Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 14:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Cycle sales on the rise in Bangalore post lockdown

In my opinion, electric powered bicycles should also be promoted. It is a clean and healthy way towards mobility.
Pkumarblore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 16:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Well count me as one of the people who bought the cycle in this lock down and started cycling.
Attachment 2016921
Well congratulations! Wishing you many cycling miles! Indeed the cycle stores/sections are a packed lot these days, having visited some last week. Not only the stand alone/locality shops are running out of stocks, but this trend is evident at Decathlon too.

I was keeping a track of one of their hybrid bike models and most of the Delhi stores were out of stock in the first week of opening up. Even though they give you the option of pre-ordering & store pick-up and delivering at home, still would have wanted to have try at it before buying it.

Ultimately ended up buying from a locality store. Now hoping to make good use of it! Attaching the customary first day shot
Attached Thumbnails
Cycle sales on the rise in Bangalore post lockdown-img20200614wa00031.jpg  

Diesel_Drives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 18:05   #18
BHPian

So i had to exchange something i picked up from Decath precovid, I obviously didn't get any opportunity to carry out the exchange during the lockdown so i decided to get it done this weekend. To my surprise, there was a 30 minute wait time to get into the store and the parking was full. Hay days for many businesses specially personal fitness
Old 17th June 2020, 18:23   #19
BHPian

Am in the market for one, gyms are shut as you all know and my lack of lifting is seriously annoying me.

I detest jogging and walking is lame (it's boring), so want to get into casual cycling, like an hour a day.

Can any cycling aficionado recommend a basic entry level cycle, sub 10k budget.
Old 17th June 2020, 18:24   #20
BHPian

Cycling is certainly among the more sustainable ways of transport in the future. As mentioned by a lot of BHPians the Indian government has not paid much attention to developing safe ways for people to use a bicycle.

In Delhi I filed several RTI's to find out that there are actually scores of cycle tracks in the city - specially in Lutyen's Delhi. Tracks were also built during the Asian Games in 1982 and then again during the Commonwealth Games in 2010 - but those tracks have either been taken over as parking, hawking, etc or have not been maintained effectively so that they have become redundant.

I resumed cycling after 23 years in 2006. I worked as a photographer with a magazine and used to cycle to office (8km one way) with my camera bag in all seasons except the monsoon. The cycle became my main mode of travel even to distant places in the city for meetings and assignments.
dileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 18:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

My case is slightly different. I had bought a bicycle from Decathlon about a year back. It is a very basic single speed urban commuter cycle. After buying it, I used it couple of times, then parked it in the basement. And there it lay, gathering dust, until this pandemic hit.
Now that I am working from home full time, with no real need to be physically present in the office, I have adjusted my schedule to make time to cycle every day. So, might not be a new sale, but certainly new usage!
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 18:44   #22
BHPian

I love cycling. Infact I have a mountain bike (kms away in other home). The only thing that concerns me is the mask. People wearing masks and cycling seems to be very dangerous. Lack of proper oxygen and airflow can cause dizziness. I only wear masks when I am near human beings. In cars, my windows are acting as a barrier.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 19:42   #23
BHPian

Do yourselves a favour and don't buy any expensive cycle or one with flashy colours. You will face the same issues as you would, when you take out an expensive bike. People sitting on the cycle, people scratching the paint for God knows what reason. I have even seen people trying to pull off the seat post!!

Buy a cycle at around 10k(even pre used will do)and trash it around. If the interest still persists beyond the initial use and euphoria you can upgrade to a lighter and expensive cycle.
Neo18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 02:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
According to a media report, sales of cycles have gone up in Bangalore.

It is said that enquires for cycles have gone up by 60% compared to pre-lockdown days. 50% of the enquiries are reported to have been converted to sales.

A cycle store typically stocks cycles ranging from Rs. 6,000 to Rs. 80,000. However, replenishing stocks sold could be an issue as there have been no shipment of cycles for the past 3 months.

Most customers pick up entry-level bicycles as they want to get into cycling for exercise after sitting at home during the lockdown. The trend has been picking up as gyms and swimming pools are closed and as commuters are trying to avoid using public transport.
[/b]
As someone who has jumped onto the cycling bandwagon amidst the lockdown, I can confirm that the interest in cycling and consequently the demand for cycles has gone through the roof in the UK.

Most online retailers (Decathlon, Halfords, Evans Cycles) are constantly having to restock due to massive demand. Especially over the weekends, there are very long queues throughout the day at bicycle shops, with people lined up to either buy a cycle/accessories OR to get their cycle fixed.

It could be me noticing other cyclists (which I wouldn't probably notice when I drive my car!), but there are significantly more number of cyclists on the streets of London. More so over the weekend in central London, where many roads are filled with cyclists.

I have been quite active over the past month of ownership of my Emu Crossbar cycle and have clocked just over 300 miles!

Cycle sales on the rise in Bangalore post lockdown-emu-odo.jpeg

Now that I am getting comfortable doing about 10 miles a day (without pedal assist), I am contemplating riding to work once we start going back to the office, which could be a few months later. The commute from home (West London) to the office (Central London) is about 10 miles. Weather permitting, I plan to give it a shot and ride to work instead of taking the Tube (London Underground/metro). The only thing I need to look at before I decide is a safe bike locker near the office. With bike thefts happening at an unbelievably high rate (especially in London), I cannot even think of leaving the bike chained up to a bike stand all day.
51morris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 07:56   #25
BHPian

Near to where I stay, a bike repair shop is inundated with people getting their unused bikes repaired. Waiting time is at least a week. In my neighborhood, it is now fairly common to see entire family of 4-5 on their bikes during the evening hours.
And there are more people with professional equipment doing their runs on the relatively less crowded streets.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:56   #26
BHPian

I agree. Had to wait around 20 mins to get into the Decathlon store this week. Came as a surprise to me.

Cycle sales on the rise in Bangalore post lockdown-img20200613163130.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
People wearing masks and cycling seems to be very dangerous.
It is dangerous, yes. But I also used to wear a mask while cycling earlier in the year before the pandemic hit, due to the pollution and the dust on our roads. It is difficult, yes, but it's better than:
a) having to inhale fumes from trucks etc
b) policemen trying to touch, stop and reprimand me

I for one, definitely don't wear it for the virus (atleast while cycling).
Old 18th June 2020, 10:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Am in the market for one, gyms are shut as you all know and my lack of lifting is seriously annoying me.

Can any cycling aficionado recommend a basic entry level cycle, sub 10k budget.
Btwin Mybike is the most popular and cost efficient option for anyone getting into cycling. I think it costs around 5 K and is Decathlon in house brand. Best option for someone starting off for casual use.

I was fed up of not being able to get back into the lifting routine myself, and bought a basic set of dumbells which I use at home till such time that gyms reopen. Even though they are much lighter than what I would do in the gym, it is still something and gives some mental satisfaction.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 17:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Btwin Mybike is the most popular and cost efficient option for anyone getting into cycling. I think it costs around 5 K and is Decathlon in house brand. Best option for someone starting off for casual use.

I
Thanks will look it up and yeah I think I should pick up a pair of 10's at least. Like you said, I just need the satisfaction of doing some lifting.

I tried lifting 2 buckets of water but the ergonomics are horrible.
Old 19th June 2020, 12:38   #29
BHPian

Nowadays many are cycling on the roads, I see cyclists on the expressway/ service roads in Noida. I have got my mountain bike which is a gt aggressor 2.0 repaired and am now doing 20km a day!

I do not wear a mask while cycling but carry one for emergencies. The video below explains why a mask isn't really needed for some outdoor activities.

jayanttalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 15:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Decathlon sold out everything. Grabbed the only last piece that was remaining
Attached Thumbnails
Cycle sales on the rise in Bangalore post lockdown-img_8832.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks