Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 17:58   #31
BHPian

re: Dr. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam no more :(

Very sad news. Undoubtedly one of the finest singers of India. So many of his songs have kept me company on my long drives and will continue to do so. RIP, SPB.
Old 25th September 2020, 18:13   #32
BHPian

Having grown up in the late 80's and 90's, all his songs are very very close to my heart. It is a personal loss. Had been following news from August but the news which came from the hospital yesterday meant it was going downhill pretty fast.

He lives in the heart of millions. A true symbol of a unified India. 1 person who sang in so many languages and brought us all together to offer our condolences and a part of a nostalgic memory for so many of us. I remember a devotional song in Telugu dedicated to Shiva he sang which is mesmerising. A human par excellence.

You will be missed sir. God has esteemed company from today.

An ardent fan. :(
Old 25th September 2020, 18:57   #33
BHPian

Where do I start?
The angst shown in "Mandram Vandha Thendral" & "Ennadi Meenakshi".......
Or the power shown in "Ballelakka", "Raakamma Kaiya Thattu", "Padayappa" & "Oruvan Oruvan"......
Or the naughtiness in "Sakkarai Inikkara Sakkarai" & "Suthi Suthi Vantheega"......
Or the sorrow in "Potri Padadi Ponnae".......
Or the effervescence in "Nan pogiren melae melae".....
Or the interlude in "Ayyayo Nenju alaiyudhadi".....
Or the brilliance in "Mun Paniya" & "Malarae Mounama" & "Sundhari Kannal Oru".....
Or the beauty in "Kavithaigal Sollava" & "Theendai"........
Or the fire in "Ilamai Itho Itho", "Baasha Paru" & "Vathikuchi Pathikaadhu da"......
Or way you smiled through "Swasame Swasame"......
Or the cajoling in "Azhagana Ratchasiyae" & "Thanga Thamarai Magale"........
Or the pain in "Megangal Ennai Thottu" & "Minnale Nee Vanthathenadi"......
Or the innocence in "Valai Osai Kala Kala" & "Idhu Oru Pon Malai Pozhudhu".......
Or the simplicity in "Ilamayenum Poongaatru", "Kaathalin Dheepam Onru" & "Raagangal Pathinaru".......
I would still have missed some or other emotion conveyed in your songs......What a LEGEND! What Versatility! You continue to live and touch lives through your songs Sir. Om Shanti! #SPB
whencut86 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 19:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Where do I start?
====
What a LEGEND! What Versatility! You continue to live and touch lives through your songs Sir. Om Shanti! #SPB
All great numbers. How could you miss the joyful Medhuvaagathaan from Kochadiyaan; and the blissful Anjali Anjali from Duet.
Old 25th September 2020, 20:18   #35
BHPian

A voice I hear almost everyday, a very sad day indeed ! Rest in peace SPB sir!! Felt like writing something, please forgive if there are any mistakes. My maiden attempt.

Languages could not bound you,
as your truthful music is the only language.
Opportunities never left you,
as you sang every song as your first.

Awards chased you,
as they would not be credible otherwise.
Humility and humbleness did not leave you,
as you reached the pinnacle of playback music.

Countless fans in sorrow today,
as the greatest singer flew away.
But you would say only God is great,
I beg to disagree this one time!!

Last edited by venks : 25th September 2020 at 20:19. Reason: formatting issues
venks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 21:23   #36
KPR
BANNED

I still remember those goosebumps when I got on a live show of ARR when he sung "Kadhal Rojave". Person like him made our Indian film industry and not the current bunch of ill tweeters. Is there anyone in TN who doesn't love his voice esp in Thalapathy - Sundari Kannaal oru sethi's charam1 & 2! RIP. You have made a place in people's heart.
Old 25th September 2020, 22:17   #37
BHPian

Almost every contact in my WhatsApp today has S.P.B. sir in their status. Goes on to show how much he is loved. One in the family and every day he took us to the God.

Reminds me of the climax of the movie Annamayya in Telugu. Annamayya is a great poet who wrote 16000 songs on lord Balaji at Tirupati. In the end he says I’m tired writing and singing songs and I’m done with this life. He asks for moksha to the lord. This climax song is rendered by Sri S.P.B. himself.

saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 22:44   #38
BHPian

Deeply saddened on hearing the news that SPB sir, who was fondly referred to as 'Paadum Nila' is no more. One of the very few singers who has sung in almost all major Indian languages. He'll continue to live in all our hearts through his songs.

Rest in Peace Sir.
Old 25th September 2020, 23:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Having grown up listening to SPB in hindi, I came to know of his stature only when I joined for engineering in Kozhikode and got exposed to his masterpieces. The one song that made me an instant convert, its this.

RIP sir.
Old 26th September 2020, 08:30   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
May His Soul Rest in Peace!

How Ironic!!! The person with tremendous lung capacity passes away due to breathing difficulties!!
Its sad but he was also a smoker for a long time so probably that weakened him. Seems he also had couple of surgeries for his vocal chord problems and also went through bariatric procedure.

1) I Know what i don't know

2) SPB: The Accidental singer

To me, SPB leaves fond memories. He sang songs for all occasions, all moods and leaves an everlasting legacy.

He was versatile and was very friendly. Known to have had a glass of soda and sing just like that. Amazingly talented.

Sach Mere Yaar Hain from Saagar movie (Hindi) remains my all time favorite. Rest in Peace Balu Sir.

I was also amused to read today that both SPB used to sing at weddings and events with Ilayaraja managing the orchestra. Both struggled a lot during their initial days and maybe that's why both were made for each other - some of the compositions of Ilayaraja were tailor made for SPB.

The story of an enduring friendship for 5 decades

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 26th September 2020 at 08:39.
sunishsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 09:15   #41
BHPian

Heartfelt condolences. He had that versatility of voice and movement unmatched by anyone. My all time favorite.

srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 09:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Feels like a personal loss for me as if a close relative is no more.

However his songs will live forever, in that sense he is immortal.

My personal favorite song below.

Old 26th September 2020, 13:20   #43
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

SPB - what a great loss for music lovers in India and Indians living the world over!

I remember couple of concerts of SPB I've attended to watch him sing live, one in Bangalore in the 80s and another as part of AR Rahman's concert in San Francisco in 2000.

He will remain in our memories through the countless songs he has sung over many decades. He was also a very strong personality, extrovert and lived life to the fullest. Supremely talented and also an accomplished
actor, Music director and voice-over artiste.

May his soul RIP.

Here's AR Rahman's tribute to SPB

Last edited by NPV : 26th September 2020 at 13:25.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 20:20   #44
BHPian

Re: Dr. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam no more :(

Below is the song with which I got introduced to the voice of SPB. For years he was the voice behind Salman. Rest in Peace Maestro!

catchjyoti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 21:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Where do I start?
The angst shown in "Mandram Vandha Thendral" & "Ennadi Meenakshi".......
Or the power shown in "Ballelakka", "Raakamma Kaiya Thattu", "Padayappa" & "Oruvan Oruvan"......
Or the naughtiness in "Sakkarai Inikkara Sakkarai" & "Suthi Suthi Vantheega"......
Or the sorrow in "Potri Padadi Ponnae".......
Or the effervescence in "Nan pogiren melae melae".....
Or the interlude in "Ayyayo Nenju alaiyudhadi".....
Or the brilliance in "Mun Paniya" & "Malarae Mounama" & "Sundhari Kannal Oru".....
Or the beauty in "Kavithaigal Sollava" & "Theendai"........
Or the fire in "Ilamai Itho Itho", "Baasha Paru" & "Vathikuchi Pathikaadhu da"......
Or way you smiled through "Swasame Swasame"......
Or the cajoling in "Azhagana Ratchasiyae" & "Thanga Thamarai Magale"........
Or the pain in "Megangal Ennai Thottu" & "Minnale Nee Vanthathenadi"......
Or the innocence in "Valai Osai Kala Kala" & "Idhu Oru Pon Malai Pozhudhu".......
Or the simplicity in "Ilamayenum Poongaatru", "Kaathalin Dheepam Onru" & "Raagangal Pathinaru".......
I would still have missed some or other emotion conveyed in your songs......What a LEGEND! What Versatility! You continue to live and touch lives through your songs Sir. Om Shanti! #SPB

Beautifully listed! I mean, when I heard the news yesterday, I had this sudden urge to listen to his songs. Over the years, many people have associated SPB with Rajini introduction songs, but his real gems are the ones you have listed above. I mean, some of these songs are out of the world purely because of his voice. I cannot remember any other singer with so much versatility in his tone. Like the one in the movie May Madham which you listed above, I have listened to it many times but his voice is so different in some of these songs that you think its someone else! I wish there was a playlist with the songs you mentioned above. Certain I can keep it on a permanent loop!

Another thing about SPB was his natural acting. Whatever few movies he has done, his demeanour is so natural and likeable. Really wish it filmmakers had offered more roles.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed