Team-BHP - Police brutality & custodial death of traders in Tamil Nadu
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Police brutality & custodial death of traders in Tamil Nadu (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/224102-police-brutality-custodial-death-traders-tamil-nadu-3.html)

Not sure about the need for so much discussion.
If I remember what was published, it was a personal vendetta.
The ASI had demanded a free mobile phone from the duo's shop which they refused to give. Thus when the cops got an opportunity, the duo were punished as deemed by the cops.
There is no need for so much introspection even after the lockdown is over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 (Post 4832817)
Yes my concern is the Political leanings because that smells more fishy than it looks on the surface. For you its a simple case of Police High handedness, what if these few Police personnel were paid heavy sums to do the torture on a particular sect/religion/creed/political leaning of people to create unrest in society similar to US?

---

I am worried about internal National security nothing else at this crucial timing when we have two enemies eager to wage war at our borders. We can't afford civil unrest like US at this juncture of time. Jai Hind!

Wow! Just wow! Those are some fantastic conspiracy theories! Even the usual right wing propaganda outlets have not managed to come up with this! clap:

You wanted to dig deeper? Here's the dirt.

Quote:

The police sub inspectors Balakrishnan (38) and Ragu Ganesh (44) who are suspected behind the alleged custodial death of two traders Jeyaraj and Beniks, have no dearth of controversies. Both have a history of being summoned by the State Human Rights Commission in the past.

It may be noted that the complainant J Selvarani, wife of deceased P Jeyaraj, in a petition seeking justice, had noted that the duo had tortured over 25 persons in Sathankulam in the pretext of inquiry. According to sources, sub-inspector Balakrishnan was summoned by State Human Rights Commission in 2013 following a complaint by one N Vaiyapuri alias Mani against the inspector.

Mani said that he was beaten severely for a traffic violation case. The complainant had demanded Rs 1 lakh compensation since he could not move around for work. Later, Mani withdrew the complaint, after the SI requested him privately and assured him of medical expenses. In another incident in 2017, Tirunelveli DIG transferred sub-inspector Balakrishnan from Panagudi station in Tirunelveli district after he abused a woman over phone.

Similarly, the duo Ragu Ganesh and Balakrishnan were summoned by SHRC based on a complaint given by a christian preacher one D Lazarus Barnabas of Palaniappapuram early this March and the inquiry is on hold due to lockdown. According to the complaint, the sub-inspectors duo had beaten up Lazarus and tore his shirts for preaching in a public place, without any inquiry. Lazarus told TNIE that he was injured badly and that he was bed ridden for one week.

Quote:

Human Right activist Henri Tiphagne tells TNM that on May 25, a 29-year-old construction worker named Mahendran had been picked up by the Sathankulam police. He was the younger brother of Durairaj, who was absconding after being accused in the murder of a man named Jayakumar.

Jayakumar, according to many sources, was touted to be a police informer, and his death had enraged the police, who in turn tortured those connected with the murder.

The young man was allegedly brutally assaulted in the station before being let off but died in mid June from the injuries he sustained. His family and activists allege that the assault at the police station led to the deterioration of his health.

“The family was too afraid to open up about this earlier. But now seeing how activists are bringing it up and how other villagers are supporting them, they have spoken to the magistrate about the assault on Mahendran,” says Henri.

And while Mahendran succumbed to his injuries, Raja Singh, another accused in the Jayakumar murder case, has also showed signs of severe assault.
Link 1, Link 2, Link 3

These cops are rotten to the core and have left behind a trail of destruction. Its unbelievable anyone would try to belittle this incident, just because of who raised their voice against it.

And please don't bring in fake nationalism into this debate. Abuse of power by some cops has nothing to do with whatever is happening at the border.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 (Post 4833018)

To me it seems like you are saying - The policemen were aggrieved over not being able to extort a mobile phone. So they killed the two people. It's a minor matter. Let's move on.
If that is not what you are saying, please explain and put my mind at rest.

Quote:

Yes my concern is the Political leanings because that smells more fishy than it looks on the surface. For you its a simple case of Police High handedness, what if these few Police personnel were paid heavy sums to do the torture on a particular sect/religion/creed/political leaning of people to create unrest in society similar to US?

There have been already inputs from IB about the same which was broadcasted in news. Off course its a case of Police High-handedness but what stops us into looking more deep and finding real reasons of this high-handedness. Was it just Police mentality or something else? Lets not just see the tip of the iceberg and conclude about its height. You live in a land where there are as many internal enemies as external and these are not just conspiracy theories. Pakistan, China and many other nations are pumping money in India to create unrest to make India weak. Hence my sincere request to find all the facts and not just leave it as a case of Police high-handedness.

Your other comments targetting me personally are probably based on an opinion that I want to take some political side or don't want the police to get punished. Both are wrong, my only concern is that the motive behind such Police high-handedness has to be thoroughly investigated. The timing of this incident, the specific political parties which are raising their voice (which normally are silent over many big incidents) raises suspicion that something is beyond Police high-handedness which needs to be investigated. I am worried about internal National security nothing else at this crucial timing when we have two enemies eager to wage war at our borders. We can't afford civil unrest like US at this juncture of time. Jai Hind!

So the incident should be investigated because of its bearing on National Security, and not because two people were tortured to death by people meant to protect them?

IMO, normally 'National Security' is invoked to give someone a free pass somewhere.

Sutripta

Quote:

The ASI had demanded a free mobile phone from the duo's shop which they refused to give. Thus when the cops got an opportunity, the duo were punished as deemed by the cops.

Your post, in my view, is insensitive and uncompassionate.

Are you actually condoning the policemen who did this; giving the rationale that the "punishment" was "deemed adequate"?

The video below surfaced on my youtube feed yesterday afternoon. I did not know TBHP had a thread on this then. Maybe it will better explain the horror of what happened. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00UG1MjzndQ&t=3s

Sadly, I am sure that this is not the first case of such abuse. I have seen police (at least where I live) having different standards depending on caste, creed, religion, level of education, and financial status.

Quote:

You're quite right. In fact, we spend way too much time discussing things. I bought a car, why discuss the process? I went for a drive, why write about it? I mean, it's not like this is a forum for online discussion.

Quote:

There have been already inputs from IB about the same which was broadcasted in news. Off course its a case of Police High-handedness but what stops us into looking more deep and finding real reasons of this high-handedness. Was it just Police mentality or something else? Lets not just see the tip of the iceberg and conclude about its height. You live in a land where there are as many internal enemies as external and these are not just conspiracy theories. Pakistan, China and many other nations are pumping money in India to create unrest to make India weak. Hence my sincere request to find all the facts and not just leave it as a case of Police high-handedness.

You are also very right. In fact, I remember being pulled over at the start of the year for a traffic violation. I am pretty sure I didn't jump the light, and that it was amber. The cop had no proof, but was adamant. There was some indication that a note slipped to him would resolve the matter fast. I could swear I saw Jinping and Imran hiding behind a tree and looking to see if I paid a bribe.

Also, please note that ending a post with a patriotic salutation does not make you a true son of the soil, unless you end every post similarly. I checked, and you do not. This just makes your shabby defence of your initial post seem, well, shabby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 4833211)
I could swear I saw Jinping and Imran hiding behind a tree and looking to see if I paid a bribe.

I hope our intelligence services alerts their counterparts in the US to thoroughly investigate this angle wrt George Floyd, and Russia, China, Iran, and Venezuela.
(Actually Russia and China are making use of this in their propaganda. But reactive, rather than proactive. And even with a currently highly polarised polity, people give it the importance it deserves - none).

Sutripta

Thanks for the posts guys, but I think this topic has been discussed enough. Closing.

BHPian GeneralJazz shares this update:

Quote:

Update to the incident:
One of the cops under arrest for the custodial murder, has died due to Covid.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.out...navirus/358353