Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2020, 22:23   #16
BHPian

re: Government bans 59 Chinese Apps, including TikTok & UC Browser

I fully support this move if it is indeed beneficial and if it hurts China (even in a very small way), I didn't use any of those apps so it doesn't affect me anyway.

I cannot understand one thing, these apps are
used the world over but nowhere are these banned, but all of a sudden India (which doesn't even have stringent data protection laws) bans 59 apps all from a single country, that too at a time when Indo-China ties are strained. All these reasons make me doubt the justification given by the government for the ban. Seems more like this was more to send a message rather than genuine privacy concerns.

Last edited by tanmoy87 : 29th June 2020 at 22:41.
tanmoy87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 22:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

How exaclty does this banning happen ? Does it mean we won't see these apps in app store ? Or are the domains used by these apps blocked ? Really, this banning of apps seems childish to me.

The current government came into power establishing that the earlier government was weak and could not do anything about Pakistan and China. I really hope they do something stronger than blocking URLs and apps.
padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 22:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Surprised to see Camscanner on the list. I have been a user and must commend their innovation. Time to delete it!
Use Microsoft Office Lens, I just switched to it. Had a CamScanner paid license.
digitalnirvana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 22:34   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: National Security Council asks Govt to ban 53 Chinese apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The provocation this time is as serious as 1962. In some ways more serious because India has a lot more at stake and China is itching to be recognized as a world super power and not merely a very successful economy. India joining hands with USA+Japan+Australia, the PM announcing emphasis on producing locally, our proclaimed aim of luring out 1000 companies from China, our refusal to join RCEP, India's growing strategic presence in Vietnam, Philippines, Mauritius, Seychelles, India reaching out to Taiwan and Maldives & Sri Lanka once again veering back to a centre path between China & India are among the many reasons for China's aggression. They are trying to send a signal to the 14 countries that share a land border with them that "look how we can slap India the big boy around this neighbourhood, what chance do you think you stand". Also their eyes are not just on Galwan but on what they call historically the 5 fingers - Arunachal, Bhutan, Sikkim, Nepal, Ladakh. Mao Ze Dong had laid out this as their long term strategy in 1960 after they had occupied Tibet some years earlier. He referred to Tibet as the palm and these five areas as the fingers. They genuinely believe on basis of their interpretation of history that these are parts of a "Greater China". It is an interpretation open to serious question*. This long term aim, for which they are willing to wait 4 generations to fulfill, sets the tone for their strategy and planning. While it is all very well to have diplomacy with Xi Ping we need to remain alert to his true intentions.

* It is like us saying that as parts of SE Asia were strongly influenced by India culture and religion 1500 to 2500 years ago hence Java, Sumatra, Bali islands, Cambodia and the Malaya peninsula belong to us!!
This is by far the most factually correct assessment of the situation I’ve read recently. You are absolutely right in saying that the provocation is massive, perhaps even more than 1962. They have basically said that we will do whatever we want, do what you can. And on top of that have put the blame of everything on us. All talks of we no longer being the India of 62 have effectively remained just that, as they are camped inside our territory and we are unable to or are unwilling to do anything more than crib about it. We being our political leadership. Seems they will sit there for as long as they want, perhaps permanently. This action of banning some of their apps as retaliation seems like the meekest possible way of conveying our helplessness.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 29th June 2020 at 22:39.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 23:44   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

1999. At the height of the Kargil war, when there was a lot of pressure on India to stop the fighting, PM Vajpayee gave an interview and said that the Indian armed forces will not cease fire until every sq km of Indian territory has been cleared of the intruders. Then army chief Gen VP Malik wrote in his book Kargil - From Surprise to Victory that Vajpayee had actually made this statement without vetting it from the army top brass. General Malik says that while he was partially concerned about a scenario where they weren’t able to clear every inch of territory in face of an entrenched or a retreating enemy that laid booby traps, he was very grateful for the PM publicly putting his full weight behind the armed forces. It was a massive morale booster for the boys on the frontline.

In the current context, I shudder to think how the men on the border or the families of the martyrs are feeling after reading about this childishly meek response by our administration.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 29th June 2020 at 23:53.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 00:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Wow. So they come inside our territory, break all rules of engagement, kill our men in uniform and then put the blame of everything on us, and we reply by blocking some their apps. This brutal and strict action will strike fear of god into our enemies for all time to come. Seriously, are we truly that helpless?
I don't think we should view this as a trade-off for 20 Indian lives.

This is about diplomacy and national security.

If there are links to the PLA here, we don't know who is being tracked and how.

https://www.businesstoday.in/technol...ry/408359.html

Quote:
TikTok is recording what they are typing on their phones, which could range from non-sensitive information to passwords or even sensitive emails.
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 00:26   #22
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 30th June 2020 at 06:53.
Raghav96 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th June 2020, 00:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
This is an excellent move by the Govt.
Much as the ' liberals' will resent this move and lament the loss of their right to an unfettered life, such actions by India are highly welcome. It would be nice to see what kind of people oppose this move !
Let me tell what liberal thinks, Definitely a move by Government to address internal crowd high on nationalism rather than long term reply to Chinese Government. News channel will market it as Surgical Strikes and ignorant population will buy it as The Big Bang theory. I doubt this move will affect China long term, these apps will re-enter with proxy names appearing to be originating from some other country. Habits of people will not die easily. If the purpose of the apps is to get data, then there is no shortage of ways China can do it. Remember 70% mobile handset market is with Chinese companies.

It is definitely a reply to China rather than privacy concerns. The Government who sold RTO database for around Rs. 63 crore to almost 20 companies is I think least bothered about Privacy. So it is clear that it is reply to China.

Though I will wait for real impact before celebration because we have habit of celebrating too early. I really hope this will make substantial dent what it is intended for. I hope liberal thinking in me is proven wrong.

And definitely it is not worth a reply for 20 precious lives and 423 meters of encroachment in the border.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 30th June 2020 at 00:37.
sushantr5 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 02:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Surprised to see Camscanner on the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Use Microsoft Office Lens, I just switched to it. Had a CamScanner paid license.
There is also the Adobe scan app to scan and convert to pdf.
murillo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 06:06   #25
BHPian

Out of all the apps in this list, CamScanner is the only one which I have installed, and have been using it extensively for the past 6-7 years. I've tried a bunch of other document scanning apps, but nothing seems to match the scan quality that CamScanner provides, particularly with the 'Magic Colour' filter applied. Completely eliminated the need for a physical electronic scanner, in my case.

Time to settle with something else even if it doesn't match up in terms of functionality.

By the way, has the ban come into immediate effect? I still see these apps listed in the Play Store.
Old 30th June 2020, 06:56   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Government Bans 59 Chinese Apps Including TikTok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
Hopefully people will stop sharing those stupid tiktok videos in whatsapp groups. What will happen to those tiktok stars?
I'm totally apolitical and a staunch capitalist and belive patriotism is a big waste of time, that being said, India's IQ just went up 10 points.

The demand for bulky leather jackets, super tight pants, glycerine, Brylcreem, kajal and lipstick will plummet with the disappearance of TikTok. Barbers will no longer get requests for mile high hairstyles. I don't have to see decked up photo and video shoots of the college goers pretending to lead the thug life and by posing in front of others homes, cars and bikes.
dark.knight is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 08:17   #27
BHPian

Re: Government Bans 59 Chinese Apps Including TikTok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I'm totally apolitical and a staunch capitalist and belive patriotism is a big waste of time, that being said, India's IQ just went up 10 points.

The demand for ....

Same feelings here.

I don't know what this ban would do, other than show some intent (God knows of what kind), but I don't have to go around blocking every damn instagram page that comes up on my feed showcasing tik tok videos. Instagram keeps throwing it in my face even though I have literally blocked tons of these pages.

Tik tok should have been banned long ago even without any Chinese incursions.
TROOPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 09:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government bans 59 Chinese Apps, including TikTok & UC Browser

Hey guys! Liberal here!

While we will never know the long term impact of the 59 apps banned here, why aren't apps like PUBG banned? Isn't Tencent a Chinese MNC? Is it to keep the unemployed busy? While the popularity has gone down, it would still be a productive ban for a good chunk of the youth!

Banning apps and products from China is not a solution. It's just a way to please the crowd and for getting through the upcoming elections. Aggression and war are not a solution by any means. It has never solved anything.

The only way to beat China is by

1) Encouraging businesses, startups with consistent and favourable policies. Changing policies every now and then doesn't work. Neither does a GST structure which is complicated to the core. This will help more companies to grow, increase employment and increase GDP.
2) Nullifying corruption at all levels. No politician wants to do that for some reason.
3) Basing govt employee pay on efficiency and customer service so that they actually do their work properly
4) Improving the quality of education. Period. Other than IITs and IIMs, we're nowhere in the global scene.
5) Encouraging companies and colleges to focus on R&D. Unless we have indigenous technolgy, there's no way we'll be on the global map. Besides, it'll give rise to more startups and companies.

Unless we grow from the inside and aim to be an actual superpower, our country will never ever improve and we'll just continue to blame the previous regimes because blaming others is what we're good at.

Turbohead

Last edited by Turbohead : 30th June 2020 at 09:38. Reason: Typos
Turbohead is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 09:28   #29
Team-BHP Support

How does the ban work?

1) The apps that are already installed, will they stop working? Doubt it...
2) The apps will vanish from Apple app store or Google play store in India? May be...
3) The apps that are already installed, can't talk to their chinese servers? May be...
4) Can tiktok videos still show up on whatsapp and FB? Think so...

I have only one Chinese app on my smartphone. The Mi Home app linked to the video camera I use to watch over my 84 year old mom who lives alone in Udupi most of the time.

Can someone suggest a replacement for this camera/app setup?
Old 30th June 2020, 09:37   #30
BHPian

Saving Pennies while Pounds go flying by.

Statue of Unity was fabricated in China. Railway Electrification works were awarded to China. With this outcry, the orders have been annulled and may go to an Indian upfront of Chinese company. High speed Rail rakes were brought from China which failed the Test. PPE kits and Covid testing kits bought from China did prove to be Chinese in function too i.e failed.
We are advised not to buy Chinese product. Do WE go to China for shopping? Most of the Chinese products in market are imported through legal channels. Why the government does not plug those channels. All this "Ban Chinese" hype is raised once the products reach the shops and much after Chinese manufacturers have pocketed the money.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th June 2020 at 11:12. Reason: Typos.
Amrik Singh is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed