.

This does not take into account the fruits which will not be cooked, nor does it take into account handling. Remember that we often touch our faces, even when cooking (aside: I wonder if properly-trained chefs learn not to do this, even pre-virus?)

Some have given low-tech answers, and they seem to me to be enough. But for those who like a techie and/or DIY approach... why not!

Possibly interesting point: Koyambedu, Chennai's wholesale vegetable/fruit market became a major hub for person-to-person covid-19 infection and was closed down. Nobody ever mentioned taking any particular precautions with the produce, though. Oversight? Or because the likelihood of contagion by that method was not high?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks