Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2020, 14:09   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed

Hey Guys,

So... We had an old abandoned shed where migrant workers occasionally used to stay in the farm. With the lockdown imposed and social distancing in place, I decided to re-do the place up. The idea was to have a private place to unwind once in a while and also, since I decided to be self-sustainable have a supply of fruits, veggies and possibly, chicken, egg, milk etc.. around the place.

This was the place three months back...

DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed-eb2e7f8b35d849b1a03e64fa494c2ce9.jpg

DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed-b7a9289bcd6f4f7dbdf2902072d6b38d.jpg

DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed-b57b0b1e34664cd1b318db301f46469a.jpg

DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed-d2fd65e584a2427f8e44426c462ab34c.jpg

As bad as the place looks, as good a student I became. Since I have most of the tools myself, decided to do all the work alone and not hire anyone. Proud to have completed the work alone. Father used to come, advice and occasionally lend a hand. Except for laying tiles in the bathroom, everything from plumbing (there was no overhead tank), welding and building a 13 feet water tank stand, wiring, painting, masonry, carpentry everything was done by me.

A lot of work is still pending. Especially in the Bathroom, Kitchen and the Yard. But, I guess that'll take time to think and finish.

So... this is how the place looks now.

DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed-img_1090.jpg

DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed-img_1091.jpg

DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed-img_1094.jpg

DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed-img_1102.jpg

DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed-img_1103.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd June 2020 at 23:02. Reason: rewind->unwind
dhanushs is offline   (173) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 14:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Home Construction/Makeover/Maintenance Thread

Wow. What a transformation. Can you post the photo of the exterior also
NICHE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:00   #3
BHPian

@Dhanushs.

You really don't have to ask anyone for approval. You took the time and effort to do it all on your own
and converted an ugly duckling into a swan. Even if it was ugly (which it certainly isn't), I would have said it's stunning and given you 200/100 for your effort.

Great Job.
keroo1099 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 01:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hey Guys,

So... We had an old abandoned shed where migrant workers occasionally used to stay in the farm. With the lockdown imposed and social distancing in place, I decided to re-do the place up. The idea was to have a private place to unwind once in a while and also, since I decided to be self-sustainable have a supply of fruits, veggies and possibly, chicken, egg, milk etc.. around the place.
Excellent job Dhanush. Full marks. How long did this take you? You have a nice little "man cave" now.

Cheers,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 08:02   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed

Quote:
So... this is how the place looks now.
Incredible! Thanks for sharing & take a well-deserved pat on the back, man. Will be adding this to our homepage.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 08:41   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Incredible! Thanks for sharing & take a well-deserved pat on the back, man. Will be adding this to our homepage.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Excellent job Dhanush. Full marks. How long did this take you? You have a nice little "man cave" now.
Thank you! It took me about two and a half months to get it to this stage. To be exact, started around April first with around 10 litres of paint. This photo is taken around mid June.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
... I would have said it's stunning and given you 200/100 for your effort.

Great Job.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
Wow. What a transformation. Can you post the photo of the exterior also
Sure.. Here it is. . Now, need to do something about the Yard. Suggestions appreciated.

DIY: Makeover of an Abandoned Shed-82900b0b87e2498ab6f1dbd1192443e0.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 09:29   #7
BHPian

Wow! That a stunning transformation. The cleaning itself would have been a herculean task. I do similar things at home, but could never manage the electrical bits. Any hints on how to add extra switch boards or wall sockets etc
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 09:32   #8
BHPian

It is always special when we build something with our hands on, especially if it is a house. Nice project and big transformation.

On the yard, it might be a good idea to circumvent the shed with a 3 feet width stone patch to minimise slush and an optional layer of charcoal beneath that would avoid vegetative growth close to walls and may also give a protection layer against termites.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 23rd June 2020 at 09:35.
Thermodynamics is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 09:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

@dhanushs: Incredible effort and superb results. Makes for a perfect vacation home. Must say your red-oxide floor looks stunning. How did you get that shine?

Quote:
Sure.. Here it is. . Now, need to do something about the Yard. Suggestions appreciated.
A bunch of paving blocks for a walkway? Would leave the earth as is on either side and have a few shrubs.
landcruiser123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 11:14   #10
BHPian

Man, that looks just absolutely incredible. The little time that you've taken to finish it, the result seems like it's taken far longer. And the choice of materials and aesthetic, hats off, man!

I do have one question though that might seem odd, but where would the migrant workers now stay once they're back? I'm assuming there's another place for them still?
sainyamk95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:09   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
@dhanushs: Incredible effort and superb results. Makes for a perfect vacation home. Must say your red-oxide floor looks stunning. How did you get that shine?
Floor paint.
Quote:
A bunch of paving blocks for a walkway? Would leave the earth as is on either side and have a few shrubs.
I thought of growing grass to make it look like a lawn. And the nice green colour will look really good.. Will look into the option of paving only the walkway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
On the yard, it might be a good idea to circumvent the shed with a 3 feet width stone patch to minimise slush and an optional layer of charcoal beneath that would avoid vegetative growth close to walls and may also give a protection layer against termites.
Thank you. Will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainyamk95 View Post
Man, that looks just absolutely incredible. The little time that you've taken to finish it, the result seems like it's taken far longer. And the choice of materials and aesthetic, hats off, man!
Thank you!

Quote:
I do have one question though that might seem odd, but where would the migrant workers now stay once they're back? I'm assuming there's another place for them still?
We didn't have permanent workers. Whenever we lease the land for Banana or Ginger, workers used to stay here. Now, it's decided not to lease some of the property and develop it in a different way. So, no more workers, at least for the foreseeable future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Wow! That a stunning transformation. The cleaning itself would have been a herculean task. I do similar things at home, but could never manage the electrical bits. Any hints on how to add extra switch boards or wall sockets etc
In this case, its very easy for me. Since all the wiring is outside the wall.

For wiring inside the wall, you will need to work on the wall. Which is tricky since not easy to work on old walls. The plastering might come off. Or do the work when you are about to paint the house.
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Just one word, AWESOME! Really worth the effort you have put in (3 months) and what a transformation. Add some plants and nice garden around the place and it is set. The vegetable garden would be better and help in your self-sustenance effort. You can add some old camping gear/tarpaulin to make car porch also he he.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Stunning! That’s the word that comes to my mind. Absolutely fantastic. 5 stars!!
I wish I had such comprehensive DIY skills. This is wonderfully done and you’re now a proud owner of this wonderful place.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:34   #14

What a transformation from black to white!! Awesome and Stunning DIY . Already you are a master in rebuilding jeeps, now with farmhouses also.

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd June 2020 at 12:49. Reason: typo
Hazi.Kin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:51   #15
Team-BHP Support

Incredible transformation Dhanush! Loved the simplistic setup. Would be a nice place to unwind from the busy and hectic city lives. That Creative 2.1 speakers made me chuckle!

Thank you for sharing!
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks