Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 10:00   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?

Note: You MUST wear sunglasses or specs when you step out. Covid-19 can spread through the eyes - related search.

Thus, whenever I step out, I wear sunglasses. For night-time, I got zero power glasses made from Lenskart. But there is a major problem! When I exhale, the breath comes out from above the mask and fogs the glasses up. I asked Vid6639 and he is facing the same problem. In fact, he said Moderator Eddy had called him asking for a solution to the same.

How to solve? I found a way to minimise it by moving the mask down (like in this pic), till it just about covers the nose, but if I breath even a little heavier, the glasses fog up. See how low I've placed the mask here:
Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-20200628-09.19.28.jpg

Now look at what this gent has done. He's pulled the mask up unusually high, and into his sunglass area:
Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-honda.jpg

EDIT: Found a solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hat tip to Vid6639 for sharing this link - Wildcraft. Tried them on with goggles. Absolutely no fogging up .

Last edited by GTO : 29th August 2020 at 09:54.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:13   #2
BHPian

re: Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?

My wife uses glasses and had the same problem. I shared this link with her. I didn't check if the issue got resolved! Will check.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-to-keep-your-glasses-fog-free-while-wearing-a-mask

Quote:
simply wash your lenses with soapy water and shake off the excess liquid. You can allow your lenses to air dry or gently wipe them off with a soft cloth before wearing your glasses again. Why does this method work? The soap leaves behind a thin film that acts as a fog barrier.

If you have special coatings on your lenses, check with your optician before trying this
Miyata is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:19   #3
BHPian

re: Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?

My father-in-law has come up with a unique solution, you might want to call it Jugaad. Fold a paper napkin and insert it between the upper part of mask & nose, from where the air travels to glasses. Basically, you create a blockage.

It works for him, for what ever time he has to wear a mask which is usually not a very long duration. Might not work for people who have to wear both of these for a long duration but worth giving it a try. Can replace paper napkin with a soft cloth, I reckon.

P.S> I have not tried it yet but he was pretty happy with this.
Engine_Roars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:19   #4
BANNED

I'm an Ophthalmologist and I have experienced the same while working in COVID wards and working in the eye casualty here in AIIMS as well. A few fallacies that i would like to correct,
Yes, research says covid could spread through eyes but in order to prevent that you need a proper protective pair of glasses that make a good seal, not your regular sunglasses or prescription glasses.
Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-screenshot_20200630100951_samsung-internet.jpg
Something like this

Even then, goggles will only protect your eyes and not the rest of your head. Best measure is still to practice social distancing and if in a situation where you can't avoid it, to minimise the duration. Say, something like picking up an order is not an issue where your contact is for seconds, but riding next to each other in a car should be for obvious reasons.
Also, a faceshield is less prone to getting condensation and also easier to clean if you get it, but yes still gets it.

The only way i have found to stop this fogging is to get a perfectly fitting mask, preferably with a valved filter. So that has to be an N95 mask, the regular surgical masks or cloth masks will let some air through the material and rest up near your nose which causes condensation.

Though I will suggest to everybody who can, don't wear specs/ glasses/ goggles with your mask while driving since the fit can sometimes change and it fogs up. I commonly encounter this while seeing patients but i can stop, go out, fix it and resume but you don't always get this luxury on the road where it can be a matter of safety for you and others on the road.
If you are going out with your own family, it is not imperative to wear a mask in the car itself. For others, if you are not comfortable with violating social distancing, please ask the others to sit at the back seat while you drive.
Just my 2 cents as per my experience.
agambhandari is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I wear glasses everyday and whenever Im in a humid environment, this does happen. Especially dangerous when driving.

My solution is:

1. Like GTO said, pull the mask down. But this doesnt help all the way, and also makes you exposed to the elements and the purpose of the mask is diluted.
2. Use a hand to press the top part to not let air through to glasses.
3. Breath slowly and through the mouth.

Whatever the solution I've been using has put me on a handicap mode. Would love to see the community's input on this.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

I think it's only a matter of time till lens companies add the anti fog coating on lenses like we have for bathroom mirrors.

Here's an article that shows this problem is worldwide.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/glas...ronavirus.html
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:42   #7
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Couple of cents from my side:

1. I wash my spects at least once a day and the soap residue does help in reducing the fogging issue.
2. Using a mask which has a clip or some similar mechanism that pinches the mask tightly around the nose reduces or even eliminates the exhalation escaping from the top of the mask.

I have heard that the masks with a filter cap, eliminate glass fogging, but no personal experience as such.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 10:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Now look at what this gent has done. He's pulled the mask up unusually high, and into his sunglass area:
Pulling up the mask definitely works, I tried it last week and there was no fogging. You can also look for masks which have exhaling valve towards towards the side, that should solve the problem as air is directed towards the side. Some good quality masks have foam lining on the nose which helps in preventing air escape (apart from comfort). Here is my colleague wearing similar mask with prescription glasses:
Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-20200630_104826.jpg
ast.ggn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:11   #9
BHPian

I use a face mask which has a clip at top/nose area. Due to that you can adjust the mask in such a way that it blocks air from.travelling upwards.

The pics below will demonstrate. No matter how heavily I breathe, my glasses don't fog up.
Attached Thumbnails
Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-20200630_110434.jpg  

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-20200630_110445.jpg  

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-20200630_110454.jpg  

nerd1200 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:13   #10
BHPian

I have a face mask which has a flexible wire at the top, it helps in making sure that there is no gap left. I wear a glass which also offers little bit of side protection.

I pull my masks up where the glasses sit on top of mask, absolutely no fogging.

Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-smartselect_20200630110631_gallery.jpg
sinharishi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

I guess the fogging is because of gaps between mask and face. Get a mask with a nose clip and ensure gaps are minimized and that should stop or minimize the fogging.

Worked for me. [i wear spectacles]
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:56   #12
BHPian

I haven't really got much to add. As others mentioned :

Get a mask with a valve instead of one without. I have used both types and there is a significant difference.

For those wearing specs like me, we cannot use goggles. For those without specs, use something like this

Or else use a face visor like this though this is not practical in case of driving or riding a bike.

Personally when driving I use a mask with AC ON at full blast and it keeps the fogging to manageable levels.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 30th June 2020 at 11:58.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:11   #13
BHPian

I face this same issue and it gets annoying at times. Try wearing a good quality surgical mask slightly higher up, it negates the fogging upto quite an extent.
If you're wearing an N95 mask, look for one with a clip so that you can keep it tight above the nose area. You might want to try a mask with a respiratory valve, it helps a bit.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Having suffered through this several times , and having tried different types of masks , I finally reverted to the mechanism that is working best for me - A handkerchief tied around covering my nose and mouth. Working well so far. Face mask + sunglasses (or spectacles) : How to prevent the glass from fogging up?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1593499448.104672.jpg
jkrishnakj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Common enough problem and faced by all who wear spectacles. I do not wear mask inside the car, because it is usually me alone or my wife and I who are the only passengers in the car. Therefore, driving is never hampered.

For all other occasions, I keep adjusting the mask a little up and down whenever I face the fogging issue. A slight annoyance, but nothing too problematic either. I do not think there is any foolproof solution yet which can completely eliminate this fogging issue.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks