Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 09:39   #31
BHPian

Re: Government bans 59 Chinese Apps, including TikTok & UC Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Hey guys! Liberal here!

While we will never know the long term impact of the 59 apps banned here, why aren't apps like PUBG banned? Isn't Tencent a Chinese MNC? Is it to keep the unemployed busy? While the popularity has gone down, it would still be a productive ban for a good chunk of the youth!

Banning apps and products from China is not a solution. It's just a way to please the crowd and for getting through the upcoming elections. Aggression and war are not a solution by any means. It's never solved anything.

The only way to beat China is by

1) Encouraging businesses, startups with consistent and favourable policies. Changing policies every now and then doesn't work. Neither does a GST structure which is complicated to the core. This will help more companies to grow, increase employment and increase GDP.
2) Nullifying corruption at all levels. No politician wants to do that for some reason.
3) Basing govt employee pay on efficiency and customer service so that they actually do their work properly
4) Improving the quality of education. Period. Other than IITs and IIMs, we're nowhere in the global scene.
5) Encouraging companies and colleges to focus on R&D. Unless we have indigenous technolgy, there's no way we'll be on the global map. Besides, it'll give rise to more startups and companies.

Unless we grow from the inside and aim to be an actual superpower, our country will never ever improve and we'll just continue to blame the previous regimes because blaming others is what we're good at.

Turbohead
Absolutely!

I am a supporter of this govt in most matters especially it's commitment towards infrastructure devp, but definitely not it's economic and foreign policy where it's been a big 0. I feel such negative propaganda by the govt gets us nowhere. It's jingoistic at best.

As of today and the foreseeable future, even when you buy an electronics product that's made in India, be aware that it's got 90% of its components made in China, bcoz an overwhelming majority of those components are simply not made in India. These are highly sophisticated components like baseband processor, accelerometer, proximity sensor, power mgmt chips, motherboard, touch-sensitive glass, etc the whole gamut. Only the assembly is done here, of those few products, to make the final product (phone, refrigerator, whatever).

Same applies to our smart TV, microwave oven, etc. Why, even the WiFi router and TV settop box! Just flip it over and see what its Made in ... line reads, go ahead do it now I suggest

See below article that came on June 16th 2020, very correctly written:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...s-a-mugs-game/

And the expertise to build these sophisticated components at low cost doesn't come overnight. It takes decades of staying in business and gaining expertise. Along with decades of good governance with 0 corruption in everyday lives, consistently. (Where does governance come in, you may wonder. Well, it comes in to keep costs low. When you have a system where the proprietor of a component mfr (or anybody for that matter) has to pay bribe here there everywhere besides already paying high excise duty, hwy tolls, DG expenses bcoz of irregular and costly power etc, how the hell do you expect him to sell at low prices?) That's what I mean by the foreseeable future part.

Most of these corruption/governance issues exist at the state and local govt level.

We need to fix our governance issues first, before we can dream of such audacious acts as genuinely boycotting Chinese products.

In general, instead of a negative oriented propaganda (like boycott Chinese goods), it is always better to have a positive oriented propaganda (like let's pool in and start a solar cell mfg plant in India, or build an app better than TikTok etc.
vharihar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 09:56   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Use Microsoft Office Lens, I just switched to it. Had a CamScanner paid license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
There is also the Adobe scan app to scan and convert to pdf.
Thanks gentlemen.

Just to add - for my iPhone, I use the native notes app which has a decent feature inbuilt for scanning documents.

For android, will try out your suggestions.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:22   #33
BHPian

Timing of this ban is also interesting. Just few hours before meeting between Indian and Chinese Commanders on 30 June. A smart move by GOI to pressurise and send a strong signal to China and leverage this situation on negotiating table.

Attaching source -
https://www.google.com/amp/s/indiane...-6481917/lite/
steadfast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:22   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Statue of Unity was fabricated in China.
Since I have seen this information shared in numerous threads by many, felt the need to correct. Only the outer bronze cladding panels were fabricated in China, India didn't have a single factory which could do such large fabrication. But the statue is much more than than outer cladding. Steel, Cement concrete, you get the idea. Let's not forget that the statue was made by L&T. Designing was done by a multi-national consortium (Turner, Michael Greaves and Meinhardt. I was working with Meinhardt in Noida back in those days).

Coming back to the topic, this is only a baby step. We need to stop import of cheap Chinese products (Toys, tools, chargers, powerbanks, LED Lights etc) and materials that flood our market. That will make much more impact.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:29   #35
BHPian

Re: National Security Council asks Govt to ban 53 Chinese apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post

The recent sell out of One Plus https://www.business-standard.com/ar...2000078_1.html is such an example.
In marketing there is always something called "Marketing gimmicks" and OnePlus has perfected it. A product is sold out what its demand is more than supply, what if only 100 or 1000 phones were on sale? wouldn't they be sold out very quickly?

From the above article you shared "Until then, it will continue with limited sales twice a week on Mondays and Thursdays.

While OnePlus and Amazon India did not comment on the number of devices put on sale on June 18 (Thursday),..."

Unless we know the actual numbers we will never really know how much they are in demand.
Foxbat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How does the ban work?

1) The apps that are already installed, will they stop working? Doubt it...
2) The apps will vanish from Apple app store or Google play store in India? May be...
3) The apps that are already installed, can't talk to their chinese servers? May be...
4) Can tiktok videos still show up on whatsapp and FB? Think so...
1. All these apps heavily rely on remote connection to servers. All that the Government needs to do is, block the group of servers (the tech savvy can still go through VPN though). This is a continuous process, since they can change IPs and domain names.

2. Not sure about Apple. But Google can definitely remove apps remotely

3. Right. Once the servers are blocked, then downloads and uploads will fail. Hence the app on your device is essentially rendered useless

4. Yes, it can. For already existing content, or content created outside the country, or created through VPN. Unless the Government demands cooperation from FB

Last edited by PearlJam : 30th June 2020 at 10:35.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Wow. So they come inside our territory, break all rules of engagement, kill our men in uniform and then put the blame of everything on us, and we reply by blocking some their apps. This brutal and strict action will strike fear of god into our enemies for all time to come. Seriously, are we truly that helpless?
I hope you are aware we killed about 30-40 of their soldiers also?

And since it seems everyone only believes only Non-Indian media here are some sources:

New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/i...ia-taiwan.html

China has not disclosed the number of casualties on its side, though a report by India Today, a major news outlet, said Indian forces turned over the bodies of 16 Chinese soldiers. An American intelligence official in Washington suggested that China was deliberately hiding its losses, which were comparable to India, ranging from 20 to 30.

US News: https://www.usnews.com/news/world-re...ash-in-decades

American intelligence believes 35 Chinese troops died, including one senior officer, a source familiar with that assessment tells U.S. News.

and finally the horses mouth, Official Chinese Propaganda Mouthpiece:
By Hu Xijin Source:Global Times Published: 2020/6/24

I would like to pay high tribute to the PLA officers and soldiers. China's security and the tranquility of China's borders depend upon them. Thus far, the Chinese military has not released any information about the deceased. As both a former soldier and current media professional, I understand that this is an expedient move with the aim of not irritating public opinion in the two countries, especially in India. This is Beijing's goodwill. I believe that the dead have been treated with the highest respect in the military, and that the information will eventually be reported to society at the right time, so that heroes can be honored and remembered as they deserve.

The Chinese never officially admit casualties and probably will never give an exact number.
Foxbat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:56   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Saving Pennies while Pounds go flying by.

Statue of Unity was fabricated in China. Railway Electrification works were awarded to China. With this outcry, the orders have been annulled and may go to an Indian upfront of Chinese company. High speed Rail rakes were brought from China which failed the Test. PPE kits and Covid testing kits bought from China did prove to be Chinese in function too i.e failed.
We are advised not to buy Chinese product. Do WE go to China for shopping? Most of the Chinese products in market are imported through legal channels. Why the government does not plug those channels. All this "Ban Chinese" hype is raised once the products reach the shops and much after Chinese manufacturers have pocketed the money.
We bought PPE kits when we did not have manufacturing capacity of our own at the start of Covid crisis since our population is huge. Almost every country had to import PPE kits initially from China. We now have the capacity to manufacture few lakhs of PPE kits per day and these are made to a standard and good quality. Change doesn't happen overnight.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th June 2020 at 11:13. Reason: Typos in quoted post.
whencut86 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
We bought PPE kits when we did not have manufacturing capacity of our own at the start of Covid crisis since our population is huge. Almost every country had to import PPE kits initially from China. We now have the capacity to manufacture few lakhs of PPE kits per day and these are made to a standard and good quality. Change doesn't happen overnight.
And in such a short span of few months, Indian manufacturers have outstripped demand of PPE's and prices have crashed.

Source - https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.times...w/76607403.cms
Old 30th June 2020, 11:15   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

The biggest Chinese influence on the Indian market is by their MI/OPPO/VIVO/OnePlus/Realme brands. Boycotting these brands by our citizens will cause a considerable impact on their homegrown electronics brand.

Granted, people will be reluctant to NOT buy the extremely VFM products of these brands in different which have products at a very competitive price point across various consumer goods segments. But, in my opinion, this would be the most effective trade 'danda' that the people can impose in the current situation ,which can act as a rap on the knuckles of China.

I am doing my bit in this aspect

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 30th June 2020 at 11:17.
sagarpadaki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:16   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: National Security Council asks Govt to ban 53 Chinese apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
India joining hands with USA+Japan+Australia, the PM announcing emphasis on producing locally, our proclaimed aim of luring out 1000 companies from China, our refusal to join RCEP, India's growing strategic presence in Vietnam, Philippines, Mauritius, Seychelles, India reaching out to Taiwan and Maldives & Sri Lanka once again veering back to a centre path between China & India are among the many reasons for China's aggression.

* It is like us saying that as parts of SE Asia were strongly influenced by India culture and religion 1500 to 2500 years ago hence Java, Sumatra, Bali islands, Cambodia and the Malaya peninsula belong to us!!
Imagine all this islands being part of a country called Cholanadu , a lot has changed since then.

If you look at this from a Chinese perspective, they had already warned India back in October last year about the revocation of article 370. Their foreign ministry had reportedly said that "This is unlawful and void and this is not effective in any way and will not change the fact that the area is under Chinese actual control,".

This is a picture of disputed areas, yep, your were drawing a map of our India as per our political wish list all the way from school.

Government bans 59 Chinese Apps, including TikTok & UC Browser-img_20200630_104657.jpg (Wikipedia)

Should we take back territory from China or its proxy pakistan or its other proxy Nepal? I guess China has been making enough friends since 62.

It looks like the entire 'head' of our political map is up for dispute, not just LAC, LOAC, LOC. Our diplomatic ties with more powerful friends either existing or new is the only way to fix this now.

A bunch of apps? Really?
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Yes, India map we drew in our school days was always a dream that our governments enforced on us. As far as I remember it was a crime to draw it with the disputed areas being part of the neighbouring country even if the other one has actual control over it.

For a normal citizen, there is always two truths - The actual one and the one the government want you to believe. If you want peace of mind and a good life for your kids, you stick to the government's version. Try and get more information about the actual truth and you will be categorized as an Anti-national or Naxalite before you know it.
padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:36   #43
BHPian

What's nationalism or anti nationalism or a particular party got to do with this?

Sorry but kosfactor and padmrajravi what is it that you propose? That we redraw the maps to show the disputed territories as not in our claim? Sorry but this is ridiculous.

What our maps show are our government's interpretation of our sovereign territories (including ones that are under occupation by other states). We might not have the capability or will to enforce it for the last 70 odd years but that's another matter. Redrawing the maps themselves solves nothing!
digitalnirvana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:02   #44
BHPian

Guys this is what I think. Restricting myself majorly to TikTok as that is what people are discussing but applies more or less to others too.

Economic Impact: As per what I have read online TikTok has a net worth of 100 Billion USD. If true, India just banned a company worth 100 Billion. It generated almost 10% of its revenue from India.

Social Impact: Although some other app may take its place but it was not being moderated correctly with a lot of hate and violence being encouraged.
TikTok has 50 million monthly visitors from India, UC Browser is the 2nd most popular browser after Chrome, CamScanner IMHO, is the most popular scanner app in India. Just think the impact removing these apps will make.

Legal Impact: It violated the data localisation laws of the land. I remember, people were voting against and terming it as an invasion of privacy on using the arogtya setu app. Guys were all being so concerned about their privacy. These apps, I am told have a backdoor installed in them and are a huge concern for data privacy (I may be wrong).

Emotional Impact: Saw a video in which a CRPF Jawan/ITBP Jawan was moving towards the frontline on Indo-China border, he made a humble request that please use your fingers to fight China when the forces are ready to fight in combat. The least you can do.

Net-Neutrality: Online artist @Salonayyy's Anti-china rant was removed from TikTok. Now tell me censoring data not comfortable to your views, is it not a violation of Freedom of Expression?

Some other things that come to mind:

Send a message before the Lt. Gen talks that we mean business. If somebody thinks that it is insignificant to delete apps, just remember what Mukesh Ambani said "DATA is the new OIL".

It will also reflect as a measure of solidarity with our fellow brethren on the border, we are behind you and support you like a rock.

JAI HIND.

Last edited by nasa_hubble : 30th June 2020 at 12:06.
nasa_hubble is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:09   #45
BHPian

Let's hope this is a new beginning! Few weeks back I was searching for a wireless earphones and many of my friends advised me to go for "VFM" One plus earphones. Usually I would have gone ahead and purchased those earphones. But I decided to do something different this time and found out that some % of Sony branded products are imported from Vietnam. So I paid a lil bit extra and got Sony earphones so that I can do my part in the fight against the dragon.
IntoTheStorm is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed