Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2020, 10:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

USA: H1B visa aspirants might be in for a rough ride

Quote:
Nasscom, a lobby group for Indian IT companies, has urged the United States to exempt technology workers from any restrictions it may impose on visas. US enterprises that absorb these technology workers play a critical role in running the infrastructure of healthcare, hospitals and online services, it said. “Given this, we seek exemption for technology workers as essential workers, from any restrictions that may be imposed in a second White House Proclamation,” a Nasscom statement said.

This follows reports that the US administration of Donald Trump is considering suspending employment-based immigration visas, including the coveted H-1B visas that many Indians avail. The suspension proposal, the Wall Street Journal reports, is one of a series of legal immigration limits that Trump is considering as part of an executive action he is set to unveil in the coming weeks.
The suspension will not impact those already in the US and may exempt crucial sectors such as healthcare. In addition to the H-1B visa, the suspension could apply to the H-2B visa for short-term seasonal workers, the J-1 visa for short-term workers including camp counsellors and au pairs and the L-1 visa for internal company transfers, WSJ adds. Bloomberg reports the suspension could be in place for as long as 180 days, as Trump seeks to protect American workers from the economic shock of the pandemic.

The US issues 65,000 H-1B visas a year and an additional 20,000 for advanced degree H-1B visas. Over 70% of such visa holders are Indians. Over 184,000 Indians have applied for H-1B visas for the fiscal year 2021. Employment-based immigration visas are crucial for big and small Indian IT companies. Some firms that service US companies embed their employees in the latter, while bigger Indian IT firms have their own operations in the US. It is also essential for Indian professionals hired by American companies. Indian companies in the US such as Infosys and Wipro have increased their local hiring as immigration rules get tighter in the US.

The immigration restrictions could go beyond employment visas, say reports. The US is scaling back the Optional Practical Training programme that allows international students to work for a year on their student visas, thus providing a headstart in their nascent career.
USA: H1B visa aspirants might be in for a rough ride-screenshot-20200614-10.02.25-am.png

Source
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 00:16   #2
BHPian

Re: USA: H1B visa aspirants might be in for a rough ride

With the "new normal" post-Covid era (if I may say so), most technology related/dependent sectors have realized that they can function just as good if not better with their employees working remotely. Additionally, the increase in H1-B filing charges plus the legal fees towards immigration lawyers (I'm talking RFEs, etc.) would definitely force orgs to look at alternatives. The most adopted strategy would probably be to increase incentives for employees and have their work hours overlap that of US's (atleast East coast and Central isn't that tricky). Win-Win situation for the time being.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 16th June 2020 at 00:17.
nerd1200 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 19:44   #3
BHPian

What happens to H-1Bs that are under processing this year? Will they be abandoned? I managed to get through the lottery and my petition was filed earlier this month. Does the ban mean that my petition would be abandoned? Or they would resume processing once the ban is over?
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
What happens to H-1Bs that are under processing this year? Will they be abandoned? I managed to get through the lottery and my petition was filed earlier this month. Does the ban mean that my petition would be abandoned? Or they would resume processing once the ban is over?
Nothing is clear. Although it states that the ban applies to those who are out of USA.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 22:14   #5
BHPian

With the proclamation from yesterday by DJT, excepting a person who has an unexpired visa stamped on their passport, no new visa stamping will be done or even if done, will not be allowed to travel to the USA till end of year. All other processing stateside will continue.
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 16:43   #6
BHPian

Here is the full text of the executive order:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...irus-outbreak/
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 10:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
From what I hear from multiple friends better acquainted with this US immigration craze, it is most likely these will be embargoed and not be processed till further change/clarification in policy.
Old 25th June 2020, 10:39   #8
BHPian

The beneficiary in this scenario would be Canada which is openly welcoming qualified and experienced youngsters from USA. Not just the workers the employers too are considering moving across border as they can flourish without restrains from government over sourcing workers from other countries.
H1B Visa holders are initially required for setups which once established, generate employment and business that eventually benefits the citizens. Short sighted leaders do not see this or knowingly keep this away from Public view.
Old 1st July 2020, 18:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thousands of Indian couples, parents, kids separated, stranded after Trump’s H1B visa freeze

Quote:

About 375,000 temporary visaholders and green card applicants will now be banned from entering the U.S. until next year, according to Julia Gelatt, a senior policy analyst with the Migration Policy Institute, a nonpartisan research group. A significant number of those are now stuck in India, which has long had a close connection to Silicon Valley. The technology industry has consistently objected to the administration’s immigration restrictions, and Amazon.com Inc., Alphabet Inc. and Twitter Inc. immediately condemned the latest executive order, along with trade groups representing hundreds of other technology firms.

Indian tech companies have also urged the administration to reconsider its latest move. A major trade group from the country called it ” misguided and harmful to the U.S. economy.” Some Indian IT companies are considering alternatives to placing people on-site with U.S. clients, such as creating clusters of workers in countries like Mexico or Canada.
Source
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 18:53   #10
BHPian

The deadline for this uncertainty may be assumed till Elections and its result. Better to keep fingers crossed till such time.
Old 1st July 2020, 18:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Why include people who are up for renewal in the ban ? Only new visas should have been banned (I dont agree but its their prerogative).
With Covid impact and elections, this could be something until the new administration comes in. There are lot of L1 visas being used. Hope Trump doesnt know about them
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 19:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
There are lot of L1 visas being used. Hope Trump doesnt know about them
He may not have known earlier. But reading your post may make him wiser.

May I use this quote on this guy : A clever, ugly man every now and then is successful with the ladies, but a handsome fool is irresistible.
Old 7th July 2020, 21:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Now with students who attend online classes having to go back to their countries, the govt is trying to find reasons to suppress legal immigration as a whole

Image source: CNN
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/07/w...gbr/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
USA: H1B visa aspirants might be in for a rough ride-studentus.png  

srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 21:46   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm one of those who struck out pre-emptively and got the hell out of the US in 2017. All the mounting toxicity and xenophobia got to me mentally. During the 2016 election rallies when matters reached a fever pitch, random people would stop and ask me if I was working for an outsourcer, if I intended to go back home or not, was I sending home dollars etc.

I'm glad I'm not there any longer. To hell with money and riches - peace of mind is priceless.
locusjag is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 22:20   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

They are just being vocal for local , guess that's the thing now . Can't blame Trump for doing what his boss is asking him to do. Boss here being the silent majority who elected him.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks