Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2020, 06:59   #16
BHPian

re: Inspiring story of Pratap, the Drone scientist (Turns out to be a conman)

Sorry friends, but there have been some really disappointing observations while checking the facts regarding these so-called inspiring stories of Pratap.

Just go through these following links-

1. https://www.altnews.in/fact-check-di...tes-into-drdo/

2. https://www.opindia.com/2020/07/dron...ck-fake-claim/

Now we can only say,
All that goes Viral is not Real !

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 10th July 2020 at 07:00. Reason: Correction
Dr.Vikas is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 21:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Sorry friends, but there have been some really disappointing observations while checking the facts regarding these so-called inspiring stories of Pratap.
Even we are shocked now. I don't know how to react to this. We had thought he was a genuine person. Even a week back we had a programme with him. We are getting numerous calls now claiming if it's true.

First programme we had with him was about 2 years ago. He had claimed saying he was working with DRDO and the details about the programme and all cannot be revealed. We really thought he was genuine. Whenever i checked via Google it never revealed anything. He used to say he is being tracked by govt. I'm still not sure now whether the claims he made was true or not. I'm sorry if i had sent any wrong info here

Last edited by aah78 : 11th July 2020 at 02:46. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote only relevant portions of posts. Thank you!
avaneesh. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 20:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaneesh. View Post
I know him personally as we have invited him for many programmes on youth development. He works for DRDO now specially appointed by PMO. He used to work for Airbus too in France. He didn't want to use his talent on other countries and companies. He wanted to work in our nation only. He is one of the top most young scientists in India. Feels very proud to hear about a youngster advocating working for the country
When you say something like "He works for DRDO" and such, it would mean as much. You made it all sound as if it was credible and that you "know this for a fact". What you probably should have said was "He told me that he works for DRDO".
Animesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 10:49   #19

This guy is total fake,

In video interview, he explains with tears like how he struggled to build drones, everybody insulted him, he didn't have any money etc... but nowhere is any of his drones shown or demonstrated

The only drones he is pictured with is ACSL, which is a Japanese company, and ACSL has denied any association with Pratap

All awards and job offers he claims are imaginary

He claims to have made drones with mixer grinder parts, which are usually heavy AC parts, and cannot be used in flying objects which use light-weight DC batteries

Last but not least, from personal experience, I know Indian Customs dont allow individuals to carry drones either into or out of Indian airports, they need DGCA, MOA etc approvals which an individual cannot get, but only companies like Amazon or Flipkart can manage these licenses through a painful process

But he is a good actor, and probably got his father/family/unknown people invested in some air tickets to travel to some exhibitions, and he milked that opportunity to achieve this fake fame through emotional drama
kishgator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 10:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
When you say something like "He works for DRDO" and such, it would mean as much. You made it all sound as if it was credible and that you "know this for a fact". What you probably should have said was "He told me that he works for DRDO".
Yes i know. I believed him. We believed him. I don't know why we did. But we just did.

I will tell you all what happened. We run a small volunteers NGO, where we working professionals go to remote schools in rural Karnataka, especially in the district of dakshina kannada and teach them maths , science commerce and arts on weekends. We have been working closely with district administration from the year 2014 and helping students understand the above said subjects in a practical manner. We are not taking any funds from anyone but spending our own money for the same. Not for profits, not for publicity but just to empower rural school children. This has been continued from the year 2014.

Now i joined this organisation in the year 2017. Since then we also started get some eminent personalities and give a talk to only rural government school children and boost their confidence. Many socially responsible celebrities, IAS officers, Rtd judges also help us in this.

In the year 2018 we started a new programme where we also started involve youth and get them trained on their soft skills before coming out of college. For one such programme he was a guest. In that programme he openly said that he works for DRDO on developing drones and all. In a hall full of students, professors that too among 100+ crowd , would you or would you not believe him. I just did. That's what happened. Then we organised one more programme where in he was supposed to talk with young kids of 8th standard of a school in belagavi. That happened just a week back. Now we are getting calls to verify his credibility. So now we have a lot of what ifs and if nots. But this is a lesson for us. Not to believe anyone blindly.

Thank you

Last edited by Samurai : 12th July 2020 at 11:05. Reason: many typos
avaneesh. is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 10:59   #21
BHPian

I think mods should change the title or close the thread. I saw his interview yesterday in a Kannada channel and I believe beyond doubt he is a fake.

Never talks anything about the technology, just the emotional background story of poor boy that everyone wants to hear.

Last edited by doxinboy : 12th July 2020 at 11:01. Reason: Autocorrect
doxinboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 11:03   #22
Team-BHP Support

I saw this thread yesterday, and I am glad he was caught within a week after going viral. Sometimes these con artists go on for years and decades without getting caught. But the Internet phenomena of going viral can make the news reach many skeptics who may decide to fact check. I had the habit of fact checking whatsapp forwards within my family group. It generally annoyed the person who forwarded it, so I have stopped that habit now, at least in family groups.

I hope this incident encourages more people to develop the habit of critical thinking and checking the veracity of tall claims.
Samurai is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 11:11   #23
BHPian

Re: Inspiring story of Pratap, the Drone scientist (Turns out to be a conman)

Quote:
Yes i know. I believed him. We believed him. I don't know why we did. But we just did.

I will tell you all what happened. We run a small volunteers NGO, where we working professionals go to remote schools in rural Karnataka, especially in the district of dakshina kannada and teach them maths , science commerce and arts on weekends. We have been working closely with district administration from the year 2014 and helping students understand the above said subjects in a practical manner. We are not taking any funds from anyone but spending our own money for the same. Not for profits, not for publicity but just to empower rural school children. This has been continued from the year 2014.

Thank you
That's very noble. I used to be a resource person under scientist student interaction program initiated by Prof CNR Rao, conducted by KRVP and would like to be part of your group. I can't PM you or send mail. May I request you to give me your contact details.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 11:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
That's very noble. I used to be a resource person under scientist student interaction program initiated by Prof CNR Rao, conducted by KRVP and would like to be part of your group. I can't PM you or send mail. May I request you to give me your contact details.
That's awesome sir. Team-BHP never fails to amuse us. Thanks a lot Sir, We would be great to have you in our team. .

Last edited by Aditya : 19th July 2020 at 16:12. Reason: Typo; email address deleted
Old 12th July 2020, 12:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I hope this incident encourages more people to develop the habit of critical thinking and checking the veracity of tall claims.
Reminds one of the Emperor's new clothes

Today's Vijayavani paper has these two articles about the "scientist".

Link1

Link2

The summary of the articles:

1. He has not completed BSc. He is avoiding going to the college now.
2. Talked his way through and people donated money with which he has purchased real estate. A religious institute and teachers have helped him with 8 lakhs for drone demo in Germany.
3. When asked to give a demo, evades quoting "missed patent".
AltoLXI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 12:58   #26
Team-BHP Support

Pratap succeeded in fooling so many people so easily because people are conditioned to accept something if spoken in the language of science. I had discussed this phenomena earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Since science had such a spectacular success in 20th century, many pseudosciences are now described in the language of science. That is enough to satisfy people who feel they are scientifically inclined. Unfortunately, most people are not equipped with enough scientific knowledge to figure out where science ends and fiction takes off. It is like watching a science fiction, where you don't know which is possible, and which is not.
So one has to practice the art of poking holes in the story. Like any other skill, one can get better with time and practice.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now i joined this organisation in the year 2017. Since then we also started get some eminent personalities and give a talk to only rural government school children and boost their confidence. Many socially responsible celebrities, IAS officers, Rtd judges also help us in this.

In the year 2018 we started a new programme where we also started involve youth and get them trained on their soft skills before coming out of college. For one such programme he was a guest. In that programme he openly said that he works for DRDO on developing drones and all. In a hall full of students, professors that too among 100+ crowd , would you or would you not believe him. I just did. That's what happened. Then we organised one more programme where in he was supposed to talk with young kids of 8th standard of a school in belagavi. That happened just a week back. Now we are getting calls to verify his credibility. So now we have a lot of what ifs and if nots. But this is a lesson for us. Not to believe anyone blindly.

Thank you
We see this many times. Event organizers invite speakers, and publish their accomplishments without verifying anything at all. This usually results in people embellishing their past experience, designation and roles and responsibilities. If you think from the perspective of the audience, both in your seminars and here on Team BHP, they trusted you since you claimed to know this man and vouched for the fact that he worked for XXX. They got cheated because you failed to check to credentials of the speaker before inviting him. When challenged about your claims, you initially said we shouldn't discuss this publicly.

Laughable and disappointing. Hope you learn to verify the speakers prior to inviting them or vouching for them in future.
Lalvaz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Laughable and disappointing. Hope you learn to verify the speakers prior to inviting them or vouching for them in future.
Yes Lalvaz, I know. That's what I said. I agree. This has been an eye opener for me . Even we belived the words of TV channels and social media. Before we got him he was a hyped up star around karnataka.
It is the same people who created a gaga around him, are trolling him now. That's how the world works right.
So yes, from my side i/ we could have been a little more careful. We just hoped that an event with him would be motivational and inspirational for students who would then pursue on their own goals. So all that has happened around us got us to put our thinking hats again. Moreover I personally would be little bit more careful in our future endeavours. . But that doesn't stop us from trying, to bring a change, and work on our goals, on which we have been working for last 8 years.
avaneesh. is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:47   #29
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me of the story my friend told me about a classmate of his. The guy was asked for his technical experience in a walk-in interview. He claimed that he could not discuss the projects that he had worked on, as they were "secret projects for DRDO". Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

Don't get me wrong, he was no conman. This was a case of someone who happened to graduate during the downturn in 2001/2002 and tired of recruiters asking fresh engineering graduates like him for experience, trying something just for the heck of it
StarrySky is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 22:37   #30
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am not sure how many Parents would have scolded their children, while showing him as role model. My son was beyond me after knowing he is a fake and had sympathy for parents

Last edited by Aditya : 19th July 2020 at 16:13. Reason: Non-forum smiley replaced
Closed Thread

Most Viewed