Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:42   #46
BHPian

Re: Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?

Fogging occurs only with cloth mask and surgical masks which are not airtight. They are worn to protect the public from an asymptomatic covid patient.

If you are going out to the public and you want to protect yourself, you need a good n95 mask. These provide good airseal and do not fog.
I always wear a n95 mask when I go outside. I wear a disposable surgical mask over this and dispose the surgical mask before I reenter my home.
Sree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:45   #47
BHPian

Re: Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?

There is anti fog spray from Muc-Off to keep helmet visor fog free. I use this on my spectacles as well. I have the habit of wearing a mask while riding motorcycle and bicycle due to the pollution.

Link here

You can buy this at motorcycle safety gear shops.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 01:17   #48
BHPian

Sharing what has worked for me since day1.

My wife used Prana Air mask [since before Covid-19 times] for the same reason as it has a USB-rechargeable fan inside that creates a downward draft. One's breath never comes up towards the eyes.

Furthermore, it has a velcro based joint and a broad strap that I canwear for hours without a problem.

Agreed, it looks weird - but allows me to work in office without a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-img20200506wa0018.jpeg  

Manas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 01:30   #49
BHPian

I have a slightly icky solution and most (including my family) may not even consider it but cleaning lenses with your spit gently worked into the lens with a cloth / handkerchief or even just the tip of your finger, followed by a wipe down using a wet wipe is very effective.

I am a cerified scuba diver and fogging up of the lenses / face mask is extremely common. I learnt this trick early on from my instructor and which has been handy ever since.
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 09:52   #50
BHPian

I usually wear Honeywell N95 gave mask which gives a pretty good fit. Breathing does take more effort, but I am used to it since I have been wearing it last couple of years when the air quality is bad in Bangalore.

Since the covid, I have been wearing face shield along with my mask. It's one of those cheap ones, but they do wrap around my face and covers half my ears. I have been considering getting the steelbird's face shield, https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0897TYXTT/..._-baaFbBNMT0KG.
Old 5th July 2020, 11:34   #51
BHPian

Today I realised that my N95 mask has a small solid strip at the top which can be used to tighten the mask around the nose which not only makes the mask more comfortable to wear but it also reduces fogging of my glasses to a great extent.

Life suddenly got easier
Attached Thumbnails
Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-img_20200705_112904.jpg  

Old 10th July 2020, 13:47   #52
BHPian

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-img_20200710_133933.jpg

The only solution to stop fogging is to prevent air flowing towards the glasses.

The N95 masks generally have a metal strip near the bridge of the nose. Pressing it down so that it forms a tight fit is the easiest way to prevent fogging! Used to work well for me.

On the disposable masks, stick a tape at the same place on the nose bridge and you should be good
Old 10th July 2020, 18:05   #53
BHPian

Inspired this post, I transferred the metal clip from the N95 (strap broke) to the normal 3 ply mask. And it works surprisingly well!

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-img_20200710_141131.jpg
sagaranjos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:57   #54
BHPian

While driving, it becomes very irritating when the glasses fog up. Wearing one with nose-pin did tend to take care of the problem, but it used to be very suffocating. I know that is the point of wearing masks, being air-tight, but I. just wish the pins were adjustable.

For me, wearing a mask underneath (photo attached below) the specs solved the problem. I got a N95 mask without the pin. The key is to wear the mask first and the specs later, all the way up to just slightly beneath the eyes. This seems to have done the trick and I am no longer facing problem of glass-fogging, and it is also much more comfortable than wearing one with a pin.

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-img_3443.jpg
hridaygandhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 14:38   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting points and counterpoints about wearing masks and preventing fogging. Thought I might as well pile in with my 2 bits, considering I (and my profession) have been wearing masks as well as prescription spectacles for so long and for so many years, that we've lost count. And yes, before I forget, I might as well tell you that I've spent a lot of time in microbiology labs for many years. So let me put in some observations:

1) Don't skimp on masks, don't try out cloth-only masks. Use standard N95 / N99 or at least FFP1 grade masks. Masks are more easily available now, and their prices have dropped too (and dropping further).

2) Masks without the strip of metal over the bridge of the nose are useless - we'd be breathing into our eyes all day, as well as fogging up the spectacles lenses. Adapt that strip over the nose with the index and middle fingers of both hands before putting on the loops over the ears. If it still doesn't work well, stick a thin strip of foam corresponding to the bridge of the nose.

3) Make sure the mask fits and seals well. Breathe in and out hard, and you should be able to see the mask puff out / get sucked in. Beards don't allow such a seal to happen.

4) Make sure you only handle masks with cleaned hands. Wash hands before and after putting on and taking off a mask.

5) Never wear the mask under the nostrils, even when not in the vicinity of a source of infection. Whatever the outer surface of the mask filtered out, you're breathing right back in!

6) Cold spectacle lenses tend to fog more, even with minor leaks - so keeping the AC vents of your car turned towards your face causes more fogging, even though it might feel as if you are feeling less suffocated by the mask. The suffocation is psychological - you are not running out of oxygen supply!

7) Plenty of anti-fog solutions available - what works for your windscreen, works for the spectacles too. Shaving foam, Proklear, Rain-X, any liquid soap diluted with water, Lenshine or similar spectacle anti-fogging cleaners, heck, even saliva - everything works. Use whatever suits you! (won't recommend licking your lenses, though! )

8) Valved masks are good for anti-pollution use, but not in these times of pandemic. Valves allow easy breathing out, but your viruses (if any) go out unimpeded as well (and may cause an infection for others). After a few uses (or in case of substandard masks), the valves can jam up and let you breathe in unfiltered air. If you have a stock of valved masks, it's best to tape off the inner opening to prevent air exchange through the valve at all.

9) Reusing masks: don't wash them, don't get them wet - that ruins the filtration efficiency of expensive masks. Easiest is to sun-dry a used mask for 2-3 days while you rotate use between 3-4 masks. So a set of 3-4 masks can be used in rotation for 2+ months. UV light (254 nm wavelength) exposure for 30 minutes works well, if you have the equipment. Steam exposure over boiling water for 10 minutes works well too, but might cause the ladies of the house to get upset because of your kitchen invasion.

10) Don't get wet in the rain - whether you are wearing a mask or not, the likelihood of getting infected with Coronavirus rises exponentially, especially in a crowded area where everybody is wet from the rain.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 12th July 2020 at 14:46.
SS-Traveller is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 17:51   #56
BHPian

As someone who wears specs, I too am facing this issue a lot. But recently, my brother got a 3 masks pack from Dmart for Rs. 99 and that has the clip too on top and the clip helped me a lot in securing the mask and the fog on specs is gone completely.

If you live near a Dmart or anyways are planning to go for some groceries, I recommend checking these 3 pack of masks there. They look like those wildcraft masks available on amazon.
Old 29th August 2020, 09:54   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hat tip to Vid6639 for sharing this link - Wildcraft. Tried them on with goggles. Absolutely no fogging up .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 10:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes , the Wildcraft ones are a boon to the spectacles wearers. I use these.

And in the rare event I forget to pick one , I revert back to my ever reliable Hanky.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 14:27   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hat tip to Vid6639 for sharing this link - Wildcraft. Tried them on with goggles. Absolutely no fogging up .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Oh yes , the Wildcraft ones are a boon to the spectacles wearers. I use these.
Even with large sunglasses, no issue at all. I have tried 10 different masks and these are the only ones that stop glasses from fogging up. On the other hand, of the pack of 3, one had its elastic band prematurely wear / stretch out:
Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-20200927-10.53.55.jpg
Old 21st October 2020, 10:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even with large sunglasses, no issue at all. I have tried 10 different masks and these are the only ones that stop glasses from fogging up. On the other hand, of the pack of 3, one had its elastic band prematurely wear / stretch out:
I recently bought this same mask from Flipkart (W95 plus Grindle something).

However, i am in two minds now. It does not mention it being an "N95" mask. Instead its a WN95 mask.

Could anyone suggest if WN95 mask is as safe as the N95 mask ? What is the difference between the two.

I hope WN95 is not just a marketing gimmick.

What does WHO say about WN95 masks ?

Most Viewed