Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you boycott Chinese products?
Yes 92 62.59%
No 55 37.41%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 09:49   #1
BHPian

India-China Rivalry!

With latest China India conflict at the Border, what should be our response to this. First of all India has been transparent and has given the casualties count. On the other hand we do not know the casualties on Chinese side. Not that it matters but both countries should restrain from further escalations.

China on all fronts fighting some or the other battle
1. Covid 19, PR issues, racial issues in western countries due to Covid
2. Hong Kong
3. Taiwan
4. Human Rights etc

Now coming to our response can we do something as citizens of India to put pressure on China at least with respect to Trade?
Can we really stop buying Chinese products ?
Can we stop using already bought products ?
Where ever I see I see made in China written, let it be phone, laptop, mouse, keyboard and even small toys ?
Does Chinese product boycott really affect Chinese aggression ?

Important question are you willing to boycott Chinese products if yes what are our other alternatives

Last edited by Aditya : 17th June 2020 at 22:36.
CarBot is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 09:50   #2
BHPian

India-China Rivalry!

Hi All,
I was pondering about buying the new Mi series of laptop for my son. Then the India-China border clash happened where 20 indian soldiers were martyred. This is something that no right thinking Indian can condone or forgive. This also seems to be the last in a sequence of transgressions in the past year.

This led me to think if India and China were actually natural rivals because of their size and proximity and ambition. So should we start boycotting obviously chinese brands from now on? China has global ambitions and the will to get what it wants.

Just wanted to know thoughts on this.
vishnurp99 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:02   #3
KPR
BANNED

re: India-China Rivalry!

Made in China is inevitable. In fact product can be stickered made in US/Uganda, but actually made in China. Chinese products have grown to unimaginable heights that there's absolutely no substitute for them in whole world. End of the day it's your money and your wish. For me let government / lawmakers decide whether to import or not. I will continue to buy as long as my needs are met. In fact I've eaten food with Pakistani Onions. Being a law abiding tax payer I've tolerated squandering of our tax money by few politicians who have no qualities other than being born in India. So this is something beyond my imagination or wish. Oh BTW I've ordered MI Robot Vaccum cleaner and eagerly waiting for it.

Last edited by KPR : 17th June 2020 at 10:04.
KPR is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it of any use only boycotting what is convenient or what is 'obviously' 'Made in China' or is that just virtue signalling?

If we are going to do this 'boycott China' thing properly, shouldn't we boycott EVERYTHING from China? So is it possible to boycott everything that is made in China? Anything with any Chinese component? The chip in the device that I'm using to type "boycott China!" , the windows on the Bangalore Metro, ventilator components (hmmm...during this situation?!)...etc etc.

Are the people making those products/components the same people giving the orders that lead to the border conflict?

Isn't the Indian government itself allowing the import of these products/components?

(Of course "something is better than nothing" will be the chorus, so let's do and say what sounds good even if it does not really make any difference to the original problem/situation.)

Last edited by BlackPearl : 19th June 2020 at 17:15. Reason: Quoted message is no longer relevant. Thanks.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:18   #5
KMT
BHPian

About 12 months ago I had started a similar thread on Chinese Automobiles and a poll was added to it.

Several forum members, were strongly opposed to boycott of Chinese goods.

Actually 75% percent of forum members felt that it was we should NOT boycott Chinese Automobiles.

My take from that poll was that for 75% of TBHP members, economic motives (ie my own hip pocket) are the sole desision driver of any purchase, irrespective of whether is Chinese made or not.

To a vast majority of our country, 'personal fredom of choice' is more important.

Therefore if there is to be any effective stoppage of Chinese products, it has to be done at a Government level, otherwise many Indians will continue to support Chinese companies.

In my Google news feed the first piece is on the 20 Indian soldiers killed by the Chinese, the next news item is on Uddhav Thakeray inking a deal with Great Wall Motors.
If we want to boycott Chinese, we cannot be 'half-pregnant' about it, we either have to embrace them or kick them out.

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2020 at 08:01. Reason: STRICTLY no discriminatory comments on anyone based on their location in India (or otherwise)
KMT is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Is it of any use only boycotting what is convenient or what is 'obviously' 'Made in China' or is that just virtue signalling?

If we are going to do this 'boycott China' thing properly, shouldn't we boycott EVERYTHING from China? So is it possible to boycott everything that is made in China? Anything with any Chinese component? The chip in my cell phone, the windows on the Bangalore Metro, ventilator components (hmmm...during this situation?!)...etc etc.

Are the people making those products/components the same people giving the orders that lead to the border conflict?

Isn't the Indian government itself allowing the import of these products/components?

(Of course "something is better than nothing" will be the chorus, so let's do and say what sounds good even if it does not really make any difference to the original problem/situation.)
Just to add from my side, chinese components are impossible to boycott. What can be done for a start is the complete product from chinese owned companies. The big profits are naturally on complete products that are owned rather than just components.

Coming to other question on chinese investment in India. If they make a 1 billion dollars investment in India, from the raw materials used to construct the plants etc, how much of it comes from China. What is the local share ?

Looking at their modus operandi in Pakistan, everything including man power comes from China. It does contribute a lot to their own economy. Given that these are car plants, most people will be local. The govt does make money through imports, taxes etc so they will be least bothered.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The difference between China and India is this --- China is seeking to be world number one, to equal and then exceed the US of A, to dominate economically and politically the rest of Asia especially the curve surrounding them from South Asia, to SE Asia to North East Asia. World domination is their ambition. Doesn't mean they'll achieve it but they could spell trouble for a lot of us in the process of trying. India does not seek world domination nor do we have territorial ambitions over lands and seas of others. Some within India see that as wimpy but actually it is the sensible long term path to prosperity. By long term I mean over three to five generations.

China's belligerence is a common path most ambitious dictators pursue -- that of poking, jabbing and testing who caves in and who does not. Till 1976 China was ruled by an absolute dictator. Now since 2013 it once again is. Since the past few years Uncle Xi has dismantled the Communist Party's natural balance of power and internal checks and balances and made himself Supreme Leader in the mold of Kim Il Sung, Stalin, Mao Tse Tung, Saddam etc. Like them he has to flex military might for his own survival. And that's where China's aggression on our borders and in the Spratley Islands in the South China Sea fit in.

Will they succeed. I very much doubt it. Will they continue to be more aggressive, yes they will. All nations are not alike. They can bully Philippines but Vietnam is a far tougher nut to push around. India, Japan and Australia are in a different league altogether. And USA is far ahead of us all militarily and resource wise.

While going to war is not an option yet, appeasement isn't an option either.
V.Narayan is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:25   #8
BANNED

I have qualified things into 4 categories

1: Indian company owned things manufactured things in India
2: Indian Company owned things not manufactured in India
3: Foreign company owned things manufactured in India
4: Foreign company owned things manufactured overseas.

My preference order is 1>2>3>4. But only where the alternatives exist.

For example, if I want to buy a crossover, I will get a harrier over a MG Hector. But if I want a 90 lakh rupee sports car, I guess I have to get a Porsche Boxster, and go the #4 way.

For phones, for example, Redmi phones fall in category 3. Micromax and other rebranded indian phones in category 2. So I will prefer Micromax to Redmi, knowing fully well that neither is built here. Samsung can also be an option, due to them manufacturing in NCR.
turbo is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:46   #9
BHPian

I have written earlier in another thread.

- Government should make it a rule that country of manufacture should be labelled more clearly in all goods.

- For composite products like automobiles or electronics, with industry bodies inputs/knowledge, I believe it should be possible to come up with a percentage figure (e.g. 70% China, 20% Taiwan, 10% India). This is difficult but not impossible. Government can make it mandatory to publish top 3 countries of manufacture in the product, and rest in product websites.

- This should be on the first search results along with the price in eCommerce sites.

- Government should strive to inform the consumers and then let the consumers wallet speak.

I have paused a purchase of a pedestal fan when I realised even Usha fan is made in China. Will buy a different brand when I reliably know it is Made in India. This is the problem. Not enough information to make informed choice.

This is a long term battle, and not to be given up so quickly.
DigitalOne is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:57   #10
BHPian

It's your money and it's totally on you as to how you use it. Your concern should be the value that you're getting off a product irrespective of it's nationality. If Indian made products can't give you the same level of satisfaction as an internationally made product, then buying it just for the sake of it being INDIAN is outright stupid.

If they are good at something, use it to your advantage. If their products help you work more efficiently and more economically, then in a long run, you're doing your country's economy a favor, plus these companies provide large scale employment, contribute in the way of taxes & duties and more.

So in short my point is, use their products to your advantage to build a stronger platform for yourself, so you can build more dependable industries in India.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th June 2020 at 11:01. Reason: Added para space for better readability
omranga98 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 10:59   #11
BHPian

I just don't understand this boycott China thing. It's the Govt that should decide how it wants to respond with any country. In case of Pakistan, the Govt has many restrictions on trade/cross border movement of goods, etc. When it comes to China, we want to uninstall their apps & stop buying their electronics?? Let the Govt take action, let them stop imports just like they placed restrictions on Chinese investments in India. Let the Govt ban Chinese companies just like the US has banned Huawei.

India too exports to China. Do you think the Chinese are saying boycott Indian goods? I don't think so. They don't care.
And are we the only country to have a problem with China?
Do you think people in Vietnam, Phillipines, Japan, etc are saying boycott China? So why should we as citizens get so angry & emotional?

And is this the first time China is raking up the border? Did we not fight a war in 1962? Didn't we lose our territory? Did we stop trading with them since then? Did we sever our ties? If no, why do we keep coming up with this boycott nonsense every time there is some tension at the border? I just don't understand.
CarNerd is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
I just don't understand this boycott China thing. It's the Govt that should decide how it wants to respond with any country.
Did we stop trading with them since then? Did we sever our ties? If no, why do we keep coming up with this boycott nonsense every time there is some tension at the border? I just don't understand.
Agree!

And in the meanwhile came across the linked piece of news yesterday.
If our government thinks it fit to award a Chinese Firm a Multi-million dollar government contract in our capital region during this episode, I don't understand how individual over-zealous behaviours are going to help the cause.

NEWS LINK

Last edited by roy_libran : 17th June 2020 at 11:18.
roy_libran is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

On the topic itself. Yes there will be rivalry between India and China. China aspires to be a world power and India a regional one at least. For China to dominate the world, it needs to assert its power in its immediate surroundings. While it can do that and get away with most countries, it will be vary to go all out against India. But these confrontations will keep rising till it sees India as a key US ally for counterbalancing China.

Should we boycott chinese goods? I dont know. Probably we should.

Can we boycott? I dont think so. Unless I am prepared to let go of many things in my daily life as I know of, I wont be. From a government's point of view it is outright hypocritical to urge the general population to boycott chinese goods all the while allowing the Chinese to Invest in the Indian market.

Last edited by vibbs : 17th June 2020 at 11:25. Reason: Quoted post is edited, thank you.
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Hi All,
I was pondering about buying the new Mi series of laptop for my son. Then the India-China border clash happened where 20 indian soldiers were martyred. This is something that no right thinking Indian can condone or forgive. This also seems to be the last in a sequence of transgressions in the past year.

This led me to think if India and China were actually natural rivals because of their size and proximity and ambition. So should we start boycotting obviously chinese brands from now on? China has global ambitions and the will to get what it wants.

Just wanted to know thoughts on this.
First of all, you should change the title of the thread. It should read like India-China Rivarly.

Second, I agree wherever possible and consciously stop purchasing new "China owned " things. e.g. Mi, Huawei etc. I am going to certainly follow it.
hondafanboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 11:22   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Therefore if there is to be any effective stoppage of Chinese products, it has to be done at a Goverment level, otherwise many Indians will continue to support Chinese companies.
They have already done something about it. This news item is from just 3-4 days ago.

https://procurementnation.com/2020/0...uDhva7_xYX2LD0
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks