Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2007, 16:22   #1
BHPian

Fuel with additives ? Are they good for NEW cars ??

Hi TeamBHPians

I purchased a new Zen Estilo y'day. I have a question reg fuel with additives. My instructor at Maruti Driving School told me to always go in for Unleaded Petrol and not for petol+additives (Eg: Speed/Power/Xtra Premium)...

Are these new fuel+additives harmful for new cars? I always put Xtra Permium for my bike (for past 5+ yrs) and I feel that pickup is smooth and Mileage is very good.

Plz guide me.
Old 16th February 2009, 13:18   #2

Fuel additives are of many types like for performance of the engine (Octane Boosters) and for clean operation of the engine (IFTEX System G(petrol) and System D(diesel).
The fuels like Speed/Power/Xtra Premium are high octane fuels which are good for the engine's long life performance and fuel efficiencies as well.
You have a brand new car so you can go for these high octane fuels but in case of fuel additives like System G(petrol) you should wait till 5000 km after that you can use the same.
Old 16th February 2009, 14:26   #3
BANNED

@Narencar. You are more or less on the right track. What he is worried about are the premium fuels.

I see you are in a Euro-III city so the normal petrol is 91RON (min) while IOC-XP claims to be 93RON. Hardly matters. At one time Indian petrol used to be infamous for high gum/sludge. Premium fuels have additives for taking care of this. Keeps the fuel system clean. Today I suspect with the changes in the refining techniques for E-III (and beyond) gumming may nto be such a serious problem.

I would suggest as a note of caution - use normal petrol but every third or fourth filling put in premium.
Old 16th February 2009, 20:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

The so called premium fuels are no higher in octane than normal unleaded! There can be no harm is using them in your new Zen. However, using ordinary petrol + System G might be a better idea... and will be cheaper too.

Filling premium petrol at every third/forth is a bit dicy as the premium petrol you put in will get mixed with the ordinary gas in your tank. The dilution will likely make it less effective/ineffective. If you are filling in an almost empty tank, then it might be ok.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:56   #5
BHPian

Thanks so much guys

Dear BHPians, thanks so much for your inputs...I 've been using Xtra Premium throught and my car looks good in pickup and mileage.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:22   #6
BHPian

Dear SGIITK what do you recommend for my 3 month 7k km Dzire ZDi? I have been using xrtamile all this while. Going by the simple logic that the combustion is better in it. Not sure about the cons though. Filled regular a few times but never on an empty tank. It was 40-60 percent empty. Rest being xtramile. There was no change in milage.

Should I continue feeding my car xtramile always or should I do it once in a while?
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:30   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Please continue discussion here (premium vs normal fuel during run-in period of the car).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks