Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you boycott Chinese products?
Yes 92 62.59%
No 55 37.41%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2020, 13:54   #91
BHPian

Re: India-China Rivalry!

A few of points

1. The boycott china is symbolic. Even the mahatma once said boycott British cloths and wear swadeshi. The call did its part in creating a collective awareness about exploitation of indian markets by the then rulers. Now , we need to come to gather and take a stand. Economy stings everyone, especially china.

2. People are different from governments they elect or are subject to. The Chinese that i have seen are one the most hardworking, smart people that i have ever met. Tell me one period in history when they were not under a dictatorship. The same can be said of Russia. Sometimes it is democracy that is poison to certain cultures. I don't think that majority of Chinese yearn for freedom. The average person , regardless of citizenship, is only concerned about his welfare and is willing to forgo some freedom for his well being and i am sure china is doing pretty well on that front. There is a talk that Iraq was better off under Saddam. This quote from Orson Wells in the movie the Third Man summarizes it all :

"In Italy, for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had 500 years of democracy and peace - and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

3. The days of using an army for defense is over. When was the last time US used its army for defense?. The army now is a tool to protect your economic influence. The Chinese are doing what the US taught the world. It maintains bases around the world mainly to protect its economic interest. Its base in Saudi is a point in study. If ever the Saudis start opposing the US interest in the region , then all bets are off. The US for its part never tolerated a threat. Even a distant second.
srini1785 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 13:56   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post

Yes, continuing to buy Chinese products is indeed unpatriotic, I cannot fathom how this is being understood otherwise by esteemed members.
And that's where you cross the line. You don't decide what patriotism is and then take that as a measure to judge others.
kiku007 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 14:04   #93
Senior - BHPian

The hegemonic desires of Xi and his party has come to the fore. Xi must be feeling like a modern era "Genghis Khan" with 'absolute power' consolidated around himself. Following the Covid 19 pandemic any nation from where it had originated would have been on the back foot, not Xi. He's been at his aggressive best following the Wuhan Virus. Building islands of sand in the South China Sea, saber rattling with his Navy, putting down HK protests with an Iron Fist. Wonder why the Chinese don't have border squabbles with Russian Federation?? The only way is for a groundswell of public discontent in China that should overthrow XI and the CPC. China is biggest "loan shark" the world has known. It needs to be taught a lesson and people should boycott Chinese goods and software.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 18th June 2020 at 14:06.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 14:11   #94
BHPian

There is a need to de-bollywood important stuff like economics and politics.

1. When you start thinking about long term strategy, please also look at how systems work so plans are built on top of reality.
Every country has a Trade department. Suffice to say that they look at balance of trade.

So China has lets say 50% of electronics and hi tech stuff exported to India, and have say 50% of crap exported to India. The theme going on in Social media generally is that
a) we cant live without electronics and hi tech, so we will continue to consume in a reduced way.
b) we will get rid of all the crap stuff.
c) our Exports to China will continue.
d) We will build our own high tech stuff in due course.

This works in Movies, but it needs Chinese Trade department to be sleeping. You cannot disrupt trade one way or the other without repercussions. Think of it this way, Dec 2020, Trade Ministry in China is checking the numbers of trade and see a sudden drop from June in some crap stuff.

Choices can be made certainly, but one should think deep into the future when arriving at conclusions about policy.

2. I got the Twitter thread about the businessman and Chinese imports story at least 5 times today.
Yes, they do that. So, what should be done now ?
All cases in Indian courts to ease Trade laws can be traced back to businessmen. So now we heckle them and torture them to see if there is a Chinese connection somewhere ?
I am certain you can find a Russian business trying that, and US business trying that and many other countries. Indian market is giant and everybody wants trade in India. Many Indian businessmen try to diffuse the complicated trade laws to suit their business interests. Now we go after every case now ?
ashokrajagopal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 14:25   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

This boycott China chant everytime there is a border skirmish is idiotic and a superbly crafted way to deflect from the actual issue at hand. The idea that boycotting Chinese goods is the only way to show your patriotism to the country- just one article from my end. I hope it clears many pores of clogged thinking.

Yes, the bulletproof jackets that our soldiers wear is from China. Should I need to say anything more here ??

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...952-2019-06-02

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 18th June 2020 at 14:54.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 14:43   #96
Mik
BHPian

I didn't vote as my stand is nuanced on this.

Do I have anything against Chinese companies in India? No. Apparently neither are startups being funded by them and scores of government projects being done by Chinese companies.

Would I preferably buy an equally capable Indian brand at the same price range as a Chinese? Yes! Yes! Yes!

Would I buy an inferior Indian product - Nope!

Am I concerned about the privacy issue with Chinese Apps ? Definitely.

I am concerned that this anti-China sentiment will start affecting NE/Ladakhi folks. (Remember they were being called 'corona')
I don't think de-globalisation can be achieved and I don't think its required. What is required is the efforts of the government to ensure and if required enforce - Peace.
Mik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 15:42   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
1. Throw all Chinese companies out
2. Recall all Indian citizens
3. Shut down the indian embassy in China
4. Evict all Chinese citizens from India
5. Invest fully into Make in India for everything. Recycle the money within the economy.
6. Shut all borders to China
7. Make it a priority to enter the UNSC in the next 12 months on a war footing, pun intended.
8. Repeat all points above for Pakistan.
This is dream selling or were you kidding? This is not North Korea vs South Korea.

Quote:

Government cannot ban Chinese products because we are signatories to WTO - so stop passing the buck to government too.
So government cannot ban, but government can stop giving contracts to Chinese companies, have they? Doklam happened in 2017, has anything changed since?

"At a time when India is facing Chinese aggression along the LAC in Ladakh, reportedly losing 60 sq km of its land to China, the Narendra Modi-led government on June 12 granted a contract worth Rs 1,126 crore to a Chinese multinational construction company – Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Co. Ltd. (STEC)"

Link--> https://www.nationalheraldindia.com/...-lac-in-ladakh

"Bronze cladding in the form of Bronze plate which constitutes 9% of the total value of Statue of Unity is sourced from China. The total value of building that statue is around 3000 crore.

Link--> https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65980312.cms

A Chinese manufacturer has delivered Metro Trains for the Nagpur Metro.

Link--> https://www.urbantransportnews.com/c...-rail-project/

There are many more such examples, I don't have the energy to google all of them.

To be this boycott China or Pakistan ko Mu Tod Javab is all smoke screens to hide the terrible mis-governance, inefficiencies and total failure of the government in handling everything in this country, the latest being Covid and China.

Quote:
Yes, continuing to buy Chinese products is indeed unpatriotic, I cannot fathom how this is being understood otherwise by esteemed members. Almost every chinese company is indirectly state owned - which implies - the profits we give them, pays for the bullets that kill Indians.

Now, you want to not see this fact, fine, but then don't say its okay.

This is not political stance, this is about supporting local industry.
Please leave lower middle class and lower middle class diaspora out of this. We are suffering from job losses, we are suffering from higher fuel prices when I know crude is at its lowest, lockdowns, pay cuts, businesses going down everywhere because of demonetization (My fathers textile business is shut ever since demo happened and then GST decimated it) and many such ever changing scenarios, we don't have the money to sponsor your patriotism. I will buy whatever pleases my budget and needs.

And no one needs to teach anyone what is patriotic or not patriotic is, if you think buying Chinese is unpatriotic then the GOI is anti national too and if you think buying an MI phone or power bank makes me unpatriotic then I am proud of buying that for my parents of a cousin or myself and be labeled as anti-national, I am cool with that tag.

Its my dream to buy a DJI Mavic 2 someday, where in DJI stands for Dà-Jiāng Innovations, its a Shenzhen based company and its price is 1 lakh odd rupees. Some of my friends have got phones which are higher priced than this, but for me its still a dream to be able to spend 1 lakh rupees on my passions and no local/vocal will stop me from buying it as whatever I do, a large contract will go to a Chinese firm from India and here I will be sitting and killing my dreams, not happening.

Last edited by humyum : 18th June 2020 at 15:50.
humyum is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 15:59   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
This is dream selling or were you kidding? This is not North Korea vs South Korea.

Its my dream to buy a DJI Mavic 2 someday, where in DJI stands for Dà-Jiāng Innovations, its a Shenzhen based company and its price is 1 lakh odd rupees. Some of my friends have got phones which are higher priced than this, but for me its still a dream to be able to spend 1 lakh rupees on my passions and no local/vocal will stop me from buying it as whatever I do, a large contract will go to a Chinese firm from India and here I will be sitting and killing my dreams, not happening.
Good to know your public position on this situation. Thankfully India is a free country,where you can do and speak as you wish. Our neighbours, not so much. In fact, not at all.

Good luck with your DJI purchase.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 16:07   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is already established that electronic components, automobile components/parts, home appliance components etc are almost 100% china sourced - so why harping on this point ??
So is it just lip service - everybody says 'boycott China' and continue using Chinese products? Actions don't seem to match the talk here.
Quote:
Government cannot ban Chinese products because we are signatories to WTO - so stop passing the buck to government too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Govt cant do it since there will be repercussions at WTO or other formal levels.
Didn't Trump ban Huawei? Didn't India ban Malaysian palm oil import? Aren't Pakistan artists, players banned? Why bother about WTO when your border is at stake? For me, this argument is being made as a bail-out excuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
We can do this to whatever extent we can.
We can but the truth is India needs China than other way around. Even China knows this. Hence the request to stop lip service and get started on concrete action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Rather than than calling for a boycott of Chinese goods, maybe we should work on our skills.
Well said. Chinese bought bullet trains from Japan, Europe, reverse engineered them, manufactured them and now have the largest bullet network in the world. Govt has to plan on such projects. For starters, Atlas cycles closed down when there is increased demand for cycles. How about making it a world-class company? We have business acumen class & modern MBA grads in our country.
Quote:
People taking the meaning of boycott china to an extreme to make it sound ridiculous; and thus justify their own continued purchases or their own opinion on this subject.
These are the apps under the radar which Indian citizens have to uninstall to hurt Chinese Govt. I have heard of 2 or 3 of these apps and none are installed on my phone. So I am not making an argument for the sake of an argument.

* TikTok, Vault-Hide, Vigo Video, Bigo Live, Weibo
* WeChat, SHAREit, UC News, UC Browser
* BeautyPlus, Xender, ClubFactory, Helo, LIKE
* Kwai, ROMWE, SHEIN, NewsDog, Photo Wonder
* APUS Browser, VivaVideo- QU Video Inc
* Perfect Corp, CM Browser, Virus Cleaner (Hi Security Lab)
* Mi Community, DU recorder, YouCam Makeup
* Mi Store, 360 Security, DU Battery Saver, DU Browser
* DU Cleaner, DU Privacy, Clean Master – Cheetah
* CacheClear DU apps studio, Baidu Translate, Baidu Map
* Wonder Camera, ES File Explorer, QQ International
* QQ Launcher, QQ Security Centre, QQ Player, QQ Music
* QQ Mail, QQ NewsFeed, WeSync, SelfieCity, Clash of Kings
* Mail Master, Mi Video call-Xiaomi, Parallel Space
Quote:
Yes, continuing to buy Chinese products is indeed unpatriotic, I cannot fathom how this is being understood otherwise by esteemed members.
Walk the talk has to start from top. Indian Govt must first stop clearing Chinese origin goods at the customs. Why is that responsibility of figuring out the origin shifted to citizens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
1. Throw all Chinese companies out
2. Recall all Indian citizens
3. Shut down the indian embassy in China
4. Evict all Chinese citizens from India
5. Invest fully into Make in India for everything. Recycle the money within the economy.
6. Shut all borders to China
7. Make it a priority to enter the UNSC in the next 12 months on a war footing, pun intended.
8. Repeat all points above for Pakistan.
We definitely can. But none of them can be done by citizens like you & me.

Last edited by msdivy : 18th June 2020 at 16:23.
msdivy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 16:42   #100
BHPian

Despite not being a right-wing leaning guy, I actually do support any effort that makes our Country more self sufficient at the end. Even if it won't make a significant dent to the Chinese economy sometimes the message is more important.

But, I do expect the Government to stand by its citizens and take a stand on this issue and not just use their sophisticated IT cell to post Social media campaigns.

What i don't like however, is retards on the internet who think they have the right to award patriotism certificates to the fellow citizens based on their personal view of what should be an ideal Indian citizen.

While I support any effort to make our country more self-sufficient and remove us from the influence of Chinese government I don't expect any of my fellow citizens to support me. I am certainly not arrogant/stupid enough to demand it.

After all, do our soldiers standing guard at the border demand that other Indian's do so too? Some of these online nazis need to learn how to respect other choices and stop thinking of the Indian citizenship as their family heirloom.
JithinR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 16:43   #101
BHPian

Hating another country is not patriotism, loving yours is.
I agree you can certainly show love for your country by helping it's economy.

I show my love by paying tax for every bit of my income. In fact, I happily disclose things that are not in TDS as well. Buying Chinese products give import duty directly to Government. So I have no guilt in doing that.

When I buy a locally manufactured product, neither I get the quality nor I know what Government gets out of that. Someone's pocket become fatter at my cost. And when his pocket is so damn fat, he will either become a politician or influence politician.
When large portion of citizens evade tax, what patriotism are we talking about?
I don't think except our military, anyone else know the real meaning of that word. We are all brainwashed in one way or other.

Please don't mix boycott propaganda with patriotism.
sj_koova is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 17:10   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I didn't vote as my stand is nuanced on this.
My stand is some what similar.

Quote:
Do I have anything against Chinese companies in India? No. Apparently neither are startups being funded by them and scores of government projects being done by Chinese companies.
I honestly do have nothing against the people of China, but, the govt there, I consciously started to avoid things Chinese made since Covid-19 and China chose to keep mum about it, heck, even death figures I assume were tampered with.

Quote:
Would I preferably buy an equally capable Indian brand at the same price range as a Chinese? Yes! Yes! Yes!
Of course yes.

Quote:
Would I buy an inferior Indian product - Nope!
No, but here, I would prefer to buy a non Chinese stuff if available. If not, grin & bear it.

Quote:
I am concerned that this anti-China sentiment will start affecting NE/Ladakhi folks. (Remember they were being called 'corona')
This is what gets my goat, the NE / Sikkimese / Nepalese are one of the most wonderful people you would come across. My rides were mostly to Nepal, North Bengal, Sikkim, but now, I have to content with riding within India and this sucks.

I hate them being called by different names, calling my country men by any derogatory name is just not done, but then we label everyone. But, they are more harshly treated and I object to this regionalism bias.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 17:11   #103
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
On a lighter vein, the way things are unfolding I'm sure by now memes would've started to come on not only boycott Chinese goods but Chinese foods too. No. I can't give up Noodles, Manchurians and Fried rice. They're awesome and break the montony of Indian Dal, Subzis.
Guess what? The govt. ministers are already on it.

https://ishare.rediff.com/video/othe...awale/11110315
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 17:15   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
So is it just lip service - everybody says 'boycott China' and continue using Chinese products? Actions don't seem to match the talk here.

Didn't Trump ban Huawei? Didn't India ban Malaysian palm oil import? Aren't Pakistan artists, players banned? Why bother about WTO when your border is at stake? For me, this argument is being made as a bail-out excuse.
We can but the truth is India needs China than other way around. Even China knows this. Hence the request to stop lip service and get started on concrete action.
Well, I am sure you know the answer. We are not US, nor is China a Malaysia or Pakistan !
There will be tit for tat if govt does something. I will follow up my talk with actions as much as possible We are talking about economic aspects, a bit also helps.

As regards to food, I dont see Chinese preparing the desi versions.

Last edited by srishiva : 18th June 2020 at 17:17.
Old 18th June 2020, 17:28   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Hating another country is not patriotism, loving yours is.
I agree you can certainly show love for your country by helping it's economy.

I show my love by paying tax for every bit of my income. In fact, I happily disclose things that are not in TDS as well. Buying Chinese products give import duty directly to Government. So I have no guilt in doing that.

When I buy a locally manufactured product, neither I get the quality nor I know what Government gets out of that. Someone's pocket become fatter at my cost. And when his pocket is so damn fat, he will either become a politician or influence politician.
When large portion of citizens evade tax, what patriotism are we talking about?
I don't think except our military, anyone else know the real meaning of that word. We are all brainwashed in one way or other.

Please don't mix boycott propaganda with patriotism.

Man, you are trying so hard to justify how the chinese items are "deep rooted" in YOUR life and how you prefer them. Why waste the time?. Just keep doing it? Nobody is going to stop you but don't give different colour to the conversation and portray how special you are just because you pay the taxes. I am sure almost everyone on the forum pays the taxes one way or another. Also, the idea behind the boycott (which can never be 100 % successful ) is to see wherever possible try giving preference to the other products than China owned products. E.g. For my broadband connection, Airtel gave me Huawei router. I am replacing that with D-Link or other. I am sure you understand the difference between the chinese company and made in china products. We just have to do our bit.
hondafanboy is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks