Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 11:29   #31
BHPian

Re: R.I.P. Sushant Singh Rajput

Shocked and saddened by this news. He had a very likable personality that something casts a positivism about him.

Achievements have a short-term life span if the mental well being is not in good state, which i believe is directly related to having someone(s) very close in life and sharing the journey in raw, unpolished form( not what we see outside from media or through even social meetings). Family & friends comes after this but they cannot replace this close soul mates who are together ups and downs.

I can empathize and fully understand what many of these high achievers feels at the top. This lockdown phase had made matters worse for many and these folks are hit much harder. The loneliness has many forms, physical and mental. Sometimes people can be lonely while being surrounded by many. Its very difficult to share these feelings to anyone else and there is a huge stigma attached to it. Social media, which try to project, better forms of life and largely hides the lows, only adds to this pressure and further causes depression. Ultimately a feeling of belonging, loved and interdependence on every day life is what brings the positivism.

I personally know what it means and this lockdown has been major struggle to stay spirited. Its the 'Hope' that gives the strength to go on, keep fighting back to gain spirits up. May favorite quote is from the movie Matrix, where the Neo, in the final scene, gets told by the program that "Hope is the biggest strength and biggest weakness of Humans'

RIP Sushant, You are beloved and missed forever.
TurboOnTarmac is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:38   #32

Deeply saddened. Depression is so masked!! And is a silent killer. We should be more open to listen to peoples issues/problems than judging/ pushing them. Some people are too cased up in their shells to speak up. I sincerely hope spirituality and meditation is started in schools early on which might help a great deal.
acdcnippon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:59   #33
BHPian

Can't erase the sight of my cousin's suicide with her 1-year old crying by her side and trying to wake her up. She was the most cheerful person I've known.

Similarly, Sushant appeared confident in roles and real life. His dance performances on stage were electric as well - no sign of any mental illness on the outside but he must have gone through hell on the inside.

RIP Sushant. Hope you meet your loving mum on the other side.
JojyKerala is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:16   #34
KPR
BANNED

It's just surprising to hear this news of his death. Depression spreads negativity. A mere walk on along the streets of an Indian city/town/village can give one feel what is life and why he should be content with what he has. These news media spread the word 'depression', 'rape' etc ., so bad that it enters into the mind of teenagers and kids too. The best way to avoid depression is to stop reading internet news, stop watching news channels. Instead one can hear to AIR news in radio or watch DD national news if at all one should be updated on current affairs. Such news are useless to be delved into details.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:21   #35
BHPian

This is really sad. Do remember him from the days I saw him though casually in the television serial Pavitra Rishta and onwards. Watched two to three of his films, and began to see him as the boy who doubled up our image of MS Dhoni... Since the biopic, Dhoni has been both Dhoni and Sushant Singh Rajput!

Still, somehow one has had to take time to register and imagine Sushant so naturally into the general cultural dominion of the bollywood. It has been as though the world of Bombay cinema has little time for a person as Sushant and that he had to run and catch up (which he seemed to be doing with some convincing success). As this unfortunate incident comes across, it looks more so.

There seems to be something seriously wrong here; the universe of cinema is that of doing business in the bottom line, it is quite obsessed with competition, success and the crisis due to the lack of it, and so on. Like successes, It has stories of crises to narrate too.

Disha Salian too. I was recalling in the morning the day Divya Bharati was reported dead as she jumped from a building in the early 90s.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
A Dr. friend of mine had this to comment today upon seeing this May instagram post of his. " He's talking about dark energy etc here, clearly states his mental state was not in a good space if you think of it now retrospectively."

May his soul RIP!
Well, there can be an another explanation to this post on dark energy as he had a keen interest in universe/galaxies and had a Meade LX 600 Telescope at his home. Also, at one point of time he had an aspiration of becoming an astronaut and working for NASA.

Some screenshots shots from a video I saw of him today

R.I.P. Sushant Singh Rajput-e0a19b3ba50e4868a40f31397aaa8070.png

R.I.P. Sushant Singh Rajput-693be92de3b3460fbb287a1e02cd86ff.png

R.I.P. Sushant Singh Rajput-2bbd2b283d7a4270914b992ad2597b7d.png

R.I.P. Sushant Singh Rajput-aa57caa1ee194c0896d0373cec4ddac6.png
SnS_12 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

There was this news report that he is the only Indian to own a plot on the moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Well, there can be an another explanation to this post on dark energy as he had a keen interest in universe/galaxies and had a Meade LX 600 Telescope at his home. Also, at one point of time he had an aspiration of becoming an astronaut and working for NASA.
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 12:46   #38
BHPian

He seemed so believable, living proof of achieving success if you put yourself in it. The guy who read and wrote so much didn't even write a suicide note? We won't know the real story, some say he was in a financial problem, while we see him donate crores not a long time back. The despicable behaviour of the news channels in this time of grief for the family is the lowest they have fallen recently.
Old 15th June 2020, 13:10   #39
BHPian

I, being a doctor, have seen cases of depression from close quarters. Will share few pointers for everyone.

I have seen strangers, as well as people known to me, who seems joyful in the afternoon but found out at the deep end of depression next day morning (Not stating stuff about steps they have taken for obvious reasons). Luckily all of them were able to get through this.
I would bring to everyone's notice that 90% of them were well off financially.

And please let me make you understand this, meeting the same person again next time and seeing them happy, confuses you regarding what is going on within them.
The person who is having depression issues doesn't even care to remember what they have done in the past and they will try to take that extreme step again.

All this incident have shaken me too from within.

Go through following points so that one may be able to find out the warning signs :

1. A depressed person will try hard to show a cheerful face everytime when he or she meets you. If its your best friend, and you are aware about the personal turmoil in their lives, better ask them to open up before it is too late. Sometimes just opening up to someone solves the problem. Don't think that it is his problem and you can't in anyway solve it.
- Never get shy from asking your friends about the problems they are facing.

2. Depressed people will run away from opening up to best friends and families because they are afraid that they might be judged for the same. They will easily let go off their emotions to any strangers whom they know virtually but never met personally. It's a human mindset and there's nothing wrong about it.
A site like Teambhp can help in such situations. Except for few people whom we know personally over here, 'the real we' are hiding behind our usernames. This can be put to advantage as a particular section can be opened up where the default username for everyone will be 'Anonymous 1', 'Anonymous 2'. A bot can allot a username based on the login ID used.
- Opening up to unknown person is easier for a person who is on edge. Make provisions for them.
Think about this : Why are alcohol anonymous and suicide helplines helpful in preventing person from taking extreme steps? Anonymous is the word.

3. Never ever tell someone that "It is alright, don't worry, everything will be back to normal. Lets have some drink and party."
Remember, nothing is alright for the person going through depression. Just don't underestimate the situation that the person is into.
If you can't help or say something, just stay quiet. Find someone who can help that person. Parties and drinks can wait.
- Underestimating a person's problems will be a disaster. Stay quiet, if you don't have anything better to say.

4. Financial problems can be taken care of somehow. One can always help the person find a suitable job if we start calling up people in our contact lists. There's is always a silver lining somewhere.
- Call up old friends, patch up your old rivalries and help find the person in distress find some jobs somewhere. Yes again we at Teambhp from various fields can help out.
Make a section in this website for job offers from members. Apologies if such section already exists. If yes, keep it permanently on a corner of the homepage. You never know, but one can prevent a life from leaving this world prematurely.

5. If one can't help out with other person's problems, guide them to a counseller. The affected person might not agree to face a counselor fearing the way society might look upto them. Call up the counselor yourself and ask for the ideas by which you can cajole the affected person to somehow reach his chamber. A home counselor is also available.
- Counselling a person by a professional is absolutely necessary if one cannot handle the situation correctly and the affected person is constantly depressed.

I myself am not perfect and members can always help by adding few points that they might consider useful.

Apologies for the long post. A 5 minute read of this post will help you save someone.

Regards.
DrCar is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 13:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
Off topic post

Do we have a thread on depression? If not, can we start one about How to keep a check on our mental state and ways to tackle depression.

Thanks.
A good suggestion, however I feel we should leave this to experts. The reason I say it is because there are thousands of people who read our threads and follow several of our members. Let us focus on spreading joy by sharing expertise on automobiles and our stories and experiences. As they say, half knowledge is like a two edged sword, may end up harming the weilder..
samee_arian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 13:23   #41

There are some losses which can never be explained with words. This is one such. There is not doubt about Sushant's capability or his talent and he will be dearly missed but he has given provided everyone with some wonderful work, which will keep him alive in everyone's heart. R.I.P

While the year 2020 has been filled with such losses and incidents here and across the world, we also need to realize that it is giving us all something to think about, not just for us and our lives but for our family and friends and the whole community. Things that can impact the times ahead for us and our future generations. Some which came to my mind, i would like to note down below:

1. Never look down on someone who comes to speak about their problem to you. Their problem might not mean anything to us but we listening to them would mean the world to them.

2. Depression is a mental condition and even worse than some terminal illness in some cases because there is always medication for the later whereas people hide their feelings when they feel low most of the time due to fear of how they would be perceived and specially because of how depression is perceived in our society.

3. Like how we empathize with things we know and understand (eg. cancer), we should expand our mind to be able to do the same for things we do not understand, like depression. Being in a state of denial can cause someone to take drastic measures when they no longer can use "denial" as an excuse.

4. If a 190 year old dictionary can change the meaning of the word racism, even we should change our outlook towards color. If we see someone those who cannot, we should convince them to reserve their sentiment to themselves because realize this, children at home pick up things faster than the speed of light. If they hear us and form an such an idea in their minds using any such parameters as covered by this word, we will have to wait another generation till the change happens.

5. We've all respected our domestic help in some way or the other during the time of lockdown yet i know cases where, at the time of paying salary, they have hesitated. Those privileged to still have jobs will not become poor by paying them but for those receiving their salary in these tough times, it will give them hope. Yes there will always be some who might not be thankful but here, i always believe we should look up to the following quote: "The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching."

Last edited by gopal.nishant89 : 15th June 2020 at 13:29. Reason: fixing spacing.
gopal.nishant89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 13:38   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
He was a physics enthusiast. A National Level Physics Olympiad winner. He also stood 7th all India rank in AIEEE. What a contrast to dumb celebrities we are used to.
JediKnight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 13:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Very tragic and unfortunate demise. He was very good looking and one of very few actors with those chiseled model-like looks. Wonder what prompted a very young, rich, handsome and successful man such as himself to commit suicide. R.I.P.

Personal issues aside, this lockdown has come down hard on youngsters. If you are young successful man or woman in your mid-20s to mid-30s, chances are 9 out of 10 that you are a party animal. People of this group are worst hit. Staying indoors. No pub-hopping, clubbing, partying, socializing. The only people at ease with life now are the recluse, loner, introvert types. They must be laughing at our predicament. As in revenge of the nerds. The adage "meek will inherit the earth" sounds true. Whatever, 2020 is one year we want to put behind us and move on.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 14:20   #44
BHPian

A young excellent actor gone too soon. May his soul rest in Peace.

Mental health as an illness has not been addressed as other illnesses which is sad. There is a stigma attached to disclosing that one is suffering from depression which is again has to be blamed on the society.For each loss of life due to mental health humanity as a whole is responsible. An illness is given importance only if it has a medicine or the patient has to be hospitalised. Mental health is dismissed by simple saying he/she is mad or eccentric etc

It needs a different kind of treatment which could be showing empathy to the affected person.Just being supportive to that person can go a long way.Spiritual healing is also a good remedy.

We rarely see anyone saying I am suffering from depression. It is only after they have come out of it they open up.

Bollywood is a difficult place to survive especially if you are not from the inner circle i.e. Bollywood family. Outsiders like SSR find it tough and when they succeed still they are not accepted in the inner circle. Kangana Ranaut has spoken about this often. Nepotism is a malady which afflicts Bollywood.

The show industry brings with it its own repercussions where you need to look good talk sense whenever you are in front of the camera or in public.Then there is the pressure of having a certain type of lifestyle. When the going gets tough a person gets affected mentally.Then if you don't have family or friends to fall back on its difficult to survive.They fall on artificial substances to address the problem.

The media coverage of the death of SSR has been like how it has been every time. There is no point in blaming the media. They are in a business and they need to keep finding ways to earn maximum eyeballs which result in ads and revenue. There is no fine line in media.

The images of the actor's dead body lying in his bedroom were all over wahtsapp and twitter. Though none of us would have done the insensitive thing of forwarding/retweeting those images but we did see them. Dint we not consume an appealing piece of information?All of us are part of media. Those who post as well as those who consume.

Hence no point in outraging over the media coverage.
sameer sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 15:14   #45
BHPian

Young soul departed too early, really saddened by this news.

Success isn't came to him by any easy mean, nor he was born in the family with TV or cinema background. He made his carrier by sheer hardwork and must have encountered ups and downs of life before testing success. He is the person who risen from nothing and made his place in film industry and got name and fame - And hence mind is just not believing the person like him who shown so much of resilience will depart like this. Hope law may take its course and find the truth. While he left this world, he leaves and big question for everyone -
"Why?"

May the departed soul RIP.

Last edited by speed_edge : 15th June 2020 at 15:18.
speed_edge is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed