Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 15:53   #76
BHPian

Re: Government bans 59 Chinese Apps, including TikTok & UC Browser

I think nobody expects or can avoid Chinese goods completely. It is almost not possible in this globalised world economy. And also I have seen some messages, not here on this forum but on whatsapp, why the government cannot ban imports directly and then asks citizens to buy local goods. The simple answer might be as a member of WTO, it may not be prudent and possible to ban all imports from a nation unless we are at war with it. We can very well impose some extra duties on some goods but cannot ban imports completely without valid reasons. However, as a citizen I don't have to give any reasons for not buying something. Thus, we need not avoid everything made in China and I would say, we don't need to even hate China. Just try to buy other alternatives wherever possible. Not to hurt China, but rather to help our economy. Why to do something on a negative note
vamsi.kona is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 16:24   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Now about redrawing borders -

Right now we are drawing this border at the expense of it being disputed territory.
Sorry but this is completely wrong. We are not drawing or redrawing our borders arbitrarily. To understand the origins of the Sino Indian border disputes please read up on the British India & Tibet & China borders. I mentioned Tibet separately because the British had border treaty with Tibet bypassing China too as China did not have suzerainty over Tibet then. Anyway, China & India follow 2 different lines drawn by the British - the Macdonald-MacCarthy line and the Johnson line. One puts more territory in Indian lands, the other puts more in China.

Keeping all that aside, in 1962 China effectively moved the border to their interpretation. I have no hope of recovering the 38000 sq km in Aksai Chin. However China has continued to increase its encroachments and claims continually. For example in Arunachal which they claim in its entirety as Southern Tibet. Same for the Nepal & Bhutan borders. Recent example is Doklam where we ceded the plateau (unlike what media reports) except for its southern corner.

So India is not changing the ground reality. In fact we have done the opposite and continued to molly coddle and cede territory with every administration.

You need to remember that China, like India, did not exist as a unified country for much of its existence. And it had shifting borders much like ours.

So to give back your example..... If we do not claim South East Asia as a greater Indian territory, how can China claim Tibet, Xinjiang / Sinkiang, Arunachal, Ladakh, and parts of Nepal, Bhutan and Sikkim as their own? Oh wait it does not stop there. Add the Mekong delta, South China Sea upto 9 dash line, bits of Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong (remember only the new territories belonged to them and the British gave up Hong Kong proper knowing they would be unable to hold on to it, and also because of the 50 years guarantee which, by they way, China destroyed today with the passing of the new security law).

Can you see a pattern as to who is drawing maps arbitrarily? And you want us to turn the other cheek as we have been doing for so long? In fact this app ban is also exactly that, its mainly optics. In the India China rivalry thread I had said that we will not risk an escalation and will eventually cede territory. Which we probably will. After a bit of huff and puff and bluster. Because we are outgunned, outspent and outsmarted. And also because we Indians have a weird tendency of knowing best and sabotaging ourselves the most.

So if you want to blame the government for INACTION please do so. But do not blame them for taking this ACTION even though it is at present largely symbolic.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 30th June 2020 at 16:25.
digitalnirvana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 16:46   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

I think online vendors should clearly mark country of origin in their listing.
Not to forget the vendors cheating on the country of origin as well.

Recently had a bad experience with Myntra. Bought a Wahl clipper advertised as an USA made one.
Government bans 59 Chinese Apps, including TikTok & UC Browser-wahl.jpg
Government bans 59 Chinese Apps, including TikTok & UC Browser-wahl2.jpg
After reading the mixed up reviews and considering the fact that the product was not returnable, I had messaged Myntra, to cancel the order, if it was of a Chinese make. From their part I was assured that they only sell genuine products. Finally ended up with a "great wahl of china" in my hand.

Government bans 59 Chinese Apps, including TikTok & UC Browser-back.jpg

Made a detailed review of the product with pictures so that no other customer is cheated. But the fun part is that Myntra is not publishing the review
Government bans 59 Chinese Apps, including TikTok & UC Browser-review.jpg

Last edited by adrian : 30th June 2020 at 16:58.
adrian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 17:30   #79
BHPian

Quick off topic question: Why is the list not sorted. It is damn irritating to read such a list. Is there any reason or some chap in government just decided to sort out based on his discovery in some app store?
purohitanuj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 17:33   #80
BHPian

For scanning, I have been using HP smart, an app for my printer that allows me to scan using the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Now about redrawing borders -

Right now we are drawing this border at the expense of it being disputed territory.
Putting it simply, suppose I have a parcel of land. One fine day, someone claims a part of my land on the basis of a map which they say is right. Should I give it up?

What is referred as disputed, might be referred as home by a few of our fellow brethren who belong to the area.
Old 30th June 2020, 17:43   #81
BHPian

I doubt if any other country is producing affordable Laptop except 'Our Neighborhood Dragon'. Most of the components of PC are also from the same origin.
Can we really live without these necessities ?
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 17:45   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Wow. So they come inside our territory, break all rules of engagement, kill our men in uniform and then put the blame of everything on us, and we reply by blocking some their apps. This brutal and strict action will strike the fear of god into our enemies for all time to come. Seriously, are we truly that helpless?
Nicely said. It reminds me of my days in school where I and my group of friends were often bullied by a batch of senior students. The bullies practiced no constraint and had no qualms in even trashing us, just for the sake of fun. Our revenge was staring at them and hoping that they turn into ugly creatures. Unfortunately, that never happened.

Coming back to the topic, I feel that this ban is mere posturing by the Govt. to recover from the debacle of the speech in which someone had broadcasted to the world that the Chinese had not intruded into our territory, which implied that we are unnecessarily creating ruckus on the border and that our martyred soldiers had unnecessarily laid down their lives.
MBond007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 18:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

A threat to sovereignty is the most serious threat a nation can face.

But it took 20 soldiers to be killed to recognise this fact?

And such a major threat goes unrecognised for such a long time?? And interestingly zoom which has been recognised as a threat globally has not been banned?

And what about the fact that they own almost all the major android phones and own major holdings in OLA, Uber, Zomato, Flipkart, Snapdeal, Paytm, OYO, makemytrip, big basket, policy bazar, quickr and a lot more?

We can't ban everything I guess. We need to keep some for the next incident..

The cherry on top is this $300 million deal inked with the Chinese by the Adani group 9 days ago:

Link

Last edited by AMG Power : 30th June 2020 at 18:32.
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 18:26   #84
BHPian

This is a useless move. Our soldiers are being killed and we ban apps?

Our fight is with China encroaching on our land not their apps.

The same way, if other countries boycott indian apps or Indian employees, we would obviously stand against it because we, as Indian citizens are dependent in ways on other countries.

If Chinese apps are making life easier for me, i don't see the problem. I should be free to choose between apps and products.
alikidwhy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 18:32   #85
BHPian

Mod Note: This topic has been discussed enough. Now closing. Thank you.

I am not very much a patriotic person, but I do really support boycotting Chinese goods. I don't know what China is up to with this misadventure, but it being an autocratic regime with scant regards for democratic values, I do know whom not to support.

Although I still wonder whether this is all that India has to offer in retaliation to the Chinese encroaching on our territory and killing our soldiers, it is at least a symbolic gesture. Just like we refusing to play cricket with Pakistan whenever there is a Pak incursion at the border. The fact that we continue to give it back to Pakistan at every opportunity they give us, I see that we are not doing the same thing with China. Proves that they are at least a tad mightier than us, so we are doing the more sensible thing to do - attack them alternate ways. Hence the ban.

In my view, we shouldn't have waited for the govt to impose such a ban and should have taken it upon us as our duty to boycott Chinese goods. Am not advocating that we throw away all the Chinese goods lying in your home, as hat does not help as we already paid for them. I didn't throw away my Oneplus 7 or my son's MI A2, but if I have to buy another phone, I would't buy Chinese. Similarly I wouldn't buy an MG Hector either - not that I like it. I wouldn't totally avoid all Chinese goods either, cos there are things where we do not have a choice. The fact that you cannot avoid all Chinese stuff does not mean you should at least try to avoid what we can.

Again, those who do not want to hurt China, or do not think that a boycott wouldn't hurt them, should be free to buy Chinese stuff. In that vein, the ban on Chinese apps is really unnecessary. It would have been better if people had voluntarily uninstalled those apps to showed support. Or like Arnab Goswami said - hit them where it hurts.

Last edited by GTO : 30th June 2020 at 18:45. Reason: Adding thread closure note
civic-sense is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks