Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Old 22nd November 2020, 18:06   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Almost got fined for not wearing a mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

You might step out of the car after parking and forget to put the mask on.
--------------
The jury is still out.
This has now been reversed after public outcry. As long as you are alone in the car with windows rolled up, no need to wear a mask.
Old 27th December 2020, 13:57   #77
Senior - BHPian

I was strolling at bandstand with a friend on Friday. She was wearing a mask and so was I.

Because of me wearing it since an hour, I put it down on my chin for 10 seconds to scratch the area between my upper lip and nose. Yeah, in this Mumbai heat, its not always comfortable to keep wearing the mask for hours.

The entire conversation happened in Hindi but typing it in English for everyone.

As I was placing it back on my nose, 2 guys and 1 girl came like Ninja's in front of me and my friend and said 200 rupees fine, tell me your name.

For 2 seconds I was stunned at the pace at which they appeared out of now where. Gathering myself I said 'I was scratching my face so it was down for a couple of seconds'.

The lady said 'Pay your fine and leave' in a very arrogant tone.

Living in India I know the kind of scams people are capable of.

I asked them to show their ids and receipt book, now they stuttered for a second and instantly I knew its fake.

I said 'Won't pay any fine, call the cops, make a challan and take me to court, I want to challenge this'.

They are like 'You don't have 200 rupees too, I will give you 200 rupees but don't do all this' and with this they physically tried to stop me by touching my shoulder with a hard push.

By then a small crowd had gathered and their business was at stake as if he let me go, other's around would not pay too when caught or the word would spread that this is all fake.

I warned them that the next time he touches, I would beat all of them black and blue and started walking, not a word after that, we just walked.

10 mins later, we were sitting a little ahead on the steps and talking. These thugs came again and there were 3 youngsters, maybe around 23-24, 2 guys and a girl.

They all had their masks on with one guy having his mask below his nose is what I could see from behind. The thug gang demands they pay 200 rupees. I can see from behind he is making him scan something and he is entering something on Google pay. Immediately I should from behind 'Don't pay them, they are fake'. The boy turns around and says 'Sir, is that so?'. I tell him that they are fake and just mugging people like this since sometime'. The girl from the thug gang comes near me and says 'We let you off, do you want to go to Jail? I just ignore her and tell the kid to not pay and I will deal with them if they threaten you, don't worry'.

He closes his Google pay, all 3 of them stare at me but what can they do?

We enjoy our time at Bandstand, walk back to the car after an hour and head home.

Everything is a business in India
humyum is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 15:00   #78
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Interesting read

Panic seems to be the best business tactics these days!

Wear mask, even if you are alone, else you will die.

Slight variation in COVID detected in UK, shutdown everything during night, else you will die.

Buy only 5-star rated car, else you are putting your family in danger.

Don't buy foreign brand cars, else your identity will be questioned.

Amount of paranoia shown by most people (even by very few Bhpians) makes me amazed, thankfully mods have been quick to react as always, its different in real life though. Glad you stood up and questioned these idiots, we need lot more of people like you both online and offline.
giri1.8 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 15:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore the Govt. has handed them commando uniform. And these lads take their job seriously, like they've been trained by the army themselves. Few even got beaten up by public. So, that's life as usual for the common man here
Quote:
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 15:39   #80
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
I was strolling at bandstand with a friend on Friday.
Cant believe this is happening on bandstand. There's a cop car parked near Mannat / Kane road junction most of the time and there also cops in uniform patrolling the promenade.

Thanks for posting. Have shared this with a few friends.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 15:12   #81
BHPian

Dear Friends, Iíve got fined twice till date (1) in first instance was driving in Pune, there were three of us in car, as my glasses (not goggles) were fogging up I had taken off my mask. I had stopped on a red light when one of the other two took off his mask to adjust the band and viola the police standing there sprung into action, first took photo of the passengers from outside & then asked to pullover aside. And we had to shell out Rs. 500 x 2 passengers. No questions were asked & receipt was provided- separate for each passenger. (2) was on state highway in Gujarat, again three passengers in car. I was the only one not wearing mask for the same obvious reason & one of the intersections the police flag down the car. Had to shell out Rs. 1000/- & again receipt was provided.
My car has two air filters, one fitted by company in dashboard & the other a Philips one with HEPA filtration. But there would have been no point in telling the cops.
Posted the fines as donations towards corona measure
Old 23rd January 2021, 16:20   #82
BANNED

Pune shows the common sense way, finally! Hope this isn't another fake news article though!

Citizens get relief from wearing masks inside privately owned vehicles while commuting; rules unchanged for cabs and public transport.

https://deccanexpress.co/pune/pune-c...ansport-15510/
Zen2001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 16:22   #83
BHPian

PMC mask rule relief for families in personal car

Read more at:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/80415023.cms

A little to late for realization maybe. Since the vaccines are out now and fines cannot be implemented.
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 20:05   #84
BANNED

This is getting absolutely illogical now. I'm no lawyer, but technically the PMC could be held in contempt of court as the decision mandating mask wear (irrespective of the family status) in a private car was passed by "ours truly", purely on the premise that any vehicle on a public road constitutes a public space! Good luck PMC

Last edited by Zen2001 : 23rd January 2021 at 20:07. Reason: Typo
Zen2001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 16:44   #85
BHPian

Quote:

Mask compulsory when travelling alone, Delhi govt. tells HC

Affidavit came in response to plea by advocate challenging ₹500 challan issued to him

The Delhi government on Wednesday informed the High Court that wearing a mask is compulsory for everyone when travelling alone in private vehicles due to the pandemic.

The Delhi government reiterated that the Delhi Disaster Management Authority (DDMA) had mandated wearing mask by any person who is moving in any public place, including inside their private vehicles as early as April.

Source

Rs 2,000 penalty in Delhi for not wearing mask, rises from Rs 500

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on November 19 announced that the penalty for not wearing a mask in public places has been raised to Rs 2000 from the existing Rs 500.

Source

The govt is super busy to find innovative ways to fine people so that more money can be collected to fill their coffers and sit on it. Given that they have this thing called cops at their disposal (i would personally call them collection agents). So that money can be collected from people who are not spreading any virus.

I seriously don't understand how can we applaud a rule like this, where a person travelling alone in is car needs to compulsorily wear a mask when he is at no risk of spreading the virus.

If the govt was serious at creating an ecosystem of social distancing and make everyone wear mask, then maybe the country would not have been in the situation that it is in today.

Sadly even the govt is selfish in these times.

Last edited by frewper : 4th May 2021 at 16:45.
frewper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 19:40   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
I seriously don't understand how can we applaud a rule like this, where a person travelling alone in is car needs to compulsorily wear a mask when he is at no risk of spreading the virus.
Just because you sit inside the car doesn't mean you can't spread the virus. The moment you open the doors or windows, the air borne particles go outside and a innocent bystander who is passing by without a N95 mask can get infected(assuming the person in the car as covid).

Or if its a taxi, passengers can get it from air borne particles still inside the car from the driver or from the previous ride.

Its a good move the government has increase the fine.
Old 4th May 2021, 19:57   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Just because you sit inside the car doesn't mean you can't spread the virus. The moment you open the doors or windows, the air borne particles go outside and a innocent bystander who is passing by without a N95 mask can get infected(assuming the person in the car as covid).

Or if its a taxi, passengers can get it from air borne particles still inside the car from the driver or from the previous ride.

In a taxi or public vehicle, the mask rule makes sense. In your own private vehicle, it does not. Even if you wear a mask, you are still breathing in your vehicle. All the mask does is slow down and reduce the extent of spread of the virus. If you spend 30 minutes in your car, the air inside will fill up regardless of a mask if the windows are closed. Infecting anyone outside is far fetched as the volume of air outside is very large and any air coming out of your windows will quickly get diluted. Also the person passing by wonít be exposed for more than a few seconds which is insufficient to cause an infection. This is a completely illogical and unscientific rule. They are only basing it on an earlier court ruling where the court ruled that you couldnít drink alcohol in your car as it was deemed a public place. That is an entirely different matter and has no bearing on the coronavirus issue.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 01:34   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by distiller View Post
Posted the fines as donations towards corona measure
Well said. I donated 5 figures last May towards relief fund. But after my two encounters with cops, I felt so disgusted and humiliated by them that I am not even thinking of donating this year. I will save up for paying the fines.

Quote:
Bystander without a mask outside is innocent? Man, there are doctors on this thread who dont second the motion and somehow judges know better than docs now?

Ohh btw recently someone just suggested we start wearing mask at home. I hope everyone is doing that.
frewper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 02:18   #89
BANNED

Quote:

Can this get more illogical? The only way a person won't aerosolize is when he stops breathing altogether - in which case he probably won't be the sole occupant of a car in motion! Even if 2 or more people from the same household are traveling in the same private vehicle (without a driver), it's sheer stupidity to make them wear masks, just for the sake of "protection" of people out on the road. Even with N95 masks on, the air inside the cabin will still have exhaled suspended respiratory aerosols (depending on their size), but these in no way can "rush out" to infect someone who's outside the vehicle, even if the windows are down, as the cabin is not under positive pressure. Infact, quite the opposite.
Regarding having a driver or using a taxi, masks make sense as the occupants share the same confined space for some period of time - the longer this is, the more risk. In this case, better to have all the windows rolled down so that the inside air gets continuously diluted and refreshed. Plus, leave the doors/windows open for 5 minutes before entering, allowing for the "old air" to be dispersed out.
But for a single occupant or multiple occupants living together, a ridiculous rule. And getting the courts stamp of approval makes it a legitimate fine - a win win situation for courts, cops, Babu's and ministers. Everybody has "targets" to achieve in terms of "collection" - what's more easy than such rules?

Last edited by Zen2001 : 5th May 2021 at 02:19. Reason: Typo
Zen2001 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 08:13   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Can this get more illogical?..
I know this is a rhetorical question, but yes, it already has. I've been fined for not wearing a mask inside my car twice, once in bangalore and once near karur on the highway, while traveling with the ac on ie windows closed. This is because I put the public at risk according to the receipt.

Recently, I had this fellow resident in my apartment complex tell me to put my mask on as both people had to wear it to make it effective. This at 7 in the morning on a driveway about 400m long and 20m wide, with 4 people on it. Nearly half an acre per head and he still wants others to wear masks. Yes, I had one on, because I use the lift, lowered it once I started walking.

Wearing a mask in either of the above situations is dangerous, basically because your nose isn't designed to breathe through a wet rag. Car cabins already have stale air, while exercising you take deeper breaths. Crazy people like him should stay indoors, however, they have no trouble visiting a store with 10 others as it is "allowed", just sanitise your hands and you're good to go.
avira_tk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed