Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2020, 21:12   #46
BHPian

Re: Dr. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam no more :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin76 View Post
All great numbers. How could you miss the joyful Medhuvaagathaan from Kochadiyaan; and the blissful Anjali Anjali from Duet.
I have missed many. Duet movie ones, Ilaya Nila, few more songs from Mohan movies. Like I had posted, missed songs for different emotions and posted only the ones which came to my mind as I typed. Such Versatility!!! Amazing singer. His voice was the same even in his recent songs.
Old 27th September 2020, 00:15   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Such a colossus loss, having grown up on songs sung by him and having loved his songs all through the life, it’s a loss to the entire music industry. Such a legend he was who had some amazing repertoire of songs and who will be missed surely. His legacy will remain in the songs that we play no matter what the language is.

Some of the songs are personal favourite like Sach mere yaar hain from Saagar, Aate jaate from Maine Pyar kiya, Songs from Patthar ke Phool, Saathiya from Love. Sharing a link from a lesser known SPB song that I simply loved back in the days. SPB and Chitra as a due have given us some immortal melodies and this one is a favourite.

ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:54   #48
BHPian

This is what the current Indian music (film / non film) is missing nowadays. Great compositions (melody), soulful music, and incredibly versatile singers whose voice you can differentiate even without reading or watching credits.

End of an era for many music lovers in India. As a young kid I first started recognizing SPB after Maine Pyar Kiya. And slowly with my growing interest in Hindi Film music I started enjoying some of his earlier masterpieces which he sung for Kamal Hasan. With the start of 90s and the decade of melodious hindi film music there was no looking back.

Infact sometimes I consider myself unlucky that I dont speak or understand South Indian languages and missing out on great music and cinema.

While there are en number of hits of SPB sir some of my personal favourites are songs like Hum Tum Dono jab mil Jayenge, Roja Janeman, Jaana Jaana (duniya dilwalo ki).

Salman Khan owes half of his success in the early 90s to this great man, without his voice all his musical hits would have been half as good

Last edited by Prafful_Rathod : 27th September 2020 at 10:56.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 11:56   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
Infact sometimes I consider myself unlucky that I dont speak or understand South Indian languages and missing out on great music and cinema.
You don't need to. My most favourite SPB songs are from Shankarabharam, a Telugu movie. And I don't understand Telugu.
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 16:28   #50
BHPian

The impact he has had on several generations, especially on people of Tamil Nadu, cannot be explained by words and cannot be comprehended as well. For a lot of people in Tamil Nadu, across generations, the passing away of SPB is akin to losing a part of themselves. The kind of impact these geniuses, SPB, Ilayaraja, Rahman, MSV, has had on us is indescribable. The voice of the century, at least for the people of South India, is no more. It is not just a sad day, but going to be a long sad phase for several of us. The kind of Joy, Bliss, these legends gave us is unparalleled. In a way, feel kind of blessed to have these legends as a part of our lives in our growing up years.

End of an era, an icon, true legend, etc. - even these terms fall way short to describe who SPB is. RIP Sir! We hope the Gods are singing for you now.
CliffHanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 20:02   #51
BHPian

1 of the many SPB-Ilayaraja combination songs in Kannada from the movie, Geeta

redCherry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 21:30   #52
BHPian

Like energy he is never dead. My favorite, every frame in this song has some classic vehicle or the other, if you are MB fanatic skip to 4:15

PhantomLord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 21:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

It is hard to come across with anyone who is so successful yet so humble and down to earth. He was so encouraging towards the upcoming artists.
Old 27th September 2020, 21:52   #54
BHPian

Couldn’t stop sharing “Tribute to SPB” written by my colleague (he is not a member of this forum) B. Rajamani.

Born to sing, every morning
Singing for the born, every evening
Balancing inhaling-exhaling like an inning
His synched breath was a gifted icing
SPB was euphonic and breathtaking.

If humility was his talented trait
Nodding came easily with a hefty gait
His joyous smile was a jovial beat
His jocular moments were a thrilling treat
SPB was extremely endowed to be great.

His voice box gelled like a curvy cord
Singing notes without any discord
As he pulled notes from his drawer
The lovely tunes spread thru the foyer
SPB’s voice diffused layer by layer.

A superb foil to the movie-music-melody trinity
He carved and created a friendly fraternity
As he sang with passion for posterity
Each rendition created a universal affinity
SPB’s legacy will enthral for eternity.

Last edited by murthy_p : 27th September 2020 at 22:11.
murthy_p is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 09:55   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost everyone of us in Tamilnadu feel like we have lost a member in our family. His songs have been a backbone to our joy, sorrow, elation and stress relief.

We will miss you Padmashree Padmabhushan Shri Dr. SPB.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 28th September 2020 at 09:58.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 11:03   #56
BHPian

Huge loss for the country. When someone asked him how did he manage to sing 40k plus songs in more than 13 languages, his answer was "no sir, only one language.. MUSIC!" He touched millions across the country with his classic voice.
Above all, he was a great human being, down to earth and has done many concerts without taking any fees to raise funds for charity and helped many needy people. an absolute gentleman !
srikrishna717 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 11:27   #57
BHPian

So Many long drives in India and abroad...SPB songs under Illayaraja or ARR would inevitably have the lion's share keeping me company at the wheels...feels like losing the navigator. But as many said his song's will live on forever even if new one's from him will now be exclusive privilege of the God's
Old 28th September 2020, 11:48   #58
Senior - BHPian

Most of my favourite Hindi songs of the 90s/80s were sung by SP Bala sir.

Some of my favourites:

Film Maine pyar kiya - almost all songs
Bahut pyar karte hain tumko sanam
Sun beliya
Saathiya tune kya kiya
Jiye to jye kaise
Roja janeman
Tumko ko jo dekhte he pyar hua

and many more.

SP Sir's melodious voice will remain forever in my heart.

Aum Shanti.
Old 28th September 2020, 12:25   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Where do I start?
The angst shown in "Mandram Vandha Thendral" & "Ennadi Meenakshi".......
Or the power shown in "Ballelakka", "Raakamma Kaiya Thattu", "Padayappa" & "Oruvan Oruvan"......
Or the naughtiness in "Sakkarai Inikkara Sakkarai" & "Suthi Suthi Vantheega"......
Or the sorrow in "Potri Padadi Ponnae".......
Or the effervescence in "Nan pogiren melae melae".....
Or the interlude in "Ayyayo Nenju alaiyudhadi".....
Or the brilliance in "Mun Paniya" & "Malarae Mounama" & "Sundhari Kannal Oru".....
Or the beauty in "Kavithaigal Sollava" & "Theendai"........
Or the fire in "Ilamai Itho Itho", "Baasha Paru" & "Vathikuchi Pathikaadhu da"......
Or way you smiled through "Swasame Swasame"......
Or the cajoling in "Azhagana Ratchasiyae" & "Thanga Thamarai Magale"........
Or the pain in "Megangal Ennai Thottu" & "Minnale Nee Vanthathenadi"......
Or the innocence in "Valai Osai Kala Kala" & "Idhu Oru Pon Malai Pozhudhu".......
Or the simplicity in "Ilamayenum Poongaatru", "Kaathalin Dheepam Onru" & "Raagangal Pathinaru".......
I would still have missed some or other emotion conveyed in your songs......What a LEGEND! What Versatility! You continue to live and touch lives through your songs Sir. Om Shanti! #SPB
Nice selection of songs you have mentioned here, and I am going to save it in my library.
SPB with Ilayaraja, Janaki, chitra

Last edited by jeganatu : 28th September 2020 at 12:37.
jeganatu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 12:34   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Where do I start?
The angst shown in "Mandram Vandha Thendral" & "Ennadi Meenakshi".......
Or the power shown in "Ballelakka", "Raakamma Kaiya Thattu", "Padayappa" & "Oruvan Oruvan"......
Or the naughtiness in "Sakkarai Inikkara Sakkarai" & "Suthi Suthi Vantheega"......
Or the sorrow in "Potri Padadi Ponnae".......
Or the effervescence in "Nan pogiren melae melae".....
Or the interlude in "Ayyayo Nenju alaiyudhadi".....
Or the brilliance in "Mun Paniya" & "Malarae Mounama" & "Sundhari Kannal Oru".....
Or the beauty in "Kavithaigal Sollava" & "Theendai"........
Or the fire in "Ilamai Itho Itho", "Baasha Paru" & "Vathikuchi Pathikaadhu da"......
Or way you smiled through "Swasame Swasame"......
Or the cajoling in "Azhagana Ratchasiyae" & "Thanga Thamarai Magale"........
Or the pain in "Megangal Ennai Thottu" & "Minnale Nee Vanthathenadi"......
Or the innocence in "Valai Osai Kala Kala" & "Idhu Oru Pon Malai Pozhudhu".......
Or the simplicity in "Ilamayenum Poongaatru", "Kaathalin Dheepam Onru" & "Raagangal Pathinaru".......
I would still have missed some or other emotion conveyed in your songs......What a LEGEND! What Versatility! You continue to live and touch lives through your songs Sir. Om Shanti! #SPB
This list shows his brilliance. But one minor correction, "Potri Padadi Ponnae" was sung by Mano. It is easy to confuse his voice with SPB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin76 View Post
All great numbers. How could you miss the joyful Medhuvaagathaan from Kochadiyaan; and the blissful Anjali Anjali from Duet.
Duet was a SPB tour de force. His voice and Kadri Gopalnath's sax blended so beautifully.

"Anjali Anjali", "En Kaadhale" are quite popular. But there was another peppy number "Mettupodu" where he is equally brilliant.

Last edited by satishv1987 : 28th September 2020 at 13:01. Reason: Quoted another post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks